New Boss Engine - Page 2 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 12-07-2006, 07:56 PM   #36

Re: New Boss Engine

+1 I'm just drooling over the likelihood of an H/Boss '09 Mustang a 400-425HP NA motor in a fairly light stang will be a joy -- with a factory warranty!! can't wait
68fastback is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-08-2006, 01:07 AM   #37
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee

nor can the trees,light poles,telephone poles and ditches of america
Old 12-08-2006, 11:01 AM   #38

Why so negative?

I'm an old-timer, so it will be sheer driving pleasure for me -- no plans to hit anything <lol>

When I was in my teens/20s my '68 saw some crazy stunts, but those days are long gone. I'll enjoy the backroad twisties when I can, but driving it all all-out will be reserved for Limerock or Watkins Glenn (in upstate NY here).

Hopefully anyone who can afford a new Boss will be old enough and sensible enough to enjoy it safely -- hmmm, maybe there's where your comment has some merit <lol>

-Dan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-08-2006, 11:42 PM   #39
Registered Member
Regular

Not so nevegative just realistic and kinda kidding
Old 12-10-2006, 09:46 PM   #40

Yeah, I guess you're right -- one of the sad facts of fast cars is that someone will wrap 'em around a pole now and then.

Oh how I want an '09 Boss!
Old 12-25-2006, 02:45 PM   #41

Region: California

I just found this site and registered today. I am a ford tech and a wyotech instructor. As far as i can figure the Boss 302 crate engine is an updated version of the original boss 302. The new production Boss engines are 3valve sohc versions of the current car and truck modular motors. The upcoming production Boss 5.0 is a stroked 4.6 enginge and the 6.2 boss is a stroked 5.4 f150 engine. The v10 will probably be discontinued due to new fuel economy standards and the 4.6 will also be dropped for the 5.0 sohc 3valve engine.
cgardner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2006, 09:32 PM   #42

The Boss 302 crate is an updated/improved original Boss as you say. I think you are correct that the new (coming) Boss (formerly Hurricane) will be an SOHC (possibly a 2-valve in the trucks), but I doubt that the 5.8 will be a stroked 5.4 modular.

It is conceivable Ford could do a 5.0 as a stroked 4.6 mod in the interim (like the Saleen PJ -- dunno) but the 5.4 is as stroked as the modular motors will realistically go.

I think the new Boss (ne Hurricane) is an all-new motor with bore spacing roughly analygous to the 1960s FE-series and will likely debut in the F-series on '08 and, we hope, in a Boss Mustang in '09 as a 5.8 SOHC to take on the Camaro LS2 and then as a 6.2 (or 7.0L to take on the Challenger and Camaro LS7.

The bore spacing of the present modulars (3.55") has the displacement fairly tapped-out in the highly-undersquare 5.4. I imagine siamesed and cross-drilled cylinders (like in the new 363cid Boss 302 crate -- unrelated to the coming H/Boss) could conceivably push modular bore just a bit further to get to 5.8 with the present 5.4's crank, but that approach is not likely a realistic option for a production motor (as opposed to race applications), so I'm highly skeptical that either the 5.8 or 6.2 engines coming along would (or realistically could) be on the present modular base.

Sure is confusing, huh?

-Dan
Old 12-26-2006, 12:15 PM   #43
Registered Member
Regular

it will be odd having two different 302 Boss engines wait for the parts boy at your local auto parts store to mess that one up.I'm also thinking is will be a bored 4.6 same thing they are doing in the truck dept boreing the 6.0 to 6.4 and making some new changes in the heads and adding twin turbos but haveing the ablitly to keep up with the GM LS engines will be great I just hope it really happens and we dont get left in the dark again.
Old 12-29-2006, 12:42 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocknbronco View Post
it will be odd having two different 302 Boss engines wait for the parts boy at your local auto parts store to mess that one up.I'm also thinking is will be a bored 4.6 same thing they are doing in the truck dept boreing the 6.0 to 6.4 and making some new changes in the heads and adding twin turbos but haveing the ablitly to keep up with the GM LS engines will be great I just hope it really happens and we dont get left in the dark again.
The modular's bore is effectively maxed-out at 3.55" and the 4.6 and 5.4 are already at that bore. For a production engine (i.e. not siamesed cylinders and given that Ford seems to have nixed the GrandAm racer's spray-bore tech for production) a 5.0 modular would have to be via stroke.

There are already aftermarket forged pieces and a 5.0 stroker crank for the 4.6, but aside from racing aplications, I think 3.55" bore is the effective production limit for the present modular family.

The H/Boss, on the other hand, should be borable (I'm speculating now) to about 4.250"

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion