...Blow it or stroke it, either way im in a good place!!! - Page 2 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 01-23-2011, 11:42 AM   #36
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alscobra
Never known a turbo v8 mustang to last very long. Not for street applications. Under 10 or 12 psi centrifugal just makes life easier. Easy install. No exhaust mods or restrictions. Less heat. I've seen vortec kits on 5.0's hold up for years with no problems.
My engine guy said the same thing about longevity for turbo v8s. He said the main issue is oil coking! Whereas you need to let the engine idle for about 30 seconds prior to turning it off. If you don't the bearings get coated with oil which bakes on due to the excessive temp, and over time you'll ruin the unit.
Had my centrifugal blowers for many years with little to no issues. So you're absolutely right! It's just everyone running around Charlotte area has one. I hate blending in!!
DSS short block, 70 mm TB, 75 MM Mass air Accufab, TFS twisted wedge heads, street intake, custom Crower Cam from Custom Performance in Concord NC, Kooks long tube headers, Dr. Gas x pipe, Bassani Street series Catback, Eibach progressive rate springs, 5 sp. Trans, 4.10 Ford Racing Gear, FR 500 wheels, Steeda Tri ax shifter, SCT tune,
Mikes347 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-23-2011, 11:55 AM   #37
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibleedblue65
I think na will not be as streetable as you hope. You definitely can't build a fast sleeper na car. Its impossible. You will need to get away from that stock cam, which still cost you idle quality and vacuum.
The stock cam was going to be for the turbo set up. Was going custom grind for the stroker option. If I don't plan to twist it very high, I could get good idle quality with a well thought out cam profile and great tune. Somewhere in the 112-114 LSA area and no more than .550 - .555 lift range. The gears I have now are 4.10s but with a big stroker making great torque down low I'm thinking 3.55s no higher than 3.73s. That should help with street ability also. Also thinking AFR 185 heads with 58cc combustion chambers to keep throttle response crisp. Obtw.. The DSS 347 I currently have is pretty stout. I don't intend to race, so speed is a non factor. Just want a great lope, and gobs of torque.
DSS short block, 70 mm TB, 75 MM Mass air Accufab, TFS twisted wedge heads, street intake, custom Crower Cam from Custom Performance in Concord NC, Kooks long tube headers, Dr. Gas x pipe, Bassani Street series Catback, Eibach progressive rate springs, 5 sp. Trans, 4.10 Ford Racing Gear, FR 500 wheels, Steeda Tri ax shifter, SCT tune,
Old 01-23-2011, 12:26 PM   #38
Road Trip!

Region: Louisiana
If everyone is running one they must work. You can be different and blown up at the same time.
Alscobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-23-2011, 12:38 PM   #39
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alscobra
If everyone is running one they must work. You can be different and blown up at the same time.
Good point!!! Very good point!!
Old 01-23-2011, 12:41 PM   #40
Registered Member
Regular

Re: ...Blow it or stroke it, either way im in a good place!!!

damn that car looks raw. love that black. supercharger!

2004 3.9L v6
Black on black on black

MAC Cold Air Intake, 4.10 gears + T-Lok, SCT Tuner, dual H piped flowmaster super 40's
blackonblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 01:19 PM   #41
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikes347

My engine guy said the same thing about longevity for turbo v8s. He said the main issue is oil coking! Whereas you need to let the engine idle for about 30 seconds prior to turning it off. If you don't the bearings get coated with oil which bakes on due to the excessive temp, and over time you'll ruin the unit.
Had my centrifugal blowers for many years with little to no issues. So you're absolutely right! It's just everyone running around Charlotte area has one. I hate blending in!!
That's why you run a turbo timer or external pump with a timer.
ibleedblue65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 01:24 PM   #42
Registered Member
Regular

I love na, but if I were to do it again I would go turbo. How many power strokes do you know if with 200k + miles on them. Your mileage would be better, power would be better, it would be cheaper, and more streetable.
Old 01-23-2011, 01:37 PM   #43
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackonblack
damn that car looks raw. love that black. supercharger!
Thanks man!! It's a work in progress!
Old 01-23-2011, 01:39 PM   #44
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

That's why you run a turbo timer or external pump with a timer.
Cool! He never mentioned that. I'll make sure he and I discuss this on Tuesday when I talk to him.
Old 01-23-2011, 01:44 PM   #45
Registered Member
Regular

You could really go both ways. Both would be awesome in their own way. If I'm honest with myself, I really love a lopey, loud, bad *** na motor but there are a lot of good arguments for turbo a well. If you go remote mount you could really go sleeper and keep the stock airbox to go along with the valve covers and stuff. Just depends on what you really want from the car.
Old 01-23-2011, 02:00 PM   #46
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I love na, but if I were to do it again I would go turbo. How many power strokes do you know if with 200k + miles on them. Your mileage would be better, power would be better, it would be cheaper, and more streetable.
My old man's duallie has a power stroke in it with around 200k on it! It's the 7.3 and you couldn't hurt that engine if you tried!!
Question for ya dude?? Should I ever lose interest in my car...which will probably never happen... But if it does, which would potentially bring me the most cash if I tried to sell it? A 363 stroker, or a 306 with turbo? My car is in extremely good condition now. It has 170k on the car but the drivetrain has less than 3,500! Just curious? I made a huge mistake years ago and lost my shirt with an 89 i had. Went all out on the car, you name it and it had it, but it wasn't very marketable because not everyone wanted or cared to pay extra for a blower car during those days. (1993) The labor actually sunk me.
This is actually why I'm apprehensive about going the turbo route. The labor is even higher these days.
Old 01-23-2011, 02:13 PM   #47
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
You could really go both ways. Both would be awesome in their own way. If I'm honest with myself, I really love a lopey, loud, bad *** na motor but there are a lot of good arguments for turbo a well. If you go remote mount you could really go sleeper and keep the stock airbox to go along with the valve covers and stuff. Just depends on what you really want from the car.
I'm old school like you! Nothing sounds more badass than a thumpin cam and mean exhaust on a pushrod mustang!! Period! End of story! Lol I'm actually really looking for the now out of business Incon twin turbo kit. They were very small turbos that mounted virtually under the car behind the exhaust manifolds. You couldn't tell it was a turbo car if the hood was up. The only give away was the BOV, air inlet tube, and the intercooler behind the front air dam!! It was around 6,000 cash! Came complete with upgraded fuel and ignition system!!
It made 450 hp at 6psi on a stock 302. That was flywheel hp. But still... That is what I call major sleeper. Do you remember seeing the article in MM&FF back in the late 90s? They went out of business back in 07 right before the recession.
Old 01-23-2011, 03:26 PM   #48
Road Trip!

Region: Louisiana
Big valves. Low compression. Nice cam. And a blower with unrestricted exhaust. Easy and no pressure on bottom end under normal driving. Turbos will restrict the exhaust no matter how u look at it. Restricted exhaust makes heat plain and simple. Make life easy on yourself.
Alscobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 12:11 PM   #49
Titus Wadicus
Regular

Region: Ohio
Send a message via Yahoo to svtlx

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibleedblue65 View Post
I think na will not be as streetable as you hope. You definitely can't build a fast sleeper na car. Its impossible. You will need to get away from that stock cam, which still cost you idle quality and vacuum.
under hood temp is definatley higher with a turbo..unless you remote mount. but shyte, that's alota work. however, i agree it would be hard to make good power with a stock cam on a n/a motor. he will definatley have to boost if he wants to keep the stock cam.

actualy, 400 at the wheels is probably possible with a stroker and a stock cam i suppose.

bbk ssi, 70ml t.b., bbk adj.reg., bd11-a 11psi, e-cam,
racing aod, 2700 stall, 3.42 gears, ported e7, 308ci, 1.7rr, comp .560valve springs, gear drive, high dwell module, msd 6a & coil, bbk off road xpipe, mac cat back, 30lbs inj, pro-m 90mm, welded subframe connectors, boxed upper & lower trailing arms, spherical axle bushings, 255/50/16 tires, 255lph pump, 456hp
svtlx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 12:45 PM   #50
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by svtlx

under hood temp is definatley higher with a turbo..unless you remote mount. but shyte, that's alota work. however, i agree it would be hard to make good power with a stock cam on a n/a motor. he will definatley have to boost if he wants to keep the stock cam.

actualy, 400 at the wheels is probably possible with a stroker and a stock cam i suppose.
I agree with you but remote mount is not that bad. You just have to know a good exhaust guy.
Old 01-24-2011, 05:10 PM   #51
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

I agree with you but remote mount is not that bad. You just have to know a good exhaust guy.
I have the STS remote mount turbo setup on my 08 V6 and couldn't be happier yes tons of piping but u did it myself with a little help from my brother but instructions r great with pictures for every step. As far as sleeper bc it's remote mounted.... Not at all since the turbo replaces the muffler the first time u gun it that turbo can be heard whistling from a mile away an before I knew it ppl I had no idea who they were would see my car and say " hey aren't u the guy with the turbo" lol it's a small world... But yea love my turbo and would do it again... Close to 400 hp at the wheels now and yes it is a V6
Mustangguy0202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 06:31 PM   #52
Titus Wadicus
Regular

if i didnt have a small fortune invested n my fox i would do a remote mount turbo on my 95 caprice...lotsa room front and back.

racing aod, 2700 stall, 3.42 gears, ported e7, 308ci, 1.7rr, comp .560valve springs, gear drive, high dwell module, msd 6a & coil, bbk off road xpipe, mac cat back, 30lbs inj, pro-m 90mm, welded subframe connectors, boxed upper & lower trailing arms, spherical axle bushings, 255/50/16 tires, 255lph pump, 456hp
Old 01-24-2011, 06:57 PM   #53
Registered Member
Regular

Question? Would going the turbo route quiet down my exhaust a lot? I was told by my shop guy it would! I just invested a small fortune on a set of Kooks Lts, dr. gas x pipe and Bassani street comp catback and I love the way it sounds now that they've broken in! Talk about sinister!!!! Wow!! If the turbo system will kill my sound it's a no brainer... No deal!!
Old 01-24-2011, 07:20 PM   #54
Titus Wadicus
Regular

u know wut...idk, i thought maybe if u went remote mount, but it seems like it would be louder remote mount. im stumpd

Old 01-24-2011, 07:23 PM   #55
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
u know wut...idk, i thought maybe if u went remote mount, but it seems like it would be louder remote mount. im stumpd
Depends on the setup I think like mine is the remote mount that actually replaces the muffler so yes it's different but depending on ur setup and what u have will determine ur sound but if yours is as nice as u say I imagine with the sts having no mufflers it would be pretty sick
Mustangguy0202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 07:26 PM   #56
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
He said the way the turbo exhaust manifolds, turbo and tubing goes togetether it actually serves as another muffler, hence making it more quiet. We didn't discuss the remote mount today because I forgot. Booooo I suck!! Lol I'll ask him tomorrow when I take him my car. Having a new tranny put in it.
Old 01-24-2011, 07:41 PM   #57
Titus Wadicus
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikes347 View Post
He said the way the turbo exhaust manifolds, turbo and tubing goes togetether it actually serves as another muffler, hence making it more quiet. We didn't discuss the remote mount today because I forgot. Booooo I suck!! Lol I'll ask him tomorrow when I take him my car. Having a new tranny put in it.
let us know wut he says. i got lotsa xtra injectors...i can get ahold of sum pipe. spend a couple or three hundred buks on ebay...and bam, i got a new beater..lol.

Old 01-24-2011, 07:57 PM   #58
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

let us know wut he says. i got lotsa xtra injectors...i can get ahold of sum pipe. spend a couple or three hundred buks on ebay...and bam, i got a new beater..lol.
Sure thing! Beaters are awesome! Lol lol
Old 01-24-2011, 08:07 PM   #59
Titus Wadicus
Regular

Quote:
Sure thing! Beaters are awesome! Lol lol
the beater..... i been dying to give it sum hp. it's lowerd 2 inches.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CCP2.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	69.9 KB
ID:	22989  

Old 01-24-2011, 08:10 PM   #60
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

the beater..... i been dying to give it sum hp. it's lowerd 2 inches.
Nice beater! Hell for a beater it's nicer than some guy's pride n joy!! I think you could moe one helluva sleeper! Is it the 5.7 lt motor? Sweet!!
Old 01-24-2011, 08:13 PM   #61
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikes347
Question? Would going the turbo route quiet down my exhaust a lot? I was told by my shop guy it would! I just invested a small fortune on a set of Kooks Lts, dr. gas x pipe and Bassani street comp catback and I love the way it sounds now that they've broken in! Talk about sinister!!!! Wow!! If the turbo system will kill my sound it's a no brainer... No deal!!

Little sound clip of the exhaust the day I had it installed. This was prior to the muffler break in. it's much more aggressive now.
Old 01-24-2011, 08:15 PM   #62
Titus Wadicus
Regular

Quote:
Nice beater! Hell for a beater it's nicer than some guy's pride n joy!! I think you could moe one helluva sleeper! Is it the 5.7 lt motor? Sweet!!
nope, it's the 4.3 v8....it gets almost 27mpg hwy cause i took the cats out. it makes really good mid to high end torque

Old 01-24-2011, 08:18 PM   #63
Titus Wadicus
Regular

dats feakn sweet...i love the wheels and da ghost stripes..nice!!! sounds bad *** dude!!!

Old 01-24-2011, 08:20 PM   #64
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

nope, it's the 4.3 v8....it gets almost 27mpg hwy cause i took the cats out. it makes really good mid to high end torque
Wow! What gear you run in that thing? 2.73s? 27 mpg is impressive for a car weighing over 4,000lbs.
Old 01-24-2011, 08:42 PM   #65
Titus Wadicus
Regular

idk...wutever they put in it from the factory, i would imagine 2.73..no more than 3.08. they are actualy rated for 25-26 hgwy, so im not exactly setn the world on fire wit 27... i drive it at 80-90mph, so it may get 28-29 for all i know. once i got rid of the cats the milage shot up. i think having single exhaust helps out a bit cause it acts like an x pipe. verses chevies true dual config for the 5.7's. it's rediculously good on fuel. also slammed 2 inches probably helps milage as well for wind resistance.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion