Mustang Evolution Forum banner

places to camp

2K views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  KyleUSAF 
#1 ·
Im looking for places here in the SE as close as possible to me to camp. the trip I want to make is a place where I will use a day to hike in, stay for 3-4 days, then use a day to hike back out. Also a place that wont frown upon you carrying a weapon. It will be in a thigh holster in the open so it can be seen. Buddy of mine and I are thinking about the august time frame. the only place i can really think of is out in East TN, up in the Appalacians. little further then I want to travel but will do. Dont know of any specific places though.

Im going to start aquiring some gear within a month. Gonna get a new tent. One that is more compact and easily packed. Same with a sleeping bag. I love my military bag, but want something smaller and lighter. Since Im not issued packs going to get one. I get 25% off all the camping stuff at Dicks Sporting Goods so i dont mind. Also need to get a flare gun, RJ can swipe a box of MREs from his armory. Then a few other things that I can get fairly cheap.

So do yall know what I mean about a good place to do that? Any suggestions

#2 ·
#4 ·
since its summer, you dont need a real nice sleeping bag. I use a $10 50 degree coleman fleece bag from big lots (i wouldn't suggest it in the other 3 seasons though, lol). as a cheap and lightweight alternative to a tent a just sleep in a hammock. 100 feet of rope, a nylon hammock, a 10x12 tarp, some tent stakes, and maybe a bug net. sounds like alot, but alot more compact than a tent and a therm-a-rest. its also really comfortable but takes a night or two to get used to. i've slept through a pretty bad storm with this set up and didn't get a rain drop on me. but whatever you do just check out www.sierratradingpost.com or www.rei.com and don't forget a water filter. msr miniworks for $70 is what i suggest; more expensive than iodine tablets but much better tasting. i bring packets of crystal light powder ($4 at publix) with me so i don't get tired of water.

heres a picture of my hammock set up. i have 2 25 foot sections of rope tied with a bunch of loops in them so i can set my hammock up in about 2 minutes; just wrap the rope around two trees and clip the hammock to the appropiate loops.

Attachments

#8 ·
since im still "employed" and my buddy is employed and I have a lot of friends working at Dicks Sporting Goods I can get chit pretty cheap. Not to worried about that. Most of the stuff we will be carrying though is military issue. Like I will hike with my web gear with a canteen or two on it, some pouches, like a first aid pouch, and then also my camelback, RJ will use his A.L.I.C.E. pack and stuff like that. Probably even wear my combat boots. (my feet take to combat boots really well)

Thanks for the sites and stuff.

Yeah a SE trip would be awesome. even if it isnt one like I am wanting to go on. Hell I just got back from a weekend on the lake a few minutes ago.

Nate whenever we go you are more the then welcome to come. Brents not allowed since he still hasnt called me....******* :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.