need a clutch and... - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 12-25-2008, 10:29 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
need a clutch and...

would like to know what yalls opinions are on which one to get. looking for a stage 1 of some sort, also do I need the clutch quadrant/cable adjuster and what not. sorry not used to cable clutchs yet. any help wouldbe appericated.

-nathan

March 2010 Mustangevolution Mustang of the Month 1st eva biatch!
DarkShadows is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-25-2008, 01:18 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Re: need a clutch and...

I would say to get at least a stage 2. that way you won't have to worry about it anymore

2006 Mustang GT lots of mods ex wife has it
1979 corvette stingray #'s matching 47K org. miles
1970Chevelle SS 454 big block Old School 500hp Sold
hottcobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2008, 01:38 PM   #3
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

Send a message via AIM to PureVenom Send a message via MSN to PureVenom Send a message via Yahoo to PureVenom

I agree with the stage 2 comment above. I would say as long as you are getting a clutch, get the firewall adjuster and clutch quadrant at the same time so you can get rid of that chip *** plastic quadrant that comes stock. For an extra $60-70, it's well worth it because the stocker will go to hell eventually. I have the UPR quadrant and adjuster on mine at the moment and it has been great for 4 years. I'm about to isntall the steeda quick release due to my clutch pedal adjuster kit that lowered my pedal even with the brake pedal. It is rumored it will let me lower the clutch completely and still disengage fully...where as the UPR needs the pedal at the highest adjustment to do so.

But, here are my thoughts. I would say either go with the Centerforce DFX clutch, or go with something like a spec stage 2. I would also go with the steel flywheel if you are not just resurfacing yours. The spec flywheel is great because the friction area is replaceable so you don't have to resurface or replace the flywheel in the future. IT is just an $80 rebuild kit that takes about 10 minutes to install. It was great to see when I did mine.

Also, what are you thinking as far as install goes? You're more than welcome to bring it by my house and we can install it here. It'll cost you a couple beers tho.

When you get ready to order, if you don't have a place picked out yet, PM Atomic Performance on here. He was great when I ordered my stuff. Real fast shipment too, had it all in 2 days....and free shipping.

Also, you are NOT going to want to replace your clutch cable unless you do so with a STOCK one from ford. Do NOT get an adjustable cable. They are not nearly as strong as the stocker and will unravel/break over time.
Advertisement

Old 12-25-2008, 01:47 PM   #4
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

Send a message via AIM to PureVenom Send a message via MSN to PureVenom Send a message via Yahoo to PureVenom

On a side note, I did some serious cleaning of the car port and shop today and found that hitch if you would like to check it out. I'll be here all weekend if you get bored and want to swing by and see if it fits your car. It attaches to your bumper with a couple of plates and bolts...so I don't believe any drilling is required. It should just be a matter of whether it will hang low enough to clear your bumper cover.
Old 12-25-2008, 02:58 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by PureVenom View Post
On a side note, I did some serious cleaning of the car port and shop today and found that hitch if you would like to check it out. I'll be here all weekend if you get bored and want to swing by and see if it fits your car. It attaches to your bumper with a couple of plates and bolts...so I don't believe any drilling is required. It should just be a matter of whether it will hang low enough to clear your bumper cover.
ill try and come check it out.

Old 12-25-2008, 09:36 PM   #6
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Texas
Send a message via AIM to bbunt302

I disagree with the comment above. SPEC Stage 1 is rated up to 410 lb/ft of torque. Unless you are planning on going past that any time soon, your left leg and wallet will thank me later.

I have a SPEC Stage 1 in my 90 LX and love it. Have never had any problems with it whatsoever. I'm probably pushing around 320 lb/ft of torque at the wheels. It's a little stiff, but manageable.

Scary stuff.
bbunt302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2008, 10:06 PM   #7
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

^^^ My stage 3 is "barely there" light....

Then again, I have the 3+ and not the base 3. Although, my stage 3 wasn't bad at all...but that's compared to that ridiculous stock clutch that came with it.

I didn't look up the HP ratings of the stage 1 vs stage 2 though...
Old 12-25-2008, 10:34 PM   #8
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Texas
Send a message via AIM to bbunt302

Quote:
Originally Posted by PureVenom View Post
^^^ My stage 3 is "barely there" light....

Then again, I have the 3+ and not the base 3. Although, my stage 3 wasn't bad at all...but that's compared to that ridiculous stock clutch that came with it.

I didn't look up the HP ratings of the stage 1 vs stage 2 though...
It could be that the clutches for the 5.0s are way stiffer too. In which case, what I said above should be disregarded. I just know that it was quite a bit stiffer than the stock clutch. It's more like an on/off switch too. There's not much slipping to be done.

I think the Stage 2 is rated to 520 ft/lb vs. the 410.

Scary stuff.
bbunt302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2008, 11:18 PM   #9
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbunt302 View Post
It could be that the clutches for the 5.0s are way stiffer too. In which case, what I said above should be disregarded. I just know that it was quite a bit stiffer than the stock clutch. It's more like an on/off switch too. There's not much slipping to be done.

I think the Stage 2 is rated to 520 ft/lb vs. the 410.
No, the stock cobra clutch is a real bear. It would make your leg cramp up after 15-20 minutes of stop and go traffic. It's a lot stiffer than a GT clutch for sure.
Old 12-26-2008, 12:18 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

well just looking for a good N/A clutch. and rob i have the labor covered for the clutch (other trans parts being replaced under aftermarket warranty. ) but could use your help on the firewall adjuster and clutch quadrant. ill let you know. also got my Konis and MM camber kits on the way also

Old 12-26-2008, 08:29 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri

I have the Spec stage 2. I love it. The pedal is lighter than with the stock clutch.
Old 12-31-2008, 08:02 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arkansas

stock cobra clutch isnt that bad. do not over clutch a set up, the clutch should be the weak point of the drivetrain. over clutching a vehicle can lead to twisting or breaking things. i twisted 2 and broke 1 input shaft having a hard clutch, i am now running a super king cobra with no issues at all. i beat the crap out of this car everyday, launch on nitrous with slicks at the track, etc.
sweet2kstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 12:54 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkShadows View Post
would like to know what yalls opinions are on which one to get. looking for a stage 1 of some sort, also do I need the clutch quadrant/cable adjuster and what not. sorry not used to cable clutchs yet. any help wouldbe appericated.

-nathan
Nathan,
Most every thing that has been posted you can take to the bank. There's no bad advice there.

I'm currently using a Spec 3+ in my 1992 Mustang. With nitrous it produces a little less than 600 Lb./Ft. of torque. When I broke the input shaft on my TREMEC 3550 (not rated for that much torque!) the clutch held and was not damaged.

I'd previously destroyed a Spec 3 my fault. Spec took it back, resurfaced my flywheel, and sold me a 3+ at a ridiculously low price. And they did it all while I had lunch at Cracker Barrel! They are over in Bessemer, AL.

I'm really sold on their service. So, that's who I'd recommend and what would be a 2+ for now or, if you're going to boost the power maybe a 3.

If you'll call Spec they will tell you what you need. Their guarantee is, "We want you to be happy with our product." I like that.
Jim
The Teacher
T

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT