1750$ Ford Bill! Insight please! - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-05-2011, 08:06 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
1750$ Ford Bill! Insight please!

This is about a Ford 500 (Taurus) but I think you guys can help me

The other day I left my sister's car radio on and lights and the car died, (btw I just got my N didn't know) Got it jumped then went home and left it. Next morning it wouldn't turn on because I didn't have it running long enough I heard, so I got it towed to Ford because the door wouldn't unlock, coincidently, we were supposed to bring it in for a regular check up so they we did it as well, we got a call saying that the brakes need changing and some words my sister didn't understand, she approved them checking it but didn't say anything about changing them but apparently they called my mother and she gave the go ahead.

Well to our surprise we went in thinking we're paying 850$ they charge us 1750 saying the brakes were all seized up and unoperable, they changed Calipers and Rotors and brakes, I'll type the bill out. The car was perfectly fine before and only squealed just as we stopped and that actually still occurs, doesn't feel any different if not worse.

Heres the bill
Battery(Got a new battery) $180
Bulb $0.68
Misc repairs for removing the door and refastening rod lube so the door will unlock with a key $110

Quality Care service
Filter ASY $7.75
Oil in engine 3.5 x 6 = $15
Brake clean $4
filter ASY $20
5 Xnoil Bottled Oil $ .90

General Brake Concern
5 CXT 7 LCF12 Fluid - Trans 19.40 x 5= $97
Rear brake job with calipers. Replaced rear pads, Calipers and Rotors because they were to thin to machine

Brake Kit $95.94
Caliper ASY $183
Caliper ASY $183
Rotor ASY 2 x 100 =$200

To their defense this car hasn't needed much and the brake pads did need changing but when I talked to my buddy at work he says he worked at a mazda and lately because they're hurting for money they'll find anything to charge you for, and that if we really had it seized our car would not function properly.

I didn't write all the codes for the things because I didn't know if they are useful, if they are tell me and I'll write them down.

Anyways thanks for reading, what do you think about this ?
\_\
MadGatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-05-2011, 08:20 PM   #2
Road Trip!

Region: Kentucky
Re: 1750$ Ford Bill! Insight please!

according to the prices there it should be $1097.27 unless they're charging you $652.73 in labor.
Straublittleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 08:29 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

I left out a couple small parts and rounded up/down, the end receipt says

Labour 576.99
Parts 951.07
Shop Supplies 25
Sub Total 1553.06
TAX 186.37
Total 1739.43
\_\
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-05-2011, 08:41 PM   #4
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadGatter View Post
I left out a couple small parts and rounded up/down, the end receipt says

Labour 576.99
Parts 951.07
Shop Supplies 25
Sub Total 1553.06
TAX 186.37
Total 1739.43
yeh thats a bunch of bull. they didn't have permistion from the car owner to replace the parts. did they even show you the bad parts? i'd say no because they weren't that bad. Damn dealers
Straublittleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 09:38 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana

If permission was not given then they cannot force you to pay. Be sure your sister did not in any way give authorization. Ask for a copy of where the advisor noted any authorization. Call me tomorrow 225-803-5209 (name is Lynn) and I can help. This is my job everyday.
SaleenFiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 01:37 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaleenFiend View Post
If permission was not given then they cannot force you to pay. Be sure your sister did not in any way give authorization. Ask for a copy of where the advisor noted any authorization. Call me tomorrow 225-803-5209 (name is Lynn) and I can help. This is my job everyday.
Well my mother doesn't speak english well, gets taken advantage of alot and I hate it! she got a call and they told her something about the brakes and they need fixing so she DID authorize it. And the car is under her name, not my sister who is the main driver. if you could still help that'd be really nice
\_\
Old 03-06-2011, 04:44 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Well, there's not much you can do, she did give them the ok. Better luck next time.
Old 03-06-2011, 07:33 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
I have had problems with our local Toyota dealership. My girlfriend's family all own Toyotas. My girlfriend used to own o Ceilca convertible. One day her back driver side window fell down into the car. I took apart the interior to try and diagnose the problem. It took me about 15 mins to get it apart but I had to go to work and put it back together. I told her to take it to the dealer and see what they said. Well my girlfriend called me saying they wanted to charge $1200 for a new window motor and regulator. Also, the parked her car outside in the rain with the window down. She freaked out at them. I told her to bring the car home and I will fix it. Well I got the window assembly out and all it needed was a plastic roller that kept the window on its track. Cost $7. I hate going to that place and they hate seeing me there. My girlfriends sister took her car there for an inspection (her mom gets free inspections for purchasing her car there). They wouldn't pass it because they said it had an exhaust leak from a bad gasket. So I replaced the gasket. Nothing wrong at all with the old ones. I told her mom to take all of her vehicles to the guy that works on my cars because he can be trusted. Dealerships just want your money.
ksrumbel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 08:27 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
Angry Re: 1750$ Ford Bill! Insight please!

dude sorry, but they took u to the cleaners.plus it sounds like they really didn't have permision to do all that.sorry guy,that really sucks
06mustangmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 09:13 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksrumbel
I have had problems with our local Toyota dealership. My girlfriend's family all own Toyotas. My girlfriend used to own o Ceilca convertible. One day her back driver side window fell down into the car. I took apart the interior to try and diagnose the problem. It took me about 15 mins to get it apart but I had to go to work and put it back together. I told her to take it to the dealer and see what they said. Well my girlfriend called me saying they wanted to charge $1200 for a new window motor and regulator. Also, the parked her car outside in the rain with the window down. She freaked out at them. I told her to bring the car home and I will fix it. Well I got the window assembly out and all it needed was a plastic roller that kept the window on its track. Cost $7. I hate going to that place and they hate seeing me there. My girlfriends sister took her car there for an inspection (her mom gets free inspections for purchasing her car there). They wouldn't pass it because they said it had an exhaust leak from a bad gasket. So I replaced the gasket. Nothing wrong at all with the old ones. I told her mom to take all of her vehicles to the guy that works on my cars because he can be trusted. Dealerships just want your money.
Well my question isn't if they ripped me off, I know they did, I'm saying what should I do? Go back and ***** and get the old ones put on, then should I go to a repair shop and get it inspected?

And lastly, is that even normal for every brake to seize up after about 5 years of driving, my friend says he gets new calipers every year but he drives a gas guzzler 100000$ car
\_\
Old 03-06-2011, 09:50 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey

I hear stories like this all the time about car dealers , i think its better to find a local shop with a good rep / the more i hear stuff like this makes me happy i do everything myself ..
Old 03-06-2011, 10:26 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kansas

Ford dealership shops are probably the most expensive placed to get anything done. I use them some but have paid some pretty big bills for not much work...

07 Roush 427R, Brembo 14" rotor and four piston calipers

05 GT Mustang, FRPP, FR X pipe, Hurst short throw,
American Racing Torque Thrust 10X20 wheels,
Granettelli tower brace, custom painted flat black grafix, Yellow Optima
Beav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 11:45 AM   #13
Road Trip!

I'm not taking the dealers side here but I have to say. These techs work on commission. Every job task pays a certain amount. For example. If the job task calls for 1hr that's all the tech gets paid. The dealer charged $100/hr and the tech may only get $20 of it. A check my car out is wasting the techs time if he doesn't sell you something. If you decline the work to be done, the tech makes nothing. Some of these guys work 60 hrs a week and get paid for 30. It really sucks. A lot of independent mechanic shops pay the same way. Think about this when you get a repair quote next time. There is a parts price mark up and a 70-80% labor price mark up.
It's a dirty world cuz.
Alscobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 12:29 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

My dad was a Ford mechanic in the late 60's and 70's.

I still use Ford for somethings but like I said, it isn't cheap. About a year ago, my wife's white 05 GT had a plastic interior piece fail. A simple piece, I couldn't find one online, so I told my wife to just have the dealer fix it... She took the car into the local Ford dealer, from whom I have bought a couple of new cars in the past 10 years. When putting in the piece, they noticed that the pinion seal was wet and they felt it needed changed. I had bought this car used to replace our 99GT that we had lost in a tornado, and it had been modded before we bought it. A 4.10 rear end was one of those mods, and we had told the Ford shop previously that it had a non-standard rear end, in fact, they had investigated a whine for us in it. So when they replaced the pinion seal, they put a stock one in, and they trashed the gears and bearings in short order test driving it. They told me they couldn't guarantee it because they weren't Ford parts, but they could give me $1,000 towards repairs from a customer satisfaction fund. So I told them that if we replaced parts, I wanted a standard 3.55 rear end, and to go ahead and replace the clutch, pressure plate and throw out bearing, since I didn't know their history and the clutch was terribly stiff. The $1,000 covered the rear end, but it cost me an additional $1,400 to replace the clutch assembly...

So the original $150 repair ballooned into a $2,500+ repair, minus $1,000....

The clutch never did feel right, even after that; I traded if for the Roush last July...

Old 03-06-2011, 12:58 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beav View Post
My dad was a Ford mechanic in the late 60's and 70's.

I still use Ford for somethings but like I said, it isn't cheap. About a year ago, my wife's white 05 GT had a plastic interior piece fail. A simple piece, I couldn't find one online, so I told my wife to just have the dealer fix it... She took the car into the local Ford dealer, from whom I have bought a couple of new cars in the past 10 years. When putting in the piece, they noticed that the pinion seal was wet and they felt it needed changed. I had bought this car used to replace our 99GT that we had lost in a tornado, and it had been modded before we bought it. A 4.10 rear end was one of those mods, and we had told the Ford shop previously that it had a non-standard rear end, in fact, they had investigated a whine for us in it. So when they replaced the pinion seal, they put a stock one in, and they trashed the gears and bearings in short order test driving it. They told me they couldn't guarantee it because they weren't Ford parts, but they could give me $1,000 towards repairs from a customer satisfaction fund. So I told them that if we replaced parts, I wanted a standard 3.55 rear end, and to go ahead and replace the clutch, pressure plate and throw out bearing, since I didn't know their history and the clutch was terribly stiff. The $1,000 covered the rear end, but it cost me an additional $1,400 to replace the clutch assembly...

So the original $150 repair ballooned into a $2,500+ repair, minus $1,000....

The clutch never did feel right, even after that; I traded if for the Roush last July...
i love3 that white with the blue stripes,nasty awesome
Old 03-06-2011, 01:21 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

It seems classic Mustang to me.... Hard combo to beat, imho

Old 03-06-2011, 02:01 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by 06mustangmike View Post
i love3 that white with the blue stripes,nasty awesome
+1

I never go to dealerships
My parents have been friends with a mechanic for years so we just always take our cars to him
At least we get treated better and he charges less

I would say talk to them about the problem but I doubt they will do anything
Something similar happened like that to my fiance thats why I told him after that if he needs anything I will work on his car for him

Adrian
2001 Mustang

--AM CAI, BBK Headers, Dual exhaust, Billet grille, hood and side scoops, Sequential tail lights,
AM Headlight covers, Fog lights, Chin spoiler, H&R Lowering Springs, KYB Shocks and Struts

January 2012 StangAlley ROTM
Camo1967Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 02:03 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camo1967Mustang View Post
+1

I never go to dealerships
My parents have been friends with a mechanic for years so we just always take our cars to him
At least we get treated better and he charges less

I would say talk to them about the problem but I doubt they will do anything
Something similar happened like that to my fiance thats why I told him after that if he needs anything I will work on his car for him
i have a great mechanic that will do anything i need for the cars for a good price.i would rather give my money to someone who could use it
Old 03-06-2011, 02:07 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by 06mustangmike View Post
i have a great mechanic that will do anything i need for the cars for a good price.i would rather give my money to someone who could use it
+1
Dealerships definately don't need it
They overcharge on everything and aren't very nice about it either
My mechanic will do anything to help out a customer
He will even do some things free for us cause we spend so much money there
LOL

Adrian
2001 Mustang

--AM CAI, BBK Headers, Dual exhaust, Billet grille, hood and side scoops, Sequential tail lights,
AM Headlight covers, Fog lights, Chin spoiler, H&R Lowering Springs, KYB Shocks and Struts

January 2012 StangAlley ROTM
Camo1967Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 02:08 PM   #20
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 06mustangmike
+1
Alscobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 04:21 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Well my mother doesn't speak english well, gets taken advantage of alot and I hate it! she got a call and they told her something about the brakes and they need fixing so she DID authorize it. And the car is under her name, not my sister who is the main driver. if you could still help that'd be really nice
Go in and meet with the Service Manager and explain your situation to him. Do this in a calm manner. See if he is willing to work with you in any way. Also, request that the General Manager or any type of Customer Service Oriented Manager can sit in during this. They may not be able to remove anything, but it could save you a pretty penny.
Old 03-07-2011, 12:15 AM   #22
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaleenFiend

Go in and meet with the Service Manager and explain your situation to him. Do this in a calm manner. See if he is willing to work with you in any way. Also, request that the General Manager or any type of Customer Service Oriented Manager can sit in during this. They may not be able to remove anything, but it could save you a pretty penny.
This is pretty much the best advice your gonna get

Built 2 Last
Everett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 12:26 AM   #23
Regular

Region: Tennessee

The Huntsville, Madison, Fayetteville Ford Commercial Ford Dealership | Serving Athens and Decatur | Woody Anderson Ford | Alabama, Tennessee in Huntsville, AL is a giant pile of crap, or at least it was last time I went in there. The guy working parts was an ******* and showed little interest in trying to help me. This was the last time I stepped foot in their parts department. I was never wowed or impressed any other visits before that and the dealership vibe just added to the frustration I felt.

Dealerships are my last stop in the chain of getting things done on my car. Even if the thing I need fixed is under warranty, I would hesitate taking it in because I know someone there is going to try to shake me down.

Reddit
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 12:32 AM   #24
Regular

Region: Tennessee

By the way, what dealership was this?

Reddit
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 02:19 AM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Garf Baxandall Ford Sales - Your Courtenay, British Columbia Ford dealer for new and used vehicle sales and service
This one.
\_\
Old 03-07-2011, 02:28 AM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
What should I talk about Saleen Fiend? I might call you tomorrow about this
\_\
Old 03-07-2011, 08:29 AM   #27
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV

read your state laws, they cant do things do your car without you saying they can (at least some states are like this) so they cant just say "while we were putting on your new tires your battery was bad so we replaced that and oh you owe us another 100 bucks"
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 12:28 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
What should I talk about Saleen Fiend? I might call you tomorrow about this
Just call me.
Old 03-07-2011, 08:02 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Send a message via Yahoo to 1ijack

Well this is where it helps tyo have knowledge of basic repair skills. I have done all the work myself on all my family vehicles and if there is something that stumps me I have plenty of friends that can find the answer.

If you sit down and explain the situation they should work with you if they want to keep you as a customer. They are service oriented and bad advertisement is far worse then good.

The Mustang Mafia
"Join the family, if you dare"
www.themustangmafia.com
1ijack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 11:26 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

I just had an Idea, what If I go back to ford, as to get the old calipers and whatever, go to a mechanic and have them look at it. If they really are seized then I take back everything I said, if they seem fine go and b**** at them. Sound ok?
\_\
Old 03-08-2011, 11:27 PM   #31
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadGatter
I just had an Idea, what If I go back to ford, as to get the old calipers and whatever, go to a mechanic and have them look at it. If they really are seized then I take back everything I said, if they seem fine go and b**** at them. Sound ok?
In Canada they have to give you back the parts they removed. It's a law to keep shops honest.

Built 2 Last TTT
Everett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 01:36 AM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Just call me.
called you a couple times but you never picked up :S is this your jobs number?
\_\
Old 03-09-2011, 07:45 AM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

lmao... What's your area code? Sorry I've been slammed at work. We are implementing a new system into our network of dealers and I was here until about 10PM last night.
Old 03-09-2011, 08:43 AM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everett View Post
In Canada they have to give you back the parts they removed. It's a law to keep shops honest.

Built 2 Last TTT
Now that, is a great law!!
Old 03-09-2011, 08:52 AM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfsbain76 View Post
Now that, is a great law!!
I think that's effective in the states?

Also, once removed the caliper may seem fine as it will have lost pressure in the system and returned to what seems normal operating procedure. You will not have any pressure since the caliper will be completely open air. The caliper off of the car will not act the same as it would on the car. Alot of times calipers tend to stick interminettely too. Causing damage at different times. Either way they can help you out by reducing the labor rate/labor time/parts cost(markup)

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion