How much hp can a GT get with a kenne belle installed?? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 10-11-2004, 07:24 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut
Send a message via AIM to StangGt804 Send a message via Yahoo to StangGt804
How much hp can a GT get with a kenne belle installed??

Just wanted to see the specs on the hp on a 2003/2004 gt with a kb on??
StangGt804 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-11-2004, 07:27 PM   #2
Legacy Member
Legacy

per www.kennebell.net

http://www.kennebell.net/supercharge.../gt96-03_2.htm
Old 10-11-2004, 07:30 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

So with 14 psi i can add 262 more horsepower already to the stock hp on the GT? How can i pull it at 14 psi???//
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-11-2004, 07:36 PM   #4
Zim
You want to **** me?
Legacy

Region: Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by StangGt804
So with 14 psi i can add 262 more horsepower already to the stock hp on the GT? How can i pull it at 14 psi???//
:search:

I like toys
Zim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2004, 07:48 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV
14psi wont be to kind to the motor i dont think.... i wouldnt push it over 11
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2004, 07:58 PM   #6
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
So with 14 psi i can add 262 more horsepower already to the stock hp on the GT?
yes - supposedly, but it is also 262 more crank hp, not wheel hp

Quote:
How can i pull it at 14 psi???//
forged rotating assembly, ported heads, new valve springs
Old 10-11-2004, 08:00 PM   #7
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Send a message via AIM to PureVenom Send a message via MSN to PureVenom Send a message via Yahoo to PureVenom
Quote:
Replace the pistons, rods, cams, rear end, tranny, axels, prolly the block, and fuel pump...that would be a good start. The engine might hold up for a little while at 14psi stock, but, you might as well start buying the internals once you get the charger because you will be destroying them eventually. If you get good grip on a hard launch, you will effectively give yourself reason to replace the tranny and/or rear end.

If you are going to drive it like a grandma, then you should be ok all the way around. If you are going to drive it like it is stolen, as it should be driven, you will break stuff with anything over 8-10 psi.
PureVenom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2004, 08:06 PM   #8
Legacy Member
Legacy

the 8.8 is good, but upgrading to 31 spline and getting an Eaton posi would be a good idea. I think he could do on the stock cams though.
Old 10-11-2004, 08:13 PM   #9
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

Send a message via AIM to PureVenom Send a message via MSN to PureVenom Send a message via Yahoo to PureVenom
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkey
the 8.8 is good, but upgrading to 31 spline and getting an Eaton posi would be a good idea. I think he could do on the stock cams though.
The stock rearend is fine, but, if he has grip and does grip, it can go away in a hurry. The 03 cobras are breaking everything from the rear pumpkin, halfshafts, and axels when they get good grip after being modded. So, if the tranny doesn't go, and the engine doesn't blow, and you get grip, bad things could happen with that much power at the wheels (assuming about 420 hp at the wheels).

As for the cam, you are prolly right...but if you are replacing internals and have the engine apart, might as well replace that too.
Old 10-11-2004, 09:39 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

So if I you put a kb on a GT with everything stock, its going to start to break if its over 8-10 psi???// Is that what your telling me!!??
Old 10-11-2004, 09:41 PM   #11
n8r
Legacy Member
Legacy

I say just get the cobra!!!!! It already comes with forged internalls!!! Then you can get a kenne bell and be pushing some serious hp!!!!
n8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2004, 09:45 PM   #12
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

Quote:
So if I you put a kb on a GT with everything stock, its going to start to break if its over 8-10 psi???// Is that what your telling me!!??
If you drive the car hard to where the boost actually kicks in. The internals of the engine aren't forged. They are somewhat strong, but not nearly strong enough for high boost. The compression ratio is also a bit high for high boost.

Basically, you would need to fortify the internal components of the engine if you want to run a decent amount of boost on a stock GT. The stockers would suffice for a little while depending on your driving habbits, but it would just be a matter of time in my opinion.
Old 10-11-2004, 09:51 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

That sucks!! Why would they make a kb for stock GT's then?? How much would it cost to get all the internals replaced or w/e?? And where can I get it done at?
Old 10-11-2004, 10:03 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina
You Have To Buy A Damn Mustang First!
Old 10-11-2004, 10:03 PM   #15
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

The superchargers will fit fine, it is just the parts that ford puts in the GTs. They don't use forged internals because that runs the cost of the car up. That is also the reason they don't use the T56 tranny on the GTs. They need to keep the costs down enough to make the car compete in the marketplace. If they didn't keep them down, you might see the camaro running the streets and mustang being retired.

As for where to get the parts, there are a ton of parts places. Steeda has a lot of what would need to be replaced. If I were you, I would talk to someone that would prolly know more than me and see what they think you would need to replace. Off the top of my head, I would say lower compression forged pistons and forged rods.

The better way to go about it I think, would be this. If you plan on spending around $4-5k on a supercharger, go ahead and just buy a new engine instead. Pick up a 99-02 GT used and put a new engine in with the money you save. You can pick up some killer crate engines from CoastHighPerformance.com. Their engines range from stroker 4.6L engines that would be a direct swap, all the way up to 400+ ci strokers. I know they have a 393 ci engine (The 351 windsor bored and stroked to 393 ci) that puts out between 400 and 500 hp naturally aspirated. These engines can be ordered completely prepped for power adders so you would have that option down the road. I don't remember the numbers off hand, but if you check out their site, you can prolly get an idea of what kind of horsepower you could drop into your car. Keep in mind though, the more HP you make, the stronger your drive line (tranny, clutch, axels, etc) need to be.

Well, I think I have rambled long enough for this message.
Old 10-11-2004, 10:10 PM   #16
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: New Jersey
Send a message via AIM to Black95GT
With a KB Id only run 9lb, maybe just 6lb until i had a new bottom end, unless you are looking to shoot out a rod.
2003 DSG Cobra -2.2L KB, 60lbs Injectors, Single Blade TB, SCT2400 MAF, Kook's LT's, Kook's High-Flow Catted X-Pipe, Magnaflow CB, JLT RAI, MGW Short-Throw, H&R Race Springs, MM CC Plates, MM Bumpsteer, BF IRS Brace, BF Idlers, and AFS 18 Chrome Reps w/ R888s
Black95GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2004, 10:15 PM   #17
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black95GT
With a KB Id only run 9lb, maybe just 6lb until i had a new bottom end, unless you are looking to shoot out a rod.
With enough boost, you might could get some good distance shooting out a rod or two as well.
Old 10-11-2004, 10:20 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrazyPony
You Have To Buy A Damn Mustang First!
Im getting a car!! Trust me, why would I lie about buying a car??? Ill prolly have one buy this weekend!!
Old 10-11-2004, 10:54 PM   #19
Legacy Member
Legacy

dont count your eggs before your hatch your chickens or something. before I bought my evo, I was looking at buying a used corvette. I was even posting on the corvette forum and almost got in on a group buy for a part. But look what I drive now. Half the cylinders and awd instead of rwd. all i'm saying is buy the mustang first, and then research it on how to go faster. you obviously don't know what you're getting. you talk of getting an 03 cobra, and now you're talking of getting a GT.

find out what your insurance would be on those cars before you even buy one. I seriously doubt it is cheap... especially since the mustang GT is the #1 most expensive car to insure (based on an insurance website that polled all cars under $40k excluding bmw's and mercedes, etc) and since i doubt you are over 25yrs old, you might need to worry about insurance.. just a thought.

edit: in fact, if this thread didnt contain much technical information such as the rotating assembly or strength of rear end, etc, i would lock this thread. Stop posting asking us questions on what is the difference. if you want questions answered goto this linkright here and type in your search
Old 10-11-2004, 11:07 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
dont count your eggs before your hatch your chickens or something. before I bought my evo, I was looking at buying a used corvette. I was even posting on the corvette forum and almost got in on a group buy for a part. But look what I drive now. Half the cylinders and awd instead of rwd. all i'm saying is buy the mustang first, and then research it on how to go faster. you obviously don't know what you're getting. you talk of getting an 03 cobra, and now you're talking of getting a GT.

find out what your insurance would be on those cars before you even buy one. I seriously doubt it is cheap... especially since the mustang GT is the #1 most expensive car to insure (based on an insurance website that polled all cars under $40k excluding bmw's and mercedes, etc) and since i doubt you are over 25yrs old, you might need to worry about insurance.. just a thought.

edit: in fact, if this thread didnt contain much technical information such as the rotating assembly or strength of rear end, etc, i would lock this thread. Stop posting asking us questions on what is the difference. if you want questions answered goto this linkright here and type in your search
so true man!!! It seems like now I am not getting a cobra. Because of insurance issues and etc. but I am getting a GT by this weekend

Im just looking and researching on what stuff I could use for my car in advance!! theres nothing wrong with that

EDITED by monkey: don't write in all caps.
Old 10-11-2004, 11:22 PM   #21
Legacy Member
Legacy

GT insurance is higher than a cobra's insurance. did you talk to your insurace agent?

the reason is, is because of the wrecklessness of the average GT owner. A lot of people get GTs as their first cars throughout the nation, and thus being it their first car, they get into an accident. not many people under the age of 25 have cobras and thus their accident rating is lower and thus insurace is lower. if that makes any sense to you. however, the GT insurace premium are still usually higher than cobra's. talk to your agent.
Old 10-12-2004, 01:32 AM   #22
Road Trip!

Send a message via AIM to kaper232 Send a message via Yahoo to kaper232
Quote:
That sucks!! Why would they make a kb for stock GT's then??
Kenne Bell doesnt just make superchargers for people wanting to use them in a stock GT's. The ones that know how much the internals will take on a stock engine arent going to run 14 psi. They would guess that the people wanting to run the higher psi would have enough knowlegde not to do it with a stock engine. Hence, why they have different pulley sizes. Also, Kenne Bell isnt just making them for people wanting perk up a street car, Kenne Bell also makes them for people that want to build a track car.

P.S.

Some of us really dont mind helping you gain some knowledge, but there are a few of us that would rather have you search on the topics, read around the net, then come here and ask us questions. No one is calling you a liar about getting a car, cause honestly... I for one dont car if you drive a Cavi, GT, Cobra, Saleen, an S7 or even a blown Yugo. Good luck on getting your car!
kaper232 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2004, 12:04 PM   #23
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

are you buying the car and paying for it... seems like you are jumping around alot on what you are getting to be paying for it yourself.
Old 10-12-2004, 12:27 PM   #24
Legacy Member
Legacy

Actually Brandon, when I was buying my evo, I was looking at everything from vette, to cobra, to bmw, to audi, to evo, to sti, etc. I jumped around more than when my parents bought my mustang for me 6yrs ago.
Old 10-12-2004, 04:14 PM   #25
Legacy Member
Legacy

Send a message via AIM to whipster24 Send a message via Yahoo to whipster24
better not go over 6 psi unless you have an intercooler as well!

"This year will go down in history. For the first time, a civilized nation has full gun registration. Our streets will be safer, our police more efficient, and the world will follow our lead into the future!"
-Adolf Hitler, 1935
whipster24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2004, 04:33 PM   #26
Legacy Member
Legacy

why do you need an intercooler with a kenne bell? how would that even work?

a roots style blower (kenne bell) basically becomes the upper intake manifold and the air comes in like a N/A car and then gets compressed and passes into the lower intake manifold.
To have an intercooler on a roots style blower, you would need to make piping go from the upper intake to an intercooler to the lower intake. And then you would lose your some psi.
Old 10-12-2004, 06:17 PM   #27
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

Quote:

a roots style blower (kenne bell) basically becomes the upper intake manifold and the air comes in like a N/A car and then gets compressed and passes into the lower intake manifold.
To have an intercooler on a roots style blower, you would need to make piping go from the upper intake to an intercooler to the lower intake. And then you would lose your some psi.
The same way they do it on the 03/04 cobras. The have the intercooler built in. I haven't looked at where the tubing all goes, but it does have one...complete with a heat exchanger below the radiator...the next mod on my list I think...bigger one.
Old 10-12-2004, 06:20 PM   #28
Legacy Member
Legacy

i didnt know the 03 cobras had them. does it plumb after the charger into a front mount and then back to the lower manifold? or the the lower manifold shorter then normal or what?
Old 10-12-2004, 06:37 PM   #29
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: New Jersey
Send a message via AIM to Black95GT
Quote:

The one weakness of the KB, is at Cruising Speeds, going 70 for a few miles, it generates a lot of heat, because it is roots. So he would want a intercooler to help out.
2003 DSG Cobra -2.2L KB, 60lbs Injectors, Single Blade TB, SCT2400 MAF, Kook's LT's, Kook's High-Flow Catted X-Pipe, Magnaflow CB, JLT RAI, MGW Short-Throw, H&R Race Springs, MM CC Plates, MM Bumpsteer, BF IRS Brace, BF Idlers, and AFS 18 Chrome Reps w/ R888s
Black95GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2004, 06:58 PM   #30
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

Quote:
i didnt know the 03 cobras had them. does it plumb after the charger into a front mount and then back to the lower manifold? or the the lower manifold shorter then normal or what?
Here is a pic of my engine from last year in bone stock form. You can see the IC resevoir next to the radiator. You can also see the hose comnig out of it. If you zoom in you can see where it runs behind the pulley but you can't really tell from the pic exactly where things go and where they come out though. When I get the cover off my car tomorrow, I will check it out and give you a more definitive answer. Normally I would have the answer, but I just never paid much attention to where the hoses went as I haven't worked on that part yet.
Old 10-12-2004, 07:47 PM   #31
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

the intercooler is under the blower its where the lower intake goes its very odd looking i think its a water to air cooler or what ever it is.

and when i get ready to buy a nice car (next december i graduate ) then i will probably jump around also, i would love a z06 but for the money... i would probably be better off with a new cobra.... they are just to much money

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT