Best place to pick up a Bra for 03 Cobra - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-10-2009, 08:36 AM   #1
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV
Best place to pick up a Bra for 03 Cobra

For any upcoming trips I want a bra for my car to protect it, where/which is the best?

I know americanmuscle has one but I want to get a good one and theirs looks fine but figured i would ask first.
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-10-2009, 09:45 AM   #2
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Send a message via AIM to PureVenom Send a message via MSN to PureVenom Send a message via Yahoo to PureVenom
Re: Best place to pick up a Bra for 03 Cobra

Just use painters tape....
Old 08-10-2009, 10:06 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by PureVenom View Post
Just use painters tape....
but damn that would look like crap going down the road

2006 Mustang GT lots of mods ex wife has it
1979 corvette stingray #'s matching 47K org. miles
1970Chevelle SS 454 big block Old School 500hp Sold
hottcobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-10-2009, 10:20 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri

All due respect but don't you think a bra looks like crap going down the road ??, understand the protection bit, but I associate that look with someone who also puts those awful beady things on their seat back to stop backache or whatever alongside other wally fixtures, we call them anoraks or train spotters where I come from, - just saying no offence intended.
English Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 10:38 AM   #5
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

Send a message via AIM to PureVenom Send a message via MSN to PureVenom Send a message via Yahoo to PureVenom

A bra is only used for the trip...once you arrive at your destination where it matters how you look it comes off.

I only suggested painters tape because it was about as useful as suggesting ear plugs in my other thread.
Old 08-10-2009, 12:13 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

yup but no one will see you wearing the ear plugs smart ***.

2006 Mustang GT lots of mods ex wife has it
1979 corvette stingray #'s matching 47K org. miles
1970Chevelle SS 454 big block Old School 500hp Sold
hottcobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 12:23 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

I thought about some painters tape but it would take a few layers to get any kind of protection for anything bigger than a bug.

It will ONLY be on the car while driving on the interstate. I will also tape up behind the fenders and such~ just trying to keep dings away
Old 08-10-2009, 12:25 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin

Quote:
Originally Posted by English Paul View Post
All due respect but don't you think a bra looks like crap going down the road ??, understand the protection bit, but I associate that look with someone who also puts those awful beady things on their seat back to stop backache or whatever alongside other wally fixtures, we call them anoraks or train spotters where I come from, - just saying no offence intended.
I personally am not a fan of bra's either, especially on a mustang...but it's worth it on long trips. All the road debris, rocks, and bugs tear up the bumper and hood. Like Purevenom said, just take it off when you get there and you're all set, nice clean car.

I think covercraft is the most popular one available. Colgan's another brand, they are more expensive, but that doesn't necessarily mean they're better.

12 Black GT500 SVT PP l VMP TVS l JLT123 l O/R X l 28x11.50Rx15 M/T Street R's l BMR Suspension l Recaros

03 Sonic Blue 3.8 / 17 Magnetic Fusion Sport 2.7 EB
sonicpony03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 01:46 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

I only have like 3 little places on my bumper and one noticable one on my hood~ well slightly noticeable. I dont feel like getting any more and the interstates in my area are horrible.
Old 08-10-2009, 02:37 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Its about time you bought a trailer and a hitch if you are going to worry this much.
ThaWill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 03:09 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

I wish i had a truck to pull the trailer and put the hitch on
Old 08-10-2009, 04:05 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

People are less likely to make fun of a truck though!
ThaWill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 05:20 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri

Well spector V can't believe it but i've gone all girlie & you have started to persuade me that a bra for my GT500 maybe a good thing, as pure venom says take it off at point of destination. But on reflection rather than look like a right tosser, I think I'll do what I have been doing for the last year since I bought it & stick to short journies. Just can't bring myself to think of sticking that bloody thing on the front of my car & looking like a right old tart even though it makes sense. ummmmmmmmmmmmh have to ponder it, think though you should go for it, it's clearly worrying you. How much are they ????
English Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 06:50 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Send a message via AIM to Y2E0L0L5OGWT Send a message via Yahoo to Y2E0L0L5OGWT

Alright...Getting up on my soap box now...

Give me a friggin' break...Cars are meant to be driven...

Rocks chips, dings, blah blah blah happen...get over it...

If you're so paranoid about getting dings in the paint or getting the car dirty, then don't drive it anywhere? sounds to me like it needs to be put into a showroom somewhere and left there...

I don't understand this fear people have of their car getting dirty or getting chips in the paint or anything else...That's the life of a car, to be driven, and quite honestly, when you drive a car, ***** happens...

Next thing you know, you're going to be so paranoid about something happening that youre going to be trying to find something to protect the windshield so you don't crack it or something that prevents your tires from wearing so they always look brand new...

The fact isthat if you intend to drive a car at all, wear & tear happens...PERIOD...

If protecting the car means that much to you, DON'T take it on road trips...Hell, if keeping it looking absolutely perfect means so much to you, put it in a bullet-proof, dust-free, UV-filtering showroom case somewhere so that nothing ever happens to it...

Steps down off the soap box...

Just my $.02...
'05 GT - Borla Catback, JLT Series 3 Intake & SCT SF3 Tuner, Koni Adjustable Shocks/Struts, H&R Race Springs, Roush Shifter, Hawk HP+ Brakes all around, Steeda Front Sway Bar & End-Links, Royal Purple Fluids
'2011 F-250 Super Duty Crew Cab - 6.7L PSD 4x4
Y2E0L0L5OGWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 07:15 PM   #15
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Mississippi
Send a message via AIM to lowflyn

My problem with any Bra is it will, over several uses, it will leave wear marks in the paint. I went through this with the Stage 3 bumper and ended up not even using the expensive bra I bought. It left marks from the beginning.

I hate the marks and such (found a few more this detailing session) but it's just part of it. If it gets bad enough I'll just have the front resprayed.
Our's:
90 7up vert - new project-07 DSG Focus -DD
lowflyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 08:01 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois

I dont personally like bra's (on my cars or woman) but i certainly won't bash anyone that wants to use one. However, i've seen the same thing happen as lowflyn. Marks and scratches on your hood and such from the bra flapping in the wind as your driving down the road. Though if its only gonna be on during long trips, it might be ok for longer.
Old 08-10-2009, 08:19 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

I was talking to someone today at the hardware store...and he mentioned some clear bra-like cover that goes over the bumper and hood. You can't even see it when driving down the road, and when you don't want it anymore, you just peel it off. I believe it's a 3m protective bra kit, it might be more expensive, but would look better.

12 Black GT500 SVT PP l VMP TVS l JLT123 l O/R X l 28x11.50Rx15 M/T Street R's l BMR Suspension l Recaros

Old 08-10-2009, 08:28 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

I had something like that on the rocker panels and lower doors of my old probe. It was on when i bought it without me even knowing. I went to wash it once cause it looked like crap and noticed it was on there. Peeled it off and it was like brand new under there. Unfortunatly the car wasnt taken care of so it was a huge difference and looked funny. That is def and option for you depending on price.
Old 08-10-2009, 08:40 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Here's one I found on Stangmods.com...price isn't too bad...

VentureShield Mustang Paint Protection Kit

Old 08-10-2009, 10:16 PM   #20
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

The problem with the clear deal is with time you will start to see the line where the clear stops. Dirt, wax, grime, etc will get down in the edge of the clear and it will be very visible. Seen this first hand on a black car...really killed it in my opinion.

And Y2E0L0L5OGWT, you really need to meet Spec...and drive somewhere with him. Drive, dust, drive, dust quick detail, drive, dust...

But, his car is for sure clean when you see it in person...unlike mine which has met many a rock.
Old 08-10-2009, 10:52 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

I figured that would occur after time...I just figured it'd work for a quick trip somewhere, but then he probably wouldn't want to pay $180 for a temporary thing.

Old 08-11-2009, 02:55 AM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Region: West Virgina

Drive backward behind grandma doing 45 and you should be ok also i heard the omish don't kick up much
Billet fuel door, Daiblo 91 Tune, Xenon ram air hood scoop, MAC performance direct fit headers, 3" 304 SS Dual exhaust, hood pin appearance kit, Red l.E.D. underbody lights, Boy Racer rear wing, Helix power tower plus Throttle body spacer, ventvisor deflector, Aeroform chin spoiler, SVT 18" 9.5 45/255 frount SVT 18" 9.5 40/285 rear trire , GTO rear blackout kit, OEM rear splash guards, Steeda CAI, 8.8 rear axle with 3.73.1 LSD, killer Glass Hose, Smoked Window Louvers by GT Styling 35% Tenting on rear and side windows.
2007STANG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 08:16 AM   #23
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Just because I like to keep my things looking good and running good does not mean that I do not enjoy my car or drive it. I drive it anytime I want, I used to drive it EVERY day (far more than I should). My car is also not perfect nor will it ever by. I just try to my best and I enjoy keeping it up.

I think of working to prevent chips/dings/fading paint/etc as preventative maintenance just like changing the oil. It saves me money down the road. You may can repaint a bumper but it wont ever match 100%, this is especially true on colors like redfire.
Old 08-11-2009, 09:00 AM   #24
Blogger
Blogger

Send a message via MSN to rickf73 Send a message via Skype™ to rickf73

For certain occasions I think a bra is a good idea. I have thought about getting one for long trips and possible for our love bug seasons (did hear about putting Vaseline on front during those weeks). I know Shelby is overpriced but I think I saw something about one having a soft inside so it will not rub the paint much. I do drive my car everyday and know I will get some dings and nicks, but I do want to keep it as nice looking as I can. I plan on having this ride for a very long time and I have prepared my self for the expense I will incur on trying to keep it looking good. I waited a long time to get this ride and I do want to enjoy it.
rickf73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 06:18 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

I've heard about bra's making marks and stuff I would just drive carful avoid gravel roads and take er' easy.
upton7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 11:29 AM   #26
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: New Jersey
Send a message via AIM to DarkShadow

You have to make sure the inside of the bra is 100% clean every time you apply it. I would say the car surface too, but I know you do a good job with that anyway. You might be protecting the paint from something flying up and hitting it, but having a dirty bra over the paint is just basically scowering it and rubbing the clear coat off causing oxidation when the bra isn't on.
Old 08-26-2009, 09:54 AM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Spec, go for it. The bra is perfect for long trips when trying to prevent things like that and IMO was never designed for a long term appeal. Bras are great for love bug season down here. You're not really going to have to worry about anything happening with the bra to the body as long as it stays clean, only on for short/long trips, and taken off immediatetly. I would then wash the car everytime it comes off.

Enjoy your trip and car! Oh...and BRA!
SaleenFiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 10:21 AM   #28
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaleenFiend View Post
I would then wash the car everytime it comes off.
Um, you obviously don't know who you're talking to here...dude washes/dusts his car every time he parks it. I've seen it happen.
Old 08-26-2009, 10:47 AM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by PureVenom View Post
Um, you obviously don't know who you're talking to here...dude washes/dusts his car every time he parks it. I've seen it happen.
I did see where you stated that earlier. I am interested to meet the SpectorV though...
Old 08-26-2009, 10:51 AM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

BTW earplugs while driving....... funny stuff! LMBO

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion