Plenum question + more ;) - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 07-04-2004, 10:31 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Send a message via MSN to nickpeck28
Plenum question + more ;)

Okay, I finaly have some cash rolling in (sort of lol) and I was thinking about doing a few things and wanted to make sure I have everything I need. I was thinking about getting that C&N Plenum and a BBK 75mm Throttle Body, now I have a K&N FIPK and was wondering, do I need anything else to complete this setup?

Again, noob here but I cant tell if I need a new "hose" to go from the K&N to the throttle body or if that directly hooks up to it? Sorry for the lamo question but before I commit to buying said parts I want to make sure I have what I need. I looked in the MM&FF mags but all the cars have that huge 4" tube/hose because of having superchargers, so I cant see what a "normal" car has if you know what I mean.

I just bought a new set of rims, head & taillights and I ended up getting that 2 gauge Full Pillar and located some cool blue glow gauges but Im not sure on which ones I should buy to put into the pillar (on ebay).

I might have enough left over to get my whole Magnaflow system as well but I have to wait until I see how much I get after paying off 2-3 high balance credit card accounts .

As always, thanks for the help.
Advertisement

Old 07-04-2004, 10:40 AM   #2
Road Trip!

Send a message via AIM to MusclesFromBrussels
U definately wanna get some Gears in that badboy. Those r key in stangs. What do u got 5spd or Auto? either way the GT 5spds can handle 4.10's But id prb get 3.73's if i had a 5 spd cuz of gas and such. Gears make quiet a difference. Even in the V8's
MusclesFromBrussels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2004, 11:03 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by MusclesFromBrussels
U definately wanna get some Gears in that badboy. Those r key in stangs. What do u got 5spd or Auto? either way the GT 5spds can handle 4.10's But id prb get 3.73's if i had a 5 spd cuz of gas and such. Gears make quiet a difference. Even in the V8's
Oh I totaly forgot about that . Yah I have a 5sp V8 (GT). Hey stupid question, but can you have Summit install anything for you? Again, havent been there yet and am obviously not sure . I know a lot of gear heads but they all like old cars and dont toy much with anything newer.

So Ill add gears to the short list then as well. Any brand better then the other to go with? Ill thumb through the Summit Catalog here in a few.

*EDIT* Then again when I take my car to the "engine guy" Ill have him look at the gears. The previous owner had this thing suped up but took out a lot of the stuff when he sold it, so Im not even sure how "stock" the engine is in that reguard. But the stuff I mentioned that I want to get is all stock, that I can tell.
Advertisement

Old 07-04-2004, 11:05 AM   #4
Road Trip!

summit wont install. I can personally give u a place that will install ur gears tho. THey did mine and do a great job. A bit pricey but u need quality in gear instalations. I can help u with the bolt ons. I wrench on everything!
Old 07-04-2004, 11:07 AM   #5
Road Trip!

I got richmond gears. There the best. Summit sells em just for ur 8.8
Old 07-04-2004, 11:10 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I got richmond gears. There the best. Summit sells em just for ur 8.8
Cool, just added those . Thanks for all the help, I really appreciate it. Im reading as much as I can to learn more. The most I have installed in a car is a stereo (used to do that all the time years ago) so yah Ill need help for everything else .
Old 07-04-2004, 11:12 AM   #7
Road Trip!

no offense to this board but u might wanna get on a V8 board. THey could teach u a lot. Only a fwe GTs here.
Old 07-04-2004, 11:31 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Ill check it out, I always forget about the other forums.
Old 07-04-2004, 11:50 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
no stay on this board other boards suck
STEVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2004, 12:21 PM   #10
Regular

Region: Tennessee
Quote:
no offense to this board but u might wanna get on a V8 board. THey could teach u a lot. Only a fwe GTs here.
boo If all the v8's leave then there will never be v8's

boo

Reddit
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2004, 12:26 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Send a message via AIM to 03redfire cobra
Moved to Tech section!

2008 Cadillac Escalade ESV
2006 Chrysler 300c SRT8
03redfire cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2004, 02:09 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Send a message via Yahoo to dapack69
You do not want Ricgmond gears! They will whine like you would not believe.

http://www.gotstang.com/profile.php?dapack69#jump
dapack69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2004, 03:17 PM   #13
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: North Carolina
Send a message via AIM to Rick0636 Send a message via Yahoo to Rick0636
I would recommend staying with FMS gears! Richmond gears are known for whining. The more V8s we get here the more knowlege base we have. No one knows everything, certainly not me, but if I don't know it, I can usually find out for you.
Rick Kilpatrick, AAS Automotive Systems Tech, Alamance Community College, Class of 99. 06 5 speed manual Mustang with Pony pkg : GT Mac Mufflers, true duals with one custom pipe. 2.5" system. GT bumper cover, all installed March 7&8 2006. AFE Stage 1 CAI, Motoblue Underdrive pulley, GT aluminum shifter knob, honeycomb rear blackout panel,and dash kit installed. Roush hood scoop and side window louvers installed. SS taillight trim has been installed, new alum. GT steering wheel installed.
Rick0636 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2004, 03:31 PM   #14
Legacy Member
Legacy

as for Plenums, there are 4 main competitors, all with advantages, and there are big price differences, but not much difference in performance at all. Biggest bang for buck? Trick flow plenum with the Mac 70mm tbody. why? 70mm and 75mm the most performance difference is going to be a max of 2 hp, probably not that. Trick flow sells for $139 compared to much more for all the competition and very little difference in performance at all. Oh, and price wise that mac tbody that delivers almost as good of performance, well it sells for about $120. compared to over $200 for the least expensive 75mm tbody I know of. You cannot feel 2 hp.
Rick Kilpatrick, AAS Automotive Systems Tech, Alamance Community College, Class of 99. 06 5 speed manual Mustang with Pony pkg : GT Mac Mufflers, true duals with one custom pipe. 2.5" system. GT bumper cover, all installed March 7&8 2006. AFE Stage 1 CAI, Motoblue Underdrive pulley, GT aluminum shifter knob, honeycomb rear blackout panel,and dash kit installed. Roush hood scoop and side window louvers installed. SS taillight trim has been installed, new alum. GT steering wheel installed.
Old 07-05-2004, 12:30 AM   #15
Road Trip!

i didnt tell him to leave lol. Ppl can be on more then one board ya know I have richmond gears in my stang and they r quiet as a baby sleeping. Install is key in gears and whining.
Old 07-05-2004, 01:48 AM   #16
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Missouri
Send a message via AIM to 97Stallion Send a message via MSN to 97Stallion
Quote:
We may be a couple cylinders short of 8, but we know more than you think, and my little v6 is alot faster than most v8s.

60' ~ 2.1, 1/8 ~ 9.61 @ 73.4mph
Living one day at a time!

DAMN Those are some old *** numbers!!! I need updated ones!!
97Stallion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2004, 08:45 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick0636
as for Plenums, there are 4 main competitors, all with advantages, and there are big price differences, but not much difference in performance at all. Biggest bang for buck? Trick flow plenum with the Mac 70mm tbody. why? 70mm and 75mm the most performance difference is going to be a max of 2 hp, probably not that. Trick flow sells for $139 compared to much more for all the competition and very little difference in performance at all. Oh, and price wise that mac tbody that delivers almost as good of performance, well it sells for about $120. compared to over $200 for the least expensive 75mm tbody I know of. You cannot feel 2 hp.
Yah I noticed the trick flow is a lot cheaper. I might go with the trick flow to save some cash. I just sold 135 of my DVDs on ebay for a grand+ so I bid on the back end of the Magnaflow eXhaust system. Im also going to pay off a small credit card as well . Im also looking at getting the Magnaflow Xpipe w/ cats and was wondering, what type of headers would be good to pair with the whole magnaflow system?

I think Im going to hold off on the gears for now, I have already spent more then I should have lol. As for the 70mm/75mm tbody, there isnt much of a difference? Again I have a K&N FIPK so as long as it pairs w/ the new tbody/plenum Ill be happy . I think Ill go with what you mentioned, that will save a lot of cash if there isnt really that much of a difference.
Old 07-05-2004, 02:57 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
make sure if your gonnas get headers to get long tubes
STEVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2004, 09:25 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Definately long tubes
Old 07-06-2004, 10:13 AM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Alright, Long Tubes it is . I was looking at some bassani's and wow, they are a pretty penny .

I think Im going to have to hold off on those lol, cost more then I thought.
Old 07-06-2004, 10:26 AM   #21
Legacy Member
Legacy

Like I said, from all I have seen and heard, brand of tbody doesnt' really matter much, and 70mm to 75mm will at MOST get you 2hp. I have a Mac 70mm on a pro ported stock plenum, does a really good job. It was ported for 70mm by Alameda Racing in LA, I got it from some guy out west. Until they came out with the aftermarket plenums they used to say that a 75mm tbody was too much unless you were running power adders or serious horsepower.
Old 07-06-2004, 06:41 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Go with some mac's or bbk longtubes, they are like $3-400. Bassani is nice, but not worth the extra money as far as i am concerned. TB's are an ok mod down the road, but not for just basic bolt ons. Full exhaust , gears and a short throw shifter are a must
Old 07-06-2004, 10:35 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottEvil
Go with some mac's or bbk longtubes, they are like $3-400. Bassani is nice, but not worth the extra money as far as i am concerned. TB's are an ok mod down the road, but not for just basic bolt ons. Full exhaust , gears and a short throw shifter are a must
Yah, I want to get the plenum and tbody but Ill hold off on those until I find a good deal or when I have some "extra" cash floating around. I spent enough on my Magnaflow setup and my rims lol. Oh I also got that Full 2 gauge Pillar! Now I just need gauges .

Id like to do the gears but Ill see if I can get my freind to do it as I dont want to pay an assload to have some shop do it. As for the Shifter, what kind would you recommend? I was looking at some but Im not sure what a good one is really.

Thanks again.
Old 07-07-2004, 07:34 AM   #24
Legacy Member
Legacy

Send a message via AIM to whipster24 Send a message via Yahoo to whipster24
Yeah, I'm gonna probably get a MAC 70mm TB and port the stock plenum myself. Should be pretty easy to do really. I just looked through an article that showed a hp loss with a 75mm vs 70mm for blown 4.6s! That kind of suprised me. But it will be nice, that way I won't drop $200 for the accufab but I'll still pick up a few ponies with some dremel fun!

Gears and x pipe are the next mod though

"This year will go down in history. For the first time, a civilized nation has full gun registration. Our streets will be safer, our police more efficient, and the world will follow our lead into the future!"
-Adolf Hitler, 1935
whipster24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2004, 04:27 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Thumbs up

Just Joined here! Happy to be @ good site. Planning a drag day @ Palmdale on August 6th. Smoke my buddies beefed up SS again LOL. Email me if you are in the area and want to go. P.S. My pops will be there in his Haybusa Jon S. jon.straszewski@bankcardusa.com
I have an 01GT w/ frpp 3:73's, sportline springs, wms cold-air w/95mm mass-air, (ceramic) BBK equal length headers (ceramic) mac 70mm t. body, trickflow intake plenium, mac pro-chamber, flowmaster catback, Nitto drags, NX N20 150hp jets, & some good predator tuning! Best E.T. 11.79 @ 118.4mph :drive:

[IMG]C:\Documents and Settings\jon.straszewski\Desktop\TOP ****y to bar 020.JPG[/IMG]
Js281GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2004, 04:56 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Thumbs up

WOW Rick, I thought I had alot of performance parts. What kinda e.t.'s are you runnin? If you have taken it to the track yet. I agree on not spending alot of money too. (unless it's a blower) That is why I like mac.
I have an 01GT w/ frpp 3:73's, sportline springs, wms cold-air w/95mm mass-air, (ceramic) BBK equal length headers (ceramic) mac 70mm t. body, trickflow intake plenium, mac pro-chamber, flowmaster catback, Nitto drags, NX N20 150hp jets, & some good predator tuning! Best E.T. 11.79 @ 118.4mph :drive:

[IMG]C:\Documents and Settings\jon.straszewski\Desktop\TOP ****y to bar 020.JPG[/IMG]
Old 07-13-2004, 09:49 AM   #27
Legacy Member
Legacy

No, its not even set up for 1/4 mile really, esp. not with the Cobra IRS, it could still run a couple of runs and probably be fine, but for serious power most Cobras swap for straight axle GT type rear ends, that is how I got the IRS in the first place, I wanted mine to run and handle nice on the street, and that is what she does, right now its probably at about 300 or so bhp, and handles very well.
Old 07-14-2004, 11:38 AM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Send a message via AIM to tire
Quote:
I would recommend staying with FMS gears! Richmond gears are known for whining.
Quote:
what all he just said. everyone, and i mean everyone knows richmonds tend to whine.
trickflow si where its at... as far as plenums go and intakes, trickflow owns. cai/tb/intake doesn't effect the 4.6 as much as people would like, so i would concentrate on other bolt ons. as has been stated, GEARS, GEARS, GEARS... and longtubes.

austin
tire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2004, 01:50 PM   #29
Legacy Member
Legacy

One problem with Longtubes on a 4.6L, that is installing them. You just about have to either raise the engine up, or drop the entire front end down to get them in there. No room, and if you pay someone, you are talking about as much to get them installed as they cost you.
Old 09-13-2004, 04:34 PM   #30
Legacy Member
Legacy

My gears turned out to be some other gears put into a fms box. They only whine a bit though and the drone of the exhaust tends to cover that up.

Learn to do installs yourself. I'd say find a friend who will help you out with the more complicated things. I brought my car over to a friend's place and he helped me put the gears in. I did the x pipe myself, that's not complicated, just a bit tricky getting to a couple of things. subframe connectors and control arms wouldn't be bad mods for you either

"This year will go down in history. For the first time, a civilized nation has full gun registration. Our streets will be safer, our police more efficient, and the world will follow our lead into the future!"
-Adolf Hitler, 1935
Old 09-14-2004, 10:43 AM   #31
Legacy Member
Legacy

Subframe Connectors? Well, they have to be welded in, and this should be done with the weight of the car on the wheels, just about need a special drive on lift for that, not just everyone has access to one of those. I would recommend anyone doing anything to their car that they think they can do. You are a brave one to tackle gear install, I have only known a few to do that one, really. Not many mechanics will tackle that, it takes some special equipment that not just everyone has, and its something that should be done by someone that specializes in it, but I admire your spunk and gutts man! I wouldn't try it.
Old 09-14-2004, 03:49 PM   #32
Legacy Member
Legacy

Well, you just need a dial meter to measure the backlash and you could rent that at most car parts stores really. Then there are all of the wrenches, a table vise, rubber mallet, 2 lb hammer. That should do the trick really. The friend of mine that helped with the gears had done over 40 gear swaps before so I wasn't the least bit worried.

I figure I'll put the front tires up onto some ramps and use jack stands under the rear axles to get the car in the air for the subframe connectors. I haven't done any welding for a while so I'll practice on a couple pieces of scrap metal first. I imagine that I should unplug the battery before I go and start welding on my frame as well. I have another friend with a mig welder and he will let me use it for my car Then we will put in the lower control arms that night as well (a week after friday)

-Adolf Hitler, 1935
Old 09-24-2004, 12:03 PM   #33
Legacy Member
Legacy

That should work man! What kind of subframe connectors are you doing? I just have a cheap set, would like to step up to something like Kenny Brown Extremes sometime later maybe. Would have liked Global West full length tubular, but not sure that they would work with the IRS.
Old 12-14-2004, 01:28 PM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

Maximum Motorsports is the way to go for suspension. My two friends work there and they can do anything you want. (suspension). As far as gears you need a press.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT