Gauge and Sensor install question - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-20-2011, 11:58 AM   #1
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Send a message via AIM to PureVenom Send a message via MSN to PureVenom Send a message via Yahoo to PureVenom
Gauge and Sensor install question

Ok, I have a gauge and a sensor I need to install on the car and they came with no instructions. The gauge has 4 wires....Red, Black, White, and Purple. I was able to figure out what those are:

Red - Power
Black - Ground
White - Sensor
Purple - Dimmer switch

Where my question lies is with the sensor. It is a 2 wire temp sensor with 2 white wires. Do those both feed into the single white wire on the gauge, or does one connect to something else?
Advertisement

Old 03-20-2011, 12:49 PM   #2
Road Trip!

I'm not sure spec. What I would do is hook up your power and ground first. Then touch the white wires together. See what happens. Could be set up for a 2 wire sensor. If not. Ground both individually. See what happens. Is this coolant or oil temp? Did it come with a sensor? Usually coolant temp sensors just have resistance to ground as temp changes.
Alscobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 07:59 PM   #3
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

Send a message via AIM to PureVenom Send a message via MSN to PureVenom Send a message via Yahoo to PureVenom
This is a coolant temp sensor going into my heat exchanger reservoir tank. It came with the sensor, some wire, and the gauge.
Advertisement

Old 03-20-2011, 08:03 PM   #4
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PureVenom
This is a coolant temp sensor going into my heat exchanger reservoir tank. It came with the sensor, some wire, and the gauge.
I haven't seen one of those yet. That's good to know. The tank is not grounded I think. The sensor should have 2 wires then that should both lead to the gauge. My best guess. If you touch both wires together it should either peg out or go full cold. The sensor should be just a thermal resistor type.
Alscobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 09:29 AM   #5
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

Re: Gauge and Sensor install question

Yeah, would have been nice to have some directions with it. The directions for the killer chiller kit were detailed as hell....then zero instructions for the included gauge and sensor. Hell, even the two pieces of wire they gave me to run from the sensor to the gauge are different lengths and neither reach the sensor from the gauge...so that must mean one runs through the engine compartment and then joins with the second one in the passenger compartment to run the rest of the way to the gauge.

But, that's my best guess as like I said...zero instructions...just a bunch of splicers and butt connectors.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion