dudes smog - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Mustang Evolution | Community Forums > Regional Mustang Discussion

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 01-31-2006, 12:28 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Send a message via AIM to powerhungry966
dudes smog

what the hell can we do to our v6's and pass this peice of **** smog? aside from gears and drive train crap. has anyone tampered with their camshafts and heads? pistons? has anyone even stroked their cars to4.2L

1989 coupe 5.0 yeessur.
"Shake n bake"
powerhungry966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-31-2006, 07:04 PM   #2
Legacy Member
Legacy

Send a message via AIM to Thomas91169
Re: dudes smog

remember, most cars when modded right, WILL pass the sniffer.

its visual thats going to kill you.

if you have cams and a stroker, and are tuned right and still have cats, you will pass the sniffer. but if you have stuff like intake, exhaust(without cats), power adders not carb legal, youre not gonna even get past visual.

buddy up in sac with a 97 2g eclipse awd, 2.4L stroker, HKS 272/272cams, GT30 turbo, 850cc injectors, 255lph pump and aeromotive FPR, Tuned via DSMlink, with full turboback exhaust but had a cat welded in for temporary, PASSED the sniffer. after doing the test, they popped the hood(theyre supposed to do that first), and saw all this ****(the polished turbo, intake piping and fmic kinda gave it away), and failed him visually.

1998 Eclipse GST Spyder - 14b turbo | 3" Catback | Evo8 BoV | 170fwhp if that

2003 Redfire Cobra - 448whp/435wtq - Sold
Thomas91169 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2006, 05:29 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Ya I am gonna be pissed if I put a vortech S-trim on my car & I dont pass. I think this is a really good thread to help us Californians' updated with what parts they have installed when they pass smog. I have a test coming up in the next 4 months. I gotta put the stock exaust on & reflash the computer back to stock.
I have an 01GT w/ frpp 3:73's, sportline springs, wms cold-air w/95mm mass-air, (ceramic) BBK equal length headers (ceramic) mac 70mm t. body, trickflow intake plenium, mac pro-chamber, flowmaster catback, Nitto drags, NX N20 150hp jets, & some good predator tuning! Best E.T. 11.79 @ 118.4mph :drive:

[IMG]C:\Documents and Settings\jon.straszewski\Desktop\TOP ****y to bar 020.JPG[/IMG]
Js281GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-02-2006, 05:03 AM   #4
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Js281GT
I gotta put the stock exaust on & reflash the computer back to stock.
i doubt their diagnostics will figure out its a flashed tune in the ecu. obdII diagnostics couldnt find DSMlink in mine, and that you have to take the ecu out, take a chip out and stick the new one in(with dsmlink on it).

but yeah, exhaust must have cats. i hear people pass with H-pipes(since stangs come with h-pipes) but they had cats. im getting the mac o/r H with cats, so i should be fine as long as i go to a huptey off the wall ghetto place and not some high class know-it-alls.

but yeah, i dont think a vortech s-trim is carb legal. i know some ford racing kit is though, but its half as decent as a vortech and double the price(from what i hear). thus why im doubtful ill go that route with the stang in cali. a nitrous system set up right and properly hidden(no red/blue anodized crap giving fuel mods away), will likely pass visual. guy did it on his 98 cobra at the track, had the nitrous sticker and helmet, open hood. took me a while to track everything, very clean and hidden. lines had black wire looms and **** over them to look like stock wiring harnesses and everything.

Old 02-02-2006, 09:21 AM   #5
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Iowa
Send a message via AIM to jimmy_beaner Send a message via MSN to jimmy_beaner Send a message via Yahoo to jimmy_beaner

man, I'm happy I don't live in Cali, or any other state with tests... otherwise, I might actually have to run mufflers ... anyway, sucks to be you guys.

SOLD! 2002 Sonic Blue GT, 5 Speed
Mods: MGW Short Throw Shifter, Mach 1 Brakes
Hypercoated Saleens, Eibach Pro-Kit, Bilstein shocks/struts, Borla Exhaust, Steeda Wing, 03 Cobra hood, Cobra mirrors, 03 Cobra Front Bumper, smoked fogs/headlights, 03 Cobra side skirts, Grill Delete, Mach C-pillars
jimmy_beaner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2006, 02:49 AM   #6
Legacy Member
Legacy

its not that bad. just gotta be smart and do things right and make sure theyre reversable to stock.

Old 02-04-2006, 10:52 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Should I just keep my nitrous? I think the s-trim is 50 state legal. I just hope I wouldnt have to switch it back & forth every two years. If thats the case, I might as well go with a t-trim & learn how to switch it myself. Btw, how much do you think it would cost to have some1 put on the kit? I think it takes 8 hours if you know what you are doing.:dunno:
I have an 01GT w/ frpp 3:73's, sportline springs, wms cold-air w/95mm mass-air, (ceramic) BBK equal length headers (ceramic) mac 70mm t. body, trickflow intake plenium, mac pro-chamber, flowmaster catback, Nitto drags, NX N20 150hp jets, & some good predator tuning! Best E.T. 11.79 @ 118.4mph :drive:

[IMG]C:\Documents and Settings\jon.straszewski\Desktop\TOP ****y to bar 020.JPG[/IMG]
Js281GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2006, 12:04 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Send a message via AIM to powerhungry966

mm vortec is 50 state legal they have carb #'s. as long as you have a carb # you'll be fine. but having somone install it might cost u about 2-4 hundred dollars.. do your shopping around first before jumping in. i always thought nitrous was illegal, automatic 3 months in jail if caught, a friend of mine has a friend that ran it during the "races" and got caught and put him in jail.. agree gts dude livin in cali aint bad at all.. beautiful sun beautiful women oh and did i mention cars too? we're just tryna protect the beauty tiz all! haha

1989 coupe 5.0 yeessur.
"Shake n bake"
powerhungry966 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Mustang Evolution | Community Forums > Regional Mustang Discussion