OEM Alarm System draining battery - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 05-18-2010, 04:19 PM   #1

OEM Alarm System draining battery

Ok, please disregard my post regrading electrical problem with brakes, The main culprit is the oem alarm system. Still don't know what to do to keep it from draining battery though. anyone have any ideas or fixes for this.
2001 convertible mustang
Duggan6990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-18-2010, 10:10 PM   #2
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: California
Send a message via AIM to MonteCitan
Re: OEM Alarm System draining battery

How do you know this in itself is the issue? What sort of shape is the battery in?

What is the amperage draw on the battery with the key off?
Old 05-19-2010, 12:16 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
Send a message via AIM to OsirisGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonteCitan View Post
How do you know this in itself is the issue? What sort of shape is the battery in?

What is the amperage draw on the battery with the key off?
Ditto.

Can we have some confirmation on this, that is how did you figure out it was the alarm? Knowing this will help us avoid redundant troubleshooting.
Quote:
Originally Posted by stangaroo View Post
OsirisGuy is right
2002 Mustang GT

BBK CAI - Flowmaster Catbacks - Pro 5.0 Shifter
OsirisGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-19-2010, 09:50 AM   #4

battery is brand new, Pulse from alarm system matches test light pulse. Did not check amperage draw, however, when I apply brakes the test light really lights up. This could be just the draw from having an alarm system. Will go for amperage check today. What would be acceptable for an alarm system draw? On the testing, I hooked up the positive terminal and put a test light on the negative. I started pulling fuses until it went out. When the alarm fuse was pulled it caused the light to go out. On a side note this is my daughters car, who is "working" on getting her license. Therefore it sits for a couple of weeks at a time till I pull it out and drive it around to recharge battery and circulate fluids.
Duggan6990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 10:52 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
Send a message via AIM to OsirisGuy

The head lights and tail lights are tied into the alarm. When you hit either the lock or unlock button any thing tied into the light wiring will be triggered as well. Just an example; if you added additional lights to the car and spliced them into your head light wires, these lights would go on with your head lights, or if you lock/unlock the car the lights these lights will flash as well as with the head lights.

The light flashing are just parking lights, when you step on the brake there should be more light, to distinguish between the parking/running lights and the brake lights (think of when you are behind a car at night and the change in light brightness when the car ahead brakes).

Don't quote me but I believe the amperage draw for the alarm is ~0.25-0.5 A.

When you say you attached "...positive...negative..." what were the leads attached to? The alarm always has some power to it, and if you test a ground or positive of the car and the power or ground for the alarm you'll get a light. Pulling the fuse cuts the power before the alarm so the light should go out.

It is possible that having the car sit weeks at a time will drain the battery, no matter what, but I do no now how long the battery should last when the car just sits.

If your daughter is waiting and the car doesn't need to be moved too much you can just pull the alarm fuse until the car is ready to be driven, however the key fob won't work while the fuse is removed so you will have to use the key. Of course you also have to be certain it really is the alarm causing problems.
Quote:
Originally Posted by stangaroo View Post
OsirisGuy is right
2002 Mustang GT

BBK CAI - Flowmaster Catbacks - Pro 5.0 Shifter
OsirisGuy is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion