window louvers ILLEGAL??? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Mustang Evolution | Community Forums > Regional Mustang Discussion



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 05-22-2013, 07:40 PM   #1
Registered User
Newbie
 
Stryker01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Mill Hall
Region: Pennsylvania
Posts: 5
window louvers ILLEGAL???

A PA state trooper pulled me over the other day and informed me that not only was my window tint illegal but so was my window louvers. Any one know if they are DOT approved or depending on the style?
Stryker01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 05-22-2013, 08:07 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular
 
MidnightBlueGT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Charlotte
Region: North Carolina
Posts: 3,887
I never heard that? But i can understand how it can be being that when they stop a car they call in the amount of people in the car or say unknown occupants, also they check to make sure no one in the car is reaching for something such as a weapon
MidnightBlueGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 12:27 AM   #3
ME Bloodhound
Staff
 
Soccerluvr4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Sacramento/Bay Area
Region: California
Posts: 14,672
Tint depends on your state, i'm in Cali and we can't have front window tint, but can have 20 layers of 5% on the back for all they care. I'm pretty sure he didn't know if the louvers are legal or not so he just said that they are.
__________________

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 05-30-2013, 07:51 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular
 
mustangchassy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Region: Indiana
Posts: 1,592
Window louvers illegal....I would of said show me the law! I have never heard of the that.
__________________
2013 GT Premium: 15% Tint/Roush Axleback/Gloss Black 5.0 Badges/2007 GT Premium (SOLD)
mustangchassy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 08:06 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular
 
Seabiscuit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Region: Maryland
Posts: 343
I used to drive around Maryland with quarter window louver with plates blocking the window on the inside and louvers on my rear window. I got pulled 3 times while that was on and nobody said anything.
Seabiscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 02:27 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular
 
Missouri Hoss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Lebanon
Region: Missouri
Posts: 265
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stryker01 View Post
A PA state trooper pulled me over the other day and informed me that not only was my window tint illegal but so was my window louvers. Any one know if they are DOT approved or depending on the style?
http://www.dmv.state.pa.us/pdotforms...ubchapterO.pdf
Missouri Hoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 02:35 PM   #7
Abominable Mustang

Regular
Staff
 
WhoDat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Anchorage
Region: Alaska
Posts: 1,925
So if I'm reading that correctly, as long as it doesn't obscure more than 50% of your rear view, you're good. I've seen what rear louvers look like from the inside, both abs plastic and aluminum, and they don't even come close to that 50%.
__________________
2012 Kona Blue 3.7L V6:
Borla LT headers, O/R h-pipe, Borla S-types, 3.73 gears,
Steeda adjustable UCA w/ mount, BMR LCAs, Airaid CAI,
LCA Relocation brackets, AE driveshaft, GT 80mm TB,
Black 18x9/10 2010 GT500 Wheels w/ Nitto NT555s,
Eibach Sportline Springs/shocks & Koni STR.T Struts
WhoDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 02:54 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular
 
Missouri Hoss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Lebanon
Region: Missouri
Posts: 265
Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida3.7L View Post
So if I'm reading that correctly, as long as it doesn't obscure more than 50% of your rear view, you're good. I've seen what rear louvers look like from the inside, both abs plastic and aluminum, and they don't even come close to that 50%.
The OP didn't specify which window, quarter side or rear, but in viewing his avatar, I assume he meant rear window louvers.

For rear louvers, you're correct. I once owned a '77 Pontiac Skybird with hinged metal rear window louvers. All you could see in the rear view mirror were several very thin lines. From the outside looking in, the view was the same.

Here's another PA statute:

§4524. Windshield obstructions and wipers
(b) Obstruction on side and rear windows.--No person shall drive any motor vehicle with any sign, poster or other nontransparent material, including ice or snow, upon the side wings or side or rear windows of the vehicle which materially obstructs, obscures or impairs the driver's clear view of the highway or any intersecting highway.
(e) Sun screening and other materials prohibited.--
1. No person shall drive any motor vehicle with any sun screening device or other material which does not permit a person to see or view the inside of the vehicle through the windshield, side wing or side window of the vehicle.
Missouri Hoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 03:15 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular
 
NicholasP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Region: Georgia
Posts: 1,161
Quote:
Originally Posted by Missouri Hoss View Post
The OP didn't specify which window, quarter side or rear, but in viewing his avatar, I assume he meant rear window louvers.

For rear louvers, you're correct. I once owned a '77 Pontiac Skybird with hinged metal rear window louvers. All you could see in the rear view mirror were several very thin lines. From the outside looking in, the view was the same.

Here's another PA statute:

§4524. Windshield obstructions and wipers
(b) Obstruction on side and rear windows.--No person shall drive any motor vehicle with any sign, poster or other nontransparent material, including ice or snow, upon the side wings or side or rear windows of the vehicle which materially obstructs, obscures or impairs the driver's clear view of the highway or any intersecting highway.
(e) Sun screening and other materials prohibited.--
1. No person shall drive any motor vehicle with any sun screening device or other material which does not permit a person to see or view the inside of the vehicle through the windshield, side wing or side window of the vehicle.
That is some bull crap
NicholasP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 10:51 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular
 
Missouri Hoss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Lebanon
Region: Missouri
Posts: 265
Quote:
Originally Posted by NicholasP View Post
That is some bull crap
I agree.
Missouri Hoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 11:17 PM   #11
ME Bloodhound
Staff
 
Soccerluvr4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Sacramento/Bay Area
Region: California
Posts: 14,672
Easy loophole right there, it says nothing that can impair your view through the rear window. If all you see are thin lines then there is no way it is impairing your view, which "technically" makes them legal.
__________________

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Mustang Evolution | Community Forums > Regional Mustang Discussion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


» Like Us On Facebook



02:06 AM


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0

MustangEvolution.com is in no way associated with or endorsed by Ford Motor Company.