Government ban on performance!!! - Page 3 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 09-23-2010, 06:59 PM   #71
Road Trip!

Region: Kentucky
Re: Government ban on performance!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent View Post
I seriously doubt that
It's true!
Straublittleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-23-2010, 07:01 PM   #72
Road Trip!

they don't push it though.
Old 09-23-2010, 07:19 PM   #73
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Straublittleman View Post
It's true!
I'd even challenge that one, and I know nothing about KY. What's your source? Used to be an urban legend a few years back about 600+hp vehicles all over, but no one could ever name a source. Was supposedly just 'known'.

Murph's Glassback!
Murph is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-23-2010, 07:22 PM   #74
Regular

Region: Tennessee

There was this guy that left a hook in a car door one time too

Reddit
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 07:38 PM   #75
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
There was this guy that left a hook in a car door one time too
Was he from Nantucket?

Murph's Glassback!
Old 09-23-2010, 07:39 PM   #76
Road Trip!

Ok I was WRONG on the horsepower ban on cars it was boats I heard about Sorry for getting your panties in a bunch but I knew I heard about something that had a horsepower ban.
Old 09-23-2010, 07:40 PM   #77
Moderator Emeritus
Regular

Region: Florida
Send a message via AIM to Lalayla Send a message via MSN to Lalayla Send a message via Skype™ to Lalayla

Quote:
I like how the economy is failing, we bomb a country every time they look at us wrong, we get taxed to death, our senators are corrupt and we are worried if we will be able to ride around without cats.
+1

Layla - December 2010 Mustang of the Month
Lalayla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 07:44 PM   #78
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Sorry for getting your panties in a bunch
No bunching here, I go commando.

Murph's Glassback!
Old 09-23-2010, 07:45 PM   #79
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murph View Post
No bunching here, I go commando.
Old 09-24-2010, 08:46 AM   #80
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV

Quote:
I like how the economy is failing, we bomb a country every time they look at us wrong, we get taxed to death, our senators are corrupt and we are worried if we will be able to ride around without cats.

+10000000

... we have priorities that should come first... they are ignoring those and thus look where it takes us. All these idiots with their own dumb agendas doing stupid crap is not helping.
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 10:17 AM   #81
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectorV View Post
+10000000

... we have priorities that should come first... they are ignoring those and thus look where it takes us. All these idiots with their own dumb agendas doing stupid crap is not helping.
DEY TK AR JoBSS!
SaleenFiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 11:29 AM   #82
Registered Member
Regular

Send a message via Yahoo to 1ijack

Quote:
That is how it's aways going to be, They already have law preventing you from modding your car like emission BS and loud exhaust. In the state of KY any vehicle that produces 500 hp+ is not supposed to be on the road.
Where did you find that at? I would like to see that law because when i registered my vehicle they never asked me if my vehicle had over 500 hp. I see people all the time driving around with drag radials on and that should be a give away.

But if they Shelby GT500 comes from the factory at over that than how are they legally allowed to sell them here. I am not calling you a liar, but I would like to see that for my own knowlledge....

The Mustang Mafia
"Join the family, if you dare"
www.themustangmafia.com
1ijack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 12:05 PM   #83
Blogger
Blogger

Send a message via MSN to rickf73 Send a message via Skype™ to rickf73

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ijack View Post
Where did you find that at? I would like to see that law because when i registered my vehicle they never asked me if my vehicle had over 500 hp. I see people all the time driving around with drag radials on and that should be a give away.

But if they Shelby GT500 comes from the factory at over that than how are they legally allowed to sell them here. I am not calling you a liar, but I would like to see that for my own knowlledge....
They are for off-road use only.
rickf73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 06:44 PM   #84
Road Trip!

Quote:

If you read my statement above I said I was WRONG about the horsepower ban on cars it was boats I heard about.
Old 09-24-2010, 07:06 PM   #85
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickf73 View Post
They are for off-road use only.
Old 09-24-2010, 10:15 PM   #86
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I heard about.
that's the problem, people repeat what they hear and not what they know, what you hear means nothing, it's called hearsay
Tape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 11:01 PM   #87
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tape View Post
that's the problem, people repeat what they hear and not what they know, what you hear means nothing, it's called hearsay
Yeh but some Dumdass's don't admit when they're wrong either! At least I admit that I was wrong on that part and looked up the laws to see if it was true and to an extent it is just not with cars yet. If they ban high horsepower boats than who say's they won't ban high horsepower cars.
Old 09-25-2010, 12:19 AM   #88
Registered Member
Regular

cars don't kill people, people kill people with cars. They will ban guns before the ban high HP cars. JMO
Old 09-25-2010, 01:11 AM   #89
Registered Member
Regular

Send a message via Yahoo to 1ijack

I got the thread BEFORE reading the next page sorry....

The Mustang Mafia
"Join the family, if you dare"
www.themustangmafia.com
1ijack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 01:09 PM   #90
Road Trip!

Quote:
I got the thread BEFORE reading the next page sorry....
Old 09-25-2010, 11:29 PM   #91
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Mississippi
Send a message via AIM to lowflyn

It's already a federal crime to remove the catalytic converters from ANY vehicle that came equipped with them from the factory. Are we going to get upset when they decide to actually enforce this law?

It's not that they are wanting to ban performance as much as they are wanting to push auto manufacturers to make more efficient cars. If the manufacturers can make an efficient car that makes 800 hp then more power to them. We have the technology (I.E. ecoboost + coyote) it's just a matter of putting the two together.

Hell, our focus is quicker than a stock fox body 5.0 and gets 40 mpg on the interstate. It's amazing what can be done when these companies are told to think outside the normal box.
Our's:
90 7up vert - new project-07 DSG Focus -DD
lowflyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 11:45 PM   #92
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Mississippi
Send a message via AIM to lowflyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by upton7 View Post
I just picked up my muscle mustangs and fast ford magazine tonight and on the cover was "Warning can goverment officials ban performance fight back we show you how"

I noticed this on a couple of chevy and hot rod magazines too. What this magazine in particular stated the basic laws in affect currently : window tint, exhaust, and nitrous oxide.

What it also stated was that it is happening in some states that your "eyesore" project out of the way behind your garage on your property can simply be towed away by the government, and that engine swaps from older vehicles could also be illegal. Other concerns are headlamp and taillamp bulbs and H.I.D.'s and changing the rubber compound of tires.
I'll break this down a little:

Window Tint - this is already regulated at a state level. You're acting like this is a new thing coming out. It's regulated for the safety of officers and to be honest I have no issues with it. All of our vehicles now comply with these laws and it's not like I'm dying driving down the road.

Exhaust - several states also have laws regarding exhaust. There are decibel limits in place and some even limit what you can and can't change regarding aftermarket systems. Several states even have laws currently on the books making it illegal to in any way modify the factory exhaust system on a vehicle.

Nitrous - once again, there are already state laws on the books regarding nitrous. As a matter of fact it is now illegal to have nitrous hooked up in any street vehicle in the state of MS. Maybe I'm getting old but I really don't want every 16 year old spraying nitrous next to me at the red light. There are safe ways to run a system and the majority of people are safe with it. Just like anything else, however, there are the small minority that are stupid and cause issues for everyone else.

"Eyesores" - most local municipalities and cities have laws preventing inoperable vehicles from sitting on your property currently. Honestly, I don't want to live in a neighborhood with 4 cars stacked around the front yard of the house down the street that are slowly rotting into the ground. If you have an issue with this build a shop and move your project in there.

Engine swaps - I'm pretty sure this is to prevent someone with a late model vehicle from swapping to a non emission compliant system. As stated in my previous post the government is going to push for more efficiently powered vehicles and I support this decision. I also highly doubt this will effect your 88 chevy truck as it will be judged based on the emissions regulations of the vehicle's manufactured date.

Headlights - I'm of the opinion if you want to throw HID bulbs into your non HID housings you should be shot and then hung for the issues you are causing other drivers on the road. If you want to properly install housings that are made for HID or projector lenses then more power to you. And..once again..there are currently federal laws in place covering lighting and the legality of it. Ever heard of lights having to be DOT legal? Yupp...the government already has control over this.

Tires - Once again, already government control over what tires we can legally run on our cars. This is also controlled under the DOT legal stamp of approval. And...once again, I really would rather not be cruising beside some moron on slicks on the interstate in a rain storm.

Bottom line, the government already regulates these areas whether it be federal, state, or at the local level. If you really have such a problem with these lobby your representatives to see if you can change the current laws already on the books. I highly doubt you'll have much luck.
Our's:
90 7up vert - new project-07 DSG Focus -DD
lowflyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 11:06 AM   #93
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowflyn View Post

Window Tint - this is already regulated at a state level. You're acting like this is a new thing coming out. It's regulated for the safety of officers and to be honest I have no issues with it. All of our vehicles now comply with these laws and it's not like I'm dying driving down the road.

Exhaust - several states also have laws regarding exhaust. There are decibel limits in place and some even limit what you can and can't change regarding aftermarket systems. Several states even have laws currently on the books making it illegal to in any way modify the factory exhaust system on a vehicle.

Nitrous - once again, there are already state laws on the books regarding nitrous. As a matter of fact it is now illegal to have nitrous hooked up in any street vehicle in the state of MS. Maybe I'm getting old but I really don't want every 16 year old spraying nitrous next to me at the red light. There are safe ways to run a system and the majority of people are safe with it. Just like anything else, however, there are the small minority that are stupid and cause issues for everyone else.

"Eyesores" - most local municipalities and cities have laws preventing inoperable vehicles from sitting on your property currently. Honestly, I don't want to live in a neighborhood with 4 cars stacked around the front yard of the house down the street that are slowly rotting into the ground. If you have an issue with this build a shop and move your project in there.

Engine swaps - I'm pretty sure this is to prevent someone with a late model vehicle from swapping to a non emission compliant system. As stated in my previous post the government is going to push for more efficiently powered vehicles and I support this decision. I also highly doubt this will effect your 88 chevy truck as it will be judged based on the emissions regulations of the vehicle's manufactured date.

Headlights - I'm of the opinion if you want to throw HID bulbs into your non HID housings you should be shot and then hung for the issues you are causing other drivers on the road. If you want to properly install housings that are made for HID or projector lenses then more power to you. And..once again..there are currently federal laws in place covering lighting and the legality of it. Ever heard of lights having to be DOT legal? Yupp...the government already has control over this.

Tires - Once again, already government control over what tires we can legally run on our cars. This is also controlled under the DOT legal stamp of approval. And...once again, I really would rather not be cruising beside some moron on slicks on the interstate in a rain storm.

Bottom line, the government already regulates these areas whether it be federal, state, or at the local level. If you really have such a problem with these lobby your representatives to see if you can change the current laws already on the books. I highly doubt you'll have much luck.

I flipped through the section in my magazine but after reading the titles of each section I already had my feelings based exactly how you explained that.
Old 09-26-2010, 09:24 PM   #94
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin

Derka, durrrr....

12 Black GT500 SVT PP l VMP TVS l JLT123 l O/R X l 28x11.50Rx15 M/T Street R's l BMR Suspension l Recaros

03 Sonic Blue 3.8 / 17 Magnetic Fusion Sport 2.7 EB
sonicpony03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 09:25 PM   #95
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tape View Post
God dammit where did you get that smiley...I've had so many perfect opportunities to slip that smiley in and was unable to do so.

12 Black GT500 SVT PP l VMP TVS l JLT123 l O/R X l 28x11.50Rx15 M/T Street R's l BMR Suspension l Recaros

03 Sonic Blue 3.8 / 17 Magnetic Fusion Sport 2.7 EB
sonicpony03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 10:09 PM   #96
Registered Member
Regular

^^^^ well now you can just copy it and paste it when you need it^^^^
Old 09-26-2010, 10:17 PM   #97
Registered Member
Regular

Old 09-28-2010, 11:58 PM   #98
Staff
Blogger
Staff

Region: Georgia
Send a message via Skype™ to 99ford

All good points are brought up here. I do my fair share of research before voting or endorsing a candidate. I then make sure I vote in the primary, and take action to get that person elected. Unfortunately the past two times the person ends up loosing. I really like John Monds a libertarian here in Georgia. It's like Dumber( Barnes) and Dumber (Deal) Politics start at the local level. What is really scary is some of these people who complain about Washington are the same ones who don't vote.
Old 09-29-2010, 08:17 PM   #99
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowflyn View Post

87 not 88
upton7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 08:19 PM   #100
Regular

I love it when someone writes that much and the only thing someone else comes back with is a stupid correction.

Reddit
Old 09-29-2010, 09:57 PM   #101
Staff
Blogger
Staff

Region: Georgia
Send a message via Skype™ to 99ford

Quote:
I love it when someone writes that much and the only thing someone else comes back with is a stupid correction.
Old 09-29-2010, 10:30 PM   #102
Road Trip!

Dur tork r joorbs
Old 09-29-2010, 11:09 PM   #103
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois

Quote:
Because you like the person who wrote alot and hate me? Or because I really didn't care what was said and didn't even agree with it.
upton7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 11:16 PM   #104
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by upton7 View Post
Because you like the person who wrote alot and hate me? Or because I really didn't care what was said and didn't even agree with it.
Are you a woman?

Reddit
Old 09-29-2010, 11:31 PM   #105
Regular

If you don't care or don't agree then don't bother to respond to him and correct him on some mundane **** because guess what, no one cares its an 87 and not an 88. If you are going to respond to someone that put that much effort into responding to you don't be a smartass.

Reddit

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion