what are the first mods. I should do to a 2011 5.0. - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-08-2011, 01:05 PM   #1
erk
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Mexico
what are the first mods. I should do to a 2011 5.0.

I have a new 2011 5.0. I am not a racer but would like to build a cool street rod but not going overboard with extreme tuning. I use my car to go back and forth to work on enjoy the open road across country. Any ideas?
erk is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-08-2011, 01:34 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV
Re: what are the first mods. I should do to a 2011 5.0.

doing much will require a tune, and a tune can void the warranty. Ford has some options and may also have a tune that will maintain warranty~ just something to consider.

Exhaust wouldnt be a bad starting place as it shouldnt void the warranty. Dont do an intake alone as the tune will be needed to make sure the car is safe.
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 02:50 PM   #3
erk
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectorV
doing much will require a tune, and a tune can void the warranty. Ford has some options and may also have a tune that will maintain warranty~ just something to consider.

Exhaust wouldnt be a bad starting place as it shouldnt void the warranty. Dont do an intake alone as the tune will be needed to make sure the car is safe.
Is a tune a computer chip or several things make up a tune do I take it to ford for the tune. Thanks for the info
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-08-2011, 03:29 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV

in today's cars most dont use chips any more (old outdated tech generally). You can get a handheld tuner that just modifies the current settings.

ford might offer a tune for a "performance package" that would consist of intake/exhaust or so. If you want a better tune or want other mods (mods that require a retune that is) you may have to look elsewhere for a tune.

If ford doesnt know you tuned it (and doesnt check to see if you did) then it wont matter much so keep that in mind as well. You can always put the stock tune back in it at any time you want, the issue is ford may still know it at one time had a custom tune.
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 04:42 PM   #5
Road Trip!

Region: Canada
Gears

Built 2 Last TTT
Everett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 06:17 PM   #6
erk
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
in today's cars most dont use chips any more (old outdated tech generally). You can get a handheld tuner that just modifies the current settings.

ford might offer a tune for a "performance package" that would consist of intake/exhaust or so. If you want a better tune or want other mods (mods that require a retune that is) you may have to look elsewhere for a tune.

If ford doesnt know you tuned it (and doesnt check to see if you did) then it wont matter much so keep that in mind as well. You can always put the stock tune back in it at any time you want, the issue is ford may still know it at one time had a custom tune.
How does a hand held tuner work
Old 03-08-2011, 06:37 PM   #7
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by erk

How does a hand held tuner work
You plug it into your obd port and follow the prompts

Built 2 Last TTT
Old 03-08-2011, 06:48 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Iowa

A hand held tuner plugs into your service port. It will download the 'stock' configuration from the PCM into the hand-held, then it will flash the PCM with the custom tune stored in the hand-held. At this point, the tuner is married to the car (in other words it will only work with that car). If, in anytime in the future, you want to restore the car to 'stock', you can plug the tuner in again and the tuner will flash the PCM with the 'stock' tune (or you can load a new tune in).
John@NQS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 06:51 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kentucky
Leave it alone until the warranty is up in 3 years, you have a much faster car than most already.
Gster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 08:07 PM   #10
Loc: Austin,TX
Regular
Supporter

Region: Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gster View Post
Leave it alone until the warranty is up in 3 years, you have a much faster car than most already.
No offense but hell no. Throttle lag in these cars blows. Throw on a cai and handheld tuner and you will feel like you have a different car.It is very easy to install and uninstall if you need to take it back to the dealer.But if you dont want to mess with that just get yourself a nice axelback exhaust.
DDTCM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 08:47 PM   #11
erk
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDTCM

No offense but hell no. Throttle lag in these cars blows. Throw on a cai and handheld tuner and you will feel like you have a different car.It is very easy to install and uninstall if you need to take it back to the dealer.But if you dont want to mess with that just get yourself a nice axelback exhaust.
Do I need a tuner on any exhaust install. Sorry for all the dumb questions I have not been up to speed in years.
Old 03-08-2011, 09:16 PM   #12
Regular
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by erk View Post
Do I need a tuner on any exhaust install. Sorry for all the dumb questions I have not been up to speed in years.
You wont need a retune for a axelback exhaust and its so easy you can do it in the driveway.The 2011 axelback is super easy,you dont even need to unbolt the hangers.The 05-09s you had to unbolt the hangers completly.The new one just pop outta the rubber once lubricated.They are much easier to line up also.
Old 03-08-2011, 09:40 PM   #13
erk
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

You wont need a retune for a axelback exhaust and its so easy you can do it in the driveway.The 2011 axelback is super easy,you dont even need to unbolt the hangers.The 05-09s you had to unbolt the hangers completly.The new one just pop outta the rubber once lubricated.They are much easier to line up also.
Well sounds like a good three level tuner with the cold air intake and a exhaust system with a few sick body add on's. I would have a pretty sick rod
Old 03-08-2011, 09:42 PM   #14
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by erk

Well sounds like a good three level tuner with the cold air intake and a exhaust system with a few sick body add on's. I would have a pretty sick rod
Oh yeah. The new ones are awesome right from ford. Good call on the ride. Get some pics up

Built 2 Last TTT
Old 03-08-2011, 10:00 PM   #15
Regular
Supporter

Cai,tuner,exhaust and you will be at around 370+whp.
Old 03-08-2011, 11:37 PM   #16
erk
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Cai,tuner,exhaust and you will be at around 370+whp.
Thanks you guys all this is a big help. I now have I good idea what to look for.
Old 03-11-2011, 08:06 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

My 1st mod was my exhaust. I'm a FM guy myself. It sounds great, just thinking now could sound better! That's all I can prob afford til car's paid off.
Old 03-11-2011, 08:16 PM   #18
Regular
Supporter

Ordering my wheels and tires tomorrow,should have them by next weekend!
Old 03-15-2011, 04:14 AM   #19
Road Trip!

Quote:

K. I have spoken with Chris from American Muscle and he informed me in no uncertain terms that ford CANNOT tell if you ran a custom or canned tune. The trick is you gotta drive about 50 miles to fill the computers memory. When you re-flash the stick tune in it shows a dead spot in the memory. The same dead spot that if you unhooked your battery for any length of time. So if you cannot get enough miles on it to fill the short term memory your story is that you unhooked the battery because when ford hooks up their diagnostic they both show up the same

Built 2 Last TTT
Old 03-26-2011, 08:23 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York

Man, I like this thread!
I am also knew in this MUSTANG GT WORLD, here is what I did so far, and also what I am really looking forward to do:
My GT OEM:
2011 - 3.73 - BREMBO - HID - SECURITY - COMFORT - SADDLE LEATHER - CAMERA - SIDE AND HOOD STRIPES.
What I added:
-HOEN XENONMATCH 4000K HALLOGEN FOG LIGHT BULBS (Beautiful, matches the HIDs)
-FLOWMASTER HUSHPOWER AXLE-BACK (easy install - 30 minutes) sounds awesome.
What I want to do:
-BBK COLD AIR INTAKE (NO TUNE REQUIRED) FOR US 329.00? is it worth it? WILL IT VOID THE WARRANTY?
For now, this is really what I would like to add, but I am really not sure if I should, since I already have over 412+hp with the axle-back.
Appreciate your opinion on the CAI no tune.
Appreciate your opinion on the warranty with the CAI no tune.

SAFE RIDE,
LCL
Old 03-26-2011, 08:49 PM   #21
erk
Registered Member
Regular

Not sure on the warranty. But ford has one that will not but don't really know if its any good. You have to be careful about the tune though. But I know there is ways around that as well. I too will get a cold air. I want the rear side lovers they make the 2011 look sick! I too would like to try the axle backs I heard they are cool and easy. I would like to try a street or performance tune. But I am a little nerves about the warranty
Old 03-27-2011, 04:22 AM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut

Exhaust is usually the first thing everyone gets please I have sure it would make it sound much better than the stock set up.

Good luck
gixxer007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 06:13 AM   #23
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by braztang
Man, I like this thread!
I am also knew in this MUSTANG GT WORLD, here is what I did so far, and also what I am really looking forward to do:
My GT OEM:
2011 - 3.73 - BREMBO - HID - SECURITY - COMFORT - SADDLE LEATHER - CAMERA - SIDE AND HOOD STRIPES.
What I added:
-HOEN XENONMATCH 4000K HALLOGEN FOG LIGHT BULBS (Beautiful, matches the HIDs)
-FLOWMASTER HUSHPOWER AXLE-BACK (easy install - 30 minutes) sounds awesome.
What I want to do:
-BBK COLD AIR INTAKE (NO TUNE REQUIRED) FOR US 329.00? is it worth it? WILL IT VOID THE WARRANTY?
For now, this is really what I would like to add, but I am really not sure if I should, since I already have over 412+hp with the axle-back.
Appreciate your opinion on the CAI no tune.
Appreciate your opinion on the warranty with the CAI no tune.
SAFE RIDE,
LCL
K...great mod list. And as far as warrantee and tune issue that statement is fact not opinion

PETOM.biz TTT
Old 03-28-2011, 11:45 AM   #24

Region: Tennessee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everett View Post
K. I have spoken with Chris from American Muscle and he informed me in no uncertain terms that ford CANNOT tell if you ran a custom or canned tune. The trick is you gotta drive about 50 miles to fill the computers memory. When you re-flash the stick tune in it shows a dead spot in the memory. The same dead spot that if you unhooked your battery for any length of time. So if you cannot get enough miles on it to fill the short term memory your story is that you unhooked the battery because when ford hooks up their diagnostic they both show up the same

Built 2 Last TTT
What;s your story if you take to a Ford Dealership for servicing?
Jameson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 04:36 PM   #25

Region: Arizona

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jameson View Post
Also, how many miles does it take to fill up the on board computer after you reflash back to the stock tune?
katmando911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 07:03 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Exclamation Re: what are the first mods. I should do to a 2011 5.0.

Hey guys,
this is getting interesting...
The more I research, the more I feel like spending some BUCKS and tuning my GT.

I heard that the STEEDA CAI + SCT SF3 tuning is really amazing, even though it is cost! (700 and change).
Anyone can be a witness of the steeda cold air intake + sct SF3 tuning?

Also I appreciate any inputs on what is best and what is the PROS and CONS on tuning a 2011 under warranty!

Thanks all,
Safe riding.
braztang
Old 03-29-2011, 09:41 AM   #27
erk
Registered Member
Regular

Also, can you get a cai that does not need a tune and later get a tune and the cai still be ok for the new tune
Old 03-29-2011, 09:51 AM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

I was going nuts...just spent US 739 on a steeda CAI + TUNE...
Lets see, when arrives and after install I will post some pics and review it.
Take care guys,
Tks,
Ride safe
LCL
Old 03-29-2011, 05:59 PM   #29
erk
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by braztang
I was going nuts...just spent US 739 on a steeda CAI + TUNE...
Lets see, when arrives and after install I will post some pics and review it.
Take care guys,
Tks,
Ride safe
LCL
Yes let us know how that goes
Old 04-01-2011, 03:31 PM   #30
erk
Registered Member
Regular

**** I found out that if you change out the cold air you wasting $$$ the 2011 already has cold air induction and you only need the drop in k&n high flow filter and not the whole system
Old 04-01-2011, 03:40 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Thumbs up Re: what are the first mods. I should do to a 2011 5.0.

Quote:
Originally Posted by erk View Post
**** I found out that if you change out the cold air you wasting $$$ the 2011 already has cold air induction and you only need the drop in k&n high flow filter and not the whole system
I know it sounds crazy, but I went down to see a GT 2011 with STEEDA CAI + 93 Octane tune from SCT...

I could not believe what it does to the car...it is a different GT, it really increases power, torque and actually makes the car smother for some reason, I still did not get it why... Also make it sound better and stronger too.

In addition, according to the techs, it gets a better mileage due to the mixture being more stable with extra air coming in + the tuning that unleashes the extra power already there, but not available with factory programing.

Lets see on my GT when I install it, it was shipped yesterday, should be installing it sometime next week.

Take care,
Safe driving.
Braztang
Old 04-01-2011, 04:17 PM   #32
erk
Registered Member
Regular

Yes the drop in air filter increase torque and 16 hp. $50. The after market cia goes for more than $300 and has the same hp gain. They sell you the filter and the aluminium pipes. If you look you already have half the system. Ford has a tune for 200$ on ford racing.com. and your warranty is safe that way. They will try to sell you stuff you don't need make sure you do the research. I know a guy at ford that is a friend and if you engine light comes on because of your after market cia on tune you will be screwed. It happens all the time
Old 04-01-2011, 04:33 PM   #33
Regular
Supporter

If you want a weak *** tune then drop in the paper filter and get a ford tune. Aftermarket parts are made for a reason.....to inhance what you have. A ford tune isnt even gonna compare to a Jon Lund,BBR or Bama tune.Do some research on stock intakes and CAI and make the decision based on comparison.Aftermarket CAIs and tuner make a huge difference.As far as screwing your warranty,you will be just fine.There are ways around that.
Old 04-01-2011, 05:11 PM   #34
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jameson

K if you don't get 50 miles or so on after you re-flash the computer it shows a dead spot in the memory. The EXACT SAME dead spot shows if you unhooked your battery so that's your story. I UNHOOKED THE BATTERY. Done deal. If you get the necessary 50 or so miles in tho it shows nothing on the computer so no story necessary.

PETOM.biz TTT
Old 04-01-2011, 05:12 PM   #35
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by katmando911

Also, how many miles does it take to fill up the on board computer after you reflash back to the stock tune?
About 50 or it shows a dead spot in the memory. See post above

PETOM.biz TTT

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion