Power windows misaligned - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 12-21-2008, 07:57 PM   #1

Power windows misaligned

On my 2000 Mustang GT, both my driver & passenger windows are about 1/8 inch off where they should be when they are rolled up. I haven't gotten around to taking the panels off yet, but I'm being told that a window clip is likely broken. Of about 8 repair shops I called, two said that they could reattach the clips; the other six places say that the whole window needs replaced as that is the only way the clips come.

My question? Does anyone make stronger after market clips that can be replaced, or is buying new windows the only long-lasting option?

Thanks

Steeda GT
steedagt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-21-2008, 08:02 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Re: Power windows misaligned

you can buy new clips from the dealer or try to repair the clips yourself it's not that hard to do. Their is just a hole in the glass and the clip goes through it and snaps onto it's self

2006 Mustang GT lots of mods ex wife has it
1979 corvette stingray #'s matching 47K org. miles
1970Chevelle SS 454 big block Old School 500hp Sold
hottcobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 08:03 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

than again with only an 1/8th inch it might just need to be adjusted by picking up the regulator up some

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-21-2008, 08:21 PM   #4

Guess I need to first take the panels of tomorrow and see what I'm dealing with. My parts guy at Ford says he doesn't sell the clips seperately, but said the aftermarket has them.
Old 12-22-2008, 08:07 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV

there were issues back in the day with the windows on 94-04 going up to far and they put in clips to fix this~ just an FYI to keep an eye out for
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 08:49 AM   #6

Removed both panels. The same exact clip on each side was seperated from the base of the window. The factory glue did not hold up. I've been reading that some people have used Gorilla Glue and silcone with success. Only one site said silicone would not hold up.
Old 12-22-2008, 09:01 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

most people just reglue or even melt the clips together and that takes care of it.

Old 12-22-2008, 11:33 PM   #8
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: California
Send a message via AIM to MonteCitan

Quote:
Originally Posted by steedagt View Post
Removed both panels. The same exact clip on each side was seperated from the base of the window. The factory glue did not hold up. I've been reading that some people have used Gorilla Glue and silcone with success. Only one site said silicone would not hold up.
Gray silicone (the high temp/strong stuff used to make gaskets for rears/etc) is what I used at the shop on these issues when a car was out of warranty... Gave the customer the option of $.50 in parts cost, but no guarantee it'd hold up very long, or order the part and replace it for a lot more..

Never had a comeback from those who had silicone.. just have to let it set ~overnight in typical room temperatures (usually kept the cars in the shop if it was winter)

Anyhow..

Hope the repair holds for you!
Old 12-23-2008, 07:12 AM   #9

Bought some 3M Windo-weld urethane yesterday and am going to use that on the clips. $14 versus $500 for new windows? I try the $14 solution first.
Old 12-30-2008, 11:55 AM   #10

Region: Texas

USe the window weld from 3M it works great. But to insure that it does not happen agian there are a few easy things to do. Here is what I wrote on another site about what I found in my drivers door:

Quote:
Checked the glass last night and the glass has come out of the rear bracket. I also did find the up adjustment but it is not on the motor as you said it is part of the problem that these mustang have with the glass coming out of the rear bracket. The stop on the rear of the glass used the back of the rear bracket as the point of contact to stop the window. This causes a moment on the bracket that probably contributes the glass coming un-glued. Once it has come unglued the stop bracket then causes the bracket to rotate down which in turn pushed the rear of the window up causing it to sit to high and in my case rub the roof trim
You will probably notice that the rivet that holds the window channel to the regulator has become loose, if you just re-glue the glass it will come back out b/c of what I said above.

I fixed it by replaceing the rivet that holds the window channel on the regulator with a 1/4" SS bolt, lock washer and nut. I also added a #10 SS nut, bolt and washer next to the river to prevent the moment being put on the window channel when it reaches the up stop.

I have some drawings of what I did but I will have to find them.....
Old 12-30-2008, 10:35 PM   #11

Thanks for the info. and description of why the window closes higher up when the bracket comes loose. The contact with the stop bracket makes sense! I did the reglue last week and everything appears to be working fine since. The rivets on my car did not seem to be loose. If it happens again, I will take a closer look at the rivets and use your replacement method.

For now, I'm just glad to be able to close my doors and save over $500! Need that money for new tires! Can't believe 90% of the window shops I called want to replace your entire windows.

Heading to the Mustang show in Silver Springs FL next weekend.......

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT