thinking of buying another stang... - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 01-26-2010, 11:17 AM   #1
A.K.A. Baby-D!

Region: Louisiana
thinking of buying another stang...

but not sure what to go for. i know what i WANT just dk what i can AFFORD...

what are some ballpark prices on the 99-04 GT? and how about the 05-09 V6?

i REALLY want a V8. but i know i can't afford one newer than 04, which would be okay, because i really like this body style =)

my mom has an 06 V6. I really like the difference in power and handling from my 04 V6. plus i love the interior styling. i do prefer the exterior of mine, though...

about to sell my Dakota and that'll provide a decent down payment. was thinking of possibly trading in my 04 V6 as well but i just can't convince myself to let go of my very first Mustang...

opinions please?
Previous:
2004 V6--my first pony
1988 GT--July 2010 MOTM
04TRV6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-26-2010, 12:57 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV
Re: thinking of buying another stang...

just save up until you can get what you want. Back in college I wanted a V8 and a GT from 96-04 is simply not enough with only 260hp... I wanted at least 300 so a mach1 or an 03/04 cobra was all that I would consider. I saved and got the 03 cobra and am very happy, took a while but in the end it worked out good.
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 01:34 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Send a message via AIM to 00STANG00 Send a message via Yahoo to 00STANG00

the cost depends on the condition it is in my 00 v6 was $3000
Advertisement

Old 01-26-2010, 03:04 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois

There is an 01 i think in my town that had a motor replace with an 04 engine i bought the one that came out of it and the only thing wrong was like a lifter or something in the heads which i bought. They might take 6,500 and i'm sure they would take 7,000 the engine has about 50,000 miles on it its an auto lowered has chin spoiler mach 1 grill and is in great shape only problem is that you live so far away
upton7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 09:03 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04TRV6 View Post
but not sure what to go for. i know what i WANT just dk what i can AFFORD...

what are some ballpark prices on the 99-04 GT? and how about the 05-09 V6?

i REALLY want a V8. but i know i can't afford one newer than 04, which would be okay, because i really like this body style =)

my mom has an 06 V6. I really like the difference in power and handling from my 04 V6. plus i love the interior styling. i do prefer the exterior of mine, though...

about to sell my Dakota and that'll provide a decent down payment. was thinking of possibly trading in my 04 V6 as well but i just can't convince myself to let go of my very first Mustang...

opinions please?
I think it really depends on what you want out of the v8. If you just want a v8 for the sound that has fair performance, a 99-04 GT is probably your best bet. The 4.6 2V will feel yards ahead of the 3.8, despite the 2v being average in performance. I think its the boost in torque and rearend. A 99-04 GT with a 5spd can be had for anywhere from 4000-10k based on mileage, condition, etc. There are a few up here with 30-70K miles for 5-8 thousand...so they are definitely affordable.

Definitely consider what SpectorV said. If you are dead set on a certain v8 model, like a Mach 1 or a cobra and can't afford it now, save up and make it happen when you're comfortable with the purchase. There's no sense in just buying a GT to be buying it, you'll regret it and wish you had the other stang instead.

As far as the 05-09 v6, they are better than the 3.8/3.9's, but still slower than the GT's. Plus, I haven't seen one under $10K yet, so they haven't depreciated enough. At least not for me, lol.

12 Black GT500 SVT PP l VMP TVS l JLT123 l O/R X l 28x11.50Rx15 M/T Street R's l BMR Suspension l Recaros

03 Sonic Blue 3.8 / 17 Magnetic Fusion Sport 2.7 EB
sonicpony03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 09:24 PM   #6
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: California
Send a message via AIM to MonteCitan

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectorV View Post
just save up until you can get what you want. Back in college I wanted a V8 and a GT from 96-04 is simply not enough with only 260hp... I wanted at least 300 so a mach1 or an 03/04 cobra was all that I would consider. I saved and got the 03 cobra and am very happy, took a while but in the end it worked out good.
All you power hungry people...

A tastefully modded GT will handle boost AND still be a blast to drive with a 'measley 260HP'

BTW, mine ran an 8.9@84 the other day, equivalent of mid 13.5s.. FEW boltons, mach 1s barely run faster than that

And it will respond well to boost, too

Not to mention the aftermarket for them is opening up a ton.. Trickflow just came out with Twisted Wedge heads, fox lake/MM build heads for the car, cams/intake manifolds/full exhaust/etc.. not to mention there are numerous block/crank/piston/etc mods out there now..

The options are not as limited as they were 4-5 years ago.

I'm aiming for 400WHP before too long here, even if the stock block gives out, hey time to upgrade..
Old 01-26-2010, 09:26 PM   #7
Legacy Member
Legacy

Oh and for what its worth, bought mine with just a little cosmetic damage, a bad clunking noise and a dead miss for $4k

Spent less than $13 to get it back up to running shape (had a spare coil, and needed 2 bolts for the back of the trans) with 58k miles on it, interior/exterior in great shape except for a small spot on the passenger rear 1/4... Its worth almost double what I paid for it..

For the same $4k you could find a fox in GREAT shape, potentially even mildly modified..
Old 01-26-2010, 09:46 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonteCitan View Post
All you power hungry people...

A tastefully modded GT will handle boost AND still be a blast to drive with a 'measley 260HP'

BTW, mine ran an 8.9@84 the other day, equivalent of mid 13.5s.. FEW boltons, mach 1s barely run faster than that

And it will respond well to boost, too

Not to mention the aftermarket for them is opening up a ton.. Trickflow just came out with Twisted Wedge heads, fox lake/MM build heads for the car, cams/intake manifolds/full exhaust/etc.. not to mention there are numerous block/crank/piston/etc mods out there now..

The options are not as limited as they were 4-5 years ago.

I'm aiming for 400WHP before too long here, even if the stock block gives out, hey time to upgrade..
I'm sure he was talking about the GT in stock form...but then he does have a cobra, so everything else seems slow

I would gladly take a 99-04 GT, the stock performance is decent, and as you said, the modding possibilities seem endless. They may not respond as well as a 03/04 cobra, but a few good bolt ons and a tune will have you hanging with S197 GT's.

I've heard about the Trickflow heads, the gains are supposed to be crazy.

12 Black GT500 SVT PP l VMP TVS l JLT123 l O/R X l 28x11.50Rx15 M/T Street R's l BMR Suspension l Recaros

Old 01-26-2010, 10:56 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

my 00 GT was 6000

00 GT 5spd
flowmasters exhaust
cold air intake
3.73 gears
and a 18 year old adrenaline junkie :burnout:
jkaminski24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 11:34 PM   #10
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Mississippi
Send a message via AIM to lowflyn

All about what you're wanting...I went back and forth for several years until I finally told myself I wasn't going to buy anything but a sonic blue 03 cobra convertible. Once I finished school, got a job and got bills out of the way I took about 6 months searching till I found my car.

Would I be happy with a GT? O yeh. Tiff's car has plenty of power for anything you need to do. Now we just need a midpipe for her car.
Our's:
90 7up vert - new project-07 DSG Focus -DD
lowflyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 11:48 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

my advice would be to pick the exact car you want. go to auto trader or something like that and price it out that will give you a pretty good idea of what its gonna cost you.
i would also recommend you get the Cobra, i have the GT and i love it but the package you get with the cobra is all around better i think anyway. Plus you get that extra power and you gotta love that....

00 GT 5spd
flowmasters exhaust
cold air intake
3.73 gears
Old 01-27-2010, 12:11 AM   #12
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkaminski24 View Post
my advice would be to pick the exact car you want. go to auto trader or something like that and price it out that will give you a pretty good idea of what its gonna cost you.
i would also recommend you get the Cobra, i have the GT and i love it but the package you get with the cobra is all around better i think anyway. Plus you get that extra power and you gotta love that....
You also spend a lot more off the bat, spend just as much in mods as you would on the GT, insurance will likely be higher, if you break something.. good luck! 4V engines are a lot more expensive to repair/find parts for, not to mention a bigger PITA with those extra set of chains..

Not that I wouldn't love to have a cobra/mach 1 (actually would love to have a mach 1) but.. I, for one, am the type to get a 4 door buick into the 12s.. No one expects it! I have the same thoughts about the GT (oh hey, another cobra with a loud blower and a way too aggressive driver.. vs oh hey, that's one fast mustang, I would have never expected it - I did that same thing with my 92 LX...)

Best line EVER at the track, dude walks up to me as I'm pulling out my headlight, SC in plain sight "Dude, you have balls bringing a buick to the track!"

I'm all for that cobra! But why not get a car you can enjoy in the meantime? You might get attached..
Old 01-27-2010, 12:20 PM   #13
n8r
Legacy Member
Legacy

Keep the dakota, sell the mustang, buy a jeep
n8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 12:22 PM   #14
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by n8r View Post
Keep the dakota, sell the mustang, buy a jeep
you left off then become a lesbian.
Old 01-27-2010, 01:20 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonteCitan View Post
You also spend a lot more off the bat, spend just as much in mods as you would on the GT, insurance will likely be higher, if you break something.. good luck! 4V engines are a lot more expensive to repair/find parts for, not to mention a bigger PITA with those extra set of chains..

Not that I wouldn't love to have a cobra/mach 1 (actually would love to have a mach 1) but.. I, for one, am the type to get a 4 door buick into the 12s.. No one expects it! I have the same thoughts about the GT (oh hey, another cobra with a loud blower and a way too aggressive driver.. vs oh hey, that's one fast mustang, I would have never expected it - I did that same thing with my 92 LX...)

Best line EVER at the track, dude walks up to me as I'm pulling out my headlight, SC in plain sight "Dude, you have balls bringing a buick to the track!"

I'm all for that cobra! But why not get a car you can enjoy in the meantime? You might get attached..

You put up a good arguement, i like the idea of building up a car from almost nothing its fun and gives you that awsome feeling of acomplishment when you are finaly finished. I was originally looking for the cobra but when i went and looked at the GT i have now, when it pulled up in my drive way i immediately fell in love with it.
With bolt-ons i personally dont know enough about cars to even think about spending money on them without asking you guys. Plus there are so many of them to choose from were do you start lol.
If you buy the cobra right off you pretty much have everything you need for everyday street driving and a little fun on the side.

00 GT 5spd
flowmasters exhaust
cold air intake
3.73 gears
Old 01-27-2010, 04:10 PM   #16
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

well the main reason I got my 03 cobra is modability, I want to mod my car and you can do just as much as you can with any other car~ thats the reason I got mine, 2k invested = 550hp
Old 01-28-2010, 07:54 AM   #17
A.K.A. Baby-D!

i think i'll save up for a Mach 1. i've always wanted a torch red Mach 1. they have an 03 oxford white one near my house i think i enjoy seeing that car a little too much
Previous:
2004 V6--my first pony
1988 GT--July 2010 MOTM
Old 01-28-2010, 09:21 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
i think i'll save up for a Mach 1. i've always wanted a torch red Mach 1. they have an 03 oxford white one near my house i think i enjoy seeing that car a little too much
Mach 1 is a good choice.
big show 98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 09:42 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia

Click image for larger version

Name:	foxbody.jpg
Views:	117508
Size:	116.8 KB
ID:	21412get a rebuilt foxbody...with the 5.0...w/ saleen wing...& saleen rims...ooohhh hold me
04' mustang 3.9 40th Anniversary Edition- (V2 Vortech Supercharger, 38# injectors, 3.73 gears w/ T-lok, Predator Diablo, Mac cold air intake, Port & polished upper AND lower intake manifold, Mac Long Tube Headers, Mac o/r H pipe, flowmasters, 2.5 flowmaster tips)

03' Mustang GT (20" Cobra R's, 40 series Flowmasters)
Zebs5408 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 10:21 PM   #20
Staff
Blogger
Staff

Region: Georgia
Send a message via Skype™ to 99ford

You probably made a good choice. I'm a college student as well and it's nice to have extra money around. If u get a deal on an 8 go for it. I shoulda spent less on mine, but I don't mind having a little less money.
99ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 08:20 AM   #21
A.K.A. Baby-D!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zebs5408 View Post
Attachment 21412get a rebuilt foxbody...with the 5.0...w/ saleen wing...& saleen rims...ooohhh hold me
ahh you guys are gonna hate me... but my least favorite stang is the foxbody. yea you can make them killer fast as drag cars, but i just can't stand the body style of them.
Previous:
2004 V6--my first pony
1988 GT--July 2010 MOTM
Old 01-29-2010, 08:21 AM   #22
A.K.A. Baby-D!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99ford View Post
You probably made a good choice. I'm a college student as well and it's nice to have extra money around. If u get a deal on an 8 go for it. I shoulda spent less on mine, but I don't mind having a little less money.
i don't mind having a little less money either considering i get the mustang i want =)
Previous:
2004 V6--my first pony
1988 GT--July 2010 MOTM
Old 01-29-2010, 09:19 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Not a bad idea at all. I am considering the same thing shortly...if I get this decent paying job. Mach 1's are nice cars...above the 2v GT, but below the 03/04 Cobra. You still get the 4v 32 valve 4.6L, which is a strong engine, and the solid rear if you prefer that.

I think I might go the Mach 1 route for a little while, save up, then sell Mach 1 in on a low mileage low to no modded terminator. The v6 will stay with me the whole time of course...I'm not letting that one go.

Old 01-31-2010, 04:16 PM   #24
A.K.A. Baby-D!

same here, i'll never let go of my V6... simply sentimental reasons =)
Previous:
2004 V6--my first pony
1988 GT--July 2010 MOTM
Old 02-08-2010, 08:29 AM   #25
A.K.A. Baby-D!

well, after deciding on a Mach 1 my fiance saw an add for a 99 Cobra...

so i bit on it.. went check out the car.. was HIGHLY disappointed..

it was torch red. with a SALEEN body kit.... but he did keep the cobra badges & grille emblem as well as the cobra rims. the front bumper was sagging on the driver side. door wasn't lined up on passenger side. didn't get the chance to pop the hood and see what else went on.. needless to say i had no doubt either 1) the car was wrecked or 2) some guy REALLY doesn't know how to put on a body kit...

but out of curiousity, i decided to call him. he wants 18k. the car has 69k miles.

when i asked him why there was a saleen body kit on a Cobra, he simply stuttered then said, oh, uh, i bought it that way... asked if it had been wrecked and again stuttered, and said no. when i asked why some body panels weren't lined up right, you guessed it, he stuttered and said, oh uh, i bought it that way.

this guy is an idiot! i'm a FEMALE and it was easy for me to see without popping the hood or anything else, that this car had been roughened up pretty bad. i know if i had a cobra, i wouldn't put a Saleen body kit on the car, and if i would i would at least get it done right. he claimed that he couldn't get the clips for the front bumper from Saleen to pull it tight..

whats you guys opinion?
Previous:
2004 V6--my first pony
1988 GT--July 2010 MOTM
Old 02-08-2010, 10:35 AM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
Send a message via AIM to OsirisGuy

Meh, doesn't sound right to me. And $18K for a '99 Cobra? Did you run the VIN? Is it an actual Cobra? The guy may just be calling one and throwing on a body kit hoping no one knows the difference. If I'm not mistaken, $19K will get you an 03/04 Cobra now a days, and I'd much rather the DOHC Mach I (or DOHC Termi (03/04 Cobra)) than a '99 Cobra.
Quote:
Originally Posted by stangaroo View Post
OsirisGuy is right
2002 Mustang GT

BBK CAI - Flowmaster Catbacks - Pro 5.0 Shifter
OsirisGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 10:52 AM   #27
A.K.A. Baby-D!

my thoughts exactly. it had the right engine specs for a 99 cobra listed, but like i said, i didn't get to look under the hood to verify what was on the paper.

either way, this guy is an idiot, IMO. Saleen body kit with the Saleen running stripes and Saleen written across the windshield... but cobra badges & grille emblem and selling as a 99 Cobra?

MAYBE someone would buy this car, if they knew NOTHING about Mustangs. i called the bluff the second i laid eyes on the car. it would look good, considering the body kit be pulled in.

my first thought is that the car was wrecked & someone decided to go with a Saleen body kit to replace the damages parts while they had insurance money in their pocket...

or it could even be a 6banger under the hood and someone doesn't know how to match brands of mustang. it had red colored inserts on the interior, but the seats were solid dark grey. and if i remember correctly, the only red part is the insert on the door???? this one had the radio bezel & gauge cluster bezel painted red also. which is what i have done on my car [plus some other things painted as well] that was all painted by myself & you can't tell the difference from the factory red ones.

either way, i feel that 18k is too much for this car.
Previous:
2004 V6--my first pony
1988 GT--July 2010 MOTM
Old 02-08-2010, 10:55 AM   #28
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

Send a message via AIM to PureVenom Send a message via MSN to PureVenom Send a message via Yahoo to PureVenom

Keep in mind...saleen did release cobra models as well...however, he should have documentation to prove it to you. Roush also released cobra models as just an FYI. These "special" editions are just the cobra from that year with the saleen appearance mods. No extra performance mods at all. And there were only single digit releases of those special editions.
Old 02-08-2010, 11:01 AM   #29
A.K.A. Baby-D!

hmm good to know. news to me..

however, single digit releases? then it would be much more than 18k, right?

idk.. something about the way the guy acted totally threw me off. he put it all on the PO... and didn't sound like he know anything about Mustangs.. or cars in general...

THEN AGAIN, maybe i shocked him when he heard a female voice questioning the reasoning for a Saleen kit on a Cobra. he sure did freeze up.

ha.. my only regret is i didn't ask for him to come meet me so i could test drive it =)
Previous:
2004 V6--my first pony
1988 GT--July 2010 MOTM
Old 02-08-2010, 11:04 AM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

With the way you're describing it I wouldn't even want to test drive it, personally though.
Quote:
OsirisGuy is right
2002 Mustang GT

Old 02-08-2010, 11:05 AM   #31
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

Send a message via AIM to PureVenom Send a message via MSN to PureVenom Send a message via Yahoo to PureVenom

Yeah, it's on a "by order" status and typically adds 10-20k to the price tag of the cobra if I remember right. You basically place your order with saleen for one, they get the car from ford and then make their changes and ship it to you.

As for whether it was real or not, odds are it wasn't because of the fact that they are so rare. However, there are both an 03 Saleen Cobra and an 03 Roush Cobra in baton rouge that I have seen in person. So, it is very possible that it could be real. However, I think you are correct...if someone had a real Saleen Cobra, then, they would be asking stupid money for it and not 19k unless there were problems with the car.
Old 02-08-2010, 11:09 AM   #32
A.K.A. Baby-D!

why not test drive it? get a little fun out of it.. and some kind of payment for my wasted trip..

might call the guy back though. if it would be a real Saleen Cobra, 18k might work =) i don't mind doing a little body work if need be...

i wanna get the VIN & find out some history. curiosity kills the cat i guess.
Previous:
2004 V6--my first pony
1988 GT--July 2010 MOTM
Old 02-08-2010, 11:12 AM   #33
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

You would definitely want the VIN to verify it is a cobra first of all. Then you should be able to call Saleen up and verify it is a saleen cobra...unless he gives you the build number of the saleen as well....since they are all numbered and have the number on the front bumper.
Old 02-08-2010, 11:14 AM   #34
A.K.A. Baby-D!

didn't even think of that.. but no number on the front bumper.

think i should stick to my gut & run from the car...
Previous:
2004 V6--my first pony
1988 GT--July 2010 MOTM
Old 02-08-2010, 11:22 AM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

I wouldn't drive a Mustang (or nearly any car) that seems to be so poorly taken car of out of principle. And to do that to a Mustang and drive one makes it even worse.
Quote:
OsirisGuy is right
2002 Mustang GT

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion