Rear End! - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 01-13-2011, 09:58 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular
 
94 Mustang GT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Region: Minnesota
Posts: 165
Rear End!

Ok so I have a question for everyone! What are the pros and cons of a 8.8 rear end or a 9 in rear end? I just found out i have 3.27 in the rear with a 8.8 in rear. Idk weather to buy my friends 3.73 from his stock 06 that is the 8.8, or go with a 9in rear end? What shall I get if I plan on making some good power??
94 Mustang GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 01-13-2011, 10:40 PM   #2
Road Trip!
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Region: Kentucky
Posts: 839
Re: Rear End!

An 8.8 will hold up pretty darn good, they're as stong as a 9 inch but the 9 is easier to change out gears and such. Also if you snap an axel in a 9 it won't come out on you as easy, unless you get c-clip eleminators for the 8.8. If you aren't planning on full out raceing then i'd go with the 8.8.
Straublittleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 12:20 AM   #3
Road Trip!
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Region: Other
Posts: 2,268
The 8.8 is a very strong rear end! I know of a Guy that has one in a Twin Turbo '03 Cobra with 800hp. Said his best time was 9.09 @ 150!
Was actually considering putting mine in for trade on it, but might be too much to cruise in LOL!
93CobraGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 01-14-2011, 12:29 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular
 
94 Mustang GT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Region: Minnesota
Posts: 165
Re: Rear End!

so it almost sounds like 6 of one or half a dozen of the other? Thank you for the input so far
1
94 Mustang GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 10:29 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular
 
SpectorV's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Region: Alabama
Posts: 26,049
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV
Re: Rear End!

8.8 is a strong rear end that most will never have issues with. I would upgrade teh gears but keep the 8.8 (rebuild the tlok as well) only use new gears dont install used gears and get a pro to do the install to keep issues from happening.
__________________
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 10:56 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular
 
94 Mustang GT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Region: Minnesota
Posts: 165
Re: Rear End!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectorV View Post
8.8 is a strong rear end that most will never have issues with. I would upgrade teh gears but keep the 8.8 (rebuild the tlok as well) only use new gears dont install used gears and get a pro to do the install to keep issues from happening.
Well first, whats wrong with using gears frtom my buddies stang that only has 50k miles on em!? nothing! and Im a tech for Ford in MN, so I hope i can do it! lol
94 Mustang GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 11:26 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular
 
SpectorV's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Region: Alabama
Posts: 26,049
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV
Re: Rear End!

Gears wear in a given pattern, they will work but they may whine, who knows. They will will work its just an annoyance factor. Since you are a tech you can take them out, adjust etc so no big deal. Its just a precaution as gear installs can get expensive. I recommend those that don't have knowledge on all the little things to get someone else to do it, but I am sure you know every detail so you wont have any issues.
__________________
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 11:29 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular
 
94 Mustang GT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Region: Minnesota
Posts: 165
Re: Rear End!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectorV View Post
Gears wear in a given pattern, they will work but they may whine, who knows. They will will work its just an annoyance factor. Since you are a tech you can take them out, adjust etc so no big deal. Its just a precaution as gear installs can get expensive. I recommend those that don't have knowledge on all the little things to get someone else to do it, but I am sure you know every detail so you wont have any issues.
Thats right they wear in a pattern which is why you get the ring and pinion in a set which is what my buddy is going to give me! lol. no i never said i know every detail i was just pointing out that im a tech for ford so its not like im a weekend mechanic lol
94 Mustang GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 11:43 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular
 
stampde's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Manalapan
Region: New Jersey
Posts: 1,880
Re: Rear End!

another plus of the 8.8 is it takes less horsepower to turn it !!!
its lighter etc ......... not as strong as a 9' sorry , but pretty darn close ,
stick with the 8.8
__________________
2011 GT Auto
stampde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 11:59 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular
 
94 Mustang GT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Region: Minnesota
Posts: 165
Re: Rear End!

Quote:
Originally Posted by stampde View Post
another plus of the 8.8 is it takes less horsepower to turn it !!!
its lighter etc ......... not as strong as a 9' sorry , but pretty darn close ,
stick with the 8.8
So... I just might as well stick with my 8.8 then!??
94 Mustang GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 01:12 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular
 
stampde's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Manalapan
Region: New Jersey
Posts: 1,880
Re: Rear End!

i would , i had a 600+ rwhp car and didn't brake mine , it was beefed up, but still never had an issue ................,
__________________
2011 GT Auto
stampde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 08:47 PM   #12
Road Trip!
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Region: Kentucky
Posts: 839
Re: Rear End!

Even though you're a ford tech How many rear ends have you taken apart and put back together. Just asking?? Just because your a ford tech doesn't meen you can do it right and I have had many ford techs mess thing up worse than they were because they're "book smart" not "hands on smart".
Straublittleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 09:24 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular
 
94 Mustang GT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Region: Minnesota
Posts: 165
Re: Rear End!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Straublittleman View Post
Even though you're a ford tech How many rear ends have you taken apart and put back together. Just asking?? Just because your a ford tech doesn't meen you can do it right and I have had many ford techs mess thing up worse than they were because they're "book smart" not "hands on smart".
I never said i can to it right, i guess i was just trying to get at that i work on cars daily so i have experience and that i have any kind of tool, the space to do it and other experienced people for assitance! I also just ment im not a reatard with a wrench! lol. I have only done about 2 MAYBE 3 lol
94 Mustang GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 10:42 PM   #14
Road Trip!
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Region: Kentucky
Posts: 839
Re: Rear End!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94 Mustang GT View Post
I never said i can to it right, i guess i was just trying to get at that i work on cars daily so i have experience and that i have any kind of tool, the space to do it and other experienced people for assitance! I also just ment im not a reatard with a wrench! lol. I have only done about 2 MAYBE 3 lol
Ok. I'm sorry if I sounded like a dick, I wasn't trying to be. I just have a hard time putting words into place sometimes.
Straublittleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 11:07 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular
 
94 Mustang GT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Region: Minnesota
Posts: 165
Re: Rear End!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Straublittleman View Post
Ok. I'm sorry if I sounded like a dick, I wasn't trying to be. I just have a hard time putting words into place sometimes.
Oh no worries! I wasnt offended, but eveyones that way once in awhile!
94 Mustang GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 11:19 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Region: Alabama
Posts: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by Straublittleman
Even though you're a ford tech How many rear ends have you taken apart and put back together. Just asking?? Just because your a ford tech doesn't meen you can do it right and I have had many ford techs mess thing up worse than they were because they're "book smart" not "hands on smart".
Very true, the last time I brought my Lincoln blackwood to the ford dealer (under warranty) I noticed almost every tech there looked like they were fresh out of a tech school. When they finally finished swapping the heads due to them stripping out several spark plugs, I noticed screws missing and things unplugged too. Now since the warranty ran out I'll do all the repairs since I can't stand others touching my cars.
Cobracoupe5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 02:06 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular
 
94 Mustang GT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Region: Minnesota
Posts: 165
Re: Rear End!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobracoupe5 View Post
Very true, the last time I brought my Lincoln blackwood to the ford dealer (under warranty) I noticed almost every tech there looked like they were fresh out of a tech school. When they finally finished swapping the heads due to them stripping out several spark plugs, I noticed screws missing and things unplugged too. Now since the warranty ran out I'll do all the repairs since I can't stand others touching my cars.
Im not being defensive or anything, but I know you have made mistakes too! lol, heck its part of human nature! If you havent made mistakes you sure as heck arent human! lol. Im the SAME way, i get very nervious when others are working on my car! lol, even my buddies
94 Mustang GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 05:07 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Region: Alabama
Posts: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by 94 Mustang GT

Im not being defensive or anything, but I know you have made mistakes too! lol, heck its part of human nature! If you havent made mistakes you sure as heck arent human! lol. Im the SAME way, i get very nervious when others are working on my car! lol, even my buddies
Oh I've made plenty, I don't claim to be a ford tech, but I do claim to have over 20 years of hands on experience with 79-93 stangs. I don't know but when I go to the dealer for service I expect to have trained and experienced people working on my car. Otherwise, I would just go to bob's thrifty one stop auto repair for half the money. Lol

I'm not referring to any particular person but if I had to choose between a person with every certification and book smart or John doe who has never been to school but has been doing mechanic work for 20 years , I would go to John doe.

That's just me.
Cobracoupe5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 12:01 AM   #19
Legacy Member
Legacy
 
lowflyn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Region: Mississippi
Posts: 19,890
Send a message via AIM to lowflyn
Re: Rear End!

It's not just mating the ring to the pinion gear when you install in a new rear end.

To get the same exact wear patterns you will have to shim the gears exactly the same in order to the same exact backlash and pattern.
__________________
"I'm not driving too fast...just flying too low"
Mine:
-03 SB Cobra vert- 2552 of 5082 Born 02/25/03
Our's:
90 7up vert - new project-07 DSG Focus -DD
335
lowflyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 07:35 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Region: Alabama
Posts: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by lowflyn
It's not just mating the ring to the pinion gear when you install in a new rear end.

To get the same exact wear patterns you will have to shim the gears exactly the same in order to the same exact backlash and pattern.
Yeah, and If you can manage to accomplish that you need to hope they were installed correctly the first time around.
Cobracoupe5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion

« Avatar | Avatar »
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
8.8 rear end tigerfan2771 Pre-2005 V6 Mustang 20 12-12-2008 05:08 PM
Rear End megax29 Pre-2005 V6 Mustang 8 08-27-2007 08:19 PM
95 GT rear end? IFixAircraft 1979-1995 Mustang GT 6 08-31-2006 08:07 AM
99+ GT rear end jimmy_beaner Mustang Parts for Sale and Wanted 2 05-13-2005 02:33 PM
8.8 Rear End ttpancakes Mustang Parts for Sale and Wanted 8 07-20-2004 07:39 PM

» Like Us On Facebook



04:17 PM


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0

MustangEvolution.com is in no way associated with or endorsed by Ford Motor Company.