Replacing my clutch... - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 06-08-2011, 09:18 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Replacing my clutch...

I have an 03 v6 3.8L, I have to replace the clutch due to either the pressure plate or a bearing. I was quoted around $350 just for labor and to remachine my flywheel. I'm trying to get out for as cheap as I can with labor. Any ideas? I've done work on the car by myself in the past but I've never messed with the tranny. Any ideas or comments please let me know. Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20110608_221734.png
Views:	91
Size:	388.0 KB
ID:	27681  
TaylorF25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-08-2011, 10:21 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Mississippi
Send a message via AIM to Knight F Mohawk
Re: Replacing my clutch...

If you're not comfortable, I wouldn't do it. Realistically, pulling and reinstalling a manual trans in a mustang is a cake walk as long as yourself, and the friend that helps you, are substantially sized to do some picking up or pushing if needed......though it may not be needed.

$350 to R&R the trans and resurface the flywheel sounds about right. I'm guessing the R&R w/ clutch and flywheel R&R is rated at 3-5 hours, and there will be a fee to resurface the flywheel.

If you do this, go ahead and replace the clutch if it hasn't been replaced in awhile. A new clutch set should include a throw out bearing and pilot bearing.

-Will
Old 06-09-2011, 05:41 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Sounds good thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-09-2011, 07:01 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

My only other question is what's the best way for me to learn how to do the replace?
Old 06-09-2011, 08:26 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV

You have a T-5 trans, rather easy to work on. You can take the trans out without removing the bell housing unlike GT guys lol. You could do it yourself if you wanted~ but you HAVE TO MAKE SURE you do it all correct and you will need a few tools here and there.

You want to replace the pilot bearing, replace/resurface the flyweel (depending on need), inspect the input shaft for play must be in tolerance else fix it, inspect the sleeve the throwout slides on replace if ANY signs of wear (replace with steel honestly), replace throwout bearing with HD version from Ford (those little bastards are a nightmare... love to tick and squeek if not done right might can even pack more greese in it not sure)

replace fluid of course (cheap why not!) then install with new clutch. I would go back with OEM they hold more power than most will ever need and are good.

A shop would be good to do it IF they are good with warranty and if anything is not right etc... the issue is clutches sometimes chatter and such or the throwout goes bad quick... shops LOVE to blame it on the owner or that it needs a break in period... then when its broken in and still does it... its got to many miles to fix ha...
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 01:06 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

I tryed to find someone to help me that has done it before but its looking like ill have to take it to a shop and bite the labor. Just a little rough with the money but it needs to be done.
Old 06-09-2011, 06:29 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Mississippi
Send a message via AIM to Knight F Mohawk

If you have any friends who know how to pull/put the trans in a foxbody......they can walk you through this

-Will

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion