Question for California residents - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Mustang Evolution | Community Forums > Regional Mustang Discussion

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 02-19-2014, 09:52 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Question for California residents

Is it illegal not to have a 3rd brake light?
larrysgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-19-2014, 11:13 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Probably, since just about anything you do to your car that isn't oem is technically "illegal" in CA...My 3rd brake light is tinted and the po po hasnt done anything to me about it yet
Engine/drivetrain mods: Pro 5.0 Short Shifter, Dragon Plenum-75mm, Accufab TB-70MM, K&N FIPK GEN.2 Air Intake, Bassani Cat Back Exhaust,Bassani Catted X Pipe, 3.73 FRPP Rear Gears,Ford Racing TA Rear Diff Cover,

Bunch of suspension goodies
ty98gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 11:37 PM   #3
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Not entirely sure. But i'm sure no cops would notice.... Besides, i live in Cali and have no front plate, tinted tail lights, tinted headlights, and no catalytic converters.... I've never had a single issue.

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-19-2014, 11:43 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

I got pulled over for my 3rd brake light being too tinted lol pretty stupid I know they just want any excuse they could find to pull you over lol I got warning but it still tinted and so far still good
saleenfan04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 11:53 PM   #5
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by saleenfan04 View Post
I got pulled over for my 3rd brake light being too tinted lol pretty stupid I know they just want any excuse they could find to pull you over lol I got warning but it still tinted and so far still good

I've only ever been pulled over once. For expires tags and no front plate in our truck. Cops don't even give the Mustang looks, they could care less about it...

Once a guy cut me off and so I pushed the clutch in and revved it to the sky. Offroad pipes you can hear from a distance...... There was a cop behind me when I did that, he could care less.

HID end all thread
Old 02-19-2014, 11:53 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
The third brake light became law on 1986. All cars made after 1986 are required to have a third brake light. Trucks were not required to have it until 1994.

Answer Via Ask.com

Pretty sure it's mandatory equipment.
Then again, so are cats. A ton of us don't have those either. But i guess if someone rear ends you, and sees you have no third brake light, they can refuse to pay up.
PonyBoyV6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 11:54 PM   #7
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by PonyBoyV6 View Post
The third brake light became law on 1986. All cars made after 1986 are required to have a third brake light. Trucks were not required to have it until 1994.

Answer Via Ask.com

Pretty sure it's mandatory equipment.
Then again, so are cats. A ton of us don't have those either. But i guess if someone rear ends you, and sees you have no third brake light, they can refuse to pay up.

Unless you drive a manual. Cause then if someone says they didn't see your brake lights, what if you weren't on the brake? Engine braking maybe? Or stopped at a light in neutral? You could argue that.

HID end all thread
Old 02-19-2014, 11:57 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Not all cops are same
Old 02-19-2014, 11:58 PM   #9
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Quote:
Not all cops are same

Then I guess 99.9999% of the cops I've ever seen like muscle cars. It's always imports I see pulled over.

HID end all thread
Old 02-20-2014, 12:01 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

It probably depends on where in California.i live in Modesto and here the cops definitely pull over sport cars way more.
Old 02-20-2014, 12:10 AM   #11
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Quote:
It probably depends on where in California.i live in Modesto and here the cops definitely pull over sport cars way more.
I'm from Sacramento...... Not that far away from Modesto. And I go to school at a private college in a fairly well off part of the bay area, zero trouble there also.

HID end all thread
Old 02-20-2014, 07:25 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
I guess if you don't have a lot of questionable parts other than that, it might not be bad. If you have other things they could ding you on, I'd consider putting one on. Then there's always the fender bender thing too. Sometimes it's what kind of mood a "lawman" is in too.
tri99gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 11:40 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

The third center high mounted brake light is a federal requirement, has nothing to do with California law. I expect, as far as the spirit goes, of the California authorities to enforce these requirements, but I've never heard of anyone being ticketed. If you happen to be pulled over and your center light doesn't work, the officer will likely inform you of that. I got a "fixit ticket" for burned out tail lamp (before the center lamps were required) so I suppose they could do the same thing for a malfunctioning center light. I doubt they would notice however if the entire light was missing.

Take the headlights always on law for motorcycles. The federal law requires that all motorcycles sold after a certain date be equipped with head lights that come on any time the engine is running, so the manufacturers removed the switch and wired the headlights always on. California has no separate law prohibiting you from installing a switch and turning them off, nor does it enforce riders to turn on their headlights in daylight if their bike was built before the law.

I think you are much less likely to attract attention if the light is missing than if it's there and doesn't work, particularly if it's not obvious where it was. A gaping hole in the trunk lid wouldn't work!
MGW, Blow Fish, AM Hood Struts
Tinted, Borla Touring AB, ProCal Tune
Full Shelby/Kicker Audio Upgrade
WJBertrand is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Mustang Evolution | Community Forums > Regional Mustang Discussion

Tags
california