think its worth it???? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 12-21-2008, 06:38 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
Send a message via AIM to bobbyoooo
think its worth it????

Hypertech Power Programmer for 99-01 Ford Mustang w/4.6L S/C, All Trans

i was just wondering if u guys think its worth to get a tuner or if im just better off gettin it tuned by someone, and i now with the tuner it says u can change the shift points if u do that u dont gotta get a shift kit right? anyways thnx for the help
bobbyoooo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-21-2008, 06:41 PM   #2
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Mississippi
Send a message via AIM to lowflyn
Re: think its worth it????

I'd wait until you get a few mods on the car and get an actual Dynotune. You'll get much better gains this way.
Our's:
90 7up vert - new project-07 DSG Focus -DD
lowflyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 06:48 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

yea yea im gonna wait till i got all the bolt ons and wat not, i got some on my car now and down the line i was gonna get cams love the rumble and maybe be a kb who nows lol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-21-2008, 06:59 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV

get a real tune from a real tuner and you will be 100 times more happy, can tunes that are off the shelf are known to be horrible
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 07:28 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina

when should i get a tune.... only have the basics right now... UDP, CAI, O/R X, and Flows.

im getting there.
DaDant! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 07:54 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana

If your gonna buy a handheld tuner but an SCT. but I world get a little more mods first.
I biggest bang for the buck is gears, and even more so with an auto. go with 4:10s it will fell like night and day

2006 Mustang GT lots of mods ex wife has it
1979 corvette stingray #'s matching 47K org. miles
1970Chevelle SS 454 big block Old School 500hp Sold
hottcobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 08:40 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

yea yea ima pik them up 2 weeks from mon and then i just gotta find someone to install em for me, o and how much u guys think that will cost i read that someone had them done for like 500 but they got it done at a ford dealership
Old 12-21-2008, 08:49 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

o and do u guys think i should get the bbk 75mm tb or the 70mm tb
Old 12-22-2008, 08:06 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV

the tuner brand is not nearly as important as the person who wrote the tune fyi, but most seem to go SCT when they do end up getting one. I am not sure what gains you would be looking at with just the mods you have now, probably 15hp/tq and better all around drive ability and a bit better gas mileage.
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 10:01 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

i completely understand wat ur saying im gonna wait untill i have every bolt on and the 4.10 gears so hopefully by this time next year ill have all bolt ons
Old 12-22-2008, 10:18 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyoooo View Post
o and do u guys think i should get the bbk 75mm tb or the 70mm tb
well bigger is always better but unless you are doing a cam swap or forced induction thak will require more intake flow. The gains you will get are not worth the cost of the throttle body

2006 Mustang GT lots of mods ex wife has it
1979 corvette stingray #'s matching 47K org. miles
1970Chevelle SS 454 big block Old School 500hp Sold
hottcobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 10:22 AM   #12
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

Send a message via AIM to PureVenom Send a message via MSN to PureVenom Send a message via Yahoo to PureVenom

Here's my .02.

It doesn't matter when you buy the tuner. If you have the money for it now, it would not hurt to get it and get a tune for your current setup. I see you have an auto, so you would definitely benifit from the changed shift points and pressures in your current state. You would also benefit from additional timing and better fuel trims setup for 93 octane for when you are in the mood for some spirited driving.

If you went to someone like Amazon Racing for your tune, it is $125 for a mail order and free updates for when you start adding more and more mods. They will be able to get you real close via email.

Or if you had someone local you planned on using, then you could by all means use them. However, I think the car would feel a lot different to you with a tune in it's current state. Just the seat of the pants change in feel would be worth it...then you would already have the tuner for when the real mods start rolling in.

In response to your question about a shift kit, no, you wouldn't need a shift kit to change your shift points. Those are just settings inside your tune telling the car when to shift.

Also, you could get yourself 3 different tunes...one for when you want to be economical and run 87 octane...one for when you want to play around a little and run 93. And then one for the track which is a little more agressive 93. The tuner would hold them all (assuming an SCT XCal 2/3 at this point) and you could just load the one you wanted to run.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT