Torn on the Sixxer - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 06-05-2010, 06:46 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Torn on the Sixxer

So Ive pretty much stopped modding the car until I figure out my next move. Its a 2002 v6 automatic. I love the car and the mods that I have done to it. However, there are some problems with it and other opportunities for me. The problems with the car are as follows:

Dents along the door and rear quarter panel
Several scratches throughout the car
Scoops do not line up evenly
Fenders do not sit straight after a minor accident
Leak from seal by crank pulley
Minor leak from tranny
Squeking by driver side front spring

For me to keep this as a dependable and good looking DD, Id want to fix all of this. However, that'd cost more than the worth of the car.

So here are my options:
Fix my car and wait till I graduate to buy a Brand New Shelby
Wait till next summer and look at an 07-08 Shelby for 30-35k
At any time, buy a used GT

For all but the first option, I'd have to get rid of the 6er for lack of storage. That means Id get about 3-3.5k I'd guess. It's my first car so it has a lot of sentimental value. What should I do? Anyone else that started with a v6 and moved on, do you regret not keeping it?
tigerfan2771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-05-2010, 06:49 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Re: Torn on the Sixxer

Also, if I stay with my current company, I'd have to go to a 6 month training in Wisconsin. That would mean 6 months of a brand new or slightly used Shelby sitting at my house with no garage and losing value with each day that passes.
Old 06-06-2010, 12:57 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin

Well...interesting situation my friend. It all depends on how attached you are to the sixxer. I'm too attached to mine, if I wasn't it would've been gone for a v8 a long time ago. I've decided to keep it and slowly work on it as I buy a solid winter vehicle, then buy the v8 mustang afterwards. I chose practicality over desire.

If you have to train in Wisconsin for 6 months, do you need a vehicle? If so, I'd buy a cheap 4x4 dd to get you thru that period, then buy the v8 mustang. Wisconsin winters are no fun and you really don't want to drive mustangs in them. Snow is one thing, ice is an even bigger *****.

12 Black GT500 SVT PP l VMP TVS l JLT123 l O/R X l 28x11.50Rx15 M/T Street R's l BMR Suspension l Recaros

03 Sonic Blue 3.8 / 17 Magnetic Fusion Sport 2.7 EB
sonicpony03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-06-2010, 03:17 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina

patience is a virtue homie. save up and buy one badass car

2004 3.9L v6
Black on black on black

MAC Cold Air Intake, 4.10 gears + T-Lok, SCT Tuner, dual H piped flowmaster super 40's
blackonblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 08:03 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Well I definately know I want the Shelby. It will be a 6 mile commute to work so the Shelby could be a DD if necessary. However, I'm leaning hard towards a used 07-08 torch red with white stripes with under 10k miles. I'd do all the bolt-ons and be done. Spend around 35k total and have it paid off within a year of having it.

I just don't know what to do about my car. I spent a lot of time, but I'd like to have another v8 as a DD. I was thinking about swapping one in, but it seems like too much trouble. And every time I look at it, the small things just get under my skin and I just want to get rid of it and start fresh. Ive always been a perfectionist, but when the money just isnt there, its hard.
Old 06-06-2010, 09:13 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

I'd like to know how the hell you're going to pay off a 35k car within a year!

That'd be impressive...engineering is a strong field but damn! lol

12 Black GT500 SVT PP l VMP TVS l JLT123 l O/R X l 28x11.50Rx15 M/T Street R's l BMR Suspension l Recaros

Old 06-06-2010, 09:32 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

yeah im surprised, what kind of engineering? i know with civil, the economy is killin it

2004 3.9L v6
Black on black on black

MAC Cold Air Intake, 4.10 gears + T-Lok, SCT Tuner, dual H piped flowmaster super 40's
Old 06-06-2010, 09:34 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonicpony03 View Post
I'd like to know how the hell you're going to pay off a 35k car within a year!

That'd be impressive...engineering is a strong field but damn! lol
Lol. I dont like to go into financial details, but I'm not keen on the idea of a 5 year loan on any car. That 6 month training session I spoke of pays 50k and as far as I know they pay your expenses for the stay. Plus Ill be saving my money from here on out now that Im making some good change. Im just lucky my parents made me save so much when I was younger. They made me put like half of all I made into a savings account. Sucked then, but Im better off.

Oh, and if all else fails, my gf is in nursing school so she will be making more than me. It would make up for all the dates, jewelry, flowers, etc. Doesnt seem all that fair that they make more but oh well.
Old 06-06-2010, 09:36 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackonblack View Post
yeah im surprised, what kind of engineering? i know with civil, the economy is killin it
Im doing mechanical. I figure I will start off around 60-70k or so. They're a great company and I get along well with them. They have some guys making around 200k or so, but that'll be way in the future.

Civil is a complete bull**** major anyway. No offense if thats what youre taking.
Old 06-06-2010, 09:40 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

nope im not an engineer. 60-70k your 1st year? very nice

2004 3.9L v6
Black on black on black

Old 06-06-2010, 09:49 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackonblack View Post
nope im not an engineer. 60-70k your 1st year? very nice
Well that's about the average. They pay the interns about 45k, so they'd have to bump that up a little more when you graduate.
Old 06-07-2010, 08:34 AM   #12
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV

save up and do what you want after you get a good job so that you will have a very small loan on the car or no loan at all. I saved and after college purchased what I wanted, feels great to not have a HUGE car loan to worry about so you can enjoy the car without the massive payment associated with em.

The 07 Shelby GT500s should be coming down in price soon, its about time I would wait until they are in the high 20s for a low mileage condition one in perfect shape.

If I was you I would buy a daily driver beater for bad weather, work and keep the new car in a garage etc (at LEAST under a car cover) and only drive it when I felt like it. This keeps them nice and clean and its much more fun to drive a car when its clean and looking good vs every day to work and in the rain etc.
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 04:08 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectorV View Post
save up and do what you want after you get a good job so that you will have a very small loan on the car or no loan at all. I saved and after college purchased what I wanted, feels great to not have a HUGE car loan to worry about so you can enjoy the car without the massive payment associated with em.

The 07 Shelby GT500s should be coming down in price soon, its about time I would wait until they are in the high 20s for a low mileage condition one in perfect shape.

If I was you I would buy a daily driver beater for bad weather, work and keep the new car in a garage etc (at LEAST under a car cover) and only drive it when I felt like it. This keeps them nice and clean and its much more fun to drive a car when its clean and looking good vs every day to work and in the rain etc.
Well that is what I am getting at. I dont know what to do with my car. I dont believe it is even worth selling, but every time I look at it, the small things just start to get under my skin and i no longer want the car.
Old 06-07-2010, 09:45 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerfan2771 View Post
Well that is what I am getting at. I dont know what to do with my car. I dont believe it is even worth selling, but every time I look at it, the small things just start to get under my skin and i no longer want the car.
Well now, you shouldn't feel that way towards the poor sixxer...it's not the car's fault

Old 06-07-2010, 10:44 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Well now, you shouldn't feel that way towards the poor sixxer...it's not the car's fault
Youre totally right. But its just embarrassing sometimes. I'd love to get it all fixed but that would be a ton of money. I was also thinking about using it as a project car, but I'd much rather work on an 88 notchback. I guess I'll wait till the engine or tranny go out and then just part the car. Its a shame because I absolutely love the look of the car minus the small things.
Old 06-08-2010, 05:05 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerfan2771 View Post
Youre totally right. But its just embarrassing sometimes. I'd love to get it all fixed but that would be a ton of money. I was also thinking about using it as a project car, but I'd much rather work on an 88 notchback. I guess I'll wait till the engine or tranny go out and then just part the car. Its a shame because I absolutely love the look of the car minus the small things.
Well if you want to part her out early I'll take the side scoops

Old 06-08-2010, 05:10 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Well if you want to part her out early I'll take the side scoops
Nah I dont believe so yet. Seeing as the old ones are pretty beat up. You can find a set for cheap these days though.
Old 06-08-2010, 05:18 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Not in sonic blue though...better chance of coming across a pregnant nun than a pair of SB side scoops...I keep telling jimmy_beaner he should give his to me and get bullitt scoops, but I haven't convinced him yet, lol.

Old 06-08-2010, 05:20 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Not in sonic blue though...better chance of coming across a pregnant nun than a pair of SB side scoops...I keep telling jimmy_beaner he should give his to me and get bullitt scoops, but I haven't convinced him yet, lol.
Well paint shouldnt cost much. Scoops are around $100 used and paint around $100-$150.
Old 06-08-2010, 05:27 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Yah I priced it all out at my body shop...just have to do it, lol. Just bought some smoked headlights like yours and have a tint appt later in june...so no scoops for a little while

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion