Hole In Exhaust Pipe - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 11-17-2009, 10:24 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Idaho
Hole In Exhaust Pipe

On my old Prelude I had a hole in the exhaust pipe from water erosion and because of the hole my car sounded like it had an aftermarket muffler on it.

So my question is what would happen if I drilled a small hole in my Mustang's exhaust pipe?
Advertisement

Old 11-18-2009, 10:19 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
Send a message via AIM to OsirisGuy
Re: Hole In Exhaust Pipe

We did this on a '99 GT on the stock mufflers. It will probably give a louder sound. The whole has to be larger than pin size, figure an inch or so and a few of them. We even went as far as to cut holes in the mufflers and pipe.

It's what the kid wanted!
Quote:
Originally Posted by stangaroo View Post
OsirisGuy is right
2002 Mustang GT

BBK CAI - Flowmaster Catbacks - Pro 5.0 Shifter
OsirisGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 10:47 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV

i wouldnt drill a hole, if you really want to do something cheap then have a shop cut out the muffler and stick a pipe between where it was.
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-18-2009, 12:17 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin

Yah you can get away with cheap mods like that on the v8's...someone did that up here on a GTO, but I wouldn't on a v6. It's just going to make it sound like crap. I'd either swap the single stock muffler, (relatively cheap) or do as SpectorV said and replace it with a pipe. I'd take that pipe and have it bent downwards so the exhaust tone reverberates off the ground = deeper tone at idle and in the lower rpms.

12 Black GT500 SVT PP l VMP TVS l JLT123 l O/R X l 28x11.50Rx15 M/T Street R's l BMR Suspension l Recaros

03 Sonic Blue 3.8 / 17 Magnetic Fusion Sport 2.7 EB
sonicpony03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 11:48 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Idaho

How loud does it get when you just replace the muffler with a pipe? Is it legal?
Old 11-19-2009, 07:44 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Spend $25-$30 on a Cherry Bomb or similar glasspack; you'll get the sound you're looking for and you'll remain somewhat "noise" legal. I wouldn't just weld or clamp in a straight pipe; your engine needs some backpressure.
MetallicMist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 07:44 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bstang03 View Post
How loud does it get when you just replace the muffler with a pipe? Is it legal?
It would be significantly louder since you're removing that muffler that's restrictive as hell, but not illegal because you still have all 4 cats.

Metallic Mist did mention a good point though, you probably will want some sort of muffler to retain backpressure. I'm not too sure about CherryBombs or glasspacks though, they really do sound like a pissed off honda when put on a v6 mustang. I'd spend a little more and go with a Flowmaster or a Pypes or even a Spintech muffler instead. It will sound better.

12 Black GT500 SVT PP l VMP TVS l JLT123 l O/R X l 28x11.50Rx15 M/T Street R's l BMR Suspension l Recaros

03 Sonic Blue 3.8 / 17 Magnetic Fusion Sport 2.7 EB
sonicpony03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 07:51 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Vermont

I now that in some cases you loose power if you don't have enough back pressure, but my question being at what point will a open exhaust benefit you? You never see a race car running a full street legal exhaust. They sell kits that you can switch from your street legal exhaust to wide open, wouldn't this give you little to no back pressure?

02 GT 5 spd. Best 1/4 12.28 @ 112mph
67mustang97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 01:28 PM   #9

Region: Florida

Ghetto would deflty be the word for wanting to cut holes in exhuasts lol. You want a loud mustang take of mufflers and cats and you get dumps very very loud.

Fully Built Teksid Block Stage 10 Custom Comps Full bolts missing JLT and 2.8 Kenne Bell
Want to hear the Cams go here
http://www.youtube.com/user/MysticCobra04
CammedMystic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 01:25 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

The open exhaust kits were big back in the day of big cube motors and leaded gas. I believe that the consequences of running an open exhaust on modern, high-temp, unleaded-burning engines include burnt valves among other things. As for a race car running open exhausts, that's why: they're race cars and they get rebuilt or fresh motors after a handful of runs. I put a glasspack on my old '89 Isuzu pickup, and it didn't sound too bad for a 4-banger. A Flowmaster on a V-6 is tricky; they sound like crap too if there isn't enough "flow" to make them work properly. The OP just needs to decide which route to take.
MetallicMist is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion

Tags
exhaust