Any ideas would be helpful! - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion

Join Mustang Evolution Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 09-05-2010, 07:04 AM   #1
Any ideas would be helpful!

Hey guys, Thought I'd leave a post here too and see if anyone has an idea. Need some help here. Just bought my first mustang two weeks ago. Shes a '02 sixer convertable with 38k miles. Always stored with a cover over her and indoors to boot so she looks great still. Didn't notice any issues during the test drive other than you feel every bump in the road through the suspension.

So the day after I bought it, I noticed that while accelerating through 30-45 mph it started jerking/surging. Felt like a really bad transmission shutter. Mechanic swore up and down that it was something simple so I replaced plugs and wires with the premium stuff, swapped the air filter and fuel filter, and had my mechanic clean the throttle body and air flow sensor. That helped it to an extent (took it from about a 10 to a 7 on a 0-10 scale). She idled much better though.

My mechanic still swore it wasn't trany related. He checked some engine codes (though no lights on) and found the EGR valve pressure sensor was out of spec. He swapped that out and it seemed to fix the issue! I was thrilled! Drove it around that night and it was fine. Then I went and put gas in it (speedway 87 octane), got a block down the road and BAM it starts it all up again. It started shuttering really hard during acceleration at the speeds listed above. My mechanic was stumped. It sounded like he had lost his patience for the issue and didn't want me to bring it back.

So now I'm trying to figure out what to try next. The mechanic said that driving it wont hurt it, just annoy the hell outta me. I put 5 gallons of 93 octane (BP brand) in it last night and it seems to have calmed the issue for the time being.

Any ideas? And what grade of gas do most people run in the V6 models?

Thanks for all your help fellas!

Paintbb84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 12:21 PM   #2
Registered Member
Region: Michigan
Re: Any ideas would be helpful!

Hmm, I run the standard 87 octane gas and haven't run into any problems like that. After replacing the filters and cleaning the throttle body and replacing the sensor, it sounds like it keeps going back to a fuel system problem. Bad fuel injectors maybe, fuel pump?
Did the person you bought it from ever mention any problems before? If not I'd definitely find out.
I would also take it to another mechanic to be sure. They may find something that your other guy just didn't.
Good luck.

mustang03ally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 10:31 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus
Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV

as said in the other thread, check the coil packs a missfire can feel like a trans slip
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 11:03 AM   #4
Region: Texas

I had an '04 sixer convertible I bought used w/13k. Drove it for (almost) 5 years and traded it on my '10 w/76k. The only issue I had was trying to accelerate. I had to press the gas pedal just so or it seemed like I was driving with only 4 cylinders...I always used 87 octane - per specs. I was always told by mechanics I know not to put higher in or I could find my engine "pinging" if I went back to 87. I agree w/alley though, maybe another mechanic would have a different take on the problem. Had to do that myself w/my '10's problem.
ivoryowner is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion