Not winter yet but... - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-07-2010, 05:16 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
Not winter yet but...

Thankfully it's still early and it's not winter yet, but of course it's always the inevitable! I've always kept mine garaged in the winter months, but always hated to! Anyone have any tips or advice on what you can do in the winter to make it driveable besides sandbags in the trunk and winter tires? Or should I just keep her locked up? Thanks!
mustang03ally is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-07-2010, 09:47 AM   #2
Loc: Austin,TX
Regular
Supporter

Region: Texas
Re: Not winter yet but...

Do they throw salt on the roads there? If so, keep her in the garage.
DDTCM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 09:47 AM   #3
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to MarkuzLS1

Most of us live in AL. We don't have to do anything.

I like turtles.
MarkuzLS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-07-2010, 10:50 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois

I live in the south suburbs of Chicago were we get some pretty good snow. I haven drive mine in winter at some pretty bad storms. Its not bad at all, granted my is a V6 automatic though. In the county I live in our village uses salt but as long as you clean the salt off the bottom often you will have no problem.
SVTCOBRA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 10:52 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

From what I've heard, they use salt and sometimes even sand to help treat the roads up here... both of which are probably not the best thing for underneath your car
Old 08-07-2010, 11:01 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Yeah they tend to speed up the rust and all that good stuff on cars and trucks. What I do is I take the car into my garage then I use a pressure washer on low pressure and clean the bottom. What I also do is when it get warmer in the winter like thirty or forty, I take it to a car wash that has jets that shoot up and clean under the car. Then I have to park the car somewhere and wipe the wet water from inside the doors and trunk so they don't freeze overnight.

Underneath my car is really clean considering Im the second owner and that it is driven is snow and salt.
Old 08-07-2010, 11:23 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

I know that having a rear-wheel drive definitely doesn't help either. Got any good tricks to keep from fish-tailing and getting around safer?
Old 08-07-2010, 01:46 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

I never had any problems fishtailing (unless I was messing around). But then again when I drive in the winter I switch my habits. I drive slower (depending on how much snow there is on the roads) I increase my braking distance along with my following distance. Depending on how much snow is on the roads the car will lag when it accelerates from a stop, don't push (don't mash the go pedal) the car let it move with little pressure from the accelerator pedal.

One big thing is don't let other drivers intimidate you in the snow if you drive slower in snow. Just because they have AWD,4X4, or even FWD doesn't mean they can't spin out too. Trust me, this guy in a 4X4 F150 didnt like how slow I was going with a good two inches of snow on the ground. He past me and sped up and tried to get in front of me, then bam he spun out and whacked into a light pole. So just go at your own speed.

Ive never used sandbags or snow tires so I can't comment on them. This will be my fourth winter with the stang without snow tires and I can't complain.
Old 08-07-2010, 05:46 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin

I reccomend buyin a cheap winter car, its a load off ur mind know that if ya wreck it, no biggie, but if that wreck ur stang u might be upset
iwannagofast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 03:37 AM   #10

Region: Connecticut
Send a message via Yahoo to mrperple

Personally I dont drive mine in the snow. SUV is a must up here in New England. I do drive mine in the winter though when there is no snow on the ground, still gets salt on it. Wash it periodically in the brushless car wash. No way brushes are touching my stang in the winter w/ all that sand & salt to scratch my paint. Joys of having black, but wouldn't trade it for anything in the spring, summer & fall months.

V6 pony package, cosmetic mods just about done, performance mods on the way.:D
mrperple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 05:18 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

i agree with that ^^
iwannagofast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 10:31 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTCOBRA View Post
Yeah they tend to speed up the rust and all that good stuff on cars and trucks. What I do is I take the car into my garage then I use a pressure washer on low pressure and clean the bottom. What I also do is when it get warmer in the winter like thirty or forty, I take it to a car wash that has jets that shoot up and clean under the car. Then I have to park the car somewhere and wipe the wet water from inside the doors and trunk so they don't freeze overnight.

Underneath my car is really clean considering Im the second owner and that it is driven is snow and salt.
lmfao this reminds me last winter, i hadnt washed my car or anything but i guess from the temp change cuz it went from 50 the night before to like 10 the next morning when i went out to my stang to defrost it the damn doors were froze shut..... both of them... soooo i tried the trunk and it opened. so them im like well **** the only way in is through the trunk.... haha so i had to crawl into my trunk and into the car(im 6ft tall and 200 pounds, a fairly big kid) so you could imagine how this went. haha just my random story i thought id share about my winter experiences with my stang.
1996v6stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 05:48 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

If you can help it, don't drive it in winter. You never know when you will get a huge amount of snow or what the weather conditions will do at the last minute. Heavy snow and hidden ice are your worst enemies.
I drove mine for a year and a half while in high school and it wasn't horrible, but I'd rather have had a winter beater.
Having an open differential is both a good and bad thing. Good since you won't spin out everytime you turn like with a tlok, bad if you get stuck and need traction.

You want to know I what I do to handle withdrawals, honestly...I play Need4Speed Pro Street on Xbox 360, lol. It has an 03 GT in it, and is about the closest thing to driving a mustang without actually driving one.

12 Black GT500 SVT PP l VMP TVS l JLT123 l O/R X l 28x11.50Rx15 M/T Street R's l BMR Suspension l Recaros

03 Sonic Blue 3.8 / 17 Magnetic Fusion Sport 2.7 EB
sonicpony03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 02:23 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonicpony03 View Post
If you can help it, don't drive it in winter. You never know when you will get a huge amount of snow or what the weather conditions will do at the last minute. Heavy snow and hidden ice are your worst enemies.
I drove mine for a year and a half while in high school and it wasn't horrible, but I'd rather have had a winter beater.
Having an open differential is both a good and bad thing. Good since you won't spin out everytime you turn like with a tlok, bad if you get stuck and need traction.

You want to know I what I do to handle withdrawals, honestly...I play Need4Speed Pro Street on Xbox 360, lol. It has an 03 GT in it, and is about the closest thing to driving a mustang without actually driving one.
Forza Motorsports 3 is a great one as well
Old 08-11-2010, 05:40 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Yeah, I can definitely see how Need 4 Speed and others like it help get through the winter. Plus when seeing some of the things you can do to those cars on those games, it makes you even more eager with ideas when you can finally bring her out of the garage and start doing modifying again!
Old 08-11-2010, 09:30 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustang03ally View Post
Yeah, I can definitely see how Need 4 Speed and others like it help get through the winter. Plus when seeing some of the things you can do to those cars on those games, it makes you even more eager with ideas when you can finally bring her out of the garage and start doing modifying again!
Yah I know, I've spent some time throwing black accents on just to see how it'd look...works pretty nicely imo.

12 Black GT500 SVT PP l VMP TVS l JLT123 l O/R X l 28x11.50Rx15 M/T Street R's l BMR Suspension l Recaros

03 Sonic Blue 3.8 / 17 Magnetic Fusion Sport 2.7 EB
sonicpony03 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion