Another tire question - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 12-18-2008, 10:16 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Another tire question

I am about to buy some 18x9 rims and i was wondering if it would be safe to run a 275, i know it's ok on a 17 inch rim but i will have less sidewall with the 18's. Also will the 275's rub in the front? Sorry if this is a repost.....
JamesCB57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-18-2008, 10:21 AM   #2
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

Send a message via AIM to PureVenom Send a message via MSN to PureVenom Send a message via Yahoo to PureVenom
Re: Another tire question

I'm not sure on the rubbing with the newer cars, but yes, you NEED to run 275's on those 9" rims. Those are the proper size for the rim.

If there is going to be rubbing, it should only be at full lock...you should be plenty fine.
Old 12-18-2008, 01:51 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV

265/35/18s is what saleen runs on 9 wide, I would personally run a 275/35/18

the middle number is the sidewall number, the percentage of the first number as taken by the first number times (35/100) is the millimeter height the sidewall is. Keep in mind the rim as well when trying to get a stock size overall diameter.
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-18-2008, 02:10 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Thank you for the replies I think i will be running 275/35/18 on all corners, and i think that will be close enough to stock diameter. How much will i notice an increase in grip with 275 UHP tires over the stock 235 all season pirellis? If it will not be significant i can get 10" rims in the back and step it up to a 305
Old 12-18-2008, 02:14 PM   #5
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

Send a message via AIM to PureVenom Send a message via MSN to PureVenom Send a message via Yahoo to PureVenom

It depends on which UHP tire you go with...but you should see a significant change if you are not supercharged/nitroused.

The 10" rears will look nicer in my opinion and give you a much more agressive look with the fat meats out back.
Old 12-18-2008, 02:21 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by PureVenom View Post
It depends on which UHP tire you go with...but you should see a significant change if you are not supercharged/nitroused.

The 10" rears will look nicer in my opinion and give you a much more agressive look with the fat meats out back.
We all already know you like fat meats!
slostang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 03:01 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

hahahaha..... Im considering the tens but i don't like that i wouldn't be able to rotate them. Does anyone who has a staggered setup find this aggravating??
Old 12-18-2008, 03:02 PM   #8
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

I have 10.5's rear and 9's front...no aggrivation here because my rears don't last long enough to make it worth rotating anyhow. Keep in mind, if you get drag radial style tires, depending on the brand, you're only going to get between 7-20k miles out of them. So...you wouldn't rotate those anyhow.
Old 12-18-2008, 03:41 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

If you drive the car daily the only drag radial i would suggest is the nitto. All the others are a no-no in the rain!
Old 12-18-2008, 03:44 PM   #10
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by slostang View Post
If you drive the car daily the only drag radial i would suggest is the nitto. All the others are a no-no in the rain!
+1 ... you'll get about 15-20k miles out of the nitto depending on how many burnouts you do.

The rest of them...you will skate real bad in the rain.

Speaking of DR's brad...didn't you run the BFG's? Were they good or bad?
Old 12-18-2008, 05:11 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

I won't be running drag radials, I don't run the quarter, and I don't like to spend a lot of money on tires so I'll go with either Sumitomo or General summer tires.
Old 12-18-2008, 05:31 PM   #12
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

I have sumi's on the back of my car right now...315's.
Old 12-18-2008, 06:10 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Which ones and how are they holding up??
Old 12-18-2008, 07:35 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
Send a message via AIM to bobbyoooo

crap i need tires and now idk wat tires to get, and can some one tell me wat i should have in the front cuz i got 275/40 all around and it a ***** to drive sometimes cuz the car just takes itself
bobbyoooo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 08:42 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

What do you mean the car "takes itself"
Old 12-18-2008, 08:48 PM   #16
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Mississippi
Send a message via AIM to lowflyn

I've been running a 275/35-18 on a set of 18x9 wheels for a few years now. Probably have close to 20k on those tires, 8k of that on the front of the Cobra. Bought a set of 18x10 wheels for the rear of the cobra last december and put a 295/30-18 on them. I love the ride, love the look, love the handling.

By "taking itself" he's probably referring to the tendency of a larger width tire following the road closer, it's not that big of a deal but can get aggrivating at times.
Our's:
90 7up vert - new project-07 DSG Focus -DD
lowflyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 08:52 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowflyn View Post
By "taking itself" he's probably referring to the tendency of a larger width tire following the road closer, it's not that big of a deal but can get aggrivating at times.
exactly and it really gettin to me and i only been driving with them for 8 months now i cant see a few years and u cant not have ur hands off the steering wheel cuz that thing will just do like a complete reverse on u which i hate cuz some times u need to scratch ur boys while holding a drink and u cant
Old 12-18-2008, 09:47 PM   #18
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Mississippi
Send a message via AIM to lowflyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyoooo View Post
exactly and it really gettin to me and i only been driving with them for 8 months now i cant see a few years and u cant not have ur hands off the steering wheel cuz that thing will just do like a complete reverse on u which i hate cuz some times u need to scratch ur boys while holding a drink and u cant
That's what a cupholder is for... or your knees. I drive with my knees the majority of the time, I think it drives Tiff crazy..
Our's:
90 7up vert - new project-07 DSG Focus -DD
lowflyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 10:15 PM   #19
Regular

Region: Tennessee

I drive with my knees as well. I'm pretty good at it lol

Reddit
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 10:49 PM   #20
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

The taking itself comes from the directional tire a lot of the time as well.

And I have the $104 plain Sumitmos...they are the Z's or sometihng like that. Now the 2's or the 3's.
Old 12-19-2008, 02:11 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri

Quote:
The taking itself comes from the directional tire a lot of the time as well.

And I have the $104 plain Sumitmos...they are the Z's or sometihng like that. Now the 2's or the 3's.
Do you like those tires enough to buy them again?
Old 12-19-2008, 02:24 PM   #22
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

Buy them again for the purpose I bought them for to be a daily driver...yes. Buy them again for traction? No way. They are good in the rain and track well. However, it's going to be hard for me to find a set of street radials that I like for traction.
Old 12-19-2008, 03:23 PM   #23
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: California

Quote:
Buy them again for the purpose I bought them for to be a daily driver...yes. Buy them again for traction? No way. They are good in the rain and track well. However, it's going to be hard for me to find a set of street radials that I like for traction.
I have the same tires and like them....your traction problem also comes into play because you have like 500 hp and ft/lbs haha

95 GT- Sold
09 Hyundai Elantra Touring-new ride.
Looking for the next project car now
Scut95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 03:44 PM   #24
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scut95 View Post
I have the same tires and like them....your traction problem also comes into play because you have like 500 hp and ft/lbs haha
Exactly.
Old 12-24-2008, 10:13 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
+1 ... you'll get about 15-20k miles out of the nitto depending on how many burnouts you do.

The rest of them...you will skate real bad in the rain.

Speaking of DR's brad...didn't you run the BFG's? Were they good or bad?
I had them at one time and they do not like the rain at all!!!! But they had decent traction, better than the mickey's I have on right now... but then again that was many, many mods ago
Old 12-24-2008, 11:07 PM   #26
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

I'm not worried about the rain, I have the 93 for that now.
Old 12-25-2008, 01:27 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina

I have a 98 and have 265/35/18 in the front and 275/35/18 in the rear on 18x9 rims. The 265's dont scrap at all at full lock but from what I have heard the 275's in the front will.
Old 01-10-2009, 06:07 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

wat would u guys think if i ran these tires in the front NITTO Extreme Performance NT555 Tire (255/40-17) at AmericanMuscle.com - Free Shipping!
and these in the back NITTO Extreme Performance NT555 Tire (275/40-17) at AmericanMuscle.com - Free Shipping!
Old 01-10-2009, 06:08 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

o and i got the 03 cobra wheels with the silver finish not the crome 5 spoke
Old 01-10-2009, 06:42 PM   #30
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Texas
Send a message via AIM to bbunt302

You might as well go with 275s all around. I run the 255/40 and 275/40s on my fox, but with Yokohama instead of Nitto. But on the fox, rubbing issues up front are much worse than on the SN95s. If you go the same all around, you'll be able to rotate your tires from front to back. That will help extend your tire life by quite a bit.

Scary stuff.
bbunt302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 08:10 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

i already got 275/40 all around of suminoto and i cant stand how the front tires stay with the grip of the road it makes it very annoying to drive with... i do all city driving and it a pain
Old 01-10-2009, 08:22 PM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

o and wear n tear on my tires wont be that big of a factor i had my car for 8 months now and just put 5k on it im not that big of a driver and i get my friends to drive me if i go out
Old 01-10-2009, 11:52 PM   #33
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Texas
Send a message via AIM to bbunt302

Well, the 255s aren't going to make much of a difference. Either way, you still have 9" wheels.

Scary stuff.
bbunt302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 12:07 AM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

tru tru maybe ill do that then

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT