Supercharge that mofo - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-16-2011, 12:19 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Supercharge that mofo

So I've seen a bunch of people talking about how supercharges will last 150k+ w/o hurting your engine and I've also heard they are horrible for your engine. Just looking to see what it takes for upkeep and maintenance of having one. I know it depends on the type of supercharger as well. I know no one wants to spend up 10k for a s/c and end up spending even more money down the road than they thought. Expensive to maintain or is it plug and play? Any advice on adding something like this to your engine.

Old 03-16-2011, 12:25 PM   #2
Road Trip!

Region: Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by USAF_stang
So I've seen a bunch of people talking about how supercharges will last 150k+ w/o hurting your engine and I've also heard they are horrible for your engine. Just looking to see what it takes for upkeep and maintenance of having one. I know it depends on the type of supercharger as well. I know no one wants to spend up 10k for a s/c and end up spending even more money down the road than they thought. Expensive to maintain or is it plug and play? Any advice on adding something like this to your engine.
Well ford bolted an m112 to a cobra so they musta thought they were reliable. Svtlx is a boost master so I am gonna wait for his take on this

PETOM.biz TTT
Everett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 12:28 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV
Re: Supercharge that mofo

people are getting 250k+ on 03 cobras and still going strong~ it all depends on how you take care of it and if you keep it within the limits. By putting an SC on a car you increase the limits of pressure the engine will take. If the motor is not designed to go much higher than stock you will have issues. Thats one thing the next is how often you beat on the car. If you redline it all day everyday it wont last, then add on an SC and do that... even worse.

The TUNE is the most important part once you figure out the level you need the boost to be at for a daily driver so its not at the limit but in a safe area.

then upkeep, thats the next part.
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-16-2011, 12:57 PM   #4
Road Trip!

Region: Louisiana
The problem is mostly that people need more power. Strap a blower on it and later you will want more boost. You get used to the boost and it's like a drug. You got to have more. Vortec makes a great kit if you want centrifugal. Very safe and comes with everything you need except a tune I think. Twin screws I prefer. Roush probably makes a great kit for that too which should be safe. Whipple is also great. The kit description should let you know if it is safe for a stock motor. When you get used to it, you will be shopping for pulleys and then it gets dangerous for your motor. I'm at 20psi now and I'm calling that maxed out. Boost is safe and a lot of fun but don't get hooked or it will make a junkie out of you.
Alscobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 01:21 PM   #5
Road Trip!

Region: Other

Boost is definitely addicting! Once you have it, it's hard to stay out of it too.
93CobraGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 03:54 PM   #6

Region: California
But hold up wait a minute put an Edelbrock in it. They have the e force coming out for '11 GR 550h with only 6 lbs boost and the kits come with everything incl programmer and simple pulley upgrade get more boooooost. Im waiting to get mine back

black stallion
black stallion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 05:16 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kansas

My Roush427R is supercharged and it was warranted when new.. A lot of guys go the pulley and tune route to get the most out of them, but if you take a 4.6 over 500 hp you will need forged internals, which the Cobra's have I believe.
My blower is small and close to maxed out...

Blowers wake up an engine and are addictive. But if you increase the hp, you need good brakes and suspension upgrades to handle it... Supercharged engines can be dependable if you don't go for maximum power...

07 Roush 427R, Brembo 14" rotor and four piston calipers

05 GT Mustang, FRPP, FR X pipe, Hurst short throw,
American Racing Torque Thrust 10X20 wheels,
Granettelli tower brace, custom painted flat black grafix, Yellow Optima
Beav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 09:52 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina

Thanks for the input guys. On my 04 GT...how much power am I looking at before it becomes unsafe for my engine?
Old 03-18-2011, 11:48 AM   #9
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by USAF_stang
Thanks for the input guys. On my 04 GT...how much power am I looking at before it becomes unsafe for my engine?
Well I have been researching this issue right now because of my procharger and on stock internals some guys are saying 400 is living on borrowed time. Most of what I hear is 350 is safe...I guess I will find out in a month.

PETOM.biz TTT
Old 03-18-2011, 12:03 PM   #10
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everett

Well I have been researching this issue right now because of my procharger and on stock internals some guys are saying 400 is living on borrowed time. Most of what I hear is 350 is safe...I guess I will find out in a month.

PETOM.biz TTT
Everett. What parts fail first on the 2V's with high hp? I just checked and there are fluidampers available for them. Those things really work well on stock bottom ends that aren't really balanced that well from the factory. Just something to think about. If I had a boosted gt I would definitely have one.
Old 03-18-2011, 04:02 PM   #11
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alscobra

Everett. What parts fail first on the 2V's with high hp? I just checked and there are fluidampers available for them. Those things really work well on stock bottom ends that aren't really balanced that well from the factory. Just something to think about. If I had a boosted gt I would definitely have one.
From what I have read the stock connecting rods are the weak link. So far I have read the block and crank are good well beyond 600. The rods are questionable at 400. Where did you find the dampers

PETOM.biz TTT
Old 03-18-2011, 04:05 PM   #12
Road Trip!

Fluidampers web site. They may help. Can't hurt for sure.
Old 03-18-2011, 05:35 PM   #13
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alscobra
Fluidampers web site. They may help. Can't hurt for sure.
Thank you Al. Anything else that comes to mind please don't hesitate..I am all ears

PETOM.biz TTT
Old 03-18-2011, 05:38 PM   #14
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everett

Thank you Al. Anything else that comes to mind please don't hesitate..I am all ears

PETOM.biz TTT
I'm not sure about it man. We used them for pushrod motors all the time. They seem to help when you push a stock bottom end.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion