anyone with experience i could use some help - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 04-03-2009, 03:28 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
anyone with experience i could use some help

you can make fun of me if you want but i wanna learn first off how do you do a good burnout with a manual and when drag racing when you start before you go do you rev it to a certain rpm and pop the clutch or what any other advice about drag racing i'm open to it so go ahead and chime in
upton7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-03-2009, 04:02 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
Send a message via AIM to OsirisGuy
Re: anyone with experience i could use some help

Actually I'm quite interested too. I'm just use to an auto and holding down both the brake and gas.
Quote:
Originally Posted by stangaroo View Post
OsirisGuy is right
2002 Mustang GT

BBK CAI - Flowmaster Catbacks - Pro 5.0 Shifter
OsirisGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 04:07 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

yup same here i just got my new 5 speed like 2.5 weeks ago
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-03-2009, 07:25 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana

rev up pop the clutch then left foot brake. tricky part is shifting fast enough to 2nd to keep it going after you run out of gear in first. you can do it you just need to be quick and make sure you have plenty of room in front of you the first few times you try.

March 2010 Mustangevolution Mustang of the Month 1st eva biatch!
DarkShadows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 11:17 AM   #5
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Florida

Step1 Not really nesserary But not a bad idea
get on a dyno to figure out the correct power-band of each gear of your manual transmission. While many people believe that the engine is putting out the most power right before the red-line, the maximum power-band actually occurs somewhat before that.
Step2
Consider purchasing a lighted shifting indicator, which can be adjusted to reflect the maximum power-band of each gear. Since you will be able to see the shift light indicator in your peripheral vision, you can keep your eyes safely on the road and still know the best time to perform your speed shift.
Step3
Implement the speed shift technique for your manual transmission by revving your engine before your launch from 2000 to 3500 rpm, depending upon the low-end torque of your vehicle (the more torque you have, the less you will need to rev your engine). Remember that the less you spin your tires, the quicker your launch will be.
Step4
Try to shift about 200 to 300 RPMs before you hit the optimum power-band for each gear. This will help to compensate for your reaction time to seeing the shifting indicator light, which may be as much as a second or even more.
Step5
Keep your foot on the gas during each speed-shift. This will cause your engine to rev high while the clutch is depressed, so you will need to make your shift quickly enough so that you do not approach the red-line, which can either burn out your engine or cause the rev limiter to kick in and shut off your engine. Either way, you will lose the drag race!

Mods-K&N CAI , True Dual Flowmaster 40, BBK Ceramic Shorties, 3.73 , 25% UDP, 3/8 Phenolic Intake Spacer ,Steeda Tri-ax, SCT Chip/Dyno Tune

Quote:
"Some people are like Slinkies; useless, but fun to push down the stairs."
Herbstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 11:28 AM   #6
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

Send a message via AIM to PureVenom Send a message via MSN to PureVenom Send a message via Yahoo to PureVenom

The key to the burnout is to first get your rear tires spinning. You need to find the RPM that lets your tires rip loose. You can practice that part on the street.

To keep the burnout going, you need to do as Darkie said...and you need to get your left foot on the brake. The key is to apply enough pressure to not roll forward, but not so much you actually stop the rear wheels from spinning as that will fry your clutch quick fast and in a hurry.

The best way I've found that worked in my GT as well, was to rev up to about 3k and then pop the clutch and as I am popping the clutch give it more gas as well. Then quickly get on the brake.

Also, if you are running street tires...like regular street radials, you do NOT need to do a burnout. In fact, a burnout will hurt your times more than help because it will make the street compound slippery. The only burnout you should do on street tires is to turn them over enough to throw any rocks/dirt/**** off them you may have picked up while rolling up to the staging lanes.

Another note, if you have street tires, you should be avoiding the water box as best you can. Street tires will bring water to the starting line....even with a john force burnout.
Old 04-03-2009, 12:33 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

the easiest thing to do is buy a line lock kit for the front brakes. than the brakes are not a part of the problem. plus your not wearing out your rear brakes

2006 Mustang GT lots of mods ex wife has it
1979 corvette stingray #'s matching 47K org. miles
1970Chevelle SS 454 big block Old School 500hp Sold
hottcobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 02:53 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

so for my car that has regular street tires i don't really need to do a burnout and to take off basically rev it to 2000 or a lil more and pop the clutch then speed shift the rest of the way?
Old 04-03-2009, 03:00 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

if your looking for a good start without much tire spin then i usual rev to about 3000 or so and let the clutch go but not just pop it, and feather the throttle till i feel the car bite

March 2010 Mustangevolution Mustang of the Month 1st eva biatch!
DarkShadows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 03:00 PM   #10
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

Send a message via AIM to PureVenom Send a message via MSN to PureVenom Send a message via Yahoo to PureVenom

Yeah. Burnouts on street tires are not beneficial. They just make the tire more slick. A couple quick clutch pops to knock any rocks and stuff off is all you really need. You'll also want to avoid the water box.
Old 04-03-2009, 03:31 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

alright thanks guys
Old 04-03-2009, 08:26 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Yeah that was great, thanks all.

Quick question though I know many that run slicks burn out in the water box, those with street go around. Do those with streets do any burnouts like to the sides of the water box? I thought this was supposed to heat up the tires no matter what?
Quote:
OsirisGuy is right
2002 Mustang GT

Old 04-03-2009, 08:47 PM   #13
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Texas
Send a message via AIM to bbunt302

In my car, I always just revved up to about 4.5-5k in second gear with the clutch in, pop off the clutch and hit the brake.

The key is to always do it in second gear as the tires will turn much faster than in 1st.

As said before, doing this on street tires is a waste. You'll just want to quickly turn them over in 1st to clean off the tires, but not heat them. It's also a good idea to do this with slicks/drag radials after your burnout.

Scary stuff.
bbunt302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 08:57 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

It’s been awhile, but I don’t know about going around the water pit. I would roll through the water, spin it in 1st gear for a few seconds then do a few dry burn outs and get it lined up. Like Louis said a brake lock or a dial proportioning valve where you can crank rear brake out then before you race dial it back in. You definitely don’t nee to pop the clutch at the line unless you know you car will hook. That comes with experience to know what RPM you car will leave the hardest without wheel spin. Most races are won or lost at the line. Work it out.
Want an 03/04 Cobra

Born:5/23/97, Build # 5722 of 6961 Builds
Cobra GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 09:27 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Forgive my ignorance but what exactly is "hooking". From what I can tell it's if the car swings to the left or right? But am I just reading into the terminology differently?
Quote:
OsirisGuy is right
2002 Mustang GT

Old 04-03-2009, 09:45 PM   #16
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Texas
Send a message via AIM to bbunt302

Quote:
Originally Posted by OsirisGuy View Post
Forgive my ignorance but what exactly is "hooking". From what I can tell it's if the car swings to the left or right? But am I just reading into the terminology differently?
Hooking is when a man and/or woman allows other men and/or women to have sex with them in exchange for money.

It's also used to describe when your car actually gets traction. Basically, it's taking off without spinning the tires.

Scary stuff.
bbunt302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 10:44 PM   #17
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV

cars have traction very differently at the track, when you find the magic point to launch at where your tires just barely spin raise it up at the track by 500 rpms at least
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 12:51 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

so about 3000 rpm and let off the cluth kinda quick but not pop it?
Old 04-05-2009, 04:04 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri

Quote:
Originally Posted by upton7 View Post
so about 3000 rpm and let off the cluth kinda quick but not pop it?
Yes. I have found out in my car I get a good launch at 3500rpm. By letting the clutch out quickly but not dumping it. It all come with time and practice.
Old 04-07-2009, 05:48 PM   #20
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: California
Send a message via AIM to MonteCitan

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbunt302 View Post
In my car, I always just revved up to about 4.5-5k in second gear with the clutch in, pop off the clutch and hit the brake.

The key is to always do it in second gear as the tires will turn much faster than in 1st.

As said before, doing this on street tires is a waste. You'll just want to quickly turn them over in 1st to clean off the tires, but not heat them. It's also a good idea to do this with slicks/drag radials after your burnout.
Agreed.. You don't need to do this with street tires unless they make you run through the water pit like atco but even then a quick spin to dry them off is all you'd need

with DRs or slicks, I would be sure to spin the tires around a bit in the water pit (just blip the gas through the water) then would rev up to ~3-3500 in second, start letting off the clutch til I feel the car start to grab and roll forward, then let it out, hit the gas and brake at the same time..

Not sure if you wanted tips with launches but on DRs with the 92 I would rev to about 3500 also, let the clutch halfway out, car's weight would shift, and move forward just a bit, once there's that much more traction for the rear tires, I let it rip.. 9 times out of 10 it would grip really well.. I have gotten several 1.8 60's on prepped tracks and BFG drag radials
Old 04-10-2009, 01:39 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

i do 2nd gear burnouts too.in my stock suspension car (upper and lowers, spherical bushing, steeda SPORT springs), i can dump it at 4500 and cut 1.60-1.65 range on mt et street radials. never broke the 1.5's though
iamdat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 10:17 PM   #22
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: California
Send a message via AIM to MonteCitan

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamdat View Post
i do 2nd gear burnouts too.in my stock suspension car (upper and lowers, spherical bushing, steeda SPORT springs), i can dump it at 4500 and cut 1.60-1.65 range on mt et street radials. never broke the 1.5's though
I broke 1.5s dropping the clutch from ~ 4800 RPMs on 26x9" slicks, and for what its worth- the ET streets DEFINITELY hook better than BFG drag radials, however.. I could never drop the clutch, even from 3500 RPMs, my car would just spin.. Car aimed right for the tree when I broke loose doing one of my aforementioned easy launches..
Old 05-31-2009, 10:09 AM   #23

I would definitely think about getting a line lock kit, hell I have one in my automatic race car now. The other thing is that around here we get cheap slicks from the circle guys and mount them on an old set of rims and when we go to the track we just switch them with our street tires. Most of the time street tires are not going to stick as well as the drag tires and if you do not "hook" your times are going to be disappointing. As far as the waterbox goes, some guys like myself roll thru the water but do not spin there tires there as this allows water to get up inside your wheel wells and once you leave the line this stored water may drop and hit your tires, so I just go past the water box and begin my burnout there. I start my car in second also then after the tires start smoking I shift it into third then I am done. It only takes between 10 and 15 second at the most.
badatt is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion