help, my dad got the bill for the truck... - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-30-2004, 08:34 PM   #1
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Iowa
Send a message via AIM to jimmy_beaner Send a message via MSN to jimmy_beaner Send a message via Yahoo to jimmy_beaner
help, my dad got the bill for the truck...

oooook, they replaced two head gaskets and the oil pump.... how much should that be??.... the bill is for $2100 :O:O:O:O.... the FORD DEALERSHIP, which is VERY high priced in our area laughed so hard they cried when they heard that, they said, dude, you got screwed... we would've been about $700, and we would've felt bad about that.... question, my dad wants to take them to small claims court for gouging him, since they didn't even ask him to do the work, just did it... how much should this cost? (he's going to get estimates tomorrow....)

SOLD! 2002 Sonic Blue GT, 5 Speed
Mods: MGW Short Throw Shifter, Mach 1 Brakes
Hypercoated Saleens, Eibach Pro-Kit, Bilstein shocks/struts, Borla Exhaust, Steeda Wing, 03 Cobra hood, Cobra mirrors, 03 Cobra Front Bumper, smoked fogs/headlights, 03 Cobra side skirts, Grill Delete, Mach C-pillars
jimmy_beaner is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-30-2004, 08:39 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Send a message via AIM to redrum Send a message via Yahoo to redrum
replacing heads or head gaskets?!?! head gaskets is CHEAP dude... the whole thing woulda been like... probably less than 500 bucks after labor, if you ask me. 700 at the most.
redrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2004, 08:41 PM   #3
Legacy Member
Legacy

Send a message via AIM to jimmy_beaner Send a message via MSN to jimmy_beaner Send a message via Yahoo to jimmy_beaner
just head gaskets.... and the place in Burlington would've charged him $500....

Hypercoated Saleens, Eibach Pro-Kit, Bilstein shocks/struts, Borla Exhaust, Steeda Wing, 03 Cobra hood, Cobra mirrors, 03 Cobra Front Bumper, smoked fogs/headlights, 03 Cobra side skirts, Grill Delete, Mach C-pillars
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-30-2004, 08:56 PM   #4
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Mississippi
Send a message via AIM to lowflyn
I woulda charged 400...but then again I'm just a shadetree mechanic. That's freaking ridiculous...last time my dad had his engine rebuilt it only cost him a thousand...that's for new gaskets on everything in his engine....
Our's:
90 7up vert - new project-07 DSG Focus -DD
lowflyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2004, 09:00 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Send a message via AIM to redrum Send a message via Yahoo to redrum
ok, i just looked it up to get exact prices...

summit racing says that Fel-Pro head gaskets will run you just above 20$ a piece.
and according to summit, a ford racing HIGH VOLUME fuel pump for a 302 is $55.

so, we're talkin 95$ for parts + tax. that leaves 400 for labor if they charge you 500$. sure, 400 is reasonable, because you have to take off the heads etc etc, pain in the *** but still. also, these parts are supposedly performance aftermarket parts which should probabyl cost more than the stock ones. so yea... you got jacked on the 2100$
redrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2004, 09:05 PM   #6
Legacy Member
Legacy

can you say small claims court? hahaha, he's FURIOUS

Old 08-30-2004, 09:11 PM   #7
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Michigan
Send a message via AIM to Falcon Send a message via MSN to Falcon Send a message via Yahoo to Falcon
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy_beaner
i dont blame him lol, just make sure you didnt sign something when you brought your car in that said they are not responsible or that they can fix whatever is wrong cuz then ur screwed because when you sign that supposedly you have a contract taht you accept the prices.
Full Stainless Magnaflow Exhaust, Stainless Longtubes/Off Road Y-Pipe, QTP E-Cutout, HP Tuners, Super Sucker Ram Air Kit, BMR Tunnel Brace/Driveshaft Safety Loop, Hotchkis Panhard Bar, Hypertech 160 Thermostat, CF Whisper Air Lid, Corvette FRCs, K&N, !AIR, !EGR
Falcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2004, 09:11 PM   #8
Legacy Member
Legacy

Send a message via AIM to Falcon Send a message via MSN to Falcon Send a message via Yahoo to Falcon
Quote:
i dont blame him lol, just make sure you didnt sign something when you brought your car in that said they are not responsible or that they can fix whatever is wrong cuz then ur screwed because when you sign that supposedly you have a contract taht you accept the prices. and your case about them not calling you saying they were gonna fix it goes down the crapper
Full Stainless Magnaflow Exhaust, Stainless Longtubes/Off Road Y-Pipe, QTP E-Cutout, HP Tuners, Super Sucker Ram Air Kit, BMR Tunnel Brace/Driveshaft Safety Loop, Hotchkis Panhard Bar, Hypertech 160 Thermostat, CF Whisper Air Lid, Corvette FRCs, K&N, !AIR, !EGR
Old 08-30-2004, 09:14 PM   #9
Legacy Member
Legacy

he didn't sign a thing other than leave them his name and number... they didn't even get his permission to pull the engine, yes, they pulled the engine. He called and that was before he asked them to do anything other than give an estimate, and they said "we've almost got the engine pulled"... and he goes "WHAT?!?!"... I said ESTIMATE... and they said, we'll we've got the parts ready to go in, we're finding out what all is wrong with it now... it took them 9 hours to pull the engine they said... just to pull, not pull and reinstall, and fix... just pull. They worked on it for a week already, and it's not done. They said he can pick it up Thursday of this week. They got it on I believe Tuesday of last week... maybe Wednesday or so

Old 08-30-2004, 09:19 PM   #10
Legacy Member
Legacy

He's getting screwed.
Our's:
Old 08-30-2004, 09:22 PM   #11
I liek gramer
Legacy

Region: Florida
Send a message via AIM to WhiteStang99
wow. that's rapage if I've ever seen it. I would make sure that they didn't make a mistake on the price or something, then ask why it is so expensive. you should get a parts+labor form to see the breakdown of cost.
WhiteStang99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2004, 09:23 PM   #12
Legacy Member
Legacy

yeah

Old 08-30-2004, 09:50 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
wow you got screwd,thats not cool
STEVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2004, 09:53 PM   #14
Legacy Member
Legacy

my dad did get screwed, that's why he hasn't paid them yet, lol. He says he's going to get many estimates tomorrow, like 7, and take them to them and be like $2100 is F*ing RETARDED... and say, you can either drop it to this price or I'm taking you to court.... and see what comes of it

Old 08-30-2004, 09:57 PM   #15
Legacy Member
Legacy

hahaha, I just talked to my dad, and the guy said it was $1200 in parts.... for two head gaskets and an oil pump

Old 08-30-2004, 09:57 PM   #16
Dom
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
Send a message via AIM to Dom
Quote:
"we've almost got the engine pulled"... and he goes "WHAT?!?!"...
And the lines of communication broke down from there.

They people who are running the shops at dealers suck. My mom took her SUV to the dealer, warranty thing, to check a CEL. In 30 minutes they concluded it was a valve sticking. In the following 10 minutes, my dad made the guy feel like a jackass.
Old 08-30-2004, 10:03 PM   #17
Legacy Member
Legacy

this was no dealer job... the Ford dealership would've only charged $700, which is still high... this was a hometown garage that was ''known for doing very high quality work for a reasonable price..." says the other shop in town that does Alignment, which is how we heard about them... and basically, my dad is going to court... could I get a link to those parts that were listed? The ones totalling like $95?... because that's an $1100 difference, and yeah, that's about half of what the cost was. And it'd really help to cut that $1000 off of there. and they're still over by about $500, but it's closer. Basically, my dad says they're taking him for a complete idiot. He says "I may not be a motor head, but I know how much it does, and doesn't take to replace gaskets...". He could've had a rebuilt engine put in for the amount he owes, plus a 50,000 mile warrenty... lol, not just gaskets and an oil pump... and they didn't find anythign wrong with the oil pump, just did it ''to be safe''

Old 08-30-2004, 10:17 PM   #18
Road Trip!

Send a message via AIM to kaper232 Send a message via Yahoo to kaper232
Quote:
If court doesnt work... I would say an AR-15 might make them give you some money back... Just an idea -shrugs-
kaper232 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2004, 10:21 PM   #19
Legacy Member
Legacy

AR-15?... plus, I think once they realize that we do actually kinda know how much it shoudl cost, I think they'll claim a clerical mistake, and give us a different price... but seriously, who takes more than one day to pull an engine? if that's your only job?... let's see, at $45 an hour (what they informed my dad they made AFTER they started, but weren't sure what it would be when he asked them).... times 9... that's $405 just to pull an engine?... and $405 to put it back in then I'm assuming, so that's $810 already that they shouldn't get. My auto body guy Chris pulled an engine in an hour and a half, and he doesn't do that for a living... but I guess that's why he was faster at it...

Old 08-30-2004, 10:30 PM   #20
Road Trip!

Send a message via AIM to kaper232 Send a message via Yahoo to kaper232
Yes, an AR-15.... Here is a picture of one...
kaper232 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2004, 10:31 PM   #21
I liek gramer
Legacy

Send a message via AIM to WhiteStang99
they're legal, semi-automatic M16s
WhiteStang99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2004, 10:56 PM   #22
Legacy Member
Legacy

They're fun as hell to shoot too....lol. Empty those clips as fast as you can load them...my friend got one for christmas and decided to break it in by shooting 1000 rounds through it in about 3 hours. Most fun I've ever had with a gun I might add
Our's:
Old 08-31-2004, 02:26 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

he got ****ed with no vaseline
Old 08-31-2004, 05:08 PM   #24
Legacy Member
Legacy

hahahahaha, his word was ''raped with no vaseline" that's kinda funny.... oh well, we'll see what comes of it I guess. Still blows my mind

Old 08-31-2004, 10:23 PM   #25

Send a message via AIM to 01mineralgrey6
$2k!?!?! Could have had it rebuilt for that!!
Old 08-31-2004, 10:45 PM   #26
Legacy Member
Legacy

less than that, lol

Old 09-01-2004, 05:34 PM   #27

im guessing the truck wasnt under warranty
bigj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2004, 08:29 PM   #28
Legacy Member
Legacy

no, it was a 1997, this just happened.... but I have new information, hahaha, ok, I got there, and told him my dad could get it done cheaper, and he said that's fine, he's free to do that, it's his truck, and we haven't done anything yet :O :O :O... then, he gave me a copy of the ''estimate'' and he said, if your dad wants the truck, he'll have to pay 1/2 the labor cost on that estimate because we've done half the work???... seems like he contradicted himself, but seriously, the truck was outside and the engine was in it still, and he drove it out there...., and nothing was put into it, just him saying that's what he needed, anyway, here's the NEW list of parts just as it appears:

gasket set: $278.13
oil pump: $152.82
spark plugs: $40.40
oil: $9.50
filter: $6.15
anti-freeze: $24.00
radiator: $285.60
LABOR: $993.20
head bolt set: $80.14
intake set + plenum set: $44.36
total: $2029.17

Old 09-01-2004, 08:35 PM   #29
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
no, it was a 1997, this just happened.... but I have new information, hahaha, ok, I got there, and told him my dad could get it done cheaper, and he said that's fine, he's free to do that, it's his truck, and we haven't done anything yet :O :O :O... then, he gave me a copy of the ''estimate'' and he said, if your dad wants the truck, he'll have to pay 1/2 the labor cost on that estimate because we've done half the work???... seems like he contradicted himself, but seriously, the truck was outside and the engine was in it still, and he drove it out there...., and nothing was put into it, just him saying that's what he needed, anyway, here's the NEW list of parts just as it appears:

gasket set: $278.13
oil pump: $152.82
spark plugs: $40.40
oil: $9.50
filter: $6.15
anti-freeze: $24.00
radiator: $285.60
LABOR: $993.20
head bolt set: $80.14
intake set + plenum set: $44.36
total: $2029.17
that doesnt make any sense? one day they worked on it the next they didnt? i think there is some bad communication goin on, some parts just dont fit
Old 09-01-2004, 08:39 PM   #30
Legacy Member
Legacy

he didn't wait until the next day for me... when I asked him for a sheet of what he's done, he told me they hadn't worked on it at all, and then he made a copy of his sheet, came back and said they were 1/2 done with it, and my dad would have to pay half the labor... that's like 3 minutes apart. He told my dad they were almost completely done 2 days before today.. when I stopped in, and that he could pick it up Thursday.....

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT