What is the difference? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 05-03-2010, 01:04 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Utah
What is the difference?

Okay, what is the deal with the whole Shelby Mustang vs Cobra Mustang? It seems like some Mustangs are "Cobras" (99-04) while others are conisdered "Shelbys" (05+). What is the difference? What about pre 99 Mustangs?
blue-saleen is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-03-2010, 01:11 PM   #2
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Iowa
Send a message via AIM to jimmy_beaner Send a message via MSN to jimmy_beaner Send a message via Yahoo to jimmy_beaner
Re: What is the difference?

They threw the Shelby name on to be able to charge a little more. SVT designed both vehicles. It's a Cobra, with the Shelby name plate... even maintains Cobra badges

SOLD! 2002 Sonic Blue GT, 5 Speed
Mods: MGW Short Throw Shifter, Mach 1 Brakes
Hypercoated Saleens, Eibach Pro-Kit, Bilstein shocks/struts, Borla Exhaust, Steeda Wing, 03 Cobra hood, Cobra mirrors, 03 Cobra Front Bumper, smoked fogs/headlights, 03 Cobra side skirts, Grill Delete, Mach C-pillars
jimmy_beaner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 01:15 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Utah

Wow, that is... dumb. Do the 05+ Shelbys have IRS?
blue-saleen is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-03-2010, 01:23 PM   #4
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Iowa
Send a message via AIM to jimmy_beaner Send a message via MSN to jimmy_beaner Send a message via Yahoo to jimmy_beaner

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue-saleen View Post
Wow, that is... dumb. Do the 05+ Shelbys have IRS?
Quote:
2007 Ford Shelby Cobra GT500

Shelby: The Legend Grows

By Scott Oldham, Editor in Chief | Published Mar 18, 2005

* Poor
* So-So
* Pretty Good
* Good
* Excellent

6 Ratings
6 Ratings
Ford says the 2007 Shelby Cobra GT500 Mustang (this is not the 2006 Shelby GT500 Cobra Mustang) will be the most powerful factory-built Mustang in history, more powerful than the 1969 Mach 1 428 Super Cobra Jet or even the legendary 1969 Boss 429.

Think about that for a second. Let it sink in. Take a knee if you have to, but the reality is this: When this car hits the streets during the summer of 2006, it'll have 450-plus horsepower, making it the most powerful Mustang ever.

Start saving your pennies now.

Shelby Approves
Ford is calling the car a unique collaboration between the legend Carroll Shelby and the Ford Special Vehicle Team (SVT). "I've worked with the SVT guys for several years now," says Shelby. "And I know they have the guts, the talent and the passion to deliver the best performance Mustangs ever."

Shelby, who built the legendary Shelby Mustangs and Shelby Cobras in the 1960s, served as a senior advisor to the "Dream Team" that was assembled inside the Ford Motor Company to develop and build the 2005 Ford GT supercar.

"Carroll Shelby is truly a living automotive legend, a Ford performance legend," says Phil Martens, Ford group vice president of Product Creation. "It's a dream come true to be able to put the Shelby name on a Mustang again."

Supercharged 5.4-Liter
The Shelby's supercharged 5.4-liter, 32-valve V8 is similar to the engine in the GT. Ford started with the cast-iron 5.4-liter Triton V8 truck engine and added aluminum heads from the GT, specially calibrated camshafts, a Roots-type supercharger making 8.5 pounds of boost, and a water-to-air intercooler.

Under that blower is an all-new low-profile intake manifold, which allows the engine to fit under the GT500's special air-extraction hood. Fuel comes from a dual-bore electronic throttle body borrowed from Ford's 6.8-liter truck engine program, however, the larger radiator, increased-capacity cooling system and the exhaust manifolds are unique to this application.

The engine is also dressed with special "Powered by SVT" finned cam covers which are reminiscent of the "Cobra Powered By Ford" covers used by Shelby five decades ago, and it's backed by the same T-56 six-speed that appeared in the supercharged 2003 SVT Mustang Cobra.

Solid Rear Axle
The GT500 chassis development started during the 2005 Mustang program. "We spent a lot of time at the track developing the new Mustang and ensuring it was capable of handling future performance derivatives," says Hau Thai-Tang, director of Ford Advanced Product Creation and SVT.

The result, according to Ford, will be SVT's signature chassis tuning with a balanced, performance-tuned ride that still maintains the compliance required for everyday driving. And Ford says it will accomplish these goals, with the GT500's MacPherson-strut front suspension and three-link rear suspension, which locates a solid rear axle.

Although conventional wisdom says the antiquated rear-end design is in conflict with building a state-of-the-art performance car, Thai-Tang says it isn't a problem. "In terms of performance, the Mustang's solid-rear-axle setup in the GT500 has been proven in race competition this year with a Mustang FR500C taking the checkered flag at the season-opening Grand-Am Cup race at Daytona," he points out.

The GT500's suspension is lower than a Mustang GT's, and uses recalibrated front and rear shocks, upgraded front and rear stabilizer bars and revised spring rates. The key to the GT500's three-link architecture, according to Ford, is the Panhard rod that provides precise control over the rear axle. It's centrally located and fastened to the upper front end of the differential, while trailing arms are located near each end of the axle.

It all rolls on 19-by-9.5-inch wheels wrapped in massive tires measuring 255/45ZR19. And the brakes are equally impressive. The Brembo front rotors are 14 inches in diameter, cross-drilled and clamped by four-piston aluminum calipers. In back, Thai-Tang and his crew chose 13-inch rotors and four-piston calipers.

A New Performance Era?
According to Ford, the GT500 show car, which debuted at the New York auto show in March, points to a brand-new era in Ford Motor Company's performance future.

A company press release said, "By bringing together Carroll Shelby and Ford SVT, the company's commitment to performance becomes as powerful as at any time in its history — including the famed 'Total Performance' days of the 1960s."

Think about that for a second. Let it sink in. Take a knee if you have to.
At least in 2007 it was SRA

SOLD! 2002 Sonic Blue GT, 5 Speed
Mods: MGW Short Throw Shifter, Mach 1 Brakes
Hypercoated Saleens, Eibach Pro-Kit, Bilstein shocks/struts, Borla Exhaust, Steeda Wing, 03 Cobra hood, Cobra mirrors, 03 Cobra Front Bumper, smoked fogs/headlights, 03 Cobra side skirts, Grill Delete, Mach C-pillars
jimmy_beaner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 01:23 PM   #5
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Send a message via AIM to PureVenom Send a message via MSN to PureVenom Send a message via Yahoo to PureVenom

No, they don't. Shelby tagged his name on the car after the design was all done to make some money and to "validate" the shelby tax so everyone could over pay for the car.
Old 05-03-2010, 01:50 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV

Yea basically 93-04 had the Mustang Cobra (ALL cobras are SVT Cobras, SVT is the group who designed it)

Then there was no cobra until 07 when Ford Partnered with Shelby to allow them to put Shelby all over the 07 Cobra and its been that way since. Its still made by SVT, they did all the work. Ford just puts the name Shelby on it to sell them. I like the idea but I think its played out, Ford should have only done like 500 a year or something, now they are EVERYWHERE.

You get the Shelby GT, Shelby GT500, Shelby GT500KR, Shelby SuperSnake, Shelby GT350 and I am sure others... milking it for all they can and the upcharge is ASTOUNDING.... (20k for a shelby KR hood... haha)

but... Shelby Automotive is Bankrupt for those that didnt know. Mr Shelby had done tons of great things for Charity and in the car industry, but I am not so sure the current ownership has those ideals in mind.
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 04:54 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin

I personally like hearing "Ford Mustang SVT Cobra" aheh eh...(I like the 93-04 cobras better)

12 Black GT500 SVT PP l VMP TVS l JLT123 l O/R X l 28x11.50Rx15 M/T Street R's l BMR Suspension l Recaros

03 Sonic Blue 3.8 / 17 Magnetic Fusion Sport 2.7 EB
sonicpony03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 11:26 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois

The Shelby GT is really just a re badged GT/CS package. Nothing really that special.
SVTCOBRA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 08:51 AM   #9
Blogger
Blogger

Send a message via MSN to rickf73 Send a message via Skype™ to rickf73

I believe only the GT500 is SVT, if I am not mistaken the Shelby GT's are done by Shelby. Kinda like the KR's were done. They are Premium GT's that are sent to Shelby to upgrade.
rickf73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 11:06 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV

Yea, I you are right, only SVT is the GT500.. I mean the KR and the like ARE SVT cars with some crap shelby sticks on them extra thats not through ford~ the Shelby GT.. I am not sure about. I am betting its just a ford thing not shelby related as well.
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 07:14 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickf73 View Post
I believe only the GT500 is SVT, if I am not mistaken the Shelby GT's are done by Shelby. Kinda like the KR's were done. They are Premium GT's that are sent to Shelby to upgrade.
Even though there might be some dislike thrown around towards the Shelbys and such (and I am guilty), your car is still *****in and I'd love to have it

12 Black GT500 SVT PP l VMP TVS l JLT123 l O/R X l 28x11.50Rx15 M/T Street R's l BMR Suspension l Recaros

03 Sonic Blue 3.8 / 17 Magnetic Fusion Sport 2.7 EB
sonicpony03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 09:35 PM   #12
Blogger
Blogger

Send a message via MSN to rickf73 Send a message via Skype™ to rickf73

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonicpony03 View Post
Even though there might be some dislike thrown around towards the Shelbys and such (and I am guilty), your car is still *****in and I'd love to have it
No problem.

I will be the first to admit that Shelby's are overpriced because of the name. The Shelby name meant nothing to me, what I wanted was a GT500. It was a life long dream of mine. The fact that mine was done by Ford SVT, the people that actually designed and built the car, and not Shelby is fine with me. Even the Shelby GT owners dis the GT500 because it has never been touched by "Shelby".

Believe me the car is much more than I can handle and I am not afraid to admit that. I bought the car to have fun and not for my ego. It is the first car I have owned that is a true sport's car. I do like it when people tell me how nice the car is but I sometimes hate to drive it because I know someone is going to try to make race them. I have never done it and don't want to do something stupid. Doing something above your talent level is just plain stupid.

If you spend any time on the Shelby web site you will see how bad they treat there customers and the complaints before they delete them and ban the posters.

p.s.

What I meant earlier was that the KR's are GT500's sent to Shelby to make them KR's. The Shelby's I believe are Mustang GT's sent to Shelby to be upgraded. It is possible they are completed by Ford but I don't believe so.
rickf73 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion