Bad gas mileage - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 01-25-2011, 12:53 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oklahoma
Bad gas mileage

So, I've been getting bad gas mileage recently. Like 15-17 city, 18 combined, and about 22 highway. I have a 2004 v6 with a 5spd. It has 96000 miles on it. Does anyone here know what the heck could be happening to my car? Maybe spark plugs?
Las0mbra is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-25-2011, 05:31 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Las0mbra
So, I've been getting bad gas mileage recently. Like 15-17 city, 18 combined, and about 22 highway. I have a 2004 v6 with a 5spd. It has 96000 miles on it. Does anyone here know what the heck could be happening to my car? Maybe spark plugs?
When's the last time u changes the fuel filter? Also check tire pressure
Mustangguy0202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 07:31 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustangguy0202

When's the last time u changes the fuel filter? Also check tire pressure
The fuel system was flushed and the fuel filter was changed about 2 months ago. And my tires are just right.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-25-2011, 08:15 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

The fuel system was flushed and the fuel filter was changed about 2 months ago. And my tires are just right.
Yea probably plugs then when's last time u changed them?
Old 01-25-2011, 09:48 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV
Re: Bad gas mileage

yea change plugs (use OEM ford they are cheap) and run some seaform through the car (gas/oil/intake) to clean the carbon build up out of it.

Clean the MAF sensor with electronic NO residue cleaner from the autopart store as well. You will have to take apart some of the intake to get to it unless you have an aftermarket CAI then all you need is a tamper proof torx bit to remove the two bolts on the maf sensor... well you need the tool regardless or you can just spray as good as you can without removing the actual sensor.

IF you pull the sensor out BE CAREFUL dont bend it etc.
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 11:01 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustangguy0202

Yea probably plugs then when's last time u changed them?
I think they're factory.. I've never replaced them.
Old 01-25-2011, 11:02 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectorV
yea change plugs (use OEM ford they are cheap) and run some seaform through the car (gas/oil/intake) to clean the carbon build up out of it.

Clean the MAF sensor with electronic NO residue cleaner from the autopart store as well. You will have to take apart some of the intake to get to it unless you have an aftermarket CAI then all you need is a tamper proof torx bit to remove the two bolts on the maf sensor... well you need the tool regardless or you can just spray as good as you can without removing the actual sensor.

I've heard seafoam is bad for some engines, Is it okay for a mustang?
Old 01-25-2011, 11:21 PM   #8
Road Trip!

Region: Other

Quote:
Originally Posted by Las0mbra View Post
I've heard seafoam is bad for some engines, Is it okay for a mustang?
I just did seafoam on all three of our cars, and they are fine. If I had ANY doubts about it, I definitely wouldn't have run it through the Cobra!
Good sh**!
93CobraGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 11:28 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93CobraGuy

I just did seafoam on all three of our cars, and they are fine. If I had ANY doubts about it, I definitely wouldn't have run it through the Cobra!
Good sh**!
Okay, how much does it cost?
Old 01-26-2011, 01:26 AM   #10
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Las0mbra View Post
Okay, how much does it cost?
$10 or less a can. I ran about 2/3 of one can through the vacuum line on the Cobra, and put the rest in the gas tank. Then used a half can on my g/f's '02 GT and the other half on my Contour through the vacuum line.
Old 01-26-2011, 08:07 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93CobraGuy

$10 or less a can. I ran about 2/3 of one can through the vacuum line on the Cobra, and put the rest in the gas tank. Then used a half can on my g/f's '02 GT and the other half on my Contour through the vacuum line.
Okay, thanks man
Old 01-26-2011, 08:57 AM   #12
A.K.A. Baby-D!

Region: Louisiana

I've been wondering about trying the seafoam myself. whats the correct way of using it?
Previous:
2004 V6--my first pony
1988 GT--July 2010 MOTM
04TRV6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 12:31 PM   #13
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04TRV6 View Post
I've been wondering about trying the seafoam myself. whats the correct way of using it?
If you want to run it directly through the intake, just have the car running, unplug the vacuum line at the brake booster and let it SLOWLY suck about half the can in. Immediately shut the car off, plug the line back in,wait about 10 minutes, then start the car and let it run until the smokeshow stops. You may need to drive it around a little before it stops smoking though.
Take the other half of your can and dump it in the gas tank. Been doing this to my cars for years with no ill effects.
Old 01-26-2011, 12:42 PM   #14
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV

its bad for supercharged cars they say so I dont put it in mine but probably should do something....

not sure if they mean the oil system (which is self contained on mine) or vacuum/intake which a positive displacement blower has that other styles done etc.
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 12:59 PM   #15
Road Trip!

Region: Kentucky

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93CobraGuy View Post
If you want to run it directly through the intake, just have the car running, unplug the vacuum line at the brake booster and let it SLOWLY suck about half the can in. Immediately shut the car off, plug the line back in,wait about 10 minutes, then start the car and let it run until the smokeshow stops. You may need to drive it around a little before it stops smoking though.
Take the other half of your can and dump it in the gas tank. Been doing this to my cars for years with no ill effects.
+1 Don't forget to let your engine warm up to temp. And it will smoke like a freight train so don't worry when that happens, that shows you that you're burning out that carbon that has built up over the years. I would suggest doing it 1 time every week for 4 weeks then do it every other month or at every oil change to make sure you got it clean.
Straublittleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 01:03 PM   #16
A.K.A. Baby-D!

Region: Louisiana

thx for the info guys!
Previous:
2004 V6--my first pony
1988 GT--July 2010 MOTM
04TRV6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 01:45 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectorV
its bad for supercharged cars they say so I dont put it in mine but probably should do something....

not sure if they mean the oil system (which is self contained on mine) or vacuum/intake which a positive displacement blower has that other styles done etc.
What about turbocharged cars? Any idea?
Old 01-26-2011, 07:26 PM   #18
Road Trip!

Region: Canada
I seafoam at every 3rd oil change....if you google it there are you tube videos on exactly how it's done....my car when I first got it ran choppy and got brutal mileage...I ran 2 cans of seafoam it it and it ran like new...then I did my truck that has 250k and I couldn't believe it. I bought it new and it was running like new again. That stuff works. It does exactly what it says it will do...there is a spray as well that is great for cleaning throttle bodies and plenum. I had so much crap in there that it fouled my plugs...however I can't say how long the plugs were in there as they came with car but that stuff has made a believer
Everett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 09:58 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

My parents get bad gas mileage I think, like $80 every week, and my sister is that every 2 weeks, think seafoam would help their cars out?
\_\
MadGatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 10:06 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Okay, so I changed my plugs today with platinum plugs. Probably Seafoaming it tomorrow if I'm bored.
Old 01-26-2011, 10:09 PM   #21
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadGatter
My parents get bad gas mileage I think, like $80 every week, and my sister is that every 2 weeks, think seafoam would help their cars out?
Seafoam cleans the intake and crankcase and when put in the gas tank cleans the fuel system. If their loss of mileage is due to one of these being dirty then yes it would help but if it's something else seafoam won't help. As far as cleaning the fuel system I use toluene and acetone 4 oz of each in every tank and it's as clean as new and gets me 3 mpg better in city and 6 mpg on highway than without it and it costs way less than seafoam however I am afraid to try such harsh chemicals in the intake without some form of dilution...and torco 2 stroke mixing oil helps mpg too...1 oz per tank gets positive results
Old 01-26-2011, 10:09 PM   #22
Road Trip!

Quote:
Okay, so I changed my plugs today with platinum plugs. Probably Seafoaming it tomorrow if I'm bored.
How did they look
Old 01-26-2011, 11:34 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everett

How did they look
Dirty... But not too bad. But my car has 96k miles on it, so it needed it. And my car idles so much better now.
Old 01-27-2011, 05:22 AM   #24
Road Trip!

Good start....as far as cleaning the fuel system toluene and acetone are waaaay cheaper and can be bought by the gallon. And work well as octane boost too....for a good fuel system clean 1 liter of toluene per tank will do the trick. And acetone will boost mileage but not more than 6 ounces per tank. If you are using it as octane boost you can mix toluene at no lore than 40% and acetone no more than 20%.....xylene works too at 40% max
Old 02-05-2011, 01:17 AM   #25

Region: Arkansas

fuel filters, pumps, and your o2 sensors are the usual main cause of fuel lost. i'd give the horse a good tune up (oil change, spark plugs n wires, o2 sensors) and see how she reacts. if no change i'd go ahead and change the filter. These are ordinary procedures to maintain your stang so by doing so its def not a gamble with money because it should be done yearly depending on how much driving you do. if it does help, go ahead and add a custom cold air intake for about 80bucks on ebay, i PROMISE you it will pay itself off soon. my v6 burns as much gas as my girlfriend's little hyundai
97stangOn22z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 01:27 AM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by 97stangOn22z
fuel filters, pumps, and your o2 sensors are the usual main cause of fuel lost. i'd give the horse a good tune up (oil change, spark plugs n wires, o2 sensors) and see how she reacts. if no change i'd go ahead and change the filter. These are ordinary procedures to maintain your stang so by doing so its def not a gamble with money because it should be done yearly depending on how much driving you do. if it does help, go ahead and add a custom cold air intake for about 80bucks on ebay, i PROMISE you it will pay itself off soon. my v6 burns as much gas as my girlfriend's little hyundai
Intresting car..........
shelbie02gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 01:43 AM   #27

Region: Arkansas

thanks,....... i think???? LOL
97stangOn22z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 01:46 AM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by 97stangOn22z
thanks,....... i think???? LOL
You bet....
shelbie02gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 06:03 AM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectorV View Post
You will have to take apart some of the intake to get to it unless you have an aftermarket CAI then all you need is a tamper proof torx bit to remove the two bolts on the maf sensor... well you need the tool regardless or you can just spray as good as you can without removing the actual sensor.

+1....if you don't have the tool and no warranty on it...dremel a slot and use a flat ....as a last resort lol...but it works!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion