Windows & Tracks - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 04-13-2011, 09:31 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
Send a message via AIM to Ryan Sko
Windows & Tracks

So recently my window fell off it's track and I had brought it to my mechanic. A thing I am wishing I did on my own. Basically my mechanic took the door panel off and removed the tracks, cleaned the old glue off them then had a guy come in and reglue the tracks. This **** charged me 125$ for the job, and that was the gluer's pay.. my mechanic didn't charge me for his labor.

Not only did I have to reschedule my tint appointment which pissed me off, but I had just noticed after picking it up today that the rear edge of the window is not snug to the weather stripping as it should be and how it is on the driver side. There are 2 little gaps one is about 1 inch the other a quarter inch where you can see right inside the car. I'm thinking they set the window too far towards the front of the car?

Was wondering if this would mean they'd have to redo the whole tracks or not.. if so I'm not giving this jerk off another penny being that he didn't do the job right the first time. Second off, it's going to mean I'd have to reschedule my tint appointment once again. After gluing the tracks they said not to put the window down for 3 days, which they need to do for tinting the car.

Maybe I'm just being a little cry baby, but I'm not going to ignore this problem and get the car tinted this week if it's not going to be right, I want this **** done right.

Basically what I'm asking is, what do you think will need to be done? Can they just take the panel off and slide the window back on the track a little bit or what?
Advertisement

Old 04-18-2011, 03:55 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Re: Windows & Tracks

****kkkkkkkkk. I have to reschedule my window tint AGAIN because this tool that did my window and didn't place it right is busy till Thursday. Has anyone had this issue, here is a picture to help you understand. I want to just fix this on my own before Wednesday so I can get the damn thing tinted already!

Basically, the light line to the left of the window is where the window was placed when I bought the car, since this guy 'fixed' it, its in the current location shown in the picture. Which isn't right.. there is only a HAIR of weather stripping behind the window. It doesn't leak but it doesnt look right from the outside, nor inside when I have them down to the spot that I like. On the driver side there is only a tiny slot between the stripping and the window, on the passenger there is a twice the size slot. He glued the tracks in, so IDK how it will work to fix. Maybe he just set it wrong, or is he gonna have to take the tracks back off and move them over a bit?

ANYONE know how to fix this and if so is it possible on my own?
Old 04-18-2011, 03:58 PM   #3
Road Trip!

Region: Louisiana
Take off your door panel. There are some small bolts that hold your window regulator on the inner door panel. Loosen them and slide the window in the direction you want. Then tighten them and try it.
Alscobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-18-2011, 04:14 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alscobra View Post
Take off your door panel. There are some small bolts that hold your window regulator on the inner door panel. Loosen them and slide the window in the direction you want. Then tighten them and try it.
Al, thanks a ton, I'm going to call my mechanic tomorrow and see if he's willing to help me with it. If not, I'll get a few friends together and try it. It's bull**** that this guy already got his money for the job and when asked to come back and fix it he takes his sweet *** time. Finish a damn job the right way before going on to make more money, in my opinion. Never going through this prick again.

I'ma look into it and see if I can tackle this on my own. Thanks again Al.
Old 04-18-2011, 06:08 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Fixing it tomorrow, I'll let ya'll know how it goes. If it works out tinting gets done Wednesday!
Old 04-18-2011, 06:31 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut

Shoot I would take it back to that guy and have him fix it again for nothing. If I would pay that I would expect it to be fixed right otherwise you could have done it wrong on your own also.
gixxer007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 09:12 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

I tried, but that's the thing. I paid out of the *** for this guy to do it the wrong way. Hell no, went back to my mechanic Thursday, he's closed Sundays. He said we'd set it up for Monday/Tuesday. I asked him nicely to do that and told him I have a tint appointment Wednesday and already canceled one I don't want to cancel on the guy again. He said okay. I went back today and he said we're set for Thursday. I bit my tongue and said okay that's cool I'll see you then.

I got this advice and I'm getting help from my other mechanic to work on the door ourselves tomorrow. This way it'll be ready for tinting, then I'll just roll up with tints and say scratch Thursday.

I would like the guy to fix it but dude is too busy doing jobs wrong that he's getting paid for to fix my car. The story behind my mechanics is they all 3 worked together, the one who had a guy do my window left the other 2 and opened his own shop. All 3 are family friends but the one who did my window has been the longest friend. I go to him because the guys he left have been in town for a long time and have a good clientele. But clearly helping a friend isn't worth ****ty work.. the other 2 guys do real good work. So I'm just gonna go through them.
Old 04-19-2011, 03:33 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Alright, so me and my other mechanic took the door panel off and we were going to adjust the window ourselves. We saw that basically, my first mechanic ****ed up the window by putting it down and broke the glue when I went back to show him the misplacement of the window. So now I have no choice but to wait till Thursday for the other dude to come in and reglue it. This means that I can't get my windows tinted... or can I....

The good news of today is, I went into the tint shop and basically told the guy my situation. He told me the reason he rescheduled me for next week is because tinting a full car is a time consuming job for them being that one guy does it. He suggested me come in tomorrow for my appointment and he tints the rear window and the two quarter windows. So when the passenger window is fixed I can get squeezed in on a sooner day because its only a two window job. So tomorrow the back end will be tinted!

The thing I'm wondering is we noticed the guy glued the window to the tracks.. I thought they glue the track to the door. Can someone tell me why they glue the window to the track, that is normal right? lol
Old 04-19-2011, 06:25 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas

Sounds like you are making progress... how dark of tint are you going with?
Old 04-19-2011, 06:42 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Tomorrow I'm doing 20% on the quarter windows and rear window. Then I got till Monday to decide if I want 20% on the drive/passenger or 35%.. probably going 20 all around.

I'm trying to figure out if I want to vinyl the top of the rear window or run the tint all the way up.. not sure yet.
Old 04-19-2011, 06:47 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

25% Is as dark as you can go in Texas. They now check it during you annual State inspection. If you're darker the fail you, but you still have to pay.
Old 04-19-2011, 07:01 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

We just got our tint off the inspection, so you can now pass with them. However, the cops can write you a ticket for them if they are too dark. My dad has 20's on his truck, but the difference is I'm a young man in a sports car, so I'll probably attract more attention. My friend has 20's on his Camaro SS for years and never got pulled over.. so I should be good!
Old 04-20-2011, 03:33 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

AND ??? did you get the back ones done??
Old 04-20-2011, 03:37 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Its in the shop now, should be done soon. I'll get pics up when its done, I'm getting antsy!
Old 04-20-2011, 05:22 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Got the car back about a hour ago, the rear window and the two quarter windows are done.. 20%, this is the pic in the sunlight.

When the sun goes down in a bit I'll get a picture of it for you guys!
Old 04-23-2011, 07:00 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York

Looks good! Tint always makes a car look just that much nicer.
Old 04-23-2011, 08:50 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks, its not even done yet. That pic doesn't show the full effect because the sides are not yet done! When they are ill have full pics in a new thread.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion