Opinions on car please? :) - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 01-02-2011, 02:10 PM   #1
Moderator Emeritus
Regular

Region: Florida
Send a message via AIM to Lalayla Send a message via MSN to Lalayla Send a message via Skype™ to Lalayla
There is a 2008 White GT with cowl hood and hood pins, Magnaflow exhaust with 60000 miles up at my local Toyota dealership. It grabs my attn every time I drive by. They are asking $18k.

I love my Sonic Blue sixxer and I'm very attached to my car. I won't be able to get a project car like I have wanted if I trade in.

What do you guys think?

Layla - December 2010 Mustang of the Month
Lalayla is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-02-2011, 02:28 PM   #2
Loc: Austin,TX
Regular
Supporter

Region: Texas
Re: Opinions on car please? :)

Step up to the plate and get a V8. But only do it on your price and payment terms.$18k is a little high for 60k miles IMO. Do your research so you can let them know that you know what's out there and how much they are going for.

Important part:
Tell them, "I understand what you are doing and that you are here to make a profit but tell me why I should buy from you when I could buy from X lot down the street and get a lower mile car for a better price"

By doing this you are holding the cards and you are making them answer your questions.Becareful and tell them that you are not going to "impulse buy" just because they offer you a deal that seems great to them.

Good luck and do not rush it........BOOYAKASHA!
DDTCM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 02:59 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Massachusetts

When I bought my 2007 GT 5 months ago It was $16,995 with 28000miles, There was a mint white with blue stripes nest to it with only 18000 miles next to mine for $18,995 no accidents and like new condition. That 2008 white gt you have yours eyes on is wayyyy over priced, unless it has a blower attached to it. Check Kelly blue book, NADA, or edmunds.com for price rates before you buy.
MUSPOR911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-02-2011, 03:09 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus
Regular

Send a message via AIM to Lalayla Send a message via MSN to Lalayla Send a message via Skype™ to Lalayla
Quote:
Originally Posted by DDTCM
Step up to the plate and get a V8. But only do it on your price and payment terms.$18k is a little high for 60k miles IMO. Do your research so you can let them know that you know what's out there and how much they are going for.

Important part:
Tell them, "I understand what you are doing and that you are here to make a profit but tell me why I should buy from you when I could buy from X lot down the street and get a lower mile car for a better price"

By doing this you are holding the cards and you are making them answer your questions.Becareful and tell them that you are not going to "impulse buy" just because they offer you a deal that seems great to them.

Good luck and do not rush it........BOOYAKASHA!
Thanks! Booyakasha!
I definitely thought the price was way too much so I know I can talk him down some. I only inquired over the phone so far.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUSPOR911
When I bought my 2007 GT 5 months ago It was $16,995 with 28000miles, There was a mint white with blue stripes nest to it with only 18000 miles next to mine for $18,995 no accidents and like new condition. That 2008 white gt you have yours eyes on is wayyyy over priced, unless it has a blower attached to it. Check Kelly blue book, NADA, or edmunds.com for price rates before you buy.
I knew it was a little high so I would not buy it if they didn't come down on the price. I'll check KBB.

Thanks guys

Old 01-02-2011, 03:43 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalayla View Post
There is a 2008 White GT with cowl hood and hood pins, Magnaflow exhaust with 60000 miles up at my local Toyota dealership. It grabs my attn every time I drive by. They are asking $18k.

I love my Sonic Blue sixxer and I'm very attached to my car. I won't be able to get a project car like I have wanted if I trade in.

What do you guys think?
Also Lalayla, the 2010s with the same 4.6L motor are dropping quickly, in my area there is a silver conv. 2010 v6 though, for 18K. You should enjoy your hot *** looking v6 for a couple more years and then trade her in for a 2010, or even better 2011 gt which should be in the low twenties by then.
Old 01-02-2011, 04:49 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus
Regular

That is true.
I would really like a 2003 SB Cobra so I may just wait and see what happens and do more research and not settle. If I'm getting a V8, I should get the one I have my heart set on and just keep on searching.

That white GT is damn pretty, though. I know I would love it but... Idk.

I hate being so indecisive.

Old 01-02-2011, 05:22 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
That is true.
I would really like a 2003 SB Cobra so I may just wait and see what happens and do more research and not settle. If I'm getting a V8, I should get the one I have my heart set on and just keep on searching.

That white GT is damn pretty, though. I know I would love it but... Idk.

I hate being so indecisive.
Good call btw, I remember years ago I really drooled over a yellow 2003 cobra with the IRS and never got one plus between us I honestly like that body style the best of all mustangs even the new 2010s and 2011s. Plus a friend of mind told me that engine with 4 valves and forged internals have no issues with seeing 900hp if modded that high. However the Ford tech working on my car now has a mach 1 and at 700 or so hp he is replacing a few pistons.
Old 01-02-2011, 05:37 PM   #8

Region: California

This is coming from a former car salesman. That price is way too high. When buying a used car always low ball 'em, the worst they can say is no. Many used cars you see on the lot were purchased from auction, very low prices, very high profit. NEVER mention your car as a trade in 'til you have made a final agreement on the price of the purchase.

I don't know about your area, but around here there are always 'Stangs for sale. Tell 'em you're not big on the color or whatever. Just remember that salesman is just a peon working for you, if they dont like the result out comes the floor manager. Pushover, stand your ground. If you don't like that hassle, don't go to the dealership. Internet sales is much easier. Take an ad in or show them a craigslist, cars.com, etc. printout.

Finally, do the research on your car if you trade it in. KBB will show you a private sale and trade in value, go for the private sale price, once again all they can say is no.

Wish I lived closer, I love helping my friends screw dealerships on cars.
tc95050 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 05:55 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by tc95050 View Post
This is coming from a former car salesman. That price is way too high. When buying a used car always low ball 'em, the worst they can say is no. Many used cars you see on the lot were purchased from auction, very low prices, very high profit. NEVER mention your car as a trade in 'til you have made a final agreement on the price of the purchase.

I don't know about your area, but around here there are always 'Stangs for sale. Tell 'em you're not big on the color or whatever. Just remember that salesman is just a peon working for you, if they dont like the result out comes the floor manager. Pushover, stand your ground. If you don't like that hassle, don't go to the dealership. Internet sales is much easier. Take an ad in or show them a craigslist, cars.com, etc. printout.

Finally, do the research on your car if you trade it in. KBB will show you a private sale and trade in value, go for the private sale price, once again all they can say is no.

Wish I lived closer, I love helping my friends screw dealerships on cars.
tc95050 can I be your frined LOL. A dealership wanted to sell me s 2011gt cs for 37k and offered me a 10k trade in for my mint 2007gt with 38000 miles, so mint the interior still smells like a new car don't ask me why it just does. I however did not get approved and am glad. Dealerships in Mass are always trying to sell optioned out premium gts and always tells me oh we only get higher premium mustangs gts and it is hard to get a base model with just a v8 and a stick, bull if you ask me. Also is it bad to tell them that you work for a company that pays you a high salary, it seems like they push the highest apr and monthly payment at me whenever I do.
Old 01-02-2011, 05:59 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin

Yah, 18k is definitely way too high for that car...hell, you can find a decent terminator for 18k...and that's a way better car (performance wise) than an 08 3v with exhaust.

If you really love the car then definitely get the price where you want it...as said, worst case, the dealership says no.

Also, if you decided to trade your car in...don't let the dealership low ball you on it...used cars are hot right now and I've been getting calls by a couple local Ford dealerships' out of house contract sales pitchers trying to get my v6 on the lot because of low miles...so do all your homework before stepping into the dealership.

12 Black GT500 SVT PP l VMP TVS l JLT123 l O/R X l 28x11.50Rx15 M/T Street R's l BMR Suspension l Recaros

03 Sonic Blue 3.8 / 17 Magnetic Fusion Sport 2.7 EB
sonicpony03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 06:08 PM   #11
A.K.A. Baby-D!

Region: Louisiana
I totally agree. Way over priced. Mach 1s are going for 13-14 in good condition with decent miles. And as mentioned, cobras can be picked up for around 18k.
Previous:
2004 V6--my first pony
1988 GT--July 2010 MOTM
04TRV6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 06:26 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Send a message via AIM to LSUstang

I picked up my 04 Mach 1 for 15k w/ 39,000 miles on it a few months ago. The interior is perfect and it runs like a stallion.

-2004 Mach 1 "Natasha"- JL Audio W6 w/ custom box, 8000K HIDs, Sequential signals, StangHi tune, Borla Stingers with catted X, deck lid & lower valence, C&L intake package, H&R Super Sports
-2001 White Vert V6- Sold
LSUstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 06:42 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUSPOR911 View Post
tc95050 can I be your frined LOL. A dealership wanted to sell me s 2011gt cs for 37k and offered me a 10k trade in for my mint 2007gt with 38000 miles, so mint the interior still smells like a new car don't ask me why it just does. I however did not get approved and am glad. Dealerships in Mass are always trying to sell optioned out premium gts and always tells me oh we only get higher premium mustangs gts and it is hard to get a base model with just a v8 and a stick, bull if you ask me. Also is it bad to tell them that you work for a company that pays you a high salary, it seems like they push the highest apr and monthly payment at me whenever I do.
lol.

Trick with the loans, get one before you go in. If you have access to a credit union, use it. If you are looking to change banks, go to a credit union. Credit unions are hurting right now due to the economy so are willing to take customers from just about everywhere. Low interest rates at dealerships are very difficult to get.

I don't remember exactly how he did it but the guy a the Ford dealership I went to got me into the showroom and sat me down. Started the whole four square BS. Asked where I worked, I said McDonalds, I don't, but he really does not need to know. I decided to humor him and waste his time. I know, I'm a jerk. Asked what I wanted my monthly payment to be, no payment, cash. What I wanted for my trade-in, won't trade-in, sell it on my own. It was the end of the month so they had already knocked 5k off and said they couldn't go any lower, BS, show me the invoice. The price on the invoice still has a "pillow," the dealership will make money. Plus extra $ for units sold, etc.

I got the 2011 GT Premium w/ Brembo package down to under $30k. Then, "So how much you gonna give me for my WRX?" Oh the look on his face, priceless. Said $10k, so I walked.

Probably is good not to mention how much you make, none of their business, that's between you and your bank.

Best bet, wait til the end of the month, preferably a weekend, bad weather always helps and not too long before the dealership closes. Don't talk to the Salesperson that approaches you, look at a car then find the quiet guy, kickin' back, leanin' against the wall. Ask questions on every fee, tax, license, everything! If you want accessories, buy em online. LoJack, etc., buy it elsewhere. Finally don't be disappointed if you don't buy a car that day, if they want to sell, they'll call you back.
Old 01-02-2011, 06:50 PM   #14

Wow, I go on forever!

Forgot something. Check the internet. There is always more than one dealership. When I first started selling I took a 300 mile round trip to get a particular car for a customer because he would not fold.

Like you said, the cars have more options than you want. That means you need to make it really clear that is not the car you really want.

So they need to "sell" you on more than what you're looking for.

When I bought my WRX I heard the Salesman and floor manager getting reamed cuz of the deal they just made. But it was a cold, rainy, Sunday at 7:00 pm, 2 hours before the dealership closes and they wanted, no, needed another sale.
Old 01-02-2011, 06:53 PM   #15
Moderator Emeritus
Regular

I knew it was high and was going to grill him while I was there. Bad thing or good thing: he's a mustang guy. We talked a little on the phone and when he said the price I was like "hmmm". He said call him if I plan to come in and drive it.

The car is gorgeous but I don't want to settle. I have always wanted the SB Cobra so maybe I should shoot for my dream car.

There's a Shelby GT500 at the Nissan dealership, too. Too bad I can't throw down on that bad boy.

Old 01-02-2011, 06:58 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Wow, I go on forever!

Forgot something. Check the internet. There is always more than one dealership. When I first started selling I took a 300 mile round trip to get a particular car for a customer because he would not fold.

Like you said, the cars have more options than you want. That means you need to make it really clear that is not the car you really want.

So they need to "sell" you on more than what you're looking for.

When I bought my WRX I heard the Salesman and floor manager getting reamed cuz of the deal they just made. But it was a cold, rainy, Sunday at 7:00 pm, 2 hours before the dealership closes and they wanted, no, needed another sale.
Thanks, not to imformative at all, I even bet there is more advise to be added. BTW which car do you think handles better the wrx or the gt. I have a credit union but they are very strict with loans. Pardon me for my bad credit ***. I have a high 500 to low 600 credit rating and a repo in my near history that's why I keep thinking I need to blabber about how much I make to get them to even look at me for a sale.
Old 01-02-2011, 08:43 PM   #17

If you wanna handle in just about any condition the WRX. The conditions I want to handle in, CA. Mustang, by far.

Bad credit, only real solution until the repo disappears is BIG down payment and hold on the price of your trade-in. Make your payments on time and try for a re-fi every year. Buying a car is one of the best ways to build credit. I have no idea how long a repo'd vehicle shows on your credit report, so couldn't say how long I'd wait.

Sorry. Not trying to jack this thread.

Just make sure a purchase is something you are not going to be disappointed with after the new car feel wears off. I thought I had figured out the whole sale on my WRX, but obviously I missed on some mechanical issues, so I'm unhappy now. Maybe it's why someone got rid of it with only 10.5k miles on it.
Old 01-02-2011, 10:31 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
If you wanna handle in just about any condition the WRX. The conditions I want to handle in, CA. Mustang, by far.

Bad credit, only real solution until the repo disappears is BIG down payment and hold on the price of your trade-in. Make your payments on time and try for a re-fi every year. Buying a car is one of the best ways to build credit. I have no idea how long a repo'd vehicle shows on your credit report, so couldn't say how long I'd wait.

Sorry. Not trying to jack this thread.

Just make sure a purchase is something you are not going to be disappointed with after the new car feel wears off. I thought I had figured out the whole sale on my WRX, but obviously I missed on some mechanical issues, so I'm unhappy now. Maybe it's why someone got rid of it with only 10.5k miles on it.
I know what you mean but I have always wanted the S197 mustang gt, and now I have one the 2011gt with its gem of a 5.0 motor spoiled me. Even when the new car feel wares off I still love Mustangs plus I absolutely love the new rear ends of the new cars, I love mustangs as much as I love Porsche fully, I have owned and test drove a lot of cars except the corvette. I did not like the sti when I drove it, felt like a sports car wanna be. One car I did love though was the 2008 BMW Z4 M coupe even on wet raining roads surface that car had more grip under my control than anything I ever drove. But I love the gut wrenching power and exhaust sound of the Mustang, when I pull next to even 335s and 350 or 370z you should see them chicken out with fear.
Old 01-03-2011, 08:21 AM   #19
Moderator Emeritus
Regular

I passed by it today again... It's so pretty....

Old 01-03-2011, 09:11 AM   #20
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV

if you are looking for something reliable and newer its not a bad overall deal~ but for 18k you could get an 03 cobra in sonic blue that would have more potential performance wise for dollar spent~ just be an older car of course.... but there are many very nice clean ones out there~
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 11:46 AM   #21
Moderator Emeritus
Regular

I have ways loved the SB termi
The GT keeps calling me though!
I'm not trying to make impulse decisions. haha

Old 01-03-2011, 11:56 AM   #22
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

if I was you I would save up and get a 2011 GT at least, might take longer but you get SO much more car.
Old 01-03-2011, 12:32 PM   #23
Legacy Member
Legacy

Send a message via AIM to sonic04edge

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectorV View Post
if I was you I would save up and get a 2011 GT at least, might take longer but you get SO much more car.
That's my plan. I'm going to enjoy my gt for another year. Once i'm out of school next fall and get a house. I'm going to start working towards a 11' GT.
1998 Ford Ranger-The DD
sonic04edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 02:37 PM   #24
Regular
Supporter

Lalayla....if you can afford the payment why not trade in the v6 for 2011 gt?
Old 01-03-2011, 03:31 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalayla
I knew it was high and was going to grill him while I was there. Bad thing or good thing: he's a mustang guy. We talked a little on the phone and when he said the price I was like "hmmm". He said call him if I plan to come in and drive it.

The car is gorgeous but I don't want to settle. I have always wanted the SB Cobra so maybe I should shoot for my dream car.

There's a Shelby GT500 at the Nissan dealership, too. Too bad I can't throw down on that bad boy.
Anytime your buying a used car get on EBay and see what that car is going for around the nation. Find one that u think is close to what they have, I know for a fact it will be cheaper. Tell them your dealing with somebody else on almost the exact same car and if they can't match that price your leaving. Just don't tell them the car is some where else, make them think its local. I've bought many used cars this way and they beat the price every time. Also don't let them add on with bogus charges, tell the, tax and title and that's it.
Gster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 03:56 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
This is only my opinion but, i think you should just hold out! Save a lil more money and go get your conv. Cobra, becuse once you buy the GT, you're gonna want the next upgrade. I had a red GT with a ton of work done to her but when the same color conv cobra pulled up to me, I knew I had to have it. I traded up and ow I've got my conv cobra and love every second of it! If the GT is what you totally want then spend the money, but it's totally your choice... Those GT500's (07's) have been on lots everywhere and the prices keep coming down...

Again, it's just my opinion, you have the tough job of making up your mind. Good luck!!!

Chris
Nasty Bite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 10:45 AM   #27
Moderator Emeritus
Regular

Thank you everyone for your advice!

I think I'm going to wait and see what comes up and not make any impulse decisions at the moment. As pretty as it is... Plus, if someone bought my car and I saw it driving everywhere around town I might get a little sad. Lol

I've wanted a SB Cobra for years so maybe I should keep on researching and see if it's possible to get in one eventually! Not sure when...

And you guys are right, I should hold out for the 2011 instead of the '08 if I decide to go GT. I do like the rear of the '05-09s better but the newer one is still sweet.

Old 01-04-2011, 10:57 AM   #28
Regular
Supporter

Quote:
Thank you everyone for your advice!

I think I'm going to wait and see what comes up and not make any impulse decisions at the moment. As pretty as it is... Plus, if someone bought my car and I saw it driving everywhere around town I might get a little sad. Lol

I've wanted a SB Cobra for years so maybe I should keep on researching and see if it's possible to get in one eventually! Not sure when...

And you guys are right, I should hold out for the 2011 instead of the '08 if I decide to go GT. I do like the rear of the '05-09s better but the newer one is still sweet.
I liked the rear of the 05-09 better but now I'm getting used to the 2011 rearend and its just fine.Another good point about the 2011 is the interior is so much better than the 05-09. It only looks like small change with the dash and all but they made it so sound proof that you can have a louds *** exhaust and still have a quiet cabin,hence the "sound excitement tube"

Whatever you decide don't rush it........BOOYAKASHA!
Old 01-04-2011, 11:02 AM   #29
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

the issue with an 03 SB cobra is going to be age for one, some are still in great shape but... age will bring issues from finding parts and such to little things going bad over time. Thats just part of it.

Next is the loan on them is lower than what you will have to pay for a nice one. Some banks may not even loan on a car that old (wow they are 8 going on 9 years old now... )
Old 01-04-2011, 11:45 AM   #30
Moderator Emeritus
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectorV
the issue with an 03 SB cobra is going to be age for one, some are still in great shape but... age will bring issues from finding parts and such to little things going bad over time. Thats just part of it.

Next is the loan on them is lower than what you will have to pay for a nice one. Some banks may not even loan on a car that old (wow they are 8 going on 9 years old now... )
Yeah, so the sooner the better but they aren't getting any younger like you mentioned I'll try and see what happens and if all else fails maybe I'll find myself in a nice newer GT.

There is a (white with red stripes) GT500 that I know I can't afford sitting at our Nissan dealer. I wish! I would prefer a black one if that were an option! It's still gorgeous...

Old 01-04-2011, 01:37 PM   #31
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

yea I would only really recommend an 03/04 cobra if it wont be your daily driver, they make great daily drivers but... since they are getting older it would fair far better to only be a weekend/nice day car.
Old 01-05-2011, 08:17 AM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland

Id say look for a 03 + Cobra having a " dream " car is worth it and power is intoxicating . Better still get a 2011 GT I know my opinion is prejudiced as I have my Dream car the 11 gt has termi power n/a + its new new new ... I have zero advice on $ , dealers etc . As soon as I test drove YLOBLZ I was toast probly paid to much blah blah , Point is I love love love my car and enjoy driving / modding it everyday YAY.
LbarJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 09:36 AM   #33
Moderator Emeritus
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectorV
yea I would only really recommend an 03/04 cobra if it wont be your daily driver, they make great daily drivers but... since they are getting older it would fair far better to only be a weekend/nice day car.
You are right. If I traded in my car it would have to be my daily driver... :/

Maybe I am better off looking at a GT even though a Termi would be amazing... Maybe some day down the road.

So indecisive! But I guess that's a good thing! I may wait for a 2011 but I might look or a used 05-09. I would probably be able to afford that more than the newer ones.

Old 01-05-2011, 09:44 AM   #34
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

now that I have done it the BEST thing is to save up and buy a reliable DD (cheap sure but reliable) and then buy a nice car so you can keep it nice and drive it ONLY when you want to keep it looking good. Terminators are great daily drivers and rather reliable but... all cars that are daily driven have issues and it sucks to have to buy a really nice one and ruin it with daily driver duty lol

I purchased an 05 sebring with 24k on it the December before last for 4k and its my daily driver I drive on the interstate daily and would HATE to have to drive my Cobra every day... I had to for a bit but thankfully thats behind me now. My car stays very nice and clean, its great
Old 01-05-2011, 10:28 AM   #35
Regular
Supporter

Quote:
You are right. If I traded in my car it would have to be my daily driver... :/

Maybe I am better off looking at a GT even though a Termi would be amazing... Maybe some day down the road.

So indecisive! But I guess that's a good thing! I may wait for a 2011 but I might look or a used 05-09. I would probably be able to afford that more than the newer ones.

Even a 05-09 would be a huge upgrade for power and interior for you.I say go for a 05-09 GT!

PS.....The 05 came in a sonic blue.....wink,wink.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion