Engine swap, here we go - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 07-04-2011, 07:51 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 173
Engine swap, here we go

Ok, so I bought a 2001 3.8l with high hopes for performance. What an idiot, lol. Come to find out, 3.8l were all show and no go. So, that being said, I want to do an engine swap but I have a few questions. What engine will I be able to swap with with the least amount of mods. I know the tranny and gears are going to have to be changed, but as far as moving motor mounts, I would like to try to avoid that. Any suggestions? I am not going to buy a v8, trade for a v8, or anything like that. I am keeping this car, so lets roll with that. And yes, I know this is about to get expensive.
Mustanglife is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 07-04-2011, 08:06 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular
 
Jamesgt08's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Region: Texas
Posts: 1,361
I would go for an 03/04 cobra motor and tranny rear end fuel pump.
Jamesgt08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 08:13 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamesgt08
I would go for an 03/04 cobra motor and tranny rear end fuel pump.
That would require me moving the motor mounts rightm
Mustanglife is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 07-04-2011, 08:18 PM   #4
Road Trip!
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Region: Texas
Posts: 2,223
Send a message via Skype™ to Texastboneking
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustanglife

That would require me moving the motor mounts rightm
Nope. Just new k member
Texastboneking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 08:19 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular
 
Jamesgt08's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Region: Texas
Posts: 1,361
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustanglife

That would require me moving the motor mounts rightm
Yea i think you will need a new k-member. But it will be worth it.
Jamesgt08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 08:29 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 173
Gotcha gotcha. Getting my hands on a cobra motor its gonna be difficult. Really all I need is the block to start. Gonna build the engine outside the car first. Then when its done, drop it in. As for the tranny, any suggestions? Writing harness? ECU? Rear end?
Mustanglife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 08:29 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 173
Wiring*
Mustanglife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 08:30 PM   #8
Road Trip!
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Region: Texas
Posts: 2,223
Send a message via Skype™ to Texastboneking
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustanglife
Gotcha gotcha. Getting my hands on a cobra motor its gonna be difficult. Really all I need is the block to start. Gonna build the engine outside the car first. Then when its done, drop it in. As for the tranny, any suggestions? Writing harness? ECU? Rear end?
Gearheads engines sells them pretty cheap and they have a 3 year unlimited mile warranty.
Texastboneking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 08:33 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texastboneking

Gearheads engines sells them pretty cheap and they have a 3 year unlimited mile warranty.
Awesome, I will check them out. Would rather buy that way then from a junkyard. Never know what you will get from there anyway
Mustanglife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 08:35 PM   #10
Road Trip!
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Region: Texas
Posts: 2,223
Send a message via Skype™ to Texastboneking
Right. I wanna say a long block for a 01 cobra engine was like 4000. Which is cheap for a cobra. But I could be wrong so check and don't quote me lol
Texastboneking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 08:40 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texastboneking
Right. I wanna say a long block for a 01 cobra engine was like 4000. Which is cheap for a cobra. But I could be wrong so check and don't quote me lol
Nice
Mustanglife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 08:56 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 173
Found a ford racing boss modular 5.0 engine block for &1209.99 on american muscle. Sound good?
Mustanglife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 08:57 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 173
Says everything but pistons will fit this engine from a stock gt 4.6l
Mustanglife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 09:11 PM   #14
Road Trip!
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Region: Texas
Posts: 2,223
Send a message via Skype™ to Texastboneking
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustanglife
Says everything but pistons will fit this engine from a stock gt 4.6l
So it's a bored 4.6 liter. Are you planning on building an engine???
Texastboneking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 09:15 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texastboneking

So it's a bored 4.6 liter. Are you planning on building an engine???
Yea, thats why all I am looking for is the block. Less parts for me to have to throw away. Besides, at least that way I can make it how I want it from the start. At least that seems more logical to me. I dont see the the point in buying a fully built engine. Theres no pride in that. And I dont see the point in paying the price for a built engine when I am just going to be changing parts for what I want anyway.
Mustanglife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 09:17 PM   #16
Road Trip!
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Region: Texas
Posts: 2,223
Send a message via Skype™ to Texastboneking
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustanglife

Yea, thats why all I am looking for is the block. Less parts for me to have to throw away. Besides, at least that way I can make it how I want it from the start. At least that seems more logical to me. I dont see the the point in buying a fully built engine. Theres no pride in that. And I dont see the point in paying the price for a built engine when I am just going to be changing parts for what I want anyway.
Go for a 5.0 build then lol
Texastboneking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 09:18 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 173
My next concern would be the chasis. At what point am I going to have to beef it up? Is the v6 chasis the same as a v8 gt/cobra chasis? Am I going to have to change the whole axle or just the gears? What ECU am I going to need? What wiring harness?
Mustanglife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 09:20 PM   #18
Road Trip!
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Region: Texas
Posts: 2,223
Send a message via Skype™ to Texastboneking
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustanglife
My next concern would be the chasis. At what point am I going to have to beef it up? Is the v6 chasis the same as a v8 gt/cobra chasis? Am I going to have to change the whole axle or just the gears? What ECU am I going to need? What wiring harness?
Call a tuner for the harness and wiring harness he will have to tune the car to run right so he will know what you need. The unibody is the same for v6 to cobra.
Texastboneking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 10:13 AM   #19
Titus Wadicus
Regular
 
svtlx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Region: Ohio
Posts: 2,103
Send a message via Yahoo to svtlx
Re: Engine swap, here we go

i would do a pushrod 5.0 swap... you dont have to change the k-member, just run wut u brought. and if your rock'n a t-5 in your tunnel, you can also keep that. you just have to upgrade to a v8 flywheel. you can use a 94-95 gt harness, and there are sum other wire harness options available. you could even do a explorer 5.0 harness conversion and have yourself a "dis" system and already set-up for returnless fuel.

then you can upgrade the rear end to an 8.8. or just drop in a trac-lok , if your on a budget and dont plan on racing the car (no slicks or dot's). i been runing a 7.5 with 3.45 gears and a frpp trac-lok with for over 5yrs w/450hp and no problems
__________________

bbk ssi, 70ml t.b., bbk adj.reg., bd11-a 11psi, e-cam,
racing aod, 2700 stall, 3.42 gears, ported e7, 308ci, 1.7rr, comp .560valve springs, gear drive, high dwell module, msd 6a & coil, bbk off road xpipe, mac cat back, 30lbs inj, pro-m 90mm, welded subframe connectors, boxed upper & lower trailing arms, spherical axle bushings, 255/50/16 tires, 255lph pump, 456hp
svtlx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 10:16 AM   #20
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by svtlx
i would do a pushrod 5.0 swap... you dont have to change the k-member, just run wut u brought. and if your rock'n a t-5 in your tunnel, you can also keep that. you just have to upgrade to a v8 flywheel. you can use a 94-95 gt harness, and there are sum other wire harness options available. you could even do a explorer 5.0 harness conversion and have yourself a "dis" system and already set-up for returnless fuel.

then you can upgrade the rear end to an 8.8. or just drop in a trac-lok , if your on a budget and dont plan on racing the car (no slicks or dot's). i been runing a 7.5 with 3.45 gears and a frpp trac-lok with for over 5yrs w/450hp and no problems
That sounds good, but I really want a cobra engine. Is it just me, or do they have a unique sound? But your idea sound cheaper since I am on a budget
Mustanglife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 10:26 AM   #21
Road Trip!
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Region: Texas
Posts: 2,223
Send a message via Skype™ to Texastboneking
Quote:
Originally Posted by svtlx
i would do a pushrod 5.0 swap... you dont have to change the k-member, just run wut u brought. and if your rock'n a t-5 in your tunnel, you can also keep that. you just have to upgrade to a v8 flywheel. you can use a 94-95 gt harness, and there are sum other wire harness options available. you could even do a explorer 5.0 harness conversion and have yourself a "dis" system and already set-up for returnless fuel.

then you can upgrade the rear end to an 8.8. or just drop in a trac-lok , if your on a budget and dont plan on racing the car (no slicks or dot's). i been runing a 7.5 with 3.45 gears and a frpp trac-lok with for over 5yrs w/450hp and no problems
Good engine. But he will never be able to get it inspected...
Texastboneking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 10:27 AM   #22
Road Trip!
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Region: Texas
Posts: 2,223
Send a message via Skype™ to Texastboneking
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustanglife

That sounds good, but I really want a cobra engine. Is it just me, or do they have a unique sound? But your idea sound cheaper since I am on a budget
Trust me they have a very distinct sound
Texastboneking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 11:40 AM   #23
Titus Wadicus
Regular
 
svtlx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Region: Ohio
Posts: 2,103
Send a message via Yahoo to svtlx
Re: Engine swap, here we go

well itsa thought.... the cobra conversion is just so fukn pricey imo. if i was gonna do one i would use a crown vic. i saw a guy on youtube wit one. it was freakn crazy watchn a vicky blow by wit the blower whine... now thatsa sleeper...lol.

im getn real close to startn my '97 3.8 to 5.0 conversion... lemme know if i can answer any questions for u.
__________________

bbk ssi, 70ml t.b., bbk adj.reg., bd11-a 11psi, e-cam,
racing aod, 2700 stall, 3.42 gears, ported e7, 308ci, 1.7rr, comp .560valve springs, gear drive, high dwell module, msd 6a & coil, bbk off road xpipe, mac cat back, 30lbs inj, pro-m 90mm, welded subframe connectors, boxed upper & lower trailing arms, spherical axle bushings, 255/50/16 tires, 255lph pump, 456hp
svtlx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 11:45 AM   #24
Road Trip!
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Region: Texas
Posts: 2,223
Send a message via Skype™ to Texastboneking
Quote:
Originally Posted by svtlx
well itsa thought.... the cobra conversion is just so fukn pricey imo. if i was gonna do one i would use a crown vic. i saw a guy on youtube wit one. it was freakn crazy watchn a vicky blow by wit the blower whine... now thatsa sleeper...lol.

im getn real close to startn my '97 3.8 to 5.0 conversion... lemme know if i can answer any questions for u.
It's pricy and the 5.0 is a great motor. Just gonna be near impossible to get inspected. How do you plan to get yours inspected or do you not need an inspection where you live?
Texastboneking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 11:46 AM   #25
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by svtlx
well itsa thought.... the cobra conversion is just so fukn pricey imo. if i was gonna do one i would use a crown vic. i saw a guy on youtube wit one. it was freakn crazy watchn a vicky blow by wit the blower whine... now thatsa sleeper...lol.

im getn real close to startn my '97 3.8 to 5.0 conversion... lemme know if i can answer any questions for u.
Just had a guy hit me up wanting to sell me his 5.0 motor. Havent seen it yet though. You and I might bee getting to know another pretty well if I get that engine, lol. And I agree. I called AM and was taking about a cobra swap, gonna be hella expensive. Since I dont have the cabbage, lol, I am gonna have to get what I can get, know what I mean?
Mustanglife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 12:26 PM   #26
Titus Wadicus
Regular
 
svtlx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Region: Ohio
Posts: 2,103
Send a message via Yahoo to svtlx
Re: Engine swap, here we go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texastboneking View Post
It's pricy and the 5.0 is a great motor. Just gonna be near impossible to get inspected. How do you plan to get yours inspected or do you not need an inspection where you live?
there's no inspection in my part of ohio. and when i lived where there was one, i just let it fail 3 times and get an exemption. i got .529 lift, no cats, and 11psi of boost. it's not passing anyones inspection.
__________________

bbk ssi, 70ml t.b., bbk adj.reg., bd11-a 11psi, e-cam,
racing aod, 2700 stall, 3.42 gears, ported e7, 308ci, 1.7rr, comp .560valve springs, gear drive, high dwell module, msd 6a & coil, bbk off road xpipe, mac cat back, 30lbs inj, pro-m 90mm, welded subframe connectors, boxed upper & lower trailing arms, spherical axle bushings, 255/50/16 tires, 255lph pump, 456hp
svtlx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 12:33 PM   #27
Titus Wadicus
Regular
 
svtlx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Region: Ohio
Posts: 2,103
Send a message via Yahoo to svtlx
Re: Engine swap, here we go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustanglife View Post
Just had a guy hit me up wanting to sell me his 5.0 motor. Havent seen it yet though. You and I might bee getting to know another pretty well if I get that engine, lol. And I agree. I called AM and was taking about a cobra swap, gonna be hella expensive. Since I dont have the cabbage, lol, I am gonna have to get what I can get, know what I mean?
just lemme know.... p.m. me and i will give u my number. there are a few details that u have to know bout if u do a 5.0. also, just bout everything from a fox will transfer to the 94-03.. this will make your swap more affordable. all my suspension, exhaust, fuel pump, and everything else from my 92 coupe bolted right up.

im not a mod motor expert, but i could help a lil bit if u go that route also.
__________________

bbk ssi, 70ml t.b., bbk adj.reg., bd11-a 11psi, e-cam,
racing aod, 2700 stall, 3.42 gears, ported e7, 308ci, 1.7rr, comp .560valve springs, gear drive, high dwell module, msd 6a & coil, bbk off road xpipe, mac cat back, 30lbs inj, pro-m 90mm, welded subframe connectors, boxed upper & lower trailing arms, spherical axle bushings, 255/50/16 tires, 255lph pump, 456hp
svtlx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 12:39 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 173
Sounds like a plan
Mustanglife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 12:41 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular
 
Jamesgt08's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Region: Texas
Posts: 1,361
What part of houston are you from?
Jamesgt08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 12:42 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamesgt08
What part of houston are you from?
Porter
Mustanglife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 12:52 PM   #31
A.K.A. Baby-D!
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Region: Louisiana
Posts: 1,871
Re: Engine swap, here we go

make sure to post lots of pics and info regarding to the swap. have fun and good luck!
__________________
Current:
2011 V6 MCA Premium--the daily
1989 GT--the project
Previous:
2004 V6--my first pony
1988 GT--July 2010 MOTM
04TRV6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 12:53 PM   #32
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by 04TRV6
make sure to post lots of pics and info regarding to the swap. have fun and good luck!
Well do, thank you
Mustanglife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 12:53 PM   #33
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 173
Will*
Mustanglife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 01:05 PM   #34
Registered Member
Regular
 
Jamesgt08's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Region: Texas
Posts: 1,361
Ur not that far from me. I live near humble. My gf lives in porter.
Jamesgt08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 01:05 PM   #35
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 173
Right on
Mustanglife is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
v6 swap to cobra will21 Pre-2005 V6 Mustang 43 09-07-2011 05:56 PM
Strange engine swap idea ArmyStang 1996-2004 Mustang GT 25 07-05-2011 11:29 AM
4.2L engine from a 98 3.8L bmabbott Pre-2005 V6 Mustang 11 07-01-2011 10:09 PM
engine swaps will21 Pre-2005 V6 Mustang 4 06-30-2011 10:54 AM
Auto to manual swap Jamesgt08 1996-2004 Mustang GT 6 06-25-2011 02:45 PM

» Like Us On Facebook



10:27 AM


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0

MustangEvolution.com is in no way associated with or endorsed by Ford Motor Company.