GT500 ROUSHcharger - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 10-23-2006, 06:33 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina
GT500 ROUSHcharger

:chin: I saw on Autoblog.com where Roush has made a supercharger for the new Ford Pig, (I mean Shelby GT500). Apparently it is capable of producing up to 700hp. Know I'm not claiming to be some big GT500 expert, but from what I've read on several forums discussing the car is that Ford put weaker Rods in the GT500's than they did the Terminators, and that after 600RWHP the GT500 engines become time bombs. I'm pretty sure that you can make 600HP with the stock blower on the GT500. So if all this is true then why would you buy a aftermarket blower for this car unless you were planning on rebuilding the motor, or buying an aftermarket Short-Block.

By the way I always thought that I-Beam Rods(which the GT500's have) were stronger than H-Beam Rods(which the Terminator's have). :dunno:

GT500 owners can push 700 HP with new ROUSHcharger - Autoblog
JROC is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-23-2006, 06:40 PM   #2
Regular

Region: Tennessee
Re: GT500 ROUSHcharger

H Beam are stronger (also heavier) than I Beams.

I have I Beams in my shortblock.

Reddit
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2006, 10:17 PM   #3
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: California
Send a message via AIM to Thomas91169

anything forged is gonna take alot of beating. when you go forged, regardless of H or I beam, it becomes a matter of how much you are willing to push it and how good of a tune you are running.

saying xxx setup is capible of xxx amount of power before it gives out before actually seeing someone at those power levels is pure speculation.

SVT built the motor if i recall. it should be as strong, if not stronger, than the Terminators 4.6. its possible they used I beams instead of H due to it being a 5.4L.

1998 Eclipse GST Spyder - 14b turbo | 3" Catback | Evo8 BoV | 170fwhp if that

2003 Redfire Cobra - 448whp/435wtq - Sold
Thomas91169 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-23-2006, 10:58 PM   #4
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: New Jersey
Send a message via AIM to DarkShadow

You all laugh about it's weight, but I bet with a blower swap and a few other things, one day we will see a full street trim, 2 tons and all, cruise down a 1/4 in just under 10 secs with MAYBE 10k in it.
Old 10-23-2006, 11:22 PM   #5
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkShadow View Post
You all laugh about it's weight, but I bet with a blower swap and a few other things, one day we will see a full street trim, 2 tons and all, cruise down a 1/4 in just under 10 secs with MAYBE 10k in it.
thats alot of money for just 10's.

besides, weight had nothing to do with this thread.

Old 10-23-2006, 11:33 PM   #6
Legacy Member
Legacy

Send a message via AIM to DarkShadow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas91169 View Post
thats alot of money for just 10's.

besides, weight had nothing to do with this thread.
It would have come up eventually, it always does.
Old 10-23-2006, 11:44 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas91169 View Post
anything forged is gonna take alot of beating. when you go forged, regardless of H or I beam, it becomes a matter of how much you are willing to push it and how good of a tune you are running.

saying xxx setup is capible of xxx amount of power before it gives out before actually seeing someone at those power levels is pure speculation.

SVT built the motor if i recall. it should be as strong, if not stronger, than the Terminators 4.6. its possible they used I beams instead of H due to it being a 5.4L.
Boss I'm going by what the GT500 owners on SVTPerformance.com are saying. I don't know how they came to the conclussion of 600HP, (some are saying 650) but thats what their saying. I know that Terminator have their problems too, and even they won't make HP are easy as the GT500 motor.
Old 10-24-2006, 12:08 AM   #8
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JROC View Post
Boss I'm going by what the GT500 owners on SVTPerformance.com are saying. I don't know how they came to the conclussion of 600HP, (some are saying 650) but thats what their saying. I know that Terminator have their problems too, and even they won't make HP are easy as the GT500 motor.
yeah no im not doubting you at all.

though i remember a time where everyone thought the limit was 600hp on the 03/04's, just cause no maker at that time had a motor that was tested as strong, but time only told of the true potential of the motors. now were seeing well past that with whipple/kb's or turbo'd versions.

the GT500 will make a little bit more power mod for mod than the termie, due to the fact its a 5.4L. IMO its about dam time the Stang gets some increase in displacement, i dont understand fords reasoning for living in the 4.6L world for so long while chevy pushes ahead with 5.7 and 6.2L of fury in their production vehicles. they both make horsepower just as easy as eachother, IE add boost, add fuel, tune, get results. just the 5.4L's ratio will be just a bit better, as it should be. technology should advance as time goes by, and newer versions should always be able to make better results than their predecessors.

Old 10-24-2006, 12:45 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkShadow View Post
The weight issue, I can't resist ranting about it.

The GT500 was built with the Corvette as its main competion. I know a lot of people say it wasn't, but it was. And the only performance area that it comes close to matching a base Corvette in is acceleration, and after 100MPH the Vette starts to leave the Shelby, and if you start adding stuff like Heads, Cam, Procharger, N2O, etc, to the Corvette it's always going to leave the Shelby. The car weights 400lbs more than a Mustang GT, and thats not right. This is now Fords top performance vechical, and Ford should have said "No we're not going to let this car be this big. We're going to think of ways to keep the car from being so heavy, and make it more balanced." Instead Ford took the cheap route and built a 500HP motor,(which was probably pretty easy for them to make) and put it in a GT with some Brembo's, Shelby badges, and a new front end, and then slapped $18,000 to its base price.

I know I ***** about this car alot, but it really aggravates bad when I think about what this car could have been, and what it is. I was all on the Shelby GT500 bandwagon when Ford was hyping it up, and then when it came out it was a huge let down to me. I use to think 3000 GT's were POS for being so big, and this car easily has them beat. Just the facts that the car weighs so much, and that you need a lot more HP than other cars to beat them is extremely unattractive to me.
Old 10-24-2006, 01:03 AM   #10
Legacy Member
Legacy

Send a message via AIM to meteorachick

well its about time they did something right to the shelby...roush = sexy

Modified 2004 V6
meteorachick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2006, 08:07 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV

ford doesnt care about how heavy it is, they care about profit, they knew it would sell just fine with the name only. The new Z06 had to be a mean SOB due to the base model was pretty nasty (pretty good comparison to the GT500) and they knew it needed to show what GM could do and its extremly nice... the GT500 could have been fords way of saying look what we can do instead its look we can make XXXX money for using the name on every shelby we sell so lets just do that.

It seems 600rwhp/tq is the current limit to be safe this may change but its what it currently resides.

The question you posed about why put a blower on a car that is capable of making far more hp than the engine can take.. there are a couple reasons. The first is that the blower is most likely (should be) more efficient meaning it makes more power on the same level of boost as before and second is the cool factor im sure there are other reasons~
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2006, 11:57 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectorV View Post
ford doesnt care about how heavy it is, they care about profit, they knew it would sell just fine with the name only. The new Z06 had to be a mean SOB due to the base model was pretty nasty (pretty good comparison to the GT500) and they knew it needed to show what GM could do and its extremly nice... the GT500 could have been fords way of saying look what we can do instead its look we can make XXXX money for using the name on every shelby we sell so lets just do that.
:thumbs2: Exactly.

What I think is rediculous is if you go on ebay, and look up GT500's you'll see the dealers comparing them to Z06's, and Vipers, like their in the same class because they have 500HP, and then selling them for about the same prices as the Vipers, and Z06's.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion