87 vs. 89 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion

Join Mustang Evolution Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 09-24-2009, 08:16 PM   #1
Registered Member
Region: Illinois
87 vs. 89

89 octane is like 9 cents cheaper here than 87 i asked why and the owner said its has ethanol in it is that good or bad or neutral

upton7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 09:02 PM   #2
Legacy Member
Region: Maryland
Send a message via AIM to wiarumas Send a message via MSN to wiarumas
Re: 87 vs. 89

nearly all gas of all octanes have 0-10% ethanol nowadays. i heard mixed opinions about it. some say its bad, but i havent seen substantial proof that its THAT bad for the car.

it does give slightly less gas mileage though.... from what i hear.

if i had to choose between something that had less or more ethanol, id choose the one with less... unless there was an outrageous price gap between the two.

we've all been driving with ethanol mixed in for quite some time now, so dont be too alarmed by it.

Please visit: TheEchoBoom: Gen Y Blog and Forum
wiarumas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 09:08 PM   #3
Registered Member
Region: Wisconsin

Yah, I've heard mixed opinions about ethanol levels as well. I agree with wiarumus, If I'm given the option to use a fuel with less ethanol, I do it.

By me for example, a local Citgo has the regular unleaded/premium pumps on the left side of the store, and the diesel pumps on the right side. One of the diesel pumps feeds 87 octane with no ethanol.

12 Black GT500 SVT PP l 2.6 Pulley/Idler l Airaid l o/r X l 305 NT555R's l Recaros l

04 Azure Blue Mach 1 / 03 Sonic Blue 3.8 / 14 Sterling Grey F150 FX4 402A 5.0 / 11 GT500 R.I.P.
sonicpony03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 10:01 PM   #4
Registered Member
Region: New York
Send a message via AIM to OsirisGuy

For the most part a combustion engine can run on anything that, well, combusts. I remember watching something about Chrysler's Jet Engine powered car which would run on anything combustive: gasoline, methanol, whiskey/vodka and even perfume. Of course the power between a jet engine and a internal combustion engine are quite different, you do have people that convert there cars to run on methanol or ethanol.

Now the different molecular structures will produced varied results such as fuel economy, engine power, point of ignition, and many other things.

I think the biggest downfall to the ethanol additive (or conversion) is that cars have not been designed for ethanol. In the last few years automakers have acknowledged this market by producing a line of vehicles for this flex fuel. Sound familiar? GM has their flex fuel line and Ford has the Flex which have the option to run on high percentages of ethanol (85%+). Now the whole ethanol movement is a conversation piece all in itself.

Now not that the 10% most states carry is going to blow your engine, but components of the car was not designed for ethanol. For specifics the fuel lines - plastics and rubbers that come in contact with ethanol, the ethanol tends to ruin these compounds.

Personal example is the gas gaskets that are leaking, like on my car now. Now this may or may not be the problem, but on my behalf it is an educated guess on my own car.

Summary: Ethanol is neutral although it has its own pros and cons.
Originally Posted by MetallicMist View Post
OsirisGuy is correct
Originally Posted by stangaroo View Post
OsirisGuy is right
2002 Mustang GT

BBK CAI - Flowmaster Catbacks - Pro 5.0 Shifter
OsirisGuy is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion