experience with pp, gc or rotella 5w40 syn? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 04-26-2011, 10:57 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
experience with pp, gc or rotella 5w40 syn?

Hello fello stang owners. After searching for 3 hrs and hearing nothing but chanting for 5w20, I decided to post... I just finished putting together my motor(95 mkviii short block, rebuilt 98 cobra heads). The vehicle is my 98 cobra. The problem is my "new short block" had over 100k miles. When it was all said and done power was great but I hear a clear bottom end tick towards the rear of the motor. I'm paranoid of oil weight cause the other techs at work say its the sound of wear. I'm curious to try gc 0w30 or rotella 5w40. BTW the short block was changed due to my cobra bottom end spinning 7 and 8 rod bearings and worn rings.
mz98snake is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-27-2011, 11:55 PM   #2
Road Trip!

Send a message via Skype™ to Texastboneking
Well I can confirm spinning 7 and 8 rob bearings. Mine did it two weeks ago at 130,000 miles. I'm a mechanic at a ford dealership and I also questioned the oil thicknesses. The reason ford recommends 5w20 is they state that any thicker oil would not properly lubricate the valve-train. Not sure if this is completely true but that was the reason I was given.
Texastboneking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 01:52 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Well the spun rod bearing on my old block sounded completely different that the lower end moderately loud tick im getting now. It's the risk I took using a used mark viii block. Oh well. It still runs great. Just wondering if the rotella could maybe prolong its life a lil.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-28-2011, 01:54 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

And I hear u on the valvetrain but motorcraft used to sell 10w40.
Old 04-28-2011, 07:39 AM   #5
Road Trip!

Re: experience with pp, gc or rotella 5w40 syn?

the reason it sounds like its not in the lower end is because the sound your hearing isnt in the lower end. the sound is your piston slapping the sidewall because it is not getting a smooth stroke. look at that cylinders wall and you would see scratches all up and down it
Old 04-28-2011, 10:31 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Sorry, I believe were misunderstanding each other. The short block removed from the cobra had the spun bearings. The short block installed from the mark viii turned out to have piston slap. My actual question was what effects would rotella 5w40 have. I.e. any improvement at all. When I said I was with u on understanding the valve train lubrication needs. When I tore the motor down I saw how tight the cam tolerances were. But than again the cobra r and gt uses 5w50. So I don't see how 5w40 would cause harm. Also I'm experiencing a bit of fuel saturation and hoping the rotella would hold up against it better than most oils as its ment for diesel.
Old 04-28-2011, 10:06 PM   #7
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mz98snake View Post
Sorry, I believe were misunderstanding each other. The short block removed from the cobra had the spun bearings. The short block installed from the mark viii turned out to have piston slap. My actual question was what effects would rotella 5w40 have. I.e. any improvement at all. When I said I was with u on understanding the valve train lubrication needs. When I tore the motor down I saw how tight the cam tolerances were. But than again the cobra r and gt uses 5w50. So I don't see how 5w40 would cause harm. Also I'm experiencing a bit of fuel saturation and hoping the rotella would hold up against it better than most oils as its ment for diesel.
my bad i got confused. well i have a friend that has ran 5w40 for 2 years now in his 4.6 truck. he has had no problems. i dont think it would hurt but any ford dealership will say it will. you could give it a shot and if you start to hear valve train noise you could change back real quick. the only time i think you would have trouble is when its thick at cold startup. but im not sure cause i havent tried it
Old 04-28-2011, 10:16 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Cool. I think ima do it next week. Shouldn't be any thicker than a 5w30 at cold start do to the same low point weight. It's when at operating temp the 40 weight comes into play. Do u know anybody using German Castrol? And do u see alot of piston slap issues at work. I'm a Nissan tech and get a lot of wrist pin issues.
Old 04-28-2011, 10:19 PM   #9
Road Trip!

Quote:
Cool. I think ima do it next week. Shouldn't be any thicker than a 5w30 at cold start do to the same low point weight. It's when at operating temp the 40 weight comes into play. Do u know anybody using German Castrol? And do u see alot of piston slap issues at work. I'm a Nissan tech and get a lot of wrist pin issues.
is there a differance between castrol and german castrol? my grandpa uses nothing but castrol in his f150. 4 years strong now
Old 04-28-2011, 10:21 PM   #10
Road Trip!

Quote:
since i work at the dealership i get a deal on motorcraft. so i dont know much about the other oils out there. i love the 14.95 oil change lol
Old 04-28-2011, 10:31 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Oh wow 14.95 for 7qts and a filter! Sorry not everybody knows about German castrol. What it is, its castrol syntec 0w30 that says 'made in Germany' on the back label. For some reason its the only "real" synthetic castrol sells as all the others are referred to as group 3(dino oil with an additive pack to make it a synthetic) the gc as its referred to has excellent wear protection as well as being the thickest of the 30 weighted oil. That's German castrol in a nutshell. I can't find it in me to tell u to search. That's uncool in my book.
Old 04-28-2011, 10:35 PM   #12
Road Trip!

Quote:
Oh wow 14.95 for 7qts and a filter!
yeah. thats why i havent tried other oils lol. too good of a deal.
Old 04-28-2011, 10:42 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Tell me bout it. Our dealer owns a Ford dealer. Might ask them as my employee discount applies. Do I just ask for the 14.95 discount? Lol. Is it the syn blend 5w30?
Old 04-28-2011, 10:45 PM   #14
Road Trip!

Quote:
Tell me bout it. Our dealer owns a Ford dealer. Might ask them as my employee discount applies. Do I just ask for the 14.95 discount? Lol. Is it the syn blend 5w30?
well our dealership gives out 14.95 oil changes everynow and then. i just get that deal all the time. and depends on your dealer. they may not allow it. and our dealer uses 5w20. so i get the 820 motorcraft filter and 7 quarts 5w20 synthetic blend. witch dealer are you located at?
Old 04-28-2011, 10:50 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Casa Nissan. And across the street its casa Ford. Also read Ur post on another thread bout how Urs is limping u around. Dude sounds exactly like me. Bought mine for 5k. Spun bearings like 3 wks later. Drove it like that for 9 months! Than it seized... lol
Old 04-28-2011, 11:02 PM   #16
Road Trip!

Quote:
Casa Nissan. And across the street its casa Ford. Also read Ur post on another thread bout how Urs is limping u around. Dude sounds exactly like me. Bought mine for 5k. Spun bearings like 3 wks later. Drove it like that for 9 months! Than it seized... lol
well was limping me around lol... threw the rod today around 6 oclock lol
Old 05-29-2011, 06:31 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Just wanted to leave a follow up. The rotella 5w40 seemed to work perfect. Engine much quiter, doesn't feel like its robbed any power.
Old 05-30-2011, 01:01 AM   #18
Road Trip!

just curious. where are you from?
Old 05-30-2011, 11:22 AM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Pm sent

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion