Nitrogen ? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 07-13-2009, 02:04 PM   #1
Blogger
Blogger

Region: Louisiana
Send a message via MSN to rickf73 Send a message via Skype™ to rickf73
Nitrogen ?

Got a newbie question here, haven't been paying attention for a while. What is the purpose of putting nitrogen in your tires.
rickf73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-13-2009, 02:35 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Re: Nitrogen ?

it is used to regulate the psi changes in the tires. Normal air expands and contracts as it gets hot and cold, where as nitrogen does not, which keeps it at a constant psi. good for cars that have Tire Pressure Monitoring Sensors to help keep that stupid light off

March 2010 Mustangevolution Mustang of the Month 1st eva biatch!
DarkShadows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 03:30 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV

also they dont leak as much so they require less checks and fills to get the pressure correct
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-13-2009, 03:34 PM   #4
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

Send a message via AIM to PureVenom Send a message via MSN to PureVenom Send a message via Yahoo to PureVenom

Also, keep in mind, once you go nitrogen, you won't be able to fill your tires with regular air again without taking them off the rim and giving them an extensive cleaning. This is per several places here in town when I asked them about it. Also, a couple recommended not ever putting air in them again without buying new tires.

So...keep that in mind. Low tire pressure on a long trip or something like that you will need to find a nitrogen fill station not just any air fill.
Old 07-13-2009, 03:49 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by PureVenom View Post
Also, keep in mind, once you go nitrogen, you won't be able to fill your tires with regular air again without taking them off the rim and giving them an extensive cleaning. This is per several places here in town when I asked them about it. Also, a couple recommended not ever putting air in them again without buying new tires.

So...keep that in mind. Low tire pressure on a long trip or something like that you will need to find a nitrogen fill station not just any air fill.
ive added air with no problem before (on the mothers minivan) just ruins the mix. we then sucked the air back out completely then brought it back up with nitrogen later on. but i dont know forsure if any issues would arise, but fine so far

Old 07-13-2009, 03:50 PM   #6
Legacy Member
Legacy

Send a message via AIM to MarkuzLS1

Who ever told you nitrogen doesn't expand and contract was smoking crack, or doesn't know anything about physics. It's Boyle's laws. If you increase the temperature, you increase the pressure. It's as simple as that. Nitrogen might be a bit more stable than the atmospheric gas mix we breathe, but saying it doesn't expand and contract is just plain false.

I like turtles.
MarkuzLS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 04:07 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkuzLS1 View Post
Who ever told you nitrogen doesn't expand and contract was smoking crack, or doesn't know anything about physics. It's Boyle's laws. If you increase the temperature, you increase the pressure. It's as simple as that. Nitrogen might be a bit more stable than the atmospheric gas mix we breathe, but saying it doesn't expand and contract is just plain false.
Well i may have mis spoke. i dont remember the explaination of it directly since i dont sell it.

Old 07-13-2009, 04:08 PM   #8
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

Send a message via AIM to PureVenom Send a message via MSN to PureVenom Send a message via Yahoo to PureVenom

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkShadows View Post
ive added air with no problem before (on the mothers minivan) just ruins the mix. we then sucked the air back out completely then brought it back up with nitrogen later on. but i dont know forsure if any issues would arise, but fine so far
According to several places in town, they stated it was a volatile mix to add regular air to the nitrogen in the tire already. We went through this with Chrissy's car as some tard before she bought it filled the tires with nitrogen. Asked around since she had a low tire and every shop we talked to stated the same thing...do not mix the two. Since it was so consistent from shop to shop....I didn't mix the two.
Old 07-13-2009, 04:30 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Send a message via AIM to Y2E0L0L5OGWT Send a message via Yahoo to Y2E0L0L5OGWT

Quote:
Originally Posted by PureVenom View Post
According to several places in town, they stated it was a volatile mix to add regular air to the nitrogen in the tire already. We went through this with Chrissy's car as some tard before she bought it filled the tires with nitrogen. Asked around since she had a low tire and every shop we talked to stated the same thing...do not mix the two. Since it was so consistent from shop to shop....I didn't mix the two.
Air is roughly 80% Nitrogen...Adding air to a nitrogen filled tire will not do any harm...
'05 GT - Borla Catback, JLT Series 3 Intake & SCT SF3 Tuner, Koni Adjustable Shocks/Struts, H&R Race Springs, Roush Shifter, Hawk HP+ Brakes all around, Steeda Front Sway Bar & End-Links, Royal Purple Fluids
'2011 F-250 Super Duty Crew Cab - 6.7L PSD 4x4
Y2E0L0L5OGWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 04:44 PM   #10
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

Like I said, I'm reporting what the shops, both nitro fill and non nitro fill have said.
Old 07-13-2009, 07:07 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois

I've also heard not to fill tires that have nitrogen, with air. However the having to clean the rim makes no sense to me?? Nitrogen may expand, but from personal experience its not near as much as air. After a 15 minute drive at highway speeds there was no increase in pressure(or at least less than 1/2 psi) compared to air wich can see anywhere from 1.5 to 2 psi change
Old 07-13-2009, 08:00 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
Send a message via AIM to OsirisGuy

+1 For Markuz and Yellow (or however it's spelled).

Earth's atmosphere at STP is about 80% Nitrogen with some mixtures of Oxygen, Argon and other gases.

Not just physics but also chemistry. For any element as Pressure increases so does Temperature and the reverse is also true. So if a warm day occurs the Nitrogen will still expand. Tires should also warm up with highway driving. This is why higher latitudes require more heat to boil water, because the pressure is too low.

As for Oxygen and Nitrogen being a hazardous mixture that just sounds silly. Nitrogen and Oxygen molecules are very stable due to their strong bond making properties. Because of the absence of electrons in their valence shell both elements in pure form are found as paired together and thus very stable, as N[subscript]2[/subscript] and O[subscript]2[/subscript].

Maybe they were just lying to get the business
Quote:
Originally Posted by stangaroo View Post
OsirisGuy is right
2002 Mustang GT

BBK CAI - Flowmaster Catbacks - Pro 5.0 Shifter
OsirisGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 04:41 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: West Virgina

If you are one of the 85% of Americans who
don't regularly check tire pressure, you need
nitrogen.
We take in nitrogen with every breath. Air is composed of:

1% Water Vapor and Other Gases – Escapes up to 250 times faster than Nitrogen
21% Oxygen – Escapes 3-4 times faster than Nitrogen
78% Nitrogen – The largest molecule in
air, dry, non-flammable.
Because of their large size, nitrogen molecules are the least permeable and stay in your tire longer.

It's not about the nitrogen. It's about reducing oxygen, water vapor and other gases.

By reducing the percentage of oxygen, water vapor and other gases in your tires from 22% to 7% or lower, your tires will maintain proper pressure longer than if you use “plain old air.” For example, with 95% nitrogen in your tires, they retain optimal pressure three to four times longer.

Proper tire pressure is a big deal.
Maintain it with nitrogen, and you'll see
these three primary benefits:

Increased Fuel Efficiency – Correct tire pressure keeps the manufacturer's recommended “contact patch” on the road. This lessens the rolling resistance and maximizes fuel efficiency. Read On...

Longer Tire Life – When it comes in contact with other materials, oxygen causes oxidation. Oxidation can make rubber brittle and cause it to lose tensile strength. In addition, at high temperatures and pressures, oxygen reacts and damages inner tire liners and belt packages; nitrogen does not. Read On...

Increased Safety – Under-inflated tires cause 90% of blowouts. Nitrogen provides more reliable pressure for reduced blowout potential. Read On...
Other benefits:

Improved TPMS Performance – If you have a new car, you likely are plagued by a flashing light telling you your tire pressure is low. For example, one woman's light was going off every four to five weeks. After inflating with nitrogen, her light didn't reappear for 53 weeks!

More Predictable Pressure Fluctuation – NASCAR teams use nitrogen so they can more accurately predict tire pressure fluctuation. Regular compressed air can fluctuate considerably when water vapor is present. Read On...

Longer Rim Life – Rim rust caused by condensation from water vapor and other gases can get caught in valves and create slow leaks in tires. Nitrogen is completely dry, so it eliminates the potential for condensation.
Why not eliminate all oxygen and water vapor?
What's right for me – 95% or 98%?

Numerous studies have proven that nitrogen in tires reduces the volume of gases that escape more quickly and cause damaging oxidation. However, research also has shown that nitrogen purity beyond a certain point does not provide additional benefits. In fact, with a nitrogen purity above 93.4%? in passenger tires, oxygen actually begins to migrate back into the tire. You can get all the benefits of nitrogen with a purity level between 93-98%.

Bridgestone/Firestone researchers say that 93-95% nitrogen is all you need. Read On...

According to Ford Motor Co., there is no difference between 96% and 99% nitrogen purity. Read On...
Who Else Is Using Nitrogen?

NASCAR - NASCAR teams use nitrogen because it allows them to more accurately predict tire pressure fluctuation. Nitrogen fluctuates with temperature change, but it does so less than when water vapor is present. Read On... In addition, higher nitrogen levels eliminate the explosive properties of oxygen (oxygen loses its explosive properties at around 9% or less) Read On... NASCAR uses bottled nitrogen for portability. The bottles are delivered to the track by Praxair. Read On...

Commercial Airlines – The Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) requires nitrogen in all commercial aircraft tires to eliminate the potential for water vapor (inherent in normal compressed air) from freezing at high altitudes. In addition, aircraft manufacturers such as Boeing use nitrogen membranes in their On-Board Inert Gas Generation Systems (OBIGGS) to "top" fuel tanks with nitrogen - an inert gas that does not support combustion.

U.S. Government – NASA and the U.S. military use nitrogen for many of the same reasons it used in commercial aircraft.

Food Processors and Packagers – Oxygen hastens both the chemical breakdown and microbial spoilage of many foods. Think meat, potato chips, cookies, etc. To help preserve foods longer, processors and packagers often use modified atmosphere packaging (MAP) and controlled atmosphere packaging (CAP) that replaces some or all of the oxygen in the air inside the
package with nitrogen.
How is nitrogen separated from other gases in air?

Membranes are the heart of any nitrogen system. Just like a tire, the membranes are permeable. When thousands of these permeable tubes are filled with air at high pressures, smaller molecules leak out while the larger nitrogen molecules travel through the tubes into a holding tank to fill your tires or
for other uses.

Still have questions? Feel free to browse the rest of this site or let us know your question and we will incorporate it into this page. info@getnitrogen.org The air we breathe
The air that's in your tires

A tire filled with "plain old air"
can lose 1.5 psi in less than a month

With nitrogen, it can take up to six months to lose 1.5psi.

Oxygen reacts and damages inner tire liners and belt packages; nitrogen does not.

Draining water from your air lines every day helps, but unless you have a really efficient air dryer, chances are there's a lot of water in your compressed air.

The air around us is full of water vapor. It's called "humidity".
Compressing air concentrates
the water in it.

Small bits of corrosion from wheels can prevent valves from seating properly, leading to loss
of air pressure.

NASCAR and IndyCar teams use nitrogen because it allows them to
more accurately predict
tire pressure fluctuation.
Billet fuel door, Daiblo 91 Tune, Xenon ram air hood scoop, MAC performance direct fit headers, 3" 304 SS Dual exhaust, hood pin appearance kit, Red l.E.D. underbody lights, Boy Racer rear wing, Helix power tower plus Throttle body spacer, ventvisor deflector, Aeroform chin spoiler, SVT 18" 9.5 45/255 frount SVT 18" 9.5 40/285 rear trire , GTO rear blackout kit, OEM rear splash guards, Steeda CAI, 8.8 rear axle with 3.73.1 LSD, killer Glass Hose, Smoked Window Louvers by GT Styling 35% Tenting on rear and side windows.
2007STANG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 08:21 AM   #14
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Send a message via AIM to SpectorV

how can you ever get 100% of regular atmosphere out of a tire when filling with nitrogen, I dont see how you can remove it all.
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 08:38 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Nevada

I have dual valves on my tire and it's easy to remove 100% or the regular atmosphere. I just flush it completely with nitrogen. Nitrogen in one valve, open the other. Problem solved.
2007 V6 Mustang w/ Pony Package. Performance Mods - 2.25 custom aluminum catback exhaust with a Magnaflow muffler, AirRaid cold air intake, drilled and slotted rotor's front and rear, SCT Programmer, Ford Racing Tlok, Motiv 4:10 gears, LFP underdrive pulley
Greywolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 08:50 AM   #16
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

As for mixing, all I can say is call around and see what shops in your area say. Like I said, I called both nitro shops and air only shops and both said don't mix the two. All I was calling for was to find out if I could go to an air pump and inflate the tire to proper pressure. No one I called had the illusion of selling me anything....specially the air shops.

But...like I said, call around and find out.
Old 07-14-2009, 09:06 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectorV View Post
how can you ever get 100% of regular atmosphere out of a tire when filling with nitrogen, I dont see how you can remove it all.
I know we completely vacuum the tire down then air it back up with the nitro. the machine we have does it with just the one valve stem.

i asked a couple of my other buddies at different shops about mixing the air with hydrogen and they saw no issues. just messes up the mix that is all.

Old 07-14-2009, 03:18 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

You can't mix air with nitrogen because the oxygen and nitrogen will mix together and make nitrous oxide and you will blow the welds on your intake and the floorpan will fall out.

In other news...http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snake_oil
ThaWill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 08:14 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2007STANG View Post
If you are one of the 85% of Americans who
don't regularly check tire pressure, you need
nitrogen.
We take in nitrogen with every breath. Air is composed of:

1% Water Vapor and Other Gases – Escapes up to 250 times faster than Nitrogen
21% Oxygen – Escapes 3-4 times faster than Nitrogen
78% Nitrogen – The largest molecule in
air, dry, non-flammable.
Because of their large size, nitrogen molecules are the least permeable and stay in your tire longer.
Oxygen is larger then Nitrogen. Nitrogen has 7 protons (+) and 7 electrons(-) in it's natural state, Oxygen has 8+ and 8-. The only elements smaller then Nitrogen are most likely never found inside a tire (Hydrogen, Helium, Lithium, Beryllium, Boron, Carbon, Nitrogen, Oxygen, Florine, Neon, etc. etc.

Quote:
It's not about the nitrogen. It's about reducing oxygen, water vapor and other gases.

By reducing the percentage of oxygen, water vapor and other gases in your tires from 22% to 7% or lower, your tires will maintain proper pressure longer than if you use “plain old air.” For example, with 95% nitrogen in your tires, they retain optimal pressure three to four times longer.

Proper tire pressure is a big deal.
Maintain it with nitrogen, and you'll see
these three primary benefits:

Increased Fuel Efficiency – Correct tire pressure keeps the manufacturer's recommended “contact patch” on the road. This lessens the rolling resistance and maximizes fuel efficiency. Read On...
Perhaps more then the average American does not consistently check their air pressure, and I admit I'm guilty too, however it is probably because the correct tire pressure is not their biggest concern. If it is a concern then they are just not used to checking on the pressure. This can be solved by carrying around a tire gauge and remembering to check them every now and then, such as when you fill up with gas. It takes practice but if you try and do it each time you get gas then you won't leave the pump until you run around your car.

Around the NY area I am seeing a lot of gas stations offer free air (imagine that) to fill up tires. So the excuse of paying for free air now seems invalid and now the cheapest alternative.

Albeit if Nitrogen does hold it's pressure longer then it will be good for those who just don't check or care about correct tire pressure.

For instance I checked my tire pressure about 3 months after I last filled it with air and the tires still held the correct tire pressure. One or two tires did not even change pressure, the other two perhaps changed +/- 0.5 psi. The readings were done with a digital tire gauge which read to a tenth of a psi, i.e. the 00.x. It has to also be noted that tire gauges carry an error. The error for mine was, I believe, a +/- 0.2 psi accuracy.

Quote:
Longer Tire Life – When it comes in contact with other materials, oxygen causes oxidation. Oxidation can make rubber brittle and cause it to lose tensile strength. In addition, at high temperatures and pressures, oxygen reacts and damages inner tire liners and belt packages; nitrogen does not. Read On...
If oxidation is a problem then why don't they cover the outside in Nitrogen as well? The same air that goes in also surrounds the tire. Does Oxygen cause Oxidation - yes it does, but many Redox reactions occur in special conditions. Copper turning green, rust on the tricycle, Hydrogen gas released by dropping a little water on pure Sodium, Lithium, or Potassium metal are all examples of Redox reactions. A big HOWEVER though, Oxidation is defined as any loss of electrons in a reaction, Reduction is the gain.

Will that rubber band eventually turn into little brittle strands because of Oxidation, yes it will. Oxidation will only occur to exposed surfaces, and not the whole piece though.

Perhaps this is more of an opinion, but the heat and pressure at which Oxygen becomes reactive, while it can vary with different substances, just does not seem to be in the range with tire pressure. For the Ozone to be produced, that is O3 in the upper levels of the atmosphere, strong sunlight affects the bond of oxygen molecules (O2) and tears a bond apart, at which point Oxygen radicals, either from being split apart of just floating around, then combine with two other Oxygens to form Ozone (which also breaks down in the human body into free radicals which is very bad)

Quote:
Increased Safety – Under-inflated tires cause 90% of blowouts. Nitrogen provides more reliable pressure for reduced blowout potential. Read On...
90% of blowouts may occur from under inflation, but the information there misleads people into believing that air is the cause for under inflation. It does not specify negligence, slow leaks in the tire because of a nail, nicks. And another point entirely what about tires which are not entirely seated correctly?

Quote:
Other benefits:

Improved TPMS Performance – If you have a new car, you likely are plagued by a flashing light telling you your tire pressure is low. For example, one woman's light was going off every four to five weeks. After inflating with nitrogen, her light didn't reappear for 53 weeks!

More Predictable Pressure Fluctuation – NASCAR teams use nitrogen so they can more accurately predict tire pressure fluctuation. Regular compressed air can fluctuate considerably when water vapor is present. Read On...
Okay I'm not the greatest mechanic in the world (and I use mechanic very loosely, more like a novice tinkerer) but I have seen some weird cases where problems arise and are fixed from simple things. Perhaps it really was nitrogen that fixed her TPMS sensor.

As for the fluctuations, having a mixed gases can be very complicated to predict - no two areas on earth are similar and the only way to know is to analyze the air. Sea level height, presence of cities or farms, or industries can all affect air quality. The truth is having a much more consistent gas is much easier to predict. There are curves for every gas liquid and solid and how they react according to temperature and pressure.

Remember there may be outside pressure, but there is also an interior pressure. Using physical equations one can determine how the tire will act on pavement. Knowing the gas may provide a more ideal value of how it will react, but with an idea, the values can still be estimated.

For NASCAR or motorcross, or drag strips Nitrogen may help racers but for an everyday Daily Driver your Nitrogen filled tires shouldn't show amazing effects. While it may get you improved gas mileage most people know it's driving habits that effects the mileage the most.

Quote:
Longer Rim Life – Rim rust caused by condensation from water vapor and other gases can get caught in valves and create slow leaks in tires. Nitrogen is completely dry, so it eliminates the potential for condensation.
Why not eliminate all oxygen and water vapor?
What's right for me – 95% or 98%?
What about curb bites? Those in my opinion are much more likely to affect any air holes. Maybe the rusting was true with steel rims, but chrome rims, especially with paint, aluminum, and other materials can be quite withstanding too "condensation".

What makes a gas "dry?" Condensation is when any gas's temperature and/or pressure is low enough to turn a gas into a liquid. There's liquid Nitrogen, and perhaps lab conditions are much more adequate for creating liquid nitrogen but water vapor is a gas, is it wet? Mercury and Bromine are liquids at STP (standard temperature and pressure) does that make them wet? Even though they are metal?

Quote:
Numerous studies have proven that nitrogen in tires reduces the volume of gases that escape more quickly and cause damaging oxidation. However, research also has shown that nitrogen purity beyond a certain point does not provide additional benefits. In fact, with a nitrogen purity above 93.4%? in passenger tires, oxygen actually begins to migrate back into the tire. You can get all the benefits of nitrogen with a purity level between 93-98%.

Bridgestone/Firestone researchers say that 93-95% nitrogen is all you need. Read On...

According to Ford Motor Co., there is no difference between 96% and 99% nitrogen purity. Read On...
Who Else Is Using Nitrogen?

NASCAR - NASCAR teams use nitrogen because it allows them to more accurately predict tire pressure fluctuation. Nitrogen fluctuates with temperature change, but it does so less than when water vapor is present. Read On... In addition, higher nitrogen levels eliminate the explosive properties of oxygen (oxygen loses its explosive properties at around 9% or less) Read On... NASCAR uses bottled nitrogen for portability. The bottles are delivered to the track by Praxair. Read On...
I feel like this has been covered already. If the atmosphere has a near 80% Nitrogen content and ~93% is an ideal fill of Nitrogen then is paying for such a commodity really worth it? And it's also telling me that such a high content will actually cause Oxygen to come back in! So what good does this do?

Again, I already said it, all molecules, liquid, solid, gas are affected by temperature and pressure. Having a higher purity makes less work in determining values. It's easier to compute one variable then multiple ones. The explosive properties of oxygen?! That made me chuckle since the oxygen content is not explosive. Pure Oxygen is very explosive, there is no doubt, it is also very dangerous. But when you light a match the whole world doesn't blow up. Oxygen content in the atmosphere is fine. Less then 9% (the value they give) does oxygen lose it's explosive properties. However what other gases are present. Helium and Oxygen may be very volatile combination, but not the atmosphere's. The atmosphere is a very stable mixture. If it was not organisms would not be able to exist.

Quote:
Commercial Airlines – The Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) requires nitrogen in all commercial aircraft tires to eliminate the potential for water vapor (inherent in normal compressed air) from freezing at high altitudes. In addition, aircraft manufacturers such as Boeing use nitrogen membranes in their On-Board Inert Gas Generation Systems (OBIGGS) to "top" fuel tanks with nitrogen - an inert gas that does not support combustion.
These are physical properties of Nitrogen. The airplane's tires are filled with Nitrogen but for different reasons then a passenger car. Water expands when it freezes an unusual property for any liquid since most constrict. At high altitudes it is easier for water to freeze because of low temperatures and low pressure, very ideal. Cars don't fly however and are not exposed to such a risk, unless you plan on a trip to Mount Everest or the the top of the Alps.

Inert gases are gases which are stable, that is have all their valence electrons filled. These inert gases are Helium, Neon, Argon (another component of the atmosphere), Krypton, Xenon and Radon. Pure Nitrogen may be inert since it resides as N2 however filling the tank with Oxygen is dangerous and water will destroy the fuel. Basically it's another thing airlines need to use, not a passenger car. You're filling up your tires with Nitrogen, not your gas tank.

Quote:
U.S. Government – NASA and the U.S. military use nitrogen for many of the same reasons it used in commercial aircraft.
Taken care of above. (Car is unequal to planes).

Quote:
Food Processors and Packagers – Oxygen hastens both the chemical breakdown and microbial spoilage of many foods. Think meat, potato chips, cookies, etc. To help preserve foods longer, processors and packagers often use modified atmosphere packaging (MAP) and controlled atmosphere packaging (CAP) that replaces some or all of the oxygen in the air inside the
package with nitrogen.
Again I answered this above. And answers previous to that also apply. Redox reactions occur in more then just oxygen. Oxidation just doesn't mean Oxygen (it's a misleading term). Food and car applications are incompatible. Salt preserves food, Sodium Benzoate, and CO2 are also used. Put those in your tires too.

Quote:
How is nitrogen separated from other gases in air?
Membranes are the heart of any nitrogen system. Just like a tire, the membranes are permeable. When thousands of these permeable tubes are filled with air at high pressures, smaller molecules leak out while the larger nitrogen molecules travel through the tubes into a holding tank to fill your tires or for other uses.
Huh? Didn't we go over "regular air" is primarily Nitrogen, then oxygen which is a bigger molecule then Nitrogen. Trace amounts of Argon are also present which is bigger then Nitrogen or Oxygen.

If water and O2 is so small and leaks out, then how are all these problems in the tire happening? "Water vapors leak out, or they stay inside and condensate causing rust, and air expansion." I see loop holes and opposites. Which is it?

Quote:
Still have questions? Feel free to browse the rest of this site or let us know your question and we will incorporate it into this page. info@getnitrogen.org The air we breathe
The air that's in your tires

A tire filled with "plain old air"
can lose 1.5 psi in less than a month

With nitrogen, it can take up to six months to lose 1.5psi.
Of course this site has pros of Nitrogen. They are trying to sell it.

I already pointed out, 3 months later my car's tires still retained the same amount of air, with little variability. I drive with tools in my trunk as well, and during classes will drive up to 80 miles per day, to and from, my university. I would check the tire fitting and the rim for leaks instead of blaming "plain old air".

Quote:
Oxygen reacts and damages inner tire liners and belt packages; nitrogen does not.
Don't you love repetition? Well if you don't don't worry I won't repeat myself.

Quote:
Draining water from your air lines every day helps, but unless you have a really efficient air dryer, chances are there's a lot of water in your compressed air.

The air around us is full of water vapor. It's called "humidity". Compressing air concentrates the water in it.
The water in the tires is gas. If it does condense then the heat from driving should warm it up again.

As for compressing air, in a sealed container increasing pressure does not equal more water. If you use an air compressor and fill your tires well yes you will put more water vapor in it, but the amount is proportional to how much you fill. Compressing air and Air compressor are two different things. Isn't the English language a wonderful thing. And just for importance I'll repeat the bottom line, compressing air does not increase the amount of water. As for humidity, it is the amount of water in the air, however it is a huge variable, just like temperature, it can change drastically in just a few hours.

Basically the previous statement is quite silly and should just be ignored.

Quote:
Small bits of corrosion from wheels can prevent valves from seating properly, leading to loss
of air pressure.
...AND ANY OTHER GASES INSIDE!

Quote:
NASCAR and IndyCar teams use nitrogen because it allows them to
more accurately predict
tire pressure fluctuation.
Is there a parrot in the room?

Now I'm not saying that Nitrogen is the wrong way to go, however I personally do not believe there is any benefit over regular air. For some racers it may help lower variables they may encounter. For other individuals who are not sporting their vehicle on a track may just find Nitrogen in their tires gives them better gas mileage for some reason or a smoother ride, but it could very well be the car and/or the driver that's also contributing.

Bottom line, Nitrogen or "Regular Air" they are both the same and are interchangeable.
Quote:
OsirisGuy is right
2002 Mustang GT

Old 07-15-2009, 02:00 AM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oregon
Send a message via MSN to bloodyspirit058

ok that was way to much reading for me... but i did notice something i was confused about:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OsirisGuy View Post
Oxygen is larger then Nitrogen. Nitrogen has 7 protons (+) and 7 electrons(-) in it's natural state, Oxygen has 8+ and 8-. The only elements smaller then Nitrogen are most likely never found inside a tire (Hydrogen, Helium, Lithium, Beryllium, Boron, Carbon, Nitrogen, Oxygen, Florine, Neon, etc. etc.
but those 2 are found in tires... that is what I've been reading on this forum any way :S

EDIT: i think i figured it out... you were listing them in order? it's been a while since i was really into chemistry... pardon my ignorance.

1994 GT, stock gears, stock shifter, stock engine, stock rims (or knock offs).

Quote:
Originally Posted by sti2gsxr
There was a case of the stuff stacked at the end of an aisle. Definately not cold or in the cooler. Also it was over $7 for the two bottles.
bloodyspirit058 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 02:20 AM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Whoops. I had a little run on there. Basically any of those besides Nitrogen and Oxygen. My thought process was to make that point and then list all the elements up to Oxygen and then up until the second Noble gas.

So yes they are in tires and yes I was listing them in order
Quote:
OsirisGuy is right
2002 Mustang GT

Old 07-15-2009, 07:46 AM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

im going to fill my **** with Helium and float away

Old 07-15-2009, 10:25 AM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

i wonder if you could lighten the car at all that way

Quote:
There was a case of the stuff stacked at the end of an aisle. Definately not cold or in the cooler. Also it was over $7 for the two bottles.
Old 07-15-2009, 11:00 AM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Region: West Virgina

your killing me lol lol lol
Billet fuel door, Daiblo 91 Tune, Xenon ram air hood scoop, MAC performance direct fit headers, 3" 304 SS Dual exhaust, hood pin appearance kit, Red l.E.D. underbody lights, Boy Racer rear wing, Helix power tower plus Throttle body spacer, ventvisor deflector, Aeroform chin spoiler, SVT 18" 9.5 45/255 frount SVT 18" 9.5 40/285 rear trire , GTO rear blackout kit, OEM rear splash guards, Steeda CAI, 8.8 rear axle with 3.73.1 LSD, killer Glass Hose, Smoked Window Louvers by GT Styling 35% Tenting on rear and side windows.
2007STANG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 08:34 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by OsirisGuy View Post
Oxygen is larger then Nitrogen. Nitrogen has 7 protons (+) and 7 electrons(-) in it's natural state, Oxygen has 8+ and 8-. The only elements smaller then Nitrogen are most likely never found inside a tire (Hydrogen, Helium, Lithium, Beryllium, Boron, Carbon, Nitrogen, Oxygen, Florine, Neon, etc. etc..
UM you just said oxygen was both larger and smaller that nitrogen in the same paragraph. As well you said oxygen and nitrogen are most likely never found inside a tire.

96 honda magna vf750, K&N, Vance and Hines pipes Rejetted carbs
Ninethourpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 09:01 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

I listed the first 10 elements of the Periodic Table; Hydrogen to Neon. I was just trying to list all the elements up to Nitrogen and Oxygen (and a few after). Elements that are smaller then Nitrogen include Hydrogen, Helium, Lithium, Beryllium, Boron, and Carbon. Nitrogen and Oxygen are found in a tire. They are also the next two elements after carbon. After Oxygen on the Periodic Table is Florine and Neon - these two should be in the same boat as those before Nitrogen as they shouldn't be found in the tire.

Perhaps this will help a little:
WebElements Periodic Table of the Elements

Sorry for the confusion.
Quote:
OsirisGuy is right
2002 Mustang GT

Old 07-15-2009, 09:11 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

number 82 looks good, just fill your tires with that and don't worry about anything forever...

Quote:
Old 07-15-2009, 09:26 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

that would stay in longer than nitrogen

Old 07-15-2009, 10:27 PM   #29
Legacy Member
Legacy

Send a message via AIM to MarkuzLS1

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloodyspirit058 View Post
number 82 looks good, just fill your tires with that and don't worry about anything forever...
And you wouldn't have to worry about anybody running off with them, either.

I like turtles.
MarkuzLS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 10:31 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

aside from weight why not make solid rubber tires?

Old 07-15-2009, 11:25 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Send a message via AIM to Y2E0L0L5OGWT Send a message via Yahoo to Y2E0L0L5OGWT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninethourpm View Post
aside from weight why not make solid rubber tires?
(1) $$$$$$$$$$
(2) Weight
(3) Lack of Ride Comfort

and a multitude of other reasons....
'05 GT - Borla Catback, JLT Series 3 Intake & SCT SF3 Tuner, Koni Adjustable Shocks/Struts, H&R Race Springs, Roush Shifter, Hawk HP+ Brakes all around, Steeda Front Sway Bar & End-Links, Royal Purple Fluids
'2011 F-250 Super Duty Crew Cab - 6.7L PSD 4x4
Y2E0L0L5OGWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 11:01 AM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Nevada

I had a set of solid rubber tires for my bike way back when. Got them because out here in the desert I was going through tires like crazy because of all the sticker bushes. Worst mistake I ever made. The ride was so uncomfortable and tires were a stone cold ***** to try to manuever with. Replaced them after about a week.
2007 V6 Mustang w/ Pony Package. Performance Mods - 2.25 custom aluminum catback exhaust with a Magnaflow muffler, AirRaid cold air intake, drilled and slotted rotor's front and rear, SCT Programmer, Ford Racing Tlok, Motiv 4:10 gears, LFP underdrive pulley
Greywolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 11:24 AM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

i'm not 100% sure about this, but i think they are more likely to come apart at high speeds due to the fact they don't flex like the thinner wall of a air tire.

Quote:
Old 07-16-2009, 02:49 PM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

we have all solid tires on our wheelbarrows and carts at work and they say do not exceed 45 mph. can you believe that , someone pushing a wheelbarrow over 45 mph.

Old 07-16-2009, 03:35 PM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninethourpm View Post
we have all solid tires on our wheelbarrows and carts at work and they say do not exceed 45 mph. can you believe that , someone pushing a wheelbarrow over 45 mph.
you must not watch Jackass much.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion