Mustang Life Expectancy And Support - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion

Join Mustang Evolution Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 12-29-2009, 09:00 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Utah
Mustang Life Expectancy And Support

so i have a friend (who drives a mazda3 psh) who always makes fun of stangs.
now, i know stangs really arent super fast or anything, but hey, they have good potential right? of course they are muscle cars and not sports cars so they certainly arent going to have the speed and luxury of your big name imports. so why do so many of my friends hate on stangs? (besides the fact that they are jealous)

also, he say a mustang could never last to 200,000 miles. anyone have one with more than that? how long do they last? how long could one last if it is well taken care of.

basically, give me some support for the stangs.

sorry for the long read.
blue-saleen is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-29-2009, 09:08 PM   #2
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Mississippi
Send a message via AIM to lowflyn
Re: Mustang Life Expectancy And Support

Let's see here...my old V6 (a 2002) has a long list of bolt-ons and the current owner just hit 133,000 miles. The car has been abused, wrecked, neglected, and keeps going.

There are several 03/04 cobras with over 100,000 miles on the stock engine with mods and at least 1 at over 200,000 miles on stock engine and mods.

There is absolutely no reason any vehicle made past 1994 shouldn't make it well past 200,000 miles as long as regular maintenance is done and preventative measures are taken on normal wear and tear items. I'm in the process of putting my bronco back together after it blew a headgasket at 205,000 miles (92 5.0). The block, pistons, etc all looked pristine so it's going back together with the original shortblock.
Our's:
90 7up vert - new project-07 DSG Focus -DD
lowflyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-29-2009, 09:50 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin

Well, first of all, I find it silly that your friend, who owns a mazda 3, is bashing mustangs.
I've outrun 2 out of the 2 I ran, and I'm sure a v8 would wipe the floor with them. If it was a Mazda speed6, that'd be different, those can actually move, lol.

Yes, compared to most current cars on the market, mustangs no's don't appear appealing or enthralling, but as you said, the potential is there courtesy of a huge mod market.
I'd only own one import sports car, and that's a 350Z, but I'm pretty sure you'll see me dead before sitting in one of them.

I hear ya when you say your friends are hating on mustangs. The thing about them, as well as camaros, and firebirds, is that they've been around for a while. Everyone knows at least 1 person who has one...whether it's their mom, or a friend or an uncle. Mustangs and camaros are common, affordable cars that nearly everyone can drive now. Hell, I wish I was in high school now, 01-04 GT's can be had for 7k with decent miles.

Affordable imports are fairly new to the scene, comparatively speaking. Thanks to movies like Fast and the Furious and the recent expansion into performance models by more foreign brands like Nissan, Hyundai and Toyota, more young people are gravitating towards those cars...something "new", not your common mustang or camaro.

As far as reliability, there are several mustangs running strong with over 200,000 miles on them. These are mustangs that were taken care of, received proper maintenance, and weren't beat to a pulp every chance their owner got. There was a 94 GT on youtube with a considerable number of mods clocking over 260,000 on the stock 5 liter.

12 Black GT500 SVT PP l 2.6 Pulley/Idler l Airaid l O/R X l 305 NT555R's l Recaros

04 Azure Blue Mach 1 / 03 Sonic Blue 3.8 / 14 Sterling Grey F150 FX4 402A 5.0
sonicpony03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-30-2009, 02:53 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
Send a message via AIM to OsirisGuy

I forget who but someone on here has a mustang approaching 300,000 miles and is still kicking ***.

If he still gives you a hard time than just tell him that at least the mustang doesn't have a rotary engine.
Quote:
Originally Posted by stangaroo View Post
OsirisGuy is right
2002 Mustang GT

BBK CAI - Flowmaster Catbacks - Pro 5.0 Shifter
OsirisGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 08:34 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina

Ok, I love mustangs and mine has over 150k and running strong. Mustangs are my favorite cars and I will also always own the one I have now and hopefully a 2011, But my first car was a mint 85 RX-7. So I have a soft spot for them, the first gen stock engine was very reliable. Now the third gen were not know for being reliable. "pistons go boing boing, rotarys go ***** please"
Untamed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 08:36 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by OsirisGuy View Post
I forget who but someone on here has a mustang approaching 300,000 miles and is still kicking ***.

If he still gives you a hard time than just tell him that at least the mustang doesn't have a rotary engine.
Old 12-30-2009, 08:54 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV

if you take care of them they run forever, and above all else... when your car fails say the engine or transmission goes... guess which car is cheaper to work on fix the mustang will cost WAY less... tell him he lives in that hype BS feed to him from the media that non american owned car makers make better cars... thats just ignorant and shows lack of research and understanding... lol tell him to figure out what percentage of his car is put together in america vs the mustang as well. Also what percentage of parts are made in america for the mustang... its shocking.

The 05+ mustang has great quality
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 01:40 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Yeah way to say it SpectorV!!!!! Thats hows its said! lol
Old 12-31-2009, 09:40 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

I'm not going to start an "us vs them" flame war here, but I will say that the imports are really very well made. My wife has a 2004 Hyundai Santa Fe all-wheel drive that has been (and still is) a fantastic vehicle. That being said, I think any car or truck has the potential to last several hundred thousand miles as long as it is properly maintained and cared for. Things eventually wear out, so they'll have to be replaced, but that will happen if it's a Kia or if it's a Mustang. Don't knock the Mazdas too much; they partnered with Ford for many years, and they are good cars. I know; I owned a 2007 Mazda 6i before buying my 'Stang. The 2.3L Duratech is a Mazda motor, and it's in the Fords (Focus) as well. Anyone can talk trash to anyone about anything; why bother listening if they won't accept both sides of the issue?
MetallicMist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 10:15 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

As long as you do the proper maintenance and don't run the dog **** out of the car everytime then you can have a car that will last for a very long time. My mom has a Chevy Trailblazer the same year as my car and she has had a lot more trouble out of her ride than I have. She has already had to replace a transmission and still has recalls sent to her from GM. My car on the other hand still runs like a champ and is near 100K miles right now.
Old 12-31-2009, 10:26 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Hyundai is made in america, there is a plant in Montgomery Alabama that makes them~
Old 12-31-2009, 08:55 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

That's true Spector, but it's a S. Korean company and the vehicles are built to S.K. specs. By non-union workers, which is why they can offer so much as standard equipment and offer the 10-year, 100k mile warranty for a price that the Big 3 can't touch. Don't get me wrong, I love my Mustang. I'm just saying that other companies make great rides and they don't necessarily need to be bashed. What do you think a stock S197 GT 5-speed would do against a stock Hyundai Genesis coupe with the V-6, 305 HP and a 6-speed? BTW, it's rear-wheel drive, too. I think it would be a pretty close match.
MetallicMist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 09:47 PM   #13
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Georgia
Send a message via AIM to fast64

I used to have a Mustang cop car with 256k on the clock.
Old 01-02-2010, 08:39 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

I just hit 100K miles on my car this morning. Also to the guy with the Mazda friend you can tell him that his car is pretty much a European Focus with a different body. Also the Mazda 6 is the same car as the Fusion and to top that the 6 is built in the same plant as the current Mustang.
Old 01-02-2010, 09:51 AM   #15
Loc: Austin,TX
Regular
Supporter

Region: Texas

As long as you take care of your pony as stated above she will be a-ok with years of enjoyment.Im not a fan of imports but I must say if I had to have one it would be a brand new G37S coupe modded and all black of course.

P.S.
People usually make fun of things they are afraid of.....its a fact.
DDTCM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 11:15 AM   #16
DSB

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetallicMist View Post
That's true Spector, but it's a S. Korean company and the vehicles are built to S.K. specs. By non-union workers, which is why they can offer so much as standard equipment and offer the 10-year, 100k mile warranty for a price that the Big 3 can't touch. Don't get me wrong, I love my Mustang. I'm just saying that other companies make great rides and they don't necessarily need to be bashed. What do you think a stock S197 GT 5-speed would do against a stock Hyundai Genesis coupe with the V-6, 305 HP and a 6-speed? BTW, it's rear-wheel drive, too. I think it would be a pretty close match.
Interesting you should say that. This youtube clip answers your question.
DSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 03:02 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana

Tell him to take a look at this and compare Ford vs. Mazda. Make sure he understands Toyota/Lexus/Scion's new recalls that have been hidden by their company for over a year are not included in this research. Honda is a strong car and well everything else above Ford on overall quality is considered a Luxury class vehicle.

http://www.jdpower.com/autos/ratings...e-#page-anchor
SaleenFiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 12:31 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Iowa

I had a 2.3L 1991 notchback that had 293,000 miles on the odometer when I got rid of it.

I was even able to take the roller camshaft out of it for use in my turbo car. The camshaft has almost no wear on it and I still keep it for a spare.
Old 06-05-2010, 12:46 PM   #19
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Iowa
Send a message via AIM to jimmy_beaner Send a message via MSN to jimmy_beaner Send a message via Yahoo to jimmy_beaner

It may be worth noting... my GT has 145k miles on the ticker. Still running strong, ask SonicPony

SOLD! 2002 Sonic Blue GT, 5 Speed
Mods: MGW Short Throw Shifter, Mach 1 Brakes
Hypercoated Saleens, Eibach Pro-Kit, Bilstein shocks/struts, Borla Exhaust, Steeda Wing, 03 Cobra hood, Cobra mirrors, 03 Cobra Front Bumper, smoked fogs/headlights, 03 Cobra side skirts, Grill Delete, Mach C-pillars
jimmy_beaner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 07:30 AM   #20
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

a guy on svtperformance.com has an 03 cobra with a MASSIVE amount of miles and its modded up, running great still no issues or anything. Its all in how you take care of it.
Old 05-27-2015, 03:22 PM   #21

Region: California
I know I'm replying to a post from a few years ago, but I just had to say that last night my 2003 Mustang turned over to 270,000. I've never had any major work done. She does need some work now. I'm not ready to let her go and I'm hoping I'll get a few more years before I have to get another car.
2003Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 08:49 PM   #22
doyouevenforum

Well for a car that cost me under 30k brand new (dat base model though) and makes over 400whp with very simple bolt ons.. I'm doing perty good son. My friend had a mazdaspeed 3 and hated it. It was stock low miles and had several problems out of it. Traded it for a focus st and says it's so much better. Also if you take care of it and keep maintance it will last.. and don't have a lead foot.. which is hard to do

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Old 05-29-2015, 06:37 AM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin
Watched the video. ????? My 2014 gt auto. box stock ran 12.92 @ 109 mph in the qtr. The one in the video seems abit slow.
bodon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 07:34 AM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Mexico
I have 18,000+ on mine and still going strong, lol....
Old 05-29-2015, 07:39 AM   #25
Kevin.Cook

Any car is only as good as the person who owns it, takes care of it. Any car can break down at 20k miles because the person forgot to ever change the oil. My 08 Mustang had almost 100k miles when I traded it in. I did a spark plug change, oil change, air filter, and new shocks and struts. That thing went down the road feeling brand new. Plus, the maintenance cycles aren't nearly as demanding as imports.

On my 3000GT, I had to change the Timing belt, tensioners, and water pump every 60k miles. Costing 1,500-2000. Shops would charge 500-600 for a spark plug change on them. OR you could buy everything for 100 and spend 2-3 hours doing it yourself. This is just 2 examples out of the many.

This is what I love about my Mustang. I NEVER have to go through that again.
Old 06-30-2016, 10:37 PM   #26

Region: Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by blue-saleen View Post
now, i know stangs really arent super fast or anything, but hey, they have good potential right? of course they are muscle cars and not sports cars so they certainly arent going to have the speed and luxury of your big name imports. so why do so many of my friends hate on stangs? (besides the fact that they are jealous)

also, he say a mustang could never last to 200,000 miles. anyone have one with more than that? how long do they last? how long could one last if it is well taken care of.

sorry for the long read.
I purchased a Mustang, 3.8 liter, 5 speed manual with 26 miles on it in May of 2000. I am still driving it seven sets of tires, two clutches and several sets of brakes later, it has 225,000 miles and has never had a major repair, not even the water pump! It has never stranded me, and now it is getting tired I need to replace it but I can't bring myself to do so. I almost want to keep driving it a little longer just to see if it will go more than sixteen years of really fun driving, I still love it.
Joanne Lord, Edmonds WA
jlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 03:37 AM   #27

Region: Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by blue-saleen View Post

sorry for the long read.
My name is aaron hogan. I have a black 2000 mustang 3.8L v6 with 305, 647 miles. I have changed from regular oil to royal purple synthetic oil, changed regular spark plugs to BOSCH DOUBLE IRIDIUM PLUGS. Do not have any dash lights on and car runs fine. So YES MUSTANGS CAN EXCEED 200,000 miles
My2000pony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 04:54 AM   #28
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Region: South Carolina
Just hop on Craigslist. It's easy to find a bunch of mustangs with over 200k, sadly they all want prices as if they only had 20k on them....

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920AZ using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Old 10-02-2016, 11:23 AM   #29

Region: Florida
My mustang is an 2006 Mustang with 128K plus miles on it. I want to make it at least to 200K or more! Is there extra care to take on the regular maintenance of a car with this many miles on it? Should I have the grime and dirt washed off of the engine? I've read that this can overheat the engine. I live in FL where its extremely hot most of the year. This causes many problems with our cars. The only engine repair I've needed so far was for a water pump leaking.
As for the interior pieces and parts have def broken off.
Sorry for the remedial questions. Thanks gentlemen! Janice
jbohrk is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion