Test drove a 2000... - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 05-14-2009, 05:57 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
Test drove a 2000...

I gotta say, much improved over my 94. The styling is leaps above mine, seems to be higher shift points and more pull in all rpm ranges. Suspension seems to be stiffer (roughly same miles). Oh ya, and looks much better imo

But, i believe the price was a bit high, and what i consider a low ball offer for trade on mine. I know mines not a cherry, but its mechanically sound and a convertable (right time of the year). So, she's still sitting on the lot. Turns out i'm not as fond of the vert as i thought i was gonna be. The styling of a coupe and the aftermarket offerings for style is what draws me to the coupe. Not to mention replacing seals on a regular basis, and still possibly having leaks doesn't thrill me. So the search continues. But do I fix the "beauty marks" on mine then sell or just try to sell and find a 99 + coupe. Decisions, decisions.
Advertisement

Old 05-14-2009, 08:34 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Re: Test drove a 2000...

whatever u get make it a coupe
upton7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 09:45 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin

I'm guessing your talking about a 2000 v6...if so, it is leaps ahead of the single ports from 94 to 98. The single ports pumped out 145-150 (runnin with cavaliers and neons) compared to the split ports that made 190-193.

The 99+ are still slow compared to a lot of other cars, but have more potential to be faster, especially the manuals.

I'd definitely buy a coupe, less weight, less maintenance, and a better look overall.
If possible, I'd try and sell the current v6 vert, and pick up a 99+ coupe, a 5spd GT would be ideal, but a manual v6 could suffice.

I only say the GT because 99-01 GT's with 60,000 miles are going for the same price as 03-04 v6's with 30000 up here by me.

12 Black GT500 SVT PP l VMP TVS l JLT123 l O/R X l 28x11.50Rx15 M/T Street R's l BMR Suspension l Recaros

03 Sonic Blue 3.8 / 17 Magnetic Fusion Sport 2.7 EB
sonicpony03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-14-2009, 11:21 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

I would love to find a 99-01 GT but, sadly, its not in the budget right now. I have 2 kids and a wife just starting her own salon (lots of up front costs). So the V6 will be good enough. Automatic though, I like manuals for a while but because its a DD and mostly in town driving it becomes an annoyance to me. Thanx for the info on the single port compared to split port. Ideally i want an 05+ coupe but that's still a few years off for me
Old 05-14-2009, 11:47 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

^^^Yah I hear ya, very understandable, I want to get a GT or some sort of 4V v8, but college costs are kickin my ***. My current stang is paid off, so I don't want to get rid of it, and adding a large car payment to my current expenses isn't wise...so I'll probably wait a couple years

12 Black GT500 SVT PP l VMP TVS l JLT123 l O/R X l 28x11.50Rx15 M/T Street R's l BMR Suspension l Recaros

Old 05-15-2009, 08:35 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV

you should be able to get a 2000~ v6 in good shape with good miles for very cheap like 3,500 or so~ heck, someone on this site picked up an 01 gt with 55k miles on it in good shape for 4,000 so they are out there.

Also do NOT trade your car... sell it outright and then buy unless you like losing a ton of money. Most banks will give you 3 months before they close on a loan if you had to have one to sell your current car and you can then use that cash to pay on the new car's loan. Only downside is you have to close within 3 months~ so if you dont sell you still have to buy the new car.
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 05:24 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

thanx for the info. I've never had a loan for any car (hate making payment) so i'm not sure how it all work. Never taken a loan for a car before. Would take a special car for me to make payments. Are you talking about 3500-4000 from a dealer or private seller? Seems low for a dealer, at least in my area. Witch is why i prefer to find a private seller.
I guess hindsight is 20/20 and I probably jumped the gun a little when i bought the vert, but i'll continue to search.
Old 05-16-2009, 10:50 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

I'm sure he is talking about private sellers. Dealerships tack on a premium for these cars, its rediculous sometimes. Every once in a while you'll find a dealer that's dropped the price of a car lower than what they normally would...and you get lucky...as long as there's nothing wrong with it

Old 05-17-2009, 09:17 AM   #9
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Maryland
Send a message via AIM to wiarumas Send a message via MSN to wiarumas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otlaw80 View Post
thanx for the info. I've never had a loan for any car (hate making payment) so i'm not sure how it all work. Never taken a loan for a car before. Would take a special car for me to make payments. Are you talking about 3500-4000 from a dealer or private seller? Seems low for a dealer, at least in my area. Witch is why i prefer to find a private seller.
I guess hindsight is 20/20 and I probably jumped the gun a little when i bought the vert, but i'll continue to search.
a car loan isnt a bad idea if its under reasonable terms - plus its good for your credit, which is important if you plan on starting a small business with your wife.

Please visit: TheEchoBoom: Gen Y Blog and Forum
wiarumas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 08:03 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiarumas View Post
a car loan isnt a bad idea if its under reasonable terms - plus its good for your credit, which is important if you plan on starting a small business with your wife.
+1

Old 05-17-2009, 11:35 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oregon
Send a message via MSN to bloodyspirit058

found my 94 gt for with 76k on it for 5k listed, i called up and tehy said straight out "first 4300 gets it" i guess tehy didn't want it sitting there, doesn't seem to have to many problems cept now its making some odd noises that i'm guessing has to do with normal wear since its probably been driven like a v8 should be...

1994 GT, stock gears, stock shifter, stock engine, stock rims (or knock offs).

Quote:
Originally Posted by sti2gsxr
There was a case of the stuff stacked at the end of an aisle. Definately not cold or in the cooler. Also it was over $7 for the two bottles.
bloodyspirit058 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 12:32 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

I'm not cuttin down on v6's cuz i used to have one but here is what happened when i upgraded. Switching from a v6 auto 3 speed with 4th gear o/d to v8 4 speed with 5th gear o/d gave me BETTER gas mileage. When I sold my v6 and bought my gt my payments were 5$ less a month and somehow my insurance went down 50 bucks. If your worried about your wife just take off the GT emblems my mom still doesn't know i got a v8 lol
upton7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 08:21 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

^nice

Old 05-28-2009, 11:19 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana

Yea, I would have to agree with most people. If you can afford to put the money away to buy the car outright you can afford to pay a low premium on a 5-6K GT. It will help build your credit and you will enjoy the GT tons more! I think you should take the risk and make the leap! You won't regret it.
SaleenFiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 09:05 AM   #15

Region: Minnesota

Werd on what Saleen said, sometimes you gotta just do it.
crazyeyedkilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 03:50 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiarumas View Post
I never prefer car loan or any type of loan. It means just you are incappable of handling that things.

Nice Place for HID Conversion Kits

Look For Your Motorcycle HID Lights
caryabhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 05:25 PM   #17
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Maryland
Send a message via AIM to wiarumas Send a message via MSN to wiarumas

Quote:
Originally Posted by caryabhi View Post
I never prefer car loan or any type of loan. It means just you are incappable of handling that things.
i completely disagree. having loans does not mean you are incappable of handling those things. it gives people the opportunity to afford something that they would otherwise be able to in a certain amount of time. for example, if someone takes out a 36 month loan for a car it doesn't mean they are incapable of handling it, but rather, they receive the car up front and pay it off over pretty much the same time it would take for the individual to save up and pay it off with cash. the difference is, you get the car up front, you pay interest along with the principle over the 3 years, the bank that receives your payments + interest and utilizes that money for their workers, mortages, other loans, investments, etc (credit is the blood of our entire society).

its not a matter of being incapable of affording those things, its about self control and living within your means. you could hypothetically afford the car with a payment pushing on 25% of your income, but that wouldn't be smart. same with houses and student loans. these investments are pretty much mandatory and are very beneficial as long as you live within your means.

Please visit: TheEchoBoom: Gen Y Blog and Forum
wiarumas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 08:44 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Thank you for that, there are too many people I know that don't understand that concept

Old 07-02-2009, 08:11 AM   #19
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by caryabhi View Post
Yes this is exactly why I live under rock... buying a house is so easy for most just to simply purchase. I never understand why people go in debt for a house. I can understand a car in some cases~ though. When you first start out its acceptable to take out a small loan, and a good idea, for your first car. This is to help you get something more reliable and help you build credit.

Never taking out a loan will hurt your credit... well it wont hurt it since you wont ever build any to hurt. So when you go to buy that house (yup you will have to take a loan out on it unless your parents are rich) no will turn you down since you have no credit history. When you get all mad and tell them you always buy it all never have loans your great with money... they will say "prove it" and you cant since you have no credit history. Thus your years of apartment living (if you can get one) begin.

The interest you pay is HORRIBLE no doubt about it, you pay SO much that is just gone, and a car loan is a horrible investment as you will not get money out of it... but as with anything under certain circumstances its acceptable.

I had to take student loans out. It was either that or dont go to college... I did apply for every scholarship possible and got one for the first two years which helped a ton but after that I had to take out some (not much overall thankfully) to help. I dont regret it one bit as now I have a much better paying job and enjoy what I do vs not going to college and working in a dump or having to fight for years to get a good job. Thats debt.... cant do anything about that one. The interest is low though and I will pay them off soon but just something I had to have.

I myself hate debt and dont want to be in debt other than a house~ just saying~ I know some are stupid and rack up to much debt and live above their ability and they are the ones that screw it all up for the rest. Credit cards are horrible as well if you keep a balance on them.
Old 07-02-2009, 11:16 AM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oregon
Send a message via MSN to bloodyspirit058

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectorV View Post
I myself hate debt and dont want to be in debt other than a house~ just saying~ I know some are stupid and rack up to much debt and live above their ability and they are the ones that screw it all up for the rest. Credit cards are horrible as well if you keep a balance on them.
credit cards are the devil, if you ever get one, never get a student one, even if you are a student, mine has 22% interest (i was making enough money i could just pay it off fast) but i got married and moved and now there is like 2k just stuck on the card, it won't come off! I did get a capitol one card with 6% interest for emergencies and it helped get my mustang and its almost paid off.

but like everyone says, if you don't cut your payments to close to your income, you'll be fine, i've done student loans for one year of college and paid them off no problem.

1994 GT, stock gears, stock shifter, stock engine, stock rims (or knock offs).

Quote:
Originally Posted by sti2gsxr
There was a case of the stuff stacked at the end of an aisle. Definately not cold or in the cooler. Also it was over $7 for the two bottles.
bloodyspirit058 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 11:48 AM   #21
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

^^ transfer the balance to another card some will give you zero percent for the live of it, you can try to transfer to the card you have.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion