Buying a GT500 for over MSRP - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 06-30-2006, 11:17 AM   #1
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV
Buying a GT500 for over MSRP

We all know that these tanks are going to be much higher than suggested retail due to dealerships wanting to make some money. My question is, if you owned a dealership and recieved a GT500 or two would you sell them for MSRP or stick on 30k to the price to make some money? Keep in mind you see every other dealership adding on to the price and they have people lined up to pick one up (for the most part... whats waiting a couple weeks to make 30 grand right?)

I mean its money directly into your pocket that you dont have to do anything for other than wait for someone rich to walk into your dealership and write a check... would you mark them up? What would you do?

Should ford regulate these types of issues, ford doesnt get anything for it.... its only the dealerships. Dealerships will sell it for any price they can get and they dont give a crap... so if Ford does not regulate it it wont get regulated. If you think ford should be able to control prices with in REASON what would you consider reasonable/unreasonable.

Side note: If you say I would sell them for MSRP you are stupid... why would you turn down 30k if everyone else is also getting such massive profits.
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-30-2006, 11:22 AM   #2
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Send a message via AIM to PureVenom Send a message via MSN to PureVenom Send a message via Yahoo to PureVenom
Re: Buying a GT500 for over MSRP

I would sell for MSRP. I would not be looking for the quick 30k...but the for down the road 100k from future sales to that person and their family. Prove you are there for the customer and you will have a customer for life. Bend them over the barrel, you have lost them and others for life.

Plus, if you sell for MSRP, when the other GT500's are still sitting on lots collecting dust, you can do dealer trades and sell GTs that aren't even yours to sell adding to your profit because everyone wants to buy from you. Other dealers will start selling for MSRP or trading to other dealers because they will get tired of losing money from the cost of that car sitting on their lot. Yet another reason to sell MSRP...no expenses waiting for it to sell that could quickly eat up that 30k profit you are trying to get.
Old 06-30-2006, 11:25 AM   #3
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

Send a message via AIM to PureVenom Send a message via MSN to PureVenom Send a message via Yahoo to PureVenom

And part 2 of your post...should ford regulate it? Ford should charge the stealerships a fee for markups at least. This should be around a 50% fee for marking up in hopes of driving the desire to markup down. Markups only hurt fords name. They already have their money since the car is paid for by the dealership and out of ford's hands. Once on the lot, it is the dealership that pays fees on the inventory. so, 50% to ford plus the fees for having the inventory will wipe out any markup and end up costing the dealership money.
PureVenom is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-30-2006, 11:33 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

I think selling for a good price is going to net you more return customers, but.... if EVERYONE is selling for that much and you dont does that make good business since? It would take you selling far more cars than any one person will buy in a lifetime to make up 30k profit. Imagine how many cars you would have to sell to pick up that kind of money. If the dealership cleared 2k (final profit aka take home profit which would be VERY high) a car thats still 15 cars.
Old 06-30-2006, 11:40 AM   #5
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

However, you are forgetting that you post on forums that you picked up a GT500 for MSRP or a little under. That goes out to thousands. Not to mention, you tell your buddies, and family members that my dealership worked with you and took care of you. They tell their friends and family. 15 ups from that will not be all that many when hundreds and possibly thousands of people now know about my dealership.

These other dealers still have their merch sitting on their lot. It costs them a few hundred (or more) in taxes and/or fees per month. It sits for months because everyone knows that I am a cool guy and they come to me. You are now stuck sitting on your liability while I am moving 07 GTs, V6s, F150s, etc, because friends and family members have heard that I am customer focused. 15 cars is not a lot in that model. In the end, your dealership is stuck with an over priced liability and you sell/trade it to me for what you paid for it because you need to ditch this money pit you are trying to jack people with. I then make money on a car that was never sitting on my lot costing me money.

Money isn't made in a one time deal. Money is made 4 years from now when you come back and buy another car...and your friends come back...and their friends...etc. 15 cars is a drop in the ocean when you look at the full picture.

EDIT: Look at SVTP and all the posts about the dealerships trying to jack people and telling how much they are trying to jack you for. Word of mouth advertising can make or break you. In their case, anyone that reads they are jacking you will avoid that dealer...and it will cost them more than their 30k hope and dream.
Old 06-30-2006, 12:19 PM   #6
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Mississippi
Send a message via AIM to lowflyn

If I owned a dealership..I'd buy the first one. And from that point on charge whatever I can to sell it.
Our's:
90 7up vert - new project-07 DSG Focus -DD
lowflyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2006, 03:48 PM   #7
Regular

Region: Tennessee

I would do the same as Smurfin

Reddit
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2006, 04:10 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

what if the future was uncertian and you didnt know if you would still be owning the dealership say 10 years down the road... 30 grand is a good bit to say no to.
Old 06-30-2006, 04:14 PM   #9
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectorV View Post
what if the future was uncertian and you didnt know if you would still be owning the dealership say 10 years down the road... 30 grand is a good bit to say no to.
since the future is uncertain, who says a sucker is going to walk in off the street and take the *** raping you are offering them? that 30k dream may just sit and collect dust and scratches.

quick money will not make you big money.
Old 07-01-2006, 08:37 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas

i would probably sell it a little over MSRP but a ****load lower than other dealerships

but yes ford should regulate this

In Texas? check out www.lonestarstangs.com
timpryor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2006, 02:16 PM   #11
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: California
Send a message via AIM to Thomas91169

i would sell it for ****loads over MSRP.

thats what ford gets for overpricing their cars, and what rich bastards get who have no intention of using the car for what it was designed for anyways.

then id take a few of the normal 05/06's, slap on the C500 kit that makes them look like a shelby should, slap on a nitrous kit(but no bottle/empty bottle) with the "go baby go" shifter and everything that eleanor has, and price it around 50k and call them "Eleanors" and watch as my dealership sells one-off GT500 clones faster than the real thing.

then again i hate the new GT500's and might let them go for almost zero profit to stick it to the man. i know i could make up the margin on overpricing some f00zion or something ghey. maybe overprice some ****ty hybrid escape to make up for the buyer thinking theyre saving money on gas mileage.

1998 Eclipse GST Spyder - 14b turbo | 3" Catback | Evo8 BoV | 170fwhp if that

2003 Redfire Cobra - 448whp/435wtq - Sold
Thomas91169 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2006, 02:40 PM   #12
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

^ Once you get the car from Ford, you have already given "the man" their money. Ford gets paid whether you sell the car or not because your dealership had to buy it from Ford. Selling for no profit would only hurt your bottom line, not Ford's.

This is proven with the fact that the Ford GT is listed as every single one was sold yet there are many still sitting at dealerships waiting for a buyer. It is sold as far as Ford is concerned once it goes to your dealership. Anything after that is your profit margin.
Old 07-28-2006, 06:43 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Nevada

our division manager is getting one as a company car . We got the dealer invoice when it got purchased . $12,750 on top of MSRP !
gasman66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2006, 01:12 PM   #14
Zim
You want to **** me?
Legacy

Region: Missouri

We have a ford dealership around here thats selling them at MSRP, hell... one guy's leasing one!

I like toys
Zim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2006, 03:34 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zim View Post
We have a ford dealership around here thats selling them at MSRP, hell... one guy's leasing one!
Betcha he want have them on his showroom for very long.
JROC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2007, 12:09 PM   #16

Another quote: "A fool and his money are soon parted." 500's are now selling at $15,000 over MSRP all day in California. Dealers are starting to be overstocked as the LasVegas Shelby's are hitting the markets as well....
LostMustang1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2007, 12:21 PM   #17
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: New Jersey
Send a message via AIM to meteorachick

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostMustang1968 View Post
Another quote: "A fool and his money are soon parted." 500's are now selling at $15,000 over MSRP all day in California. Dealers are starting to be overstocked as the LasVegas Shelby's are hitting the markets as well....
las vegas always seems to have the new cars first, last time i was out there everyone drove a really nice car (first time i ever saw 2 roush mustangs sitting at a light in a row)----i was in car heaven out there

Modified 2004 V6
meteorachick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2007, 12:47 PM   #18
Legacy Member
Legacy

Send a message via AIM to MonteCitan

Quote:
Originally Posted by PureVenom View Post
I would sell for MSRP. I would not be looking for the quick 30k...but the for down the road 100k from future sales to that person and their family. Prove you are there for the customer and you will have a customer for life. Bend them over the barrel, you have lost them and others for life.

Plus, if you sell for MSRP, when the other GT500's are still sitting on lots collecting dust, you can do dealer trades and sell GTs that aren't even yours to sell adding to your profit because everyone wants to buy from you. Other dealers will start selling for MSRP or trading to other dealers because they will get tired of losing money from the cost of that car sitting on their lot. Yet another reason to sell MSRP...no expenses waiting for it to sell that could quickly eat up that 30k profit you are trying to get.
My thoughts exactly

well put
Old 02-04-2007, 05:15 PM   #19
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

In todays market satisfaction is NOT enough. Study s show that a customer is only 8% more prone to come back to you for future sales when they are simply satisfied. If you delight your customer instead of just satisfy then you have a 400% change they will be return customers. That is the key to maintaining a good business.
Old 02-10-2007, 04:00 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee

Quote:
Originally Posted by meteorachick View Post
las vegas always seems to have the new cars first, last time i was out there everyone drove a really nice car (first time i ever saw 2 roush mustangs sitting at a light in a row)----i was in car heaven out there
Yeah I say its a image thing out there got to be the first to have it.
rocknbronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 07:56 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Talking Re: Buying a GT500 for over MSRP

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostMustang1968 View Post
Hayward Ford Sold one for 125K!!!!. If I owned a dealership I would sell at what the market price is. Ebay IS the market price. Bidding stops around 10 K over. Dealerships employ people and also pass some of that onto the salesman. That being said, I wish I could buy a 2008 GT500KR at a reasonable price. GGBIW
2008 Ford Harley F350 V10 4X4 Crew Cab
2004 Harley FLHT with 120 cubic inch Jims Stroker
2007 Harley 1250cc Screaming Eagle Vrod
ggbiw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 10:56 AM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arkansas

I would go to Chevy and buy a new Z06 rather than pay 30k over MSRP. W & W Ford in Searcy Arkansas was offering an 07 GT-500 Vert for about 6K over MSRP, or $54,000. I would have dealt with them to see how low they would go.
fear1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 06:32 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania

forget the stealerships, ford should just sell em right from factory themselves. they'd make some money that way and ton more ppl would be a hell of alot happier. how cool would that be? call up a designated factory sales line and tell them exactly what you want and they say ok, here is your price as well as everyone else price that wants the exact same set up as you.
Old 09-11-2007, 06:38 PM   #24
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by fear1 View Post
I would go to Chevy and buy a new Z06 rather than pay 30k over MSRP. W & W Ford in Searcy Arkansas was offering an 07 GT-500 Vert for about 6K over MSRP, or $54,000. I would have dealt with them to see how low they would go.
They would have went as low as the next person in line and forgotten you.
Old 09-11-2007, 09:31 PM   #25
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

the new z06 is still much more than you can get a gt500 for. I wouldnt mind one but NOT for 60k~ more like hmm.... sticker??? lol
Old 09-12-2007, 03:58 AM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina

Z06's MSRP is around 70K for a base one. I think its was like 65K and if I not mistaken it has gone up to around 68K or something.

The GT500's MSRP is almost 30K less than the Z06's and the Z06's have a nice little markup on them to. I'm seeing where more and more people are getting their GT500's for close to and in some cases at MSRP. I think you just have to look around for them. For their MSRP I don't think the GT500 is a bad deal, but its not worth 60K either, and the Z06 is a great value, but lets be honest if you can afford one your pretty well off. They are not cheap even if they are a great value.
JROC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 07:10 AM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Think about it, if a Ford dealer is adding $30K to a $46K car, you end up with $76K. Wow, $6K over the price of a Z06. I guess it us just different here, not all dealers stick it to you. I picked up my GT for about $800 under invoice. It just depends on how slow it is around the dealer that day, no matter if we are talking Z06's or GT500's. Remember, Panama City is alot different than Little Rock. here we have cars like this sitting on showroom floors without big stickers.

Guess I should have looked at your page a little closer pure venom, I thought you were from the Panama City area.
Old 09-12-2007, 09:00 AM   #28
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Well... if the dealer knows someone will pay 60k they WILL not sell for invoice lol... would you? Hell if I knew I could pocket 15k if I waited a little bit I would turn down any reasonable offer and hold out... its all about money.
Old 09-19-2007, 10:06 PM   #29
Legacy Member
Legacy

Send a message via AIM to DarkShadow

GT500's are going for about $49,000 around here. :dunno:

where? I have looked and called many a places and they are always pushing the price up (well i guess 49k isnt that bad its 5k over sticker~ which is still way to much but... compared to other places)
Old 09-20-2007, 07:23 AM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkShadow View Post
I'd pay that in a heart beat!!!
Old 09-20-2007, 06:04 PM   #31
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Mississippi
Send a message via AIM to lowflyn

Went by a dealership today, 25k markup still. Black vert.
Our's:
90 7up vert - new project-07 DSG Focus -DD
lowflyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 12:08 PM   #32
Edo

TO ZIM
You are really selling 2007 GT500 at MSRP ? I'm planning to buy one.
Edo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 12:16 PM   #33
Edo

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkShadow View Post

where? I have looked and called many a places and they are always pushing the price up (well i guess 49k isnt that bad its 5k over sticker~ which is still way to much but... compared to other places)
I'm planning to buy a 2007 GT500. Do you have any ford dealers' phone numbers or websites plz ? tx
Edo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 11:16 PM   #34

Regardless of what you read online, FMC Dealers are told Shelby ONLY has a contract with Ford for 07 and 08. I sell all the Shelbys from our 2 Ford Stores in Jersey. Every single GT500 has sold for $15k over MSRP, except for the first few that went for $30k over. I just sold a KR for "market vakue at the time of delivery". I already know a Performance shop that just paid $100k for one of the first KR. Dealers do not make up the market value, the consumers do. You can blame the first idiot that paid over 1/2 Million dollars for the very first GT500. Ford doesn't really have control over dealers. Most bigger dealers have owners. They might start off owning small percentage of the dealership as a Dealer Development store, in few years owning 100%. Owning 9 Mustang in a row, it's kind of upsetting to see these GT500 customers not loyal Ford customers. Most have Ferarri, Porsche , and etc. in their driveway. They can afford to spend $150k on a high 12-sec. car, but can't afford to spend $60k on a low 12-sec car that has alot more potential. (1/4 mile atleast.....we live in America)
Anyway, anyone interested in Roush, Foose, Shelby, or any other Mustangs give me a call.
201-262-4900
Shelbypusher@aol.com
ShelbyPusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 11:30 PM   #35
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShelbyPusher View Post
Regardless of what you read online, FMC Dealers are told Shelby ONLY has a contract with Ford for 07 and 08. I sell all the Shelbys from our 2 Ford Stores in Jersey. Every single GT500 has sold for $15k over MSRP, except for the first few that went for $30k over. I just sold a KR for "market vakue at the time of delivery". I already know a Performance shop that just paid $100k for one of the first KR. Dealers do not make up the market value, the consumers do. You can blame the first idiot that paid over 1/2 Million dollars for the very first GT500. Ford doesn't really have control over dealers. Most bigger dealers have owners. They might start off owning small percentage of the dealership as a Dealer Development store, in few years owning 100%. Owning 9 Mustang in a row, it's kind of upsetting to see these GT500 customers not loyal Ford customers. Most have Ferarri, Porsche , and etc. in their driveway. They can afford to spend $150k on a high 12-sec. car, but can't afford to spend $60k on a low 12-sec car that has alot more potential. (1/4 mile atleast.....we live in America)
Anyway, anyone interested in Roush, Foose, Shelby, or any other Mustangs give me a call.
Meh...I paid mid 30s for my mid 12 second car...I'll stick with that.

The markup is a result of the consumers. There is an idiot born everyday. The dealerships are going to charge what idiots will pay.

As for the only 07/08 years...well...last year the dealerships were all saying it was only going to be an 07 model year....well, now the 08 option list is out so they can't claim that anymore. NOw they are claiming only an 07/08 model year. Well, later next year when the 09 option list comes out....it will be another story.

Then....with this 08 bullit coming out....can't wait to see the markups on those "bad" boys...

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion