1996 mustang steering problems - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 04-16-2009, 11:14 AM   #1

Smile 1996 mustang steering problems

hi all,
I'm a newbie so bare with me. I just bought a 1996 mustang V6 auto for my daughter and I noticed that the steering has play in it. According to a mechanic, it is the lower steering shaft. How hard is this to replace and cost? Is there anything else I should look for? Mechanic says tie rod ends and rack are good with exception of rack bushings. Any ideas?

Thanks
Hank
whr1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-16-2009, 11:55 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Re: 1996 mustang steering problems

Start with the rack bushings, should help eliminate looseness, If the he is right that everything is good (tie rods, etc) and the problem continues then you probably have a bad rack.
SaleenFiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 12:58 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaleenFiend View Post
Start with the rack bushings, should help eliminate looseness, If the he is right that everything is good (tie rods, etc) and the problem continues then you probably have a bad rack.
Thanks Saleenfiend. However, I think you are misunderstanding me or i just didn't explain it correctly. I have a lot of play between the steering wheel and the rack. I can turn the steering wheel about an inch or so without it moving anything and it makes a clicking noise while turning. Also, if I grab the lower shaft by the u-joint from under the hood area, I can move it around a little. But the joint seems to be tight. A little too much in my opinion. Anymore ideas.
whr1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-16-2009, 02:38 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana

Quote:
Originally Posted by whr1966 View Post
Thanks Saleenfiend. However, I think you are misunderstanding me or i just didn't explain it correctly. I have a lot of play between the steering wheel and the rack. I can turn the steering wheel about an inch or so without it moving anything and it makes a clicking noise while turning. Also, if I grab the lower shaft by the u-joint from under the hood area, I can move it around a little. But the joint seems to be tight. A little too much in my opinion. Anymore ideas.

Reading comprehension fails me, I skimmed through and made assumptions. I don't see why the shaft needs replacement especially if it is tight. It seems like the Rack may have issues. But I would start with the Bushings as stated (depends on how Shot they are)
SaleenFiend is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion

Tags
1996 mustang