built 4.6 2v - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 12-05-2008, 04:56 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
built 4.6 2v

So its finally taken me a while to realize that my v6 is a v6 and no matter what i do to it, it will always sound and perform like a v6. So im gonna stop at bolt-ons and im looking to do an engine swap. The engine im looking at is the 4.6 2v. Now some of you might say for all that trouble, get a bigger engine, but im on a slight budget and the 4.6 2v, in my opinion, can make the power im looking for. Now my current car is a 2002 3.8 v6 auto. In the end, my goals are to turn about 600-650rwhp through 20psi on a 2.6 kenne bell. So im gonna start the thread asking about the rotating assembly. Now i know with the 3.8, all i need to do is toss in a 4.2 crank to up displacement to 4.2L. Is this all i need to up the displacement of the 4.6, by tossing in a 5.0 crank. And if someone could show me the right package to look at here: Engine Rotating Kits - summitracing.com
that'd be awesome. Like i said, i am kind of new to the v8 scene, but i do know a decent bit about the v6's. finally in your opinion, would those eagle packages be able to support the 600+rwhp i plan on throwing at it? thanks.
tigerfan2771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-05-2008, 05:05 PM   #2
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

Send a message via AIM to PureVenom Send a message via MSN to PureVenom Send a message via Yahoo to PureVenom
Re: built 4.6 2v

I don't believe you are going to want to buy your rotating assembly from Summit. However, I will check those out later when I get home.

But to answer your general question, yes, it is just like the 3.8, a 5.0 rotating assembly is what is needed to make your engine a 5.0. I'm not 100% sure on whether it takes an over bore as well, but that doesn't matter because you should do a .020 over bore to clean up the block anyhow when you buy Gabe's...or whomever's...engine.
Old 12-05-2008, 05:20 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by PureVenom View Post
I don't believe you are going to want to buy your rotating assembly from Summit. However, I will check those out later when I get home.

But to answer your general question, yes, it is just like the 3.8, a 5.0 rotating assembly is what is needed to make your engine a 5.0. I'm not 100% sure on whether it takes an over bore as well, but that doesn't matter because you should do a .020 over bore to clean up the block anyhow when you buy Gabe's...or whomever's...engine.
ok yea i was just looking at the different options. im not sure if im gonna buy gabe's or not yet. cause i wanna at least get the bottom end fully done before i swap it in. i really dont wanna have to do it twice. and if he can get some money for it, id rather him do it. but if its cheap enough, i guess i might as well and hang onto it since it will have the computer, wiring, and stuff. and yea 3.8 officially hates me now. but the rotating assembly is all i need to finish the bottom end right? i mean pistons, rods, and crank are all thats in there right? they say theyre good for 800hp. and with rod bolt upgrade 1500hp. i wonder how much extra the rod bolts are.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-05-2008, 05:34 PM   #4
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

Send a message via AIM to PureVenom Send a message via MSN to PureVenom Send a message via Yahoo to PureVenom

The rod bolt upgrade is usually like $150 or so to the price of the kit. You want the upgraded bolts...just for good measure.

Depending on how complete the assembly is, it could be all you need. You may need some bearings and things like that...it all depends on the condition of the existing bearings as well as the completeness of the assembly.

Here is a complete, good, kit...Also, you don't have to go 5.0L to get to your goal either.

Coast High Performance - YOUR SOURCE FOR PURE HORSEPOWER & PERFORMANCE!
Old 12-05-2008, 05:47 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
The rod bolt upgrade is usually like $150 or so to the price of the kit. You want the upgraded bolts...just for good measure.

Depending on how complete the assembly is, it could be all you need. You may need some bearings and things like that...it all depends on the condition of the existing bearings as well as the completeness of the assembly.

Here is a complete, good, kit...Also, you don't have to go 5.0L to get to your goal either.

Coast High Performance - YOUR SOURCE FOR PURE HORSEPOWER & PERFORMANCE!
those prices look pretty decent. would you feel comfortable on that and 600+rwhp? and it includes the bearings and everything else i would need correct? and one more question-how do i determine the compression ratio? i would assume id want something like 8.5:1, but what determines that? i was looking at the new trick flow heads and they said the compression on a stock 4.6 would be at 10:1 with the heads.

i know i dont have to go 5.0, but if all it is is swapping out the crank and no machining required, i might as well. like you said, theres no replacement for displacement or something like that.

oh and you and gabe are doing the rotating assembly install on the big block and 5.4 yourselves correct? i guess it would be a good time for me to do the same.
Old 12-05-2008, 06:04 PM   #6
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

Yeah, gabe and I are doing the rebuilds on the 460, 5.4, and my motor when the time comes.

To figure your compression ratio, go here:

Engine Compression Ratio (CR) Calculator

You'll need to know a few things I don't have off the top of my head...but that site will let you know what you will be looking at and let you know what size dish you need in your pistons.
Old 12-05-2008, 06:59 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Yeah, gabe and I are doing the rebuilds on the 460, 5.4, and my motor when the time comes.

To figure your compression ratio, go here:

Engine Compression Ratio (CR) Calculator

You'll need to know a few things I don't have off the top of my head...but that site will let you know what you will be looking at and let you know what size dish you need in your pistons.
yea its all a lot to think about, but at least i have a competent crew helping me out. you guys ever get in touch with that guy about tomorrow?
Old 12-05-2008, 07:36 PM   #8
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerfan2771 View Post
yea its all a lot to think about, but at least i have a competent crew helping me out. you guys ever get in touch with that guy about tomorrow?
I'll let you know when gabe answers his phone.
Old 12-05-2008, 07:42 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I'll let you know when gabe answers his phone.
oh boy, i guess ill know mid day tomorrow then. where do you guys have to go?
Old 12-05-2008, 07:47 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

but back to the subject, should i be building my motor around the heads and blower im using? or are those just to top it off? i heard in the properly built 4.6, the trickflow heads can make a 4.6 produce around 380rwhp with the proper cams and intakes. that is pretty crazy. i wonder if 400rwhp is possible if i up the displacement to 5.0? but my goal in the end is to make as much power safely, on a car capable of daily driving, on a slight budget. well besided the 6k on the kenne bell. but that probably wont happen for a good while. it would make a good graduation gift from the parents though.
Old 12-05-2008, 08:03 PM   #11
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Iowa
Send a message via AIM to jimmy_beaner Send a message via MSN to jimmy_beaner Send a message via Yahoo to jimmy_beaner

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerfan2771 View Post
but back to the subject, should i be building my motor around the heads and blower im using? or are those just to top it off? i heard in the properly built 4.6, the trickflow heads can make a 4.6 produce around 380rwhp with the proper cams and intakes. that is pretty crazy. i wonder if 400rwhp is possible if i up the displacement to 5.0? but my goal in the end is to make as much power safely, on a car capable of daily driving, on a slight budget. well besided the 6k on the kenne bell. but that probably wont happen for a good while. it would make a good graduation gift from the parents though.
I'd say it's more than possible with a 5.0. Another thing you may consider if you get the trick flow heads is porting and polishing those.

It's important to remember your blower. If you want to push a fair amount of boost and you want to keep your fuel octane "low"... you'll want low compression pistons. That's something you need to look at now, and for that reason, you should plan it out now so you don't have to tear it apart again.

I'm planning a 5.0 MMR stroker (8.5:1) with trickflow ported and polished heads and stage 2 cams. And I want to mount the 2.6L KB on top.

SOLD! 2002 Sonic Blue GT, 5 Speed
Mods: MGW Short Throw Shifter, Mach 1 Brakes
Hypercoated Saleens, Eibach Pro-Kit, Bilstein shocks/struts, Borla Exhaust, Steeda Wing, 03 Cobra hood, Cobra mirrors, 03 Cobra Front Bumper, smoked fogs/headlights, 03 Cobra side skirts, Grill Delete, Mach C-pillars
jimmy_beaner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 08:37 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy_beaner View Post
I'd say it's more than possible with a 5.0. Another thing you may consider if you get the trick flow heads is porting and polishing those.

It's important to remember your blower. If you want to push a fair amount of boost and you want to keep your fuel octane "low"... you'll want low compression pistons. That's something you need to look at now, and for that reason, you should plan it out now so you don't have to tear it apart again.

I'm planning a 5.0 MMR stroker (8.5:1) with trickflow ported and polished heads and stage 2 cams. And I want to mount the 2.6L KB on top.
yea it isnt something id do right away, but maybe down the road once i get everything together. but as far as fuel octane, i dont mind 93. i dont know whether you consider that low or not. but yea, the main goal is to not have to tear it apart again. so thats why i am planning on it so far ahead. you sound like you have the same plans as me just about, but i havent even begun to look at cams. im still unsure of whether i want to do supercharger cams and deal with the sluggishness for a while or just swap them out again when i do the kenne bell. but thats another good reason why im not going 4v all in all, its going to cost a lot, but im glad im ditching the whole quick v6 thing. that just wouldve been money down the toilet.
Old 12-17-2008, 05:58 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Go big or go home! I think if you are looking for that kind of power from a 2v 4.6 you should probably go turbo. It's gonna be very hard to reach 600 rwhp on 20 psi with a roots type blower. 4v on the other hand, no problem! Either way you are gonna need a built block and the turbo should get you there for about the same price as an intercooled Kenne Bell.
slostang is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT