Mustang Evolution Forum banner

No Mufflers ??

5K views 26 replies 12 participants last post by  monstermustang 
#1 ·
Alirght im debating on getting my flowmasters cut off and just put a straight pipes on it... what im wondering is if it will mess up my car with the whole back pressure thing and if it would be louder and or sound like ****. thanks for your help in advance

#6 · (Edited)
i guess to test it before i spend the money to get them cut, i could just un bolt it fromt he xpipe and drive around like that and see if i like it... shouldnt be too much different than having a 4' pipe added to it.

yes i know i need to have the pipes completely off and to have the x pipe supported before driving all over town.

#7 ·
having pipes out the back will sound a lot diff. than just undoing the x pipes. and if you still have the factory cats it sound alright. but without cats it will sound like an old hillbilly 4x4 truck

#15 ·
whats up man, one thing my buddy did was he left his mufflers on and to give it a little bit better sound, well, alot better sound in my opinion is he just gapped is pipes with washers that way it's all still connected, looks like it's connected but still dumps some sound out of the gap which sounds great and gives you that crack and pop at decel that's one alternative

#16 ·
why would you cut them off, i am running the same exhaust and its to loud for me, 80 on the hyw and you need earplugs, do they make a good flowing muffler thats not as loud as the flows?

#18 ·
i just drove for 5 hours averaging 80mph and i didnt hear **** unless i was under a bridge lol. then again i had the alpine at like 8 all tho someone did compliment me when i turned on the car at the gas station.

#17 ·
I have the pypes mufflers. they are straight through mufflers and they almost sound more quite than the flowmasters I had

#19 ·
i'm telling you, you should definatly just gap your pipes... it does wonders... i promise ;)

#21 ·
well the performance it won't hurt you as much as if you just cut them off... because even though it's gapped like a 1/4 inch or less, it'll still have your back pressure utilizing your mufflers while at the same time.. it will allow air to get in the exhaust mostly on your decel and shifts for that good crack and pop everyone loves.

#23 ·
yeah it's a cheap fun thing to do, buddy with a GTO showed it to me. sounds really nice, i'm not sure on the exact way it's set up on a mustang for connections but we just took it right after the CAT on his and then gapped it like a 1/4 inch with washers from work that we...borrowed...and then we just tighted it down really well and it never rattles and if you get it inspected and they say you have a exhaust leak, just jack it up, take em' out, get it inspected and reinstall... and that's only once a year deal. if anything you'll have to get a longer bolt if it's to short that'll be the only expense if any

#24 ·
my bolts are long enough i have like 4 washers on each bolt lol they were too long!but they are on the out side of the clamps... im fucked when it comes to inspection anyways... no cats lol...

#26 ·
those are both nice exhaust systems, but the gapping is still free haha

#27 ·
Keep the mufflers trust me, i have two friends with mach 1's and catless h pipes and they sound like loud trucks. I have flowmasters with a magnaflow off road x pipe and i get compliments all the time. If u wish to keep your car street legal try a catted h or x pipe with a good set of high flow cats. You wont believe the difference in the loudness but the tone will still be smooth from the mufflers.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.