Thoughts on buying used - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 06-17-2010, 07:34 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Thoughts on buying used

I just wanted to get others opinion on buying a used car. The car in mind is an 07 or 08 Shelby GT500. I see them in the low 30's on SVT Performance quite frequently. I still have another full year left and a few classes the year after that. My plan is to work 20-25hrs or so that final year.

So my question is: For a car like a shelby that I would keep many many years down the road, is there any reason to buy a new one? I really dont like the new style that much and those cars will be old news in the next few years anyway. Now, I wouldnt buy one with mods or with over 10k miles for added security. However, my dad keeps telling me just to buy a new gt and doesnt understand how much wasted money I would end up tossing at that. Also, if I bought a used one I could take that 20k I saved and basically do every mod that I want to the car, which is upgrading it to Super Snake status.

To sum it all up: Does it take anything away from buying a car used that you plan on keeping for the rest of your life?
tigerfan2771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-17-2010, 08:41 PM   #2
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Mississippi
Send a message via AIM to lowflyn
Re: Thoughts on buying used

I don't think it does. I bought my 03 cobra in 2007, was very picky about what I wanted and have been happy since. I have no desire to move into another vehicle of that caliber.
Our's:
90 7up vert - new project-07 DSG Focus -DD
lowflyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 09:05 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowflyn View Post
I don't think it does. I bought my 03 cobra in 2007, was very picky about what I wanted and have been happy since. I have no desire to move into another vehicle of that caliber.
Ive just always had the image of picking up that brand new car from the dealer right as it rolls off the truck. It seems hard to find that perfect used car especially since I will more than likely have to travel to pick it up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-17-2010, 09:51 PM   #4
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerfan2771 View Post
Ive just always had the image of picking up that brand new car from the dealer right as it rolls off the truck. It seems hard to find that perfect used car especially since I will more than likely have to travel to pick it up.
Don't be scared to travel for the right car. I drove 6 hours to get this one from North Alabama when I was living in Jackson, MS.

Friend of mine is heading out from Memphis to Virginia saturday to pick up an 03 Cobra. We did a road trip last year to Dallas from Memphis for a TBSS. He did the same trip to Texas later than year for a GTO.

Look around, good deals can be found in Texas for some reason...

I know of one car and only one car I would consider buying new and that's probably not going to happen. 50th anniversary Mustang.
Our's:
Old 06-17-2010, 10:29 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin

Buying used isn't a bad thing at all...even if you plan on keeping it for a very long time.

If anything, it is better to buy used, then you won't have the huge hole in your stomach as you drive off the lot in a brand new car and instantly lose 5-10% of its worth, lol.

I think every car enthusiast's dream is to be watching their new ride be backed off the truck and prepped for them...but to most, that'll remain a dream.

12 Black GT500 SVT PP l VMP TVS l JLT123 l O/R X l 28x11.50Rx15 M/T Street R's l BMR Suspension l Recaros

03 Sonic Blue 3.8 / 17 Magnetic Fusion Sport 2.7 EB
sonicpony03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 08:10 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV

It is hard to find a perfect super low mileage Mustang, but you are in luck as the Shebly and other Cobras are the best taken care of generally. They do exists in near perfect condition, never rained it, super low miles etc etc you just have to wait on the right one to pop up.

The issue is price, you pay more but its worth it. Dont buy one if you cant keep it nice though... if you plan to DD the car no need to buy a perfect one as it will not remain that way.

Only buy a perfect one if you can keep it in a garage and only drive it when you wish (not raining etc) but I see no issue in buying a used car, I got mine in 06 3 years old.
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 09:56 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Send a message via Yahoo to Xerc

Well I am all against buying a used car as I really don't want someone's problem. People will lie, cheat, and do almost anything to sell a car for the right price.

But if you do insist on buying a used car... Get a carfax.. Well worth it!
Xerc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 10:26 PM   #8
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xerc View Post
Well I am all against buying a used car as I really don't want someone's problem. People will lie, cheat, and do almost anything to sell a car for the right price.

But if you do insist on buying a used car... Get a carfax.. Well worth it!
You can pull a carfax on my old car and it shows no accidents. It was in 3 front end collisions with airbags going off once.

A good inspection with paperwork to back up any modifications is a must for a car like this. The thing that sold me on my 03 was the thick folder of history that came with the car, including the picture of the hood before being repainted. I also tracked down the first owner (I'm owner 3) and she was very nice and explained why she bought and sold the car.

It's also not a bad idea to dig up any and all information on the person you might be buying from. By searching their name on different sites you can pull up all sorts of problem and question threads that may lead to more things being discovered. It's how I found out my 03 had an overheating issue in 05 after the 2nd owner bought it. Once I confronted the previous owner she explained the situation and had paperwork to back up the fix.
Our's:
Old 06-18-2010, 10:47 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowflyn View Post
You can pull a carfax on my old car and it shows no accidents. It was in 3 front end collisions with airbags going off once.

A good inspection with paperwork to back up any modifications is a must for a car like this. The thing that sold me on my 03 was the thick folder of history that came with the car, including the picture of the hood before being repainted. I also tracked down the first owner (I'm owner 3) and she was very nice and explained why she bought and sold the car.

It's also not a bad idea to dig up any and all information on the person you might be buying from. By searching their name on different sites you can pull up all sorts of problem and question threads that may lead to more things being discovered. It's how I found out my 03 had an overheating issue in 05 after the 2nd owner bought it. Once I confronted the previous owner she explained the situation and had paperwork to back up the fix.
Wow sounds like you did a ton of research. Im hoping to find an older gentleman who bought the car as a collector item and is now just trying to gain back some of that money after realizing his mistake. Definately dont wanna buy a shop car or one that already has a whipple or kenne bell. No telling what shape there in. And besides that takes all the fun out of modding by myself.
Old 06-18-2010, 10:53 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectorV View Post
It is hard to find a perfect super low mileage Mustang, but you are in luck as the Shebly and other Cobras are the best taken care of generally. They do exists in near perfect condition, never rained it, super low miles etc etc you just have to wait on the right one to pop up.

The issue is price, you pay more but its worth it. Dont buy one if you cant keep it nice though... if you plan to DD the car no need to buy a perfect one as it will not remain that way.

Only buy a perfect one if you can keep it in a garage and only drive it when you wish (not raining etc) but I see no issue in buying a used car, I got mine in 06 3 years old.
Yea that would be a potential problem. The shelby would stay in a garage at my apt, but we all know how jealous drunk college kids can be. I dont know what Id do if I walked out to it being keyed from front to back. And it would probably end up getting nicked up and what not.

Id also like to keep the sixxer as a dd, but I have no place to store it. Parents definately wont want it sitting at there house. Im sure my dad wouldnt mind me leaving the shelby behind though. I guess Ill just see how it goes. Im just ready for a new project after such a long disappointment with this one. Basically every mod me and Rob(Purevenom) DIDNT do was ****ed up. Gears, scoops, etc. It definately opened my eyes up to doing mods on my own and not letting some shop do it.
Old 06-19-2010, 01:53 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

My buddy is about to put his 03 cobra up for sale. Black on black coupe.

2006 Mustang GT lots of mods ex wife has it
1979 corvette stingray #'s matching 47K org. miles
1970Chevelle SS 454 big block Old School 500hp Sold
hottcobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 02:12 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by hottcobra View Post
My buddy is about to put his 03 cobra up for sale. Black on black coupe.
Sounds nice. Im still too attached to the 6 at this point though and my heart is really set on a gt500. Ive been wanting one ever since I saw the first pic of one. Im the type of person that changes his mind every 5 seconds so for me to like a car that long, Im best off getting what I really want.

But, how much is he looking for? And mileage?
Old 06-20-2010, 01:37 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

[QUOTE=tigerfan2771;

But, how much is he looking for? And mileage?[/QUOTE]

Don't know yet. And the mileage is low ( under 50K )

2006 Mustang GT lots of mods ex wife has it
1979 corvette stingray #'s matching 47K org. miles
1970Chevelle SS 454 big block Old School 500hp Sold
hottcobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 08:28 PM   #14
Legacy Member
Legacy

You can pick up an 03/04 cobra for a steal if you shop around...all about what you want though.
Our's:
Old 06-20-2010, 08:55 PM   #15

Region: South Carolina

I realize people will lie about a used car but if you have a car checked by a good mechanic prior to finalizing it will save a lot of heartache. I have only bought 2 brand new cars and I'm 49. My last car was a 2000 Suburban bought in 2002 with 58K miles and it now has over 200K with very few trips to the mechanic. I just bought (2 days ago) an '04 Roush with only 31K miles - my mechanic said it was one of the cleanest cars he had ever seen and he felt guilty for charging me $50 to check it out. Only thing wrong with it was a blown fuse for the dash lights. Keep looking for your dream car, have it checked out and pat yourself on the back for saving several thousand when the new one rolls off the truck depreciated.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	106_0951.JPG
Views:	61
Size:	1.14 MB
ID:	21896  
BetsyBootstrap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 12:22 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

If you are still looking for an '07 - '08 GT500, check to see of the TSB was done on the transmission. Alot of these had clutch problems that were fixed under warranty. I have been lucky with mine so far, as my car does not have any of the symptoms yet.

You also need to be aware that with these cars, they will infect you with a disease that will make you constantly mod them in search of even more of the acceleration addiction.

2008 GT500 Coupe with a few mods here and there
gtcpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 05:23 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtcpa View Post
If you are still looking for an '07 - '08 GT500, check to see of the TSB was done on the transmission. Alot of these had clutch problems that were fixed under warranty. I have been lucky with mine so far, as my car does not have any of the symptoms yet.

You also need to be aware that with these cars, they will infect you with a disease that will make you constantly mod them in search of even more of the acceleration addiction.
Yes I am aware of the clutch problems. And Ive spent more than enough on my v6 so I know about the mod bug. When I get the shelby though, I will do everything right the first time. I basically have all the mods picked out already. Yeah Ive been wanting one that bad
Old 06-21-2010, 06:45 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerfan2771 View Post
Yes I am aware of the clutch problems. And Ive spent more than enough on my v6 so I know about the mod bug. When I get the shelby though, I will do everything right the first time. I basically have all the mods picked out already. Yeah Ive been wanting one that bad
Well at least with the Shelby the money spent on the mods will be well spent...you will see some considerate gains from them, lol.

12 Black GT500 SVT PP l VMP TVS l JLT123 l O/R X l 28x11.50Rx15 M/T Street R's l BMR Suspension l Recaros

03 Sonic Blue 3.8 / 17 Magnetic Fusion Sport 2.7 EB
sonicpony03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 08:08 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonicpony03 View Post
Well at least with the Shelby the money spent on the mods will be well spent...you will see some considerate gains from them, lol.
Thats an understatement to say the least. 600rwhp with just bolt-ons. omfg.
Old 06-22-2010, 08:32 AM   #20
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

if you get a nice vehicle I think a garage is a MUST and on top of that if you can afford a side car for your daily driver duties thats the best scenario. That way you can drive the nice car to nice place where it wont get messed up only when its nice out (aka when you can enjoy driving it) and you keep the DD or all else.
Old 06-22-2010, 12:54 PM   #21

I have never owned a new vehicle before, so I can't tell you how much nicer it is...but I can say that as long as you are careful, you can find a very nice, and well cared for car. The only problem with buying any kind of used mustang, cobra, shelby, etc...they are almost always going to be abused. Not many people buy a V8 Mustang to just drive around very nice and calmly without racing or modding it.

I will say the new 5.0 GT's are well worth the money! They are just about as fast as a stock Shelby. My brother drove one a couple weeks ago, and went 12.7 @ 109 on the stock Pirelli's. Throw a turbo or blower on that thing, and it'll haul!
UPRDanielle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 04:57 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by UPRDanielle View Post
I have never owned a new vehicle before, so I can't tell you how much nicer it is...but I can say that as long as you are careful, you can find a very nice, and well cared for car. The only problem with buying any kind of used mustang, cobra, shelby, etc...they are almost always going to be abused. Not many people buy a V8 Mustang to just drive around very nice and calmly without racing or modding it.

I will say the new 5.0 GT's are well worth the money! They are just about as fast as a stock Shelby. My brother drove one a couple weeks ago, and went 12.7 @ 109 on the stock Pirelli's. Throw a turbo or blower on that thing, and it'll haul!
Yes but there's the problem with the new gt. How much boost can you toss at it? I cant see it being able to withstand 500rwhp very long and definately not 600-700rwhp. Not to mention it isnt a car I can see keeping down the road. It doesnt hold a special place like the shelby even though the shelbies are still in production. They need to stop making the damn things and move on.

And if there is a stock shelby with under 10k miles, it isnt very likely the car was abused all that much.
Old 06-22-2010, 05:25 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
if you get a nice vehicle I think a garage is a MUST and on top of that if you can afford a side car for your daily driver duties thats the best scenario. That way you can drive the nice car to nice place where it wont get messed up only when its nice out (aka when you can enjoy driving it) and you keep the DD or all else.
Damn Spec, youre killing me. I agree with you on both accounts. My plan is to move back with the parents or get an apt for a couple years and then build my house. So I wont have a garage for a while. I wont have room for another car at my house and especially since my dad is looking at getting a corvette or camaro in addition to his work truck.

I could use my car as a dd for a good while. It doesnt have too high of mileage and the tranny, engine, and rear are in good shape minus a front seal. So thats the good part. It does have serious handling problems as it almost swerved me off the interstate yesterday once it started raining. And yes i was driving cautiously. Hopefully it just needs new tires and an alignment.
Old 06-23-2010, 08:16 AM   #24
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

you can do a car cover~ but a garage is better. My first apartment had to have a garage somewhere, and thankfully it did. I guess you could put it in one of those self storages or something~ if you had to.
Old 06-23-2010, 08:25 AM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Send a message via Yahoo to Xerc

Quote:
you can do a car cover~ but a garage is better. My first apartment had to have a garage somewhere, and thankfully it did. I guess you could put it in one of those self storages or something~ if you had to.
I've done that before and it was brought to my attention that most places do not allow car storage, even if you get a space big enough. I had to read the contract a few times to find the "fine print" because my car got towed out of my garage, that I paid for, and almost got sold..

Gotta love how people find ways to screw ya! hahaha
Xerc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 08:45 AM   #26
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

well its not a storage just a car garage that you park a car in, defiantly read the fine print.. though thats odd.
Old 06-23-2010, 05:56 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Nah I wouldnt want to have to put the car in storage. I guess Ill just figure it out when I get closer to buying. I just want out of this v6 so damn bad.
Old 06-23-2010, 07:34 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Utah

If you can store it in apt storage shed, be careful because those places are almost always infested with rodents and bugs.
blue-saleen is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion