EGR VALVE - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 04-09-2009, 08:31 PM   #1

Unhappy EGR VALVE

Check Engine light came on and I took your advice and went to Autozone where they told me that the code was EGR valve. I purchased one, came home, disconnected the battery and when I reconnected it the code was erased. Is it gone for good (wishful thinking) or will it pop on again? Can I clean an EGR valve or do I need to purchase a new one?

Thank you all for your help and information on an earlier post. Can you all tell I am new at this?

Not wise for an old man to start on a young mans hobby
Eeyore is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-09-2009, 09:10 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Re: EGR VALVE

The code will pop back after driving the car, try to spray it with carb and choke cleaner and reset you OBD and try again, if not just replace it.
Want an 03/04 Cobra

Born:5/23/97, Build # 5722 of 6961 Builds
Cobra GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 03:12 PM   #3
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Maryland
Send a message via AIM to Bane-

so you bought the egr valve...and didnt replace it? im confused.
'89 Gt Hatchback H/C/I, 1.6 rockers, 75mm maf, 24lb, 70mm tb, cai, udp, full exhaust, msd ignition, 373s, Eibach Springs, Lakewood 50/50 rears, Adj Rear Control arms, A/C Delete, Smog Delete, EGR Delete,
Bane- is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-14-2009, 03:21 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bane- View Post
so you bought the egr valve...and didnt replace it? im confused.
Exactly. He bought the EGR valve while at AutoZone but for some reason he unplugged the battery previous to the repair. Now the MIL has reset and is not illuminated anymore. His question is whether the light will return.

the answer is YES if the EGR system has a problem. The EGR code does not necessarily mean there is a EGR Valve issue. It could be the solenoid or plug lines.
SaleenFiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 09:23 PM   #5
Legacy Member
Legacy

just seemed a no brainer, if the egr is throwing a code...and he bought a egr...next step would be to replace the egr correct? lol.

Just unplugging the battery will clear it until it trips it again. it will happen again so just change the egr valve.

you could also run some seafoam through the motor to help loosen up any buildup. but DO IT OUTSIDE do not do it in a enclosed space. It makes ALOT of smoke.

dump seafoam into intake tract, let it bog the motor some, poor a lil more til it bogs it down and dies. let it set for 5-10min and start it back up and watch the smoke pour out the exhaust. when it settles slightly run the car around the block so there is a load on the motor to help get rid of the rest.
'89 Gt Hatchback H/C/I, 1.6 rockers, 75mm maf, 24lb, 70mm tb, cai, udp, full exhaust, msd ignition, 373s, Eibach Springs, Lakewood 50/50 rears, Adj Rear Control arms, A/C Delete, Smog Delete, EGR Delete,
Old 04-15-2009, 07:58 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
just seemed a no brainer, if the egr is throwing a code...and he bought a egr...next step would be to replace the egr correct? lol.

Just unplugging the battery will clear it until it trips it again. it will happen again so just change the egr valve.

you could also run some seafoam through the motor to help loosen up any buildup. but DO IT OUTSIDE do not do it in a enclosed space. It makes ALOT of smoke.

dump seafoam into intake tract, let it bog the motor some, poor a lil more til it bogs it down and dies. let it set for 5-10min and start it back up and watch the smoke pour out the exhaust. when it settles slightly run the car around the block so there is a load on the motor to help get rid of the rest.

No because the EGR code is NOT necessarily ONLY for the EGR valve. What P# code did you get? More than likely is for the EGR systems and is possibly a clogged valve, hose, or even a bad solenoid, Although I am not saying its NOT the valve just other possibilities. Its not a a good idea to start just changing parts.

I have guys coming in all the time at my Dealership with the Autozone said I needed Spark Plugs or 02 sensors because I had a misfire or 02 code. So, they changed all the parts in a guessing attempt running up a huge bill. When it could be running lean/rich need a coil or 2 or even have problems further up the line causing problems (PCM or other modules)

A true diagnosis is the only correct and cheaper way for most repairs IMO.

And YES Seafoam is great!
Old 04-15-2009, 12:35 PM   #7
Legacy Member
Legacy

I was under the assumption he had the code number and it was talking about the egr.
Old 04-15-2009, 12:41 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois

whats the egr?
upton7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 01:10 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

EGR Valve = Exhaust Gas Recirculation Valve

I understand Bane, but just FYI, Even if he pulls a specific code for a specific problem you should always check all the options. I'm sure he appreciates the help you tried to provide!
Old 04-15-2009, 01:18 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

ditto on saleenfiend. most common code is gonna be a p0401. i work at ford too
iamdat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 01:20 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois

where is the egr located
upton7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 03:59 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

THEY're located on different points on different cars. its gonna be close to the intake manifold. itll have a pipe going into the exhaust as well.
Old 04-15-2009, 04:06 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

It should connect in the vicinity of the drivers side rear of the engine (if standing in front of the vehicle) on most vehicles. Has a tube that connects to the exhaust manifolds and the intakes
Old 04-15-2009, 11:58 PM   #14
Legacy Member
Legacy

dont know what year car, so I couldnt tell ya where it connects, all I know is mine is laying on the ground outside of the garage with the rest of the smog crap getting ready to take a ride to the dump with me tomorrow
Old 04-16-2009, 09:51 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
dont know what year car, so I couldnt tell ya where it connects, all I know is mine is laying on the ground outside of the garage with the rest of the smog crap getting ready to take a ride to the dump with me tomorrow
HAHAHA, same her buddy

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion