Rear End! - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 01-13-2011, 09:58 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Minnesota
Rear End!

Ok so I have a question for everyone! What are the pros and cons of a 8.8 rear end or a 9 in rear end? I just found out i have 3.27 in the rear with a 8.8 in rear. Idk weather to buy my friends 3.73 from his stock 06 that is the 8.8, or go with a 9in rear end? What shall I get if I plan on making some good power??
94 Mustang GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-13-2011, 10:40 PM   #2
Road Trip!

Region: Kentucky
Re: Rear End!

An 8.8 will hold up pretty darn good, they're as stong as a 9 inch but the 9 is easier to change out gears and such. Also if you snap an axel in a 9 it won't come out on you as easy, unless you get c-clip eleminators for the 8.8. If you aren't planning on full out raceing then i'd go with the 8.8.
Straublittleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 12:20 AM   #3
Road Trip!

Region: Other
The 8.8 is a very strong rear end! I know of a Guy that has one in a Twin Turbo '03 Cobra with 800hp. Said his best time was 9.09 @ 150!
Was actually considering putting mine in for trade on it, but might be too much to cruise in LOL!
93CobraGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-14-2011, 12:29 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

so it almost sounds like 6 of one or half a dozen of the other? Thank you for the input so far
Old 01-14-2011, 10:29 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV

8.8 is a strong rear end that most will never have issues with. I would upgrade teh gears but keep the 8.8 (rebuild the tlok as well) only use new gears dont install used gears and get a pro to do the install to keep issues from happening.
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 10:56 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectorV View Post
8.8 is a strong rear end that most will never have issues with. I would upgrade teh gears but keep the 8.8 (rebuild the tlok as well) only use new gears dont install used gears and get a pro to do the install to keep issues from happening.
Well first, whats wrong with using gears frtom my buddies stang that only has 50k miles on em!? nothing! and Im a tech for Ford in MN, so I hope i can do it! lol
Old 01-14-2011, 11:26 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Send a message via AIM to SpectorV

Gears wear in a given pattern, they will work but they may whine, who knows. They will will work its just an annoyance factor. Since you are a tech you can take them out, adjust etc so no big deal. Its just a precaution as gear installs can get expensive. I recommend those that don't have knowledge on all the little things to get someone else to do it, but I am sure you know every detail so you wont have any issues.
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 11:29 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectorV View Post
Gears wear in a given pattern, they will work but they may whine, who knows. They will will work its just an annoyance factor. Since you are a tech you can take them out, adjust etc so no big deal. Its just a precaution as gear installs can get expensive. I recommend those that don't have knowledge on all the little things to get someone else to do it, but I am sure you know every detail so you wont have any issues.
Thats right they wear in a pattern which is why you get the ring and pinion in a set which is what my buddy is going to give me! lol. no i never said i know every detail i was just pointing out that im a tech for ford so its not like im a weekend mechanic lol
Old 01-14-2011, 11:43 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey

another plus of the 8.8 is it takes less horsepower to turn it !!!
its lighter etc ......... not as strong as a 9' sorry , but pretty darn close ,
stick with the 8.8
Old 01-14-2011, 11:59 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by stampde View Post
another plus of the 8.8 is it takes less horsepower to turn it !!!
its lighter etc ......... not as strong as a 9' sorry , but pretty darn close ,
stick with the 8.8
So... I just might as well stick with my 8.8 then!??
Old 01-14-2011, 01:12 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey

i would , i had a 600+ rwhp car and didn't brake mine , it was beefed up, but still never had an issue ................,
Old 01-14-2011, 08:47 PM   #12
Road Trip!

Even though you're a ford tech How many rear ends have you taken apart and put back together. Just asking?? Just because your a ford tech doesn't meen you can do it right and I have had many ford techs mess thing up worse than they were because they're "book smart" not "hands on smart".
Old 01-14-2011, 09:24 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Straublittleman View Post
Even though you're a ford tech How many rear ends have you taken apart and put back together. Just asking?? Just because your a ford tech doesn't meen you can do it right and I have had many ford techs mess thing up worse than they were because they're "book smart" not "hands on smart".
I never said i can to it right, i guess i was just trying to get at that i work on cars daily so i have experience and that i have any kind of tool, the space to do it and other experienced people for assitance! I also just ment im not a reatard with a wrench! lol. I have only done about 2 MAYBE 3 lol
Old 01-14-2011, 10:42 PM   #14
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94 Mustang GT View Post
I never said i can to it right, i guess i was just trying to get at that i work on cars daily so i have experience and that i have any kind of tool, the space to do it and other experienced people for assitance! I also just ment im not a reatard with a wrench! lol. I have only done about 2 MAYBE 3 lol
Ok. I'm sorry if I sounded like a dick, I wasn't trying to be. I just have a hard time putting words into place sometimes.
Old 01-14-2011, 11:07 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Straublittleman View Post
Ok. I'm sorry if I sounded like a dick, I wasn't trying to be. I just have a hard time putting words into place sometimes.
Oh no worries! I wasnt offended, but eveyones that way once in awhile!
Old 01-15-2011, 11:19 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Straublittleman
Very true, the last time I brought my Lincoln blackwood to the ford dealer (under warranty) I noticed almost every tech there looked like they were fresh out of a tech school. When they finally finished swapping the heads due to them stripping out several spark plugs, I noticed screws missing and things unplugged too. Now since the warranty ran out I'll do all the repairs since I can't stand others touching my cars.
Cobracoupe5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 02:06 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobracoupe5 View Post
Very true, the last time I brought my Lincoln blackwood to the ford dealer (under warranty) I noticed almost every tech there looked like they were fresh out of a tech school. When they finally finished swapping the heads due to them stripping out several spark plugs, I noticed screws missing and things unplugged too. Now since the warranty ran out I'll do all the repairs since I can't stand others touching my cars.
Im not being defensive or anything, but I know you have made mistakes too! lol, heck its part of human nature! If you havent made mistakes you sure as heck arent human! lol. Im the SAME way, i get very nervious when others are working on my car! lol, even my buddies
Old 01-15-2011, 05:07 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94 Mustang GT

Im not being defensive or anything, but I know you have made mistakes too! lol, heck its part of human nature! If you havent made mistakes you sure as heck arent human! lol. Im the SAME way, i get very nervious when others are working on my car! lol, even my buddies
Oh I've made plenty, I don't claim to be a ford tech, but I do claim to have over 20 years of hands on experience with 79-93 stangs. I don't know but when I go to the dealer for service I expect to have trained and experienced people working on my car. Otherwise, I would just go to bob's thrifty one stop auto repair for half the money. Lol

I'm not referring to any particular person but if I had to choose between a person with every certification and book smart or John doe who has never been to school but has been doing mechanic work for 20 years , I would go to John doe.

That's just me.
Old 01-16-2011, 12:01 AM   #19
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Mississippi
Send a message via AIM to lowflyn

It's not just mating the ring to the pinion gear when you install in a new rear end.

To get the same exact wear patterns you will have to shim the gears exactly the same in order to the same exact backlash and pattern.
Our's:
90 7up vert - new project-07 DSG Focus -DD
lowflyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 07:35 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowflyn
It's not just mating the ring to the pinion gear when you install in a new rear end.

To get the same exact wear patterns you will have to shim the gears exactly the same in order to the same exact backlash and pattern.
Yeah, and If you can manage to accomplish that you need to hope they were installed correctly the first time around.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion