Supercharged or Turbocharged? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-13-2010, 11:51 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
Supercharged or Turbocharged?

So, I'm gonna be putting in a K&N cai soon to add a little to my exhaust and hp performance, but I'm looking for something more to add. Would it be better to go with a Turbocharger or a Supercharger for my 03 V6?
mustang03ally is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-13-2010, 11:58 AM   #2
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Send a message via AIM to PureVenom Send a message via MSN to PureVenom Send a message via Yahoo to PureVenom
Re: Supercharged or Turbocharged?

You're going to get more power out of the turbo...however it may cost a bit more as turbo kits for V6's are not as wide spread as super chargers.
Old 08-13-2010, 02:31 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV

no one make sa turbo kit currently for the v6 that I know of, it will be easier to do a supercharger. The end results will be around 280-300rwhp at around 10-11psi for a centri blower, the roots blower (m112 oem 03/04 cobra blower) they have ataptor kits for works good, its just not intercooled which I dont like.

You are looking at 3-7k depending on how you go and how much tuning costs and install etc.... so that could go towards a down payment on something else if you are interested in that just something to think about.
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-13-2010, 02:37 PM   #4
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

Send a message via AIM to PureVenom Send a message via MSN to PureVenom Send a message via Yahoo to PureVenom

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectorV View Post
no one make sa turbo kit currently for the v6
Exactly...which is too bad because you get more gains from it.
Old 08-13-2010, 05:16 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Wow, it definitely doesn't sound like it's quite as worth it as I thought it was. Putting several thousand into just Supercharging when I could put $ down on a newer v8 or something is a way better option after thinking about it. Might be better off just continuing doing tweaks and upgrades that don't end up costing more than the car's value is worth! What other kinds of things help gain more power?
Old 08-13-2010, 05:20 PM   #6
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustang03ally View Post
Wow, it definitely doesn't sound like it's quite as worth it as I thought it was. Putting several thousand into just Supercharging when I could put $ down on a newer v8 or something is a way better option after thinking about it. Might be better off just continuing doing tweaks and upgrades that don't end up costing more than the car's value is worth! What other kinds of things help gain more power?
WIthout forced induction or nitrous, you won't really see a lot of actual power gains out of your v6. You could get a custom dyno tune, 4.10 gears, and do the minor bolt on stuff like cold air intake, under drive pulley, and things like that....and pick up a few horse power...but you're probably going to max out around 200 rwhp and that's with a killer tune, long tube headers, ported heads, ported intake, and all other bolt ons.

You first statement is good thinking though....do the minor bolt ons to make it feel peppy, then put the bulk of the money away for a v8 of some sort...an 03/04 cobra can be had for much less than a new gt...and be much quicker.
Old 08-13-2010, 05:28 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Sounds good Between still doing some minor bodywork, and now moving more into performance upgrades, I'll be satisfied with what I've been able to do with my first Mustang.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion