Ram Air Induction - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 07-31-2004, 03:35 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Washington
Send a message via Yahoo to Dragon_Lady
Ram Air Induction

I'm getting a new hood for my 01 GT and I need information about Ram Air systems. Are they all compatible with any type or Ram Air hood or are there specific systems for specific hood styles? Website links would be greatly appreciated. Also are side scoopes ever functional? or are they just there for looks?
All Stock! getting ready for some minor mods: tinting, new bumper and/or bodykit, 3:73 gears, underdrive pullies, tires (they're getting bad) considering new rims. Oh ya- gonna chip it. Thanks for all your suggestions and time answering my questions guys!
Dragon_Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-31-2004, 03:40 PM   #2
I liek gramer
Legacy

Region: Florida
Send a message via AIM to WhiteStang99
side scoops = looks

ram air, we might have a tech article around here somewhere on that. It usually doesn't do much. Somebody on here has a shaker hood and all that. It's pretty pricey for not a whole lot of gain. But who all can say they have ram air?

I'd try searching the forums, I remember a while back someone linked to an article that showed how the principles behind ram air were fictional and useless.

Not to tell you you shouldn't do it, it is your car!

note, most of that is what i have picked up by reading or listening, no personal exp w/ it
WhiteStang99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2004, 03:42 PM   #3
Road Trip!

Send a message via AIM to kaper232 Send a message via Yahoo to kaper232
Side scoops arent functional and Ram Air is a waste in my opinion... Im sure you could make side scoops functional if you wanted to take the time... I doubt you will really need to cool your rear breaks off though...
kaper232 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-31-2004, 03:44 PM   #4
Road Trip!

Send a message via AIM to kaper232 Send a message via Yahoo to kaper232
Here is a link that talks bout Cold Air Intakes, Ram Air Intakes.. etc

http://v6stangs.com/index.php?page=v.../cai/index.php
kaper232 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2004, 03:50 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Welcome!

Hi! Welcome!

Here is a link to the only ram air system/hood combo i have found. There are numerous hoods taht incorporate "heat extractors" Meaning they lower overall under-hood temperatures with vents. And yes side scoops are just for looks, unless we're talking nascar or premium exotics. they do however make front bumpers with scoops built in to cool the brakes, even though the wheels do a good job of that anyway.

Ted

2000 Ford Mustang GT Convertible Silver w/ Black Leather and Mach 460 Automatic
Performance:Magnaflow Exhaust, Transgo Shift Kit,Modified Air Box Looks: Grille delete, 17x9 polished 95 Cobra R's, New GT Hood Scoop, Billet Shift knob, Custom Shift Boots
Sound: Alpine CDA-9835, Infinity Reference Comp.

Power Tour 2005 Here I Come!
Funky4.6VERT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2004, 04:14 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Washington
Send a message via Yahoo to Dragon_Lady
What a let down

Damn! 2: Guess it's just all about the pretty. It really doesn't seem like it's worth it. Thanks for the links. I'll keep reading.
All Stock! getting ready for some minor mods: tinting, new bumper and/or bodykit, 3:73 gears, underdrive pullies, tires (they're getting bad) considering new rims. Oh ya- gonna chip it. Thanks for all your suggestions and time answering my questions guys!
Dragon_Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2004, 11:34 PM   #7
Dom
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
Send a message via AIM to Dom
Ram air can work...to some effect. Like your side scoop.

To make the side scoops work you would do it like Shelby did with the '66 GT350. You would cut the area back behind the scoop out, make a plate with a tube that runs to the rear brakes to cool them, and then hollow the scoop out.

For your ram air hood, there are three companues that makes a ram air hood that works to a degree. You get the most ram air from the nose of the hood.

First one was mentioned above with the Mach 1 shaker hood scoop. The second one is by Cervini's Auto Designs that I believe is more the appearance and the "I have ram air" effect.

The third is by Suncoast Creations. The fiberglass hood and ram air kit sells for $795.

But you can buy it from www.MrBodyKit.com for $595.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT