I smoked a '97 Viper GTS - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 10-27-2003, 10:20 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Iowa
Send a message via AIM to Horse Send a message via Yahoo to Horse
I smoked a '97 Viper GTS

I **** you not, I beat a viper GTS. And a Vette... and a WRX, all at the same autocross track.

It was cold so none of the people running slicks were getting very good traction. The guy in the viper just couldn't drive the thing, plain and simple. A real waste if you ask me. Anyway I beat him by about 6 seconds I think. It was a LOT, I know that. The Vette I beat by 2 or 3. I was 4th place in the Street tire class and won STX class. Man that was an awesome way to end the autocross season. I'm totally stoked for next season.
4.2L , CAI, BBK 65MM throttle body, 30lb injectors, SSM ported intakes, FLEX 1/2" spacer, RPM big valve heads, Comp roller rockers and cam, ASP-underdrive pulley, GT rear swaybar, & Quad Shocks, Full MM Coilover conversion, 17" Grey Torque Thrust wheels, FMS Aluminum driveshaft 8.8 rear w/ 3.73 gears, Tri-Ax Shorthrow shifter & SPEC stage II clutch w/ aluminum flywheel
Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-27-2003, 11:01 AM   #2
Zim
You want to **** me?
Legacy

Region: Missouri
i have a buddy that was there in a green 240SX... said he talked to you a bit. I woulda come out there but i had to drive back to kansas yesterday He told me he did pretty well though...

I like toys
Zim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2003, 09:58 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Send a message via AIM to .:DarkEntity:.
Nice...

I want to go to AutoX one of these days, and see what my suspension can do
.:DarkEntity:. is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-13-2003, 02:05 PM   #4

Rental Mustang racing

This is my first post.
Let me introduce myself, I own a SVO Mustang and I am in the process of finding myself a used 1999 and up V6 Mustang for a daily driver and a weekend autocrosser. I have been racing autocross for 4 years now and this year raced a 97 SS Camaro in the class ESP. I'm a Ford guy but could not turn down the opportunity to race a nationally competitive car. I finished 3rd overall in the SCCA ProSolo and 5th in the Nationals.

The reason I want a V6 Mustang is that it seems to be a great car for everyday use and me in a rental car finished 4th overall in my local club last weekend. What a blast!!

Any thoughts?
Rich
Old 11-13-2003, 02:12 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Welcome to the board!

Thoughts?

Your car > my car.
MaestroSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2003, 06:49 AM   #6
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: South Carolina
Send a message via AIM to Danger Dude
Re: Rental Mustang racing

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConeSVO
This is my first post.
Let me introduce myself, I own a SVO Mustang and I am in the process of finding myself a used 1999 and up V6 Mustang for a daily driver and a weekend autocrosser. I have been racing autocross for 4 years now and this year raced a 97 SS Camaro in the class ESP. I'm a Ford guy but could not turn down the opportunity to race a nationally competitive car. I finished 3rd overall in the SCCA ProSolo and 5th in the Nationals.

The reason I want a V6 Mustang is that it seems to be a great car for everyday use and me in a rental car finished 4th overall in my local club last weekend. What a blast!!

Any thoughts?
Rich

Welcome to V6stangs Glad to have you here!!! It is nice to have SVO owners here. When they came out I took one for a test drive. That is a fun car. Do you have alot of suspension improvements on the SVO to be Autocrossing it.
Old 11-14-2003, 08:58 AM   #7

Thanks!
I did just about everything you can do to still be in ESP. It has all poly bushings, springs, new Konis, tower brace, K-member bar. The only thing left to do is a panhard bar. The problem is that it has been race for so long that the body is really flexible. If I could put frame connectors on it that would help but it is not legal in ESP. A roll cage is legal but that would be pretty expensive.

After going to the Solo 2 nationals I reallize that a SVO will never be competitive in ESP and I want to race in a Stock class to not have to spend so much to win. GS seems to be a good class for the V6 Mustang. We will see next year!

Rich
Old 11-14-2003, 12:41 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

I'm pretty sure only 98 and below are GS, 99 and up are CS and in with the SVT Focus. That's why i'm running STX in mine.
4.2L , CAI, BBK 65MM throttle body, 30lb injectors, SSM ported intakes, FLEX 1/2" spacer, RPM big valve heads, Comp roller rockers and cam, ASP-underdrive pulley, GT rear swaybar, & Quad Shocks, Full MM Coilover conversion, 17" Grey Torque Thrust wheels, FMS Aluminum driveshaft 8.8 rear w/ 3.73 gears, Tri-Ax Shorthrow shifter & SPEC stage II clutch w/ aluminum flywheel
Old 11-14-2003, 12:50 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Who would think after all the "Mustang's handle like tanks" type comments that you would be doing autocross so well. Show them they're wrong! Props to you Horse!
MaestroSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2003, 01:08 PM   #10

http://www.moutons.org/sccasolo/Lists/2003/stockc.html#GS Follow this link for the class listings. It lists all V6 and 4 Cyl turbo Mustangs. Also includes SVO, I think that that would be THE car in GS but it would be hard to find one that was in "NEW" condition. GS also includes V6 Camaros. There was a guy from I think Oklahoma running one nationally a few years back and did well. Camaros are heavier than a Mustang but have better camber loss than Mustangs.

Mustangs do handle like tanks. If you mean that the understeer like pigs. If you do a front alighnment with toe out and as much negative camber as possible this helps. If you look a the other cars in GS you will notice that most are front wheel drive, talk about power understeer!!!!

STX has a .795 PAX index, GS has a .781. If you do the math on a 60 second run you would have to go 1.75 seconds faster in a STX car to get the same points as a GS car. That's huge in autocross. Of course this means no mods in GS.

Rich
Old 11-15-2003, 02:36 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV
there is SUCH A huge after market for the mustagns and since teh v8 suspension parts work on the v6 adn teh v6 has better weight/handling set up its a good choice for daily driving and for autox, not to hard to make them handle good.
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2003, 05:08 PM   #12

hey, im also new here(not v6s, I leark at 3.8 ), and just went to my first autox event last sunday.

A STOCK v6 stang would be infact GS, I know this becasue I spent forever tryign to figure out what class I would be in. But stock, is so limited.

That means no
-CAI
-only cat-back exhuast(no prob there)
-no adding of a rear sway bar(not 100% casue it is a option on a v8 )
-no bigger rim(unless mabye its a a gt sized rim, again not 100%)
-very limited on tires with stock rim

STX seems to be the way to go for a lite mod v6, but then your up against wrx, impreza, and integras.

Not to bash against the v6, becasue i have one and love it. im not sure its the ideal autox car. stock v6 suspension is well..... I hjave lowered mine and rear sway bar. That helped a lot, but puts me into the STX class.

Horse ur runnin STX not becasue you would be in CS, but becasue your mods take you out of GS.
'98 Cobra Rims, 245/45 Dunlops, Mach1 Chin Spoiler, GT Takeoff Swaybar, Eibach Pro Kit, 20% Tint, eBay Cold Air intake, Kenwood 4022 Headunit, Tri-ax shifter, True Dual Exhuast w/ Spintech Pro Streets
JoeR. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2003, 10:19 AM   #13
Legacy Member
Legacy

Send a message via AIM to Rellik Send a message via Yahoo to Rellik
The Autocross Track is the only track which you could have beaten those cars.

But it must be nice to know that you can beat them if you have/want to
Rellik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2003, 04:46 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Hmm, I was told that the 99 and up were CS. weird. Acctually my mods take me to ESP, the STX is another option and it way better than runnign against comp T/As Firehawks. and 03 cobras. STX is just fine for me.
Old 01-08-2004, 12:05 AM   #15
Dom
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
Send a message via AIM to Dom
Quote:
I **** you not, I beat a viper GTS. And a Vette... and a WRX, all at the same autocross track.

It was cold so none of the people running slicks were getting very good traction. The guy in the viper just couldn't drive the thing, plain and simple. A real waste if you ask me. Anyway I beat him by about 6 seconds I think. It was a LOT, I know that. The Vette I beat by 2 or 3. I was 4th place in the Street tire class and won STX class. Man that was an awesome way to end the autocross season. I'm totally stoked for next season.
Old 02-15-2004, 10:47 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

how can i race in these autocross races?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion