5.4 engine swap in 96 stang - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 04-20-2011, 10:26 PM   #1

Region: Texas
5.4 engine swap in 96 stang

First time on this site. I currently looking to do a 2002 Lightning 5.4L swap into my 96 stang. And I was wondering if anyone on here has done this swap. I have read some articles about this swap. That the only difference between the 4.6 and the 5.4 is the deck height. They say the wiring harness and the accessories are the same. But my main concern is the ECM 4.6 compatible with the 5.4. I have found a company in Florida that will custom mill me the 2000 cobra r upper and lower intake manifold for $1200 and it will allow me to run a stock hood without any interference. I have also read that some have used the tubular k member so that way the engine sits lower for extra clearance under the hood. I have a lot questions to ask about this before I make a final decision on this. Any help or advise would be greatly appreciated.
WarHorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-20-2011, 10:39 PM   #2
Road Trip!

Region: North Carolina
Re: 5.4 engine swap in 96 stang

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarHorse View Post
First time on this site. I currently looking to do a 2002 Lightning 5.4L swap into my 96 stang. And I was wondering if anyone on here has done this swap. I have read some articles about this swap. That the only difference between the 4.6 and the 5.4 is the deck height. They say the wiring harness and the accessories are the same. But my main concern is the ECM 4.6 compatible with the 5.4. I have found a company in Florida that will custom mill me the 2000 cobra r upper and lower intake manifold for $1200 and it will allow me to run a stock hood without any interference. I have also read that some have used the tubular k member so that way the engine sits lower for extra clearance under the hood. I have a lot questions to ask about this before I make a final decision on this. Any help or advise would be greatly appreciated.
I know a guy that put a 5.4 from a Navigator into a 2001 Cobra....now it wasn't supercharged and he had to cut the hood some underneath to get it to fit..but you said you had some things to help this....I'm guesisng you have the '96 GT or is it a Cobra?
2008Shelby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 07:06 AM   #3

Region: Texas
Actually it's a base coupe, but I have been planning this project for a while since I ran across this complete set up from a lightning. There is a company I ran across in Florida that makes reproduction 00 cobra r intakes there a little pricey, but they say these intake are an exact match to the originals. Now as for the k member I'm not sure about. That why got on here to see if anyone has done one before and what were the steps they took. I really need to see how many man hours it took from start to finish. Cause I'm taking the SC off and putting the reproduction intake on there and I'm going to run twin 78 turbos on it.
WarHorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-21-2011, 12:01 PM   #4
mrc
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida

You should try the moddedmustang.com forums. I know a few guys over there have done or atleast tried to complete the swap.
mrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 04:29 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut

Sounds like a heck of a good project keep us posted how it works out for you.
gixxer007 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion