Question about oil - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-14-2011, 10:50 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
Question about oil

Okay, I'm looking to seal the deal on a 06' V8 Mustang (S197) come Wednesday. My bro and I were wondering what kind of oil it takes? 5W30 or 10W30?

Thanks in advance for all the help guys.
W0lfMAN21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-15-2011, 12:38 AM   #2
Road Trip!

Region: Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by W0lfMAN21
Okay, I'm looking to seal the deal on a 06' V8 Mustang (S197) come Wednesday. My bro and I were wondering what kind of oil it takes? 5W30 or 10W30?

Thanks in advance for all the help guys.
K. Go with a synthetic 0w30. Amsoil

Built 2 Last TTT
Everett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 12:49 AM   #3
Road Trip!

Region: Other
Re: Question about oil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everett View Post

Built 2 Last TTT
You need to gather all your eggs in one basket and just make an oil thread buddy. Then you can just post a link to it if someone has a question about oil! Good for a writeup on PETOM as well!
93CobraGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-15-2011, 01:06 AM   #4
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93CobraGuy

You need to gather all your eggs in one basket and just make an oil thread buddy. Then you can just post a link to it if someone has a question about oil! Good for a writeup on PETOM as well!
We should have an oil,grease and filter sub-forum. I would be happy to write an article on oil for petom

Built 2 Last TTT
Old 03-15-2011, 01:26 AM   #5
Road Trip!

Region: Other

Quote:
We should have an oil,grease and filter sub-forum. I would be happy to write an article on oil for petom

Built 2 Last TTT
Good idea. Bring that up to Brent.
93CobraGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 01:54 AM   #6
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93CobraGuy

Good idea. Bring that up to Brent.
Oh. I am sure he will be going over all the threads I posted in once he is back on hehehe

Built 2 Last TTT
Old 03-15-2011, 01:56 AM   #7
Road Trip!

They have a sub-forum like that at mustangforums. That's where I met unleashed beast. Now that guy really knows oil. Makes me look amateur. Whenever I am not sure on something he is the first guy I ask

Built 2 Last TTT
Old 03-15-2011, 05:33 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everett

Built 2 Last TTT
Thanks Everett.
Old 03-15-2011, 07:09 AM   #9
Road Trip!

Ok. Ford recommends 5w20 for the 3v however they do that do save millions in carbon taxes,not because of any other reason. CAFE laws are why they do it. With 5w20 the motor will get about 1 mpg better mileage. That may not seem like much however when you build millions of cars it ads up really fast. These mod motors need to rev to make any power and 5w20 will shear down quickly because of the heat and abuse. These motors because of the high rpm blasts need 100% synthetic oil. For example red-line,royal purple and amsoil qualify. Contrary to popular belief mobil 1 isn't a true synthetic. Mobil 1 uses group 3 base stocks which are a hydrocracked conventional oil. The 3 previously mentioned oil brands are a group 4 base stock=100% synthetic. Now amsoil has a line called SSO, signature series oil. It comes in a 0w30,5w30 and 10w30 weight and when used with an amsoil filter will go 25000 miles of regular driving before the additive pack has been depleted. 15000 if you keep your foot into it. The amsoil XL line has elevated levels of zddp for higher mileage engines and will go an easy 10000 mile of spirited driving before it's add-pack has been depleted. I recommend either of these 2 formulations in either the 0w30 or the 5w30 and take them right to the suggested oil change interval. Now royal purple and red-line are true synthetics and they have an added little bonus.....moly. Which in my testing in a 5.3 liter chev truck improved my mileage by 3 mpg. And I would suggest the same viscosities as above. K now moly. It's a mineral compound that is mined. It can be found at napa and the brand name is Lubro-moly. It's an oil additive that actually works. And just so I am clear I do not recommend you use the 5w20 spec. These mod motors were built to rev and once the oil gets to operating temp 5w20 has the viscosity of water. Not good protection. K well this is just my educated opinion. Take it for what it's worth. I am now just waiting for the first lemming to pop in and say'The manual says to use 5w20' and completely ignore the paragraph above. The same kind of guys who don't ask why they just follow the rest of the herd off the cliff. Anyways op I have mountains of paper on oil so if you have any other inquiries on this subject I would be happy to possibly answer. Ok lemmings,fire away

PETOM.biz TTT
Old 03-15-2011, 08:23 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV

if its 5w20 you can run 5w30 for a better wear protection and overall better oil. The 5w20 is used (in mine as well) by ford for emissions, not better protection.
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 10:07 AM   #11
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectorV
if its 5w20 you can run 5w30 for a better wear protection and overall better oil. The 5w20 is used (in mine as well) by ford for emissions, not better protection.
Nice.....someone gets it. I feel somehow vindicated

PETOM.biz TTT
Old 03-15-2011, 10:19 AM   #12
Road Trip!

Region: Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Everett

Nice.....someone gets it. I feel somehow vindicated

PETOM.biz TTT
You've researched the f'n **** out of this issue. Im impressed a little. I use mobil 1 in mine though. I've seen on one occasion where mobil 1 wouldn't allow rings to seat in a new race motor. Two separate trips to the track and only made 1 pass. Engine builder said it was mobil 1. Made a few passes with conventional oil. Replaced with mobil 1 after that and had no more problems. Main reason I use it. I'm sure the other brands you mentioned are just as good if not better though.
Alscobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 10:28 AM   #13
Road Trip!

Honestly al if a person is gonna follow let's say a 3000 mile oci you could use the cheapest crap out there. The add-pack isn't depleted. Synthetic oils add-pack just lasts longer and has a more consistent cold flow capability. They don't really protect much better unless you get extreme cold,then they are far superior because they flow faster and lubricate critical components faster. Thereby making the engine last longer due to less metal on metal contact.

PETOM.biz TTT
Old 03-15-2011, 12:27 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

So fully synthetic 5w30 oil you would only have to change once every 10k-15k miles?

2016 Comp Orange GT (current)
Aurora - 2002 Boosted GT! (Sold, sadly)
ColeJohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 12:53 PM   #15
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColeJohnson
So fully synthetic 5w30 oil you would only have to change once every 10k-15k miles?
Some. Not all. Mobil 1 has a 7500 oci oil,rp,red-line and the xl line from amsoil will hold up well beyond 10k. However the Amsoil SSO line will go 25k if you use Amsoils filters,but if your beating on it it will need changing after 15k.

PETOM.biz TTT
Old 03-15-2011, 01:29 PM   #16
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV

yea dont expect a normal filter to go 10k or even more than 3-5k regardless of the oil. I change mine once a year. I have been using mobil 1, even though I know amsoil is better... I use a ford motorcraft filter (good filter) and usually get 2-3k on it between changes (how ever much in 12 months)
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 02:09 PM   #17
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectorV
yea dont expect a normal filter to go 10k or even more than 3-5k regardless of the oil. I change mine once a year. I have been using mobil 1, even though I know amsoil is better... I use a ford motorcraft filter (good filter) and usually get 2-3k on it between changes (how ever much in 12 months)
The longer the filter stays on the more contaminants it traps. All those little holes get smaller and smaller and they filter out smaller and smaller particles so actually spector changing your oil filter that often is detrimental because you have dirty oil and a new filter on so the bigger chunks not getting filtered out by the media. If anything you use the filter for 2 oil changes. 10k miles isn't enough to saturate the media for the by-pass valve to actuate. And amsoil uses a synthetic media that has a million more pathways for the oil to squeeze thru than felt or paper. But still if your gonna change the filter do the oil too. Then there are fewer contaminants large enough to cause cylinder wall scoring. The more clogged the filter is before total saturation the better it filters. Did I make any sense?

PETOM.biz TTT
Old 03-15-2011, 02:36 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

i run Mobil 1 - 5w30 in the Mach 1 and change it every April and August , just because ....... the car rarely see's over 6,000 miles a year ....
Old 03-15-2011, 04:32 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Ok. Ford recommends 5w20 for the 3v however they do that do save millions in carbon taxes,not because of any other reason. CAFE laws are why they do it. With 5w20 the motor will get about 1 mpg better mileage. That may not seem like much however when you build millions of cars it ads up really fast. These mod motors need to rev to make any power and 5w20 will shear down quickly because of the heat and abuse. These motors because of the high rpm blasts need 100% synthetic oil. For example red-line,royal purple and amsoil qualify. Contrary to popular belief mobil 1 isn't a true synthetic. Mobil 1 uses group 3 base stocks which are a hydrocracked conventional oil. The 3 previously mentioned oil brands are a group 4 base stock=100% synthetic. Now amsoil has a line called SSO, signature series oil. It comes in a 0w30,5w30 and 10w30 weight and when used with an amsoil filter will go 25000 miles of regular driving before the additive pack has been depleted. 15000 if you keep your foot into it. The amsoil XL line has elevated levels of zddp for higher mileage engines and will go an easy 10000 mile of spirited driving before it's add-pack has been depleted. I recommend either of these 2 formulations in either the 0w30 or the 5w30 and take them right to the suggested oil change interval. Now royal purple and red-line are true synthetics and they have an added little bonus.....moly. Which in my testing in a 5.3 liter chev truck improved my mileage by 3 mpg. And I would suggest the same viscosities as above. K now moly. It's a mineral compound that is mined. It can be found at napa and the brand name is Lubro-moly. It's an oil additive that actually works. And just so I am clear I do not recommend you use the 5w20 spec. These mod motors were built to rev and once the oil gets to operating temp 5w20 has the viscosity of water. Not good protection. K well this is just my educated opinion. Take it for what it's worth. I am now just waiting for the first lemming to pop in and say'The manual says to use 5w20' and completely ignore the paragraph above. The same kind of guys who don't ask why they just follow the rest of the herd off the cliff. Anyways op I have mountains of paper on oil so if you have any other inquiries on this subject I would be happy to possibly answer. Ok lemmings,fire away

PETOM.biz TTT
Haha thank you for the very detailed and informative response. Gonna make sure my bro see's this.

Thanks again Everett!
Old 03-15-2011, 05:39 PM   #20

Region: Georgia

Hey all, I recently bought a 01' bullitt with 45k miles on it and was told from the previous owner(after flying to detroit to pick it up) to put 10w 40 in because he worked for ford for over 20yrs and he said "trust me thats what they are suppose to use" in reference to the 2v 4.6L.
Upon returning home with my new mustang I changed the oil with his 10w 40 recommendations and have put 3k miles on it. 10w 40 castrol gtx/royal purple filter.

Should I stick with his recommendations since he said he always used this type? Should I use 5w 30 or even 20? Will their be much of a performance difference besides mpg? This vehicle is garage kept as well. thoughts?
01bullittman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 05:44 PM   #21
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01bullittman
Hey all, I recently bought a 01' bullitt with 45k miles on it and was told from the previous owner(after flying to detroit to pick it up) to put 10w 40 in because he worked for ford for over 20yrs and he said "trust me thats what they are suppose to use" in reference to the 2v 4.6L.
Upon returning home with my new mustang I changed the oil with his 10w 40 recommendations and have put 3k miles on it. 10w 40 castrol gtx/royal purple filter.

Should I stick with his recommendations since he said he always used this type? Should I use 5w 30 or even 20? Will their be much of a performance difference besides mpg? This vehicle is garage kept as well. thoughts?
I don't know how much it really matters as far as weight. Hotter climates should be fine with 10w40. Start an intro thread man I wanna see that bullitt.
Alscobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 06:01 PM   #22
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01bullittman

Well I would trust fords manpower over their executives for sure. I would not drop to the 5w20 but changing to the 5w30 will give you slightly better mileage but if it ain't broke

PETOM.biz TTT
Old 03-16-2011, 08:53 AM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oregon

This question is and isn't on topic, but directed towards Everett and posted for everyone’s benefit. It does directly deal with engine oil and changes. What is you opinion on using an oil flush every so often with the oil change to help remove any build up that might be occurring? I'm a firm believer in them but then again this is my first gas engine in a long time and one that is meant to operate at higher RPM's. This will be my first engine that I plan on using synthetic oil in. So should I stick with the flushing or forgo it as old tech such as we have moved past brick cell phones and the Apple 2.
dacriss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 12:22 PM   #24
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dacriss
This question is and isn't on topic, but directed towards Everett and posted for everyone’s benefit. It does directly deal with engine oil and changes. What is you opinion on using an oil flush every so often with the oil change to help remove any build up that might be occurring? I'm a firm believer in them but then again this is my first gas engine in a long time and one that is meant to operate at higher RPM's. This will be my first engine that I plan on using synthetic oil in. So should I stick with the flushing or forgo it as old tech such as we have moved past brick cell phones and the Apple 2.
K. There are flushes like auto rx that the guys in the bob is the oil guy forum swear by. The only flush or engine 'cleaner' that I have any experience with is seafoam. If you are using synthetic oi and have been for any length of time they do a really great job of cleaning your engine already. If you have a very high mile motor engine flushes including seafoam can cause oil leaks because they clean so well they remove all the build up that is against the gaskets and then drip drip. In my old chevy it always had conventional oil,well I get the bright idea to seafoam and switch to amsoil. Bear in mind it was a 300k engine. It developed an oil leak within 3 weeks. I switched back to pennzoil and the stopped. K back to question. The only flush I have experience with is seafoam and mmo and they are more of a mild cleanser and petroleum based so their effect on gaskets and rubber isnt a problem. If your going to use one I suggest following the instructions to the letter and having a rince phase with cheap oil to be sure you got all of the cleaner out.

PETOM.biz TTT

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion